• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:57
CEST 05:57
KST 12:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9217 users

[NASL] Day 9-3 - Page 25

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next All
short
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden148 Posts
June 11 2011 19:05 GMT
#481
Strelok is such a nice guy.
Batch
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden692 Posts
June 11 2011 19:13 GMT
#482
On June 12 2011 03:26 Zihn wrote:
I cant watch the EU NASL.tv stream here in Denmark without getting so mutch lag that it's unwatchable.
But!!!! if i connect to my NA VPN and try to watch the same EU NASL.tv stream i can now watch it without lag at all and this is how i have been watching NASL...

I realy would like to know why the EU stream for NASL is only for americans ???

Also i get a ton of comercials on the stream when i use the NA VPN and no comercials if i just connect with my danish connection.

I get no a lag at all on any of the streams (EU or US) from Sweden. The problem is probably on your side or with your ISP.
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
June 11 2011 19:20 GMT
#483
On June 11 2011 18:23 Xeris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2011 16:17 Defacer wrote:
On June 11 2011 14:22 Gretorp wrote:
the latter is more important though.


I think you can be openly critical of someone and be on good terms with them. It's just a matter of being lighthearted, honest, and most importantly, right.

Both you and InControl are capable of having fun with or critiquing a person's game, and not the person themselves. There's a big difference. I obviously don't know any of the pro's the way you do, but I hope that they are mature enough to understand the difference.



What kind of sports casters say "ya this guy is a fucking clown and played like garbage"... First of all, nobody in this league is a terrible / bad player. Secondly, nobody who wasn't a pro is in a position to tell a pro player that they played badly. You think they played badly, do it better yourself. Thirdly, the job of a broadcaster is to analyze and hype.

Anyone who says "NASL casters don't criticize the players" has never listened to the NASL. Does the term Artosis pylon ring a bell? That reason that term came into being was because iNcontroL/Gretorp trolled Artosis for stupidly powering all his production with one pylon. Instead of saying "PLayer X played fucking shitty," we say things like "if he had done X Y and Z, he might have been in a better position," or, "Player X won the decisive battle because his concave was vastly superior to Player Y." This way we're not disparaging any of our players.

Do you think anyone would take our league seriously if the casters talked about how bad the players are playing all the time? That's just fucking dumb.



I think you're mischaracterizing my response, and think that somehow I'm criticizing Gretorp for not being 'critical enough', when I haven't suggested anything along those lines. In fact, I stated that Gretorp and InControl are both more than capable of doing this. We're not in disagreement at all.

I was responding to Gretorp suggestion that while being critical of players during a cast is important, maintaining relationships is more important. This was my attempt at being diplomatic and suggesting it's important to do both.

Did I suggest that a sportscaster say, "ya this guy is a fucking clown and played like garbage"? NO. That is 100% some bullshit that you imagined I said.

But fuck it, I'll bite.

In a collegial atmosphere, where the participants are mature, likeable and sociable human beings, someone like InControl or Gretorp should be able to say, "Man, Tyler is playing pretty bad right now." In fact, they should even be able to be cavalier about it, and say, "Wow, this absolutely the worst army control I've seen this week." T

his kind of criticism should be able to happen without Tyler, the NASL staff, or the fans suddenly freaking out and saying, "Holy shit, InControl thinks Tyler sucks at Starcraft!" There's a big difference between having a bad game and being a bad player.

Honestly though, considering how you yourself Xeris chose to overreact to my post, I don't know if that's ever going to happen in this hype-sensitive community.

I suggest you re-read what I originally wrote, without being so defensive. It's quite obvious it was complete innocuous, and actually an attempt to be supportive and nice.



d(O.o)a
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada5066 Posts
June 11 2011 19:27 GMT
#484
Why am I not surprised to see somebody named defacer saying casters should call players bad?

Also, there is no reason to say things like that, it adds nothing to the cast and only makes the player feel worse. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't even be a discussion over this, it's just a stupid idea for casters to insult players by calling them bad or saying "Wow, this is absolutely the worst army control I've seen this week." T

That adds absolutely nothing to the cast.
Hi.
pHelix Equilibria
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1134 Posts
June 11 2011 19:32 GMT
#485
Ouch poor Haypro...
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
June 11 2011 19:33 GMT
#486
On June 12 2011 04:27 d(O.o)a wrote:
Why am I not surprised to see somebody named defacer saying casters should call players bad?

Also, there is no reason to say things like that, it adds nothing to the cast and only makes the player feel worse. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't even be a discussion over this, it's just a stupid idea for casters to insult players by calling them bad or saying "Wow, this is absolutely the worst army control I've seen this week." T

That adds absolutely nothing to the cast.



