• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:46
CEST 12:46
KST 19:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double0Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9074 users

The LotV Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 22

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 68 Next
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
February 29 2016 07:13 GMT
#421
On February 29 2016 15:33 IcemanAsi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2016 20:59 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:51 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:16 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 18:26 IcemanAsi wrote:
Has anyone ever tried playing a dedicated sky zerg?
Like skytoss basically, nothing on the ground but spines, total 3/4 base turtle.
double spire upgrades, corruptor/viper/muta/broodlord?

*thinking aloud*
You could add Bane drops for mass trolling, escort the overlords in with your air army and then drop the banes and leave

Also theory-crafting, what would you do with all the minerals? Just mass mass spines? >_> queens maybe? Which matchup are we talking?

I assume this is a very late game build, as you don't have anything shooting down until brood lords. Don't think you can survive unitl broodlords on only spines, so you have to do some real tech before you get the BLs, and that will suffer if you start dumping resources into spire upgrades. :/ so I can only see it being useful at a very late split map scenario, with like 7 bases on each side... And at that point I think BLs are just too slow to be useful. The other guy, independently of race, can just go and kill the three bases you don't defend, and then go and kill the other 4 while you are trying to chase to defend. At best you can get some base-trade scenario, but again, I think you'll be too slow to win consistently.

But yeah, just making stuff up that sounds good, I'd be happy to hear an actually competent player comment on this.


What you are describing ( late game transition to air) is basically broodlord/infestor endgame, which I think was proven viable a couple of times :D
I was just wondering if anyone tried to get directly there, without a ground based mid-game, I assume no one did because just as you said, Zergs static defense simply isn't up to the task. Thou a mass queen + spine turtle into the air tech could be interesting. And yeah, all the minerals go toward spines and queens and a wack-a-mole expansion strategy.

I sincerely hope that strategy is not viable.

At least do some muta-ling on the way... ling runby is a great complement to a slow air army I'd think, and the ground melee upgrades helps the broodlings anyway.


After a night of some ridiculous games... it's not that bad, pro viable? probably not. But works.
Sure, you can NOT do it in ZvZ but I think that was a given and me trying was more for laughs, it wasn't that funny.

But in ZvT this build absolutely demolishes mech play, mass Queens easy hold the mech early game harass options and you have broodlords and air advantage so early it's a little sad to see them try to actually get aggressive. Then again how mech play do we really see?

This was also not that bad against passive protos play as the economy just snowballs so fast as you are spending literally zero laravae on units. But a dedicated 2 base push from either protoss or terran just kills you. I also found myself floating a ton of gas before hive which gave way to a very intresting idea I'm going to try tonight - Queen Infestor mid game.

So it's open gasless into quick three base and constantly produce queens. Get your gas geysers once you're saturated and go lair then infestation pit, and make queen infestor, this would let you actually defend a mid game push and dump a lot of that gas, then take spire and get some harass with mutas while going for broodlords. It's a broodlord/infestor rush where your mid game queen infestor is 100% effective for your late game composition, and your mutas can either keep your opponent in his base or demolish his econ if he moves out. And if he moves out you fungal him like mad while queens and spines out range everything.

Will it blend? no idea, will try tonight.

If you float gas and depend on queens for DPS, do the ranged damage upgrade. The queen (ground attack) is the unit that depends the most on attack upgrades in the game, with only 4 damage per attack. So +25% damage for +1 against no armour target, and more if the opponent does have armour naturally or through upgrades.
ThePastor
Profile Joined February 2012
New Zealand380 Posts
February 29 2016 07:59 GMT
#422
On February 29 2016 16:13 Cascade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 29 2016 15:33 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:59 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:51 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:16 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 18:26 IcemanAsi wrote:
Has anyone ever tried playing a dedicated sky zerg?
Like skytoss basically, nothing on the ground but spines, total 3/4 base turtle.
double spire upgrades, corruptor/viper/muta/broodlord?

*thinking aloud*
You could add Bane drops for mass trolling, escort the overlords in with your air army and then drop the banes and leave

Also theory-crafting, what would you do with all the minerals? Just mass mass spines? >_> queens maybe? Which matchup are we talking?

I assume this is a very late game build, as you don't have anything shooting down until brood lords. Don't think you can survive unitl broodlords on only spines, so you have to do some real tech before you get the BLs, and that will suffer if you start dumping resources into spire upgrades. :/ so I can only see it being useful at a very late split map scenario, with like 7 bases on each side... And at that point I think BLs are just too slow to be useful. The other guy, independently of race, can just go and kill the three bases you don't defend, and then go and kill the other 4 while you are trying to chase to defend. At best you can get some base-trade scenario, but again, I think you'll be too slow to win consistently.

But yeah, just making stuff up that sounds good, I'd be happy to hear an actually competent player comment on this.


What you are describing ( late game transition to air) is basically broodlord/infestor endgame, which I think was proven viable a couple of times :D
I was just wondering if anyone tried to get directly there, without a ground based mid-game, I assume no one did because just as you said, Zergs static defense simply isn't up to the task. Thou a mass queen + spine turtle into the air tech could be interesting. And yeah, all the minerals go toward spines and queens and a wack-a-mole expansion strategy.

I sincerely hope that strategy is not viable.

At least do some muta-ling on the way... ling runby is a great complement to a slow air army I'd think, and the ground melee upgrades helps the broodlings anyway.


After a night of some ridiculous games... it's not that bad, pro viable? probably not. But works.
Sure, you can NOT do it in ZvZ but I think that was a given and me trying was more for laughs, it wasn't that funny.

But in ZvT this build absolutely demolishes mech play, mass Queens easy hold the mech early game harass options and you have broodlords and air advantage so early it's a little sad to see them try to actually get aggressive. Then again how mech play do we really see?

This was also not that bad against passive protos play as the economy just snowballs so fast as you are spending literally zero laravae on units. But a dedicated 2 base push from either protoss or terran just kills you. I also found myself floating a ton of gas before hive which gave way to a very intresting idea I'm going to try tonight - Queen Infestor mid game.

So it's open gasless into quick three base and constantly produce queens. Get your gas geysers once you're saturated and go lair then infestation pit, and make queen infestor, this would let you actually defend a mid game push and dump a lot of that gas, then take spire and get some harass with mutas while going for broodlords. It's a broodlord/infestor rush where your mid game queen infestor is 100% effective for your late game composition, and your mutas can either keep your opponent in his base or demolish his econ if he moves out. And if he moves out you fungal him like mad while queens and spines out range everything.

Will it blend? no idea, will try tonight.

If you float gas and depend on queens for DPS, do the ranged damage upgrade. The queen (ground attack) is the unit that depends the most on attack upgrades in the game, with only 4 damage per attack. So +25% damage for +1 against no armour target, and more if the opponent does have armour naturally or through upgrades.


If you have excess gas, wouldn't you go melee and ranged upgrades? Armour isn't needed. Melee for broodlings and ranged for queens.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
February 29 2016 08:15 GMT
#423
On February 29 2016 16:59 ThePastor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 29 2016 16:13 Cascade wrote:
On February 29 2016 15:33 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:59 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:51 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:16 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 18:26 IcemanAsi wrote:
Has anyone ever tried playing a dedicated sky zerg?
Like skytoss basically, nothing on the ground but spines, total 3/4 base turtle.
double spire upgrades, corruptor/viper/muta/broodlord?

*thinking aloud*
You could add Bane drops for mass trolling, escort the overlords in with your air army and then drop the banes and leave

Also theory-crafting, what would you do with all the minerals? Just mass mass spines? >_> queens maybe? Which matchup are we talking?

I assume this is a very late game build, as you don't have anything shooting down until brood lords