I'll repeat, for the third time, just because you're calling out someone for making a bad decision doesn't mean you think they're a bad player or bad person.
d(O.o)a
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada5066 Posts
June 11 2011 19:41 GMT
#487
So? What point is there to saying they're playing bad, how does that add anything to the cast as opposed to pointing out which mistakes they made?
Hi.
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
June 11 2011 19:44 GMT
#488
On June 12 2011 04:27 d(O.o)a wrote:
Also, there is no reason to say things like that, it adds nothing to the cast and only makes the player feel worse. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't even be a discussion over this, it's just a stupid idea for casters to insult players by calling them bad or saying "Wow, this is absolutely the worst army control I've seen this week." T


Whereas I think (to paraphrase you directly) that the most stupid idea ever invented is "we should not say some things so we can avoid offending someone".

Honesty is the best policy and I think that this is one very good think about this cast, they are not afraid to say, that someone has played poorly (I can even live without iNc sugarcoating it with all teh stuff about "he will be better"). Haypro has obviously shown some pretty important mistakes and his play obviously inferior to Naniwas. There is no need to deny that. They are not bashing him, they are not being annoying, they just comment on his play.
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
Zihn
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark50 Posts
June 11 2011 19:52 GMT
#489
On June 12 2011 04:13 Batch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 03:26 Zihn wrote:
I cant watch the EU NASL.tv stream here in Denmark without getting so mutch lag that it's unwatchable.
But!!!! if i connect to my NA VPN and try to watch the same EU NASL.tv stream i can now watch it without lag at all and this is how i have been watching NASL...

I realy would like to know why the EU stream for NASL is only for americans ???

Also i get a ton of comercials on the stream when i use the NA VPN and no comercials if i just connect with my danish connection.

I get no a lag at all on any of the streams (EU or US) from Sweden. The problem is probably on your side or with your ISP.


I would agree if not for the VPN.
The VPN still uses my regular internet 20 mbit but bounces the trafic across a server in USA to give me an NA IP, if the problem was with my internet then i should have even more problems bouncing trafic from an EU server to USA and then back to EU (Denmark) compared to just having it go straight from the EU server to Denmark.
d(O.o)a
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada5066 Posts
June 11 2011 19:55 GMT
#490
On June 12 2011 04:44 opisska wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 04:27 d(O.o)a wrote:
Also, there is no reason to say things like that, it adds nothing to the cast and only makes the player feel worse. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't even be a discussion over this, it's just a stupid idea for casters to insult players by calling them bad or saying "Wow, this is absolutely the worst army control I've seen this week." T


Whereas I think (to paraphrase you directly) that the most stupid idea ever invented is "we should not say some things so we can avoid offending someone".

Honesty is the best policy and I think that this is one very good think about this cast, they are not afraid to say, that someone has played poorly (I can even live without iNc sugarcoating it with all teh stuff about "he will be better"). Haypro has obviously shown some pretty important mistakes and his play obviously inferior to Naniwas. There is no need to deny that. They are not bashing him, they are not being annoying, they just comment on his play.


Saying somebody played worse than their opponent is different from saying they played bad, saying they played bad adds absolutely nothing to the commentary and there's no point saying it. I would much rather they take that time to explain the faults they made than say something along the lines of "Well, that was awful what is player X doing right now? He's playing bad."
Hi.
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
June 11 2011 20:08 GMT
#491
On the bright side, DDE vs KawaiiRice game 1 was highly entertaining!

It's amazing what you can do in TvT on Taldarim, with all the cliffs.
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
pHelix Equilibria
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1134 Posts
June 11 2011 20:13 GMT
#492
lol Starport lift by Kawaii...
Batch
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden692 Posts
June 11 2011 20:34 GMT
#493
On June 12 2011 04:52 Zihn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 04:13 Batch wrote:
On June 12 2011 03:26 Zihn wrote:
I cant watch the EU NASL.tv stream here in Denmark without getting so mutch lag that it's unwatchable.
But!!!! if i connect to my NA VPN and try to watch the same EU NASL.tv stream i can now watch it without lag at all and this is how i have been watching NASL...

I realy would like to know why the EU stream for NASL is only for americans ???

Also i get a ton of comercials on the stream when i use the NA VPN and no comercials if i just connect with my danish connection.

I get no a lag at all on any of the streams (EU or US) from Sweden. The problem is probably on your side or with your ISP.


I would agree if not for the VPN.
The VPN still uses my regular internet 20 mbit but bounces the trafic across a server in USA to give me an NA IP, if the problem was with my internet then i should have even more problems bouncing trafic from an EU server to USA and then back to EU (Denmark) compared to just having it go straight from the EU server to Denmark.

The problem lies with your ISP. The traffic exchange between your ISP and the part of Europe where the server is located is not good enough.
StarscreamG1
Profile Joined February 2011
Portugal1653 Posts
June 11 2011 20:40 GMT
#494
Someone can tell me if Select is american or korean?
Bluedraqy
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark496 Posts
June 11 2011 20:41 GMT
#495
On June 12 2011 05:40 StarscreamG1 wrote:
Someone can tell me if Select is american or korean?

A korean living in the USA
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
June 11 2011 21:56 GMT
#496
Saying somebody played worse than their opponent is different from saying they played bad, saying they played bad adds absolutely nothing to the commentary and there's no point saying it. I would much rather they take that time to explain the faults they made than say something along the lines of "Well, that was awful what is player X doing right now? He's playing bad."


Have you watched TheBest vs. MKP? Or even some of tastosis earlier Code A commentary? Obviously it adds something to the cast because the majority of people up vote those casts despite poor game play. Saying it adds nothing is just your opinion, and most people seem to disagree with you.
d(O.o)a
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada5066 Posts
June 11 2011 22:04 GMT
#497
Ok so maybe some people find it funny that they're calling somebody who's infinitely better than they are bad, but it is just wasted time, we gain absolutely nothing from Gretorp or Incontrol saying "Well, that was awful, player Y is so bad." whereas if they say something like "Well, that engagement wasn't good by player Y; he would've been way better off hanging around for more reinforcements." or whatever it may be.

It's unprofessional and when I personally hear commentators bashing the players without adding anything else to the cast I turn off the sound. Artosis and Tasteless vods will get "up votes" and tons of views regardless of what they do because it's Artosis and Tasteless, they could spend the whole time making completely irrelevant horrible jokes and people would still watch it.
Hi.
howLiN
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Portugal1676 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 23:02:12
June 11 2011 23:01 GMT
#498
On June 12 2011 07:04 d(O.o)a wrote:
Ok so maybe some people find it funny that they're calling somebody who's infinitely better than they are bad, but it is just wasted time, we gain absolutely nothing from Gretorp or Incontrol saying "Well, that was awful, player Y is so bad." whereas if they say something like "Well, that engagement wasn't good by player Y; he would've been way better off hanging around for more reinforcements." or whatever it may be.

It's unprofessional and when I personally hear commentators bashing the players without adding anything else to the cast I turn off the sound. Artosis and Tasteless vods will get "up votes" and tons of views regardless of what they do because it's Artosis and Tasteless, they could spend the whole time making completely irrelevant horrible jokes and people would still watch it.

I get what you're saying, but given that casting is kind of a spontaneous activity I don't think casters shouldn't say "player X is playing bad" on principle. Sometimes people do play badly, and there is no shame (to both the casters and the players) to call on it. There's a difference between stating that a player is playing badly and bashing a player in a disproportionate manner, and the former is fine as far as I'm concerned.
DoomsVille
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada4885 Posts
June 11 2011 23:04 GMT
#499
You don't get it d(O.o)a.

A casters job is to do a few things:
1) Entertain their audience (humor, awesome sounding voice, enthusiasm etc.)
2) Explain what is occurring to the audience (play by play)
3) Critically analyze events (different builds/strategies, explanation of engagements etc. etc.)

You can't do 3) unless you are willing to be candid about the players strengths and weaknesses. If a player lost because they macroed poorly, you have to say it. If a player lost because he engaged poorly, you have to say it. Whatever the problem is, you have to mention it. But you can't just say "both players are fantastic and they played fantastic and everything is fantastic" without acknowledging their mistakes/weaknesses.

And this isn't the same as Xeris' absolutely ludicrous statement of "ya this guy is a fucking clown and played like garbage". No one said anything remotely similar to that. Instead this could be as simple as something like: Player X lost this game because he had a bad engagement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying something like that. It is an honest appraisal of the situation and that is exactly what is necessary when critically analyzing a game.


It's the same thing as when an NBA commentator will say something like "Lebron is forcing too many shots instead of trying to find open teammates" or "his shot is just off today" or whatever. You have to be willing to criticize the players while still being respectful. That is all people want. We just don't want to be constantly told that everyone is playing amazingly when it is obvious that that isn't true in many cases.

Btw, I'm not saying gretorp or incontrol are doing that. I'm just saying this is how it should be. I'm not sure what sparked this debate (I didn't watch all of last night) and I don't care. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 23:25:53
June 11 2011 23:10 GMT
#500
Btw, I'm not saying gretorp or incontrol are doing that. I'm just saying this is how it should be. I'm not sure what sparked this debate (I didn't watch all of last night) and I don't care. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.


I think this debate occurred specifically because there were some very poor games on NASL today from a gameplay standpoint, and if you contrast those to how the poor games on GSL were handled earlier on in the day there is a huge difference between how the casters handled the games. Most viewers seem to prefer Tastosis style of handling poor gameplay, gretorp/xeris/doa disagree. Gretorp made an excellent point that they have to deal with these players in social situations where Tastosis don't. Aside from that point I don't agree with most of the other ones xeris and doa are making, especially the laughably foolish "you can't criticize someone unless you are better than them" argument.
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft425
RuFF_SC2 203
Nina 92
-ZergGirl 80
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2235
Bale 18
yabsab 14
Terrorterran 9
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1157
taco 390
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox754
Other Games
summit1g7628
JimRising 672
Day[9].tv471
C9.Mang0288
WinterStarcraft287
Maynarde152
Sick148
Livibee144
ViBE107
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick936
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream162
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota217
League of Legends
• Stunt302
Other Games
• Day9tv471
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 3m
Stellar Fest
9h 3m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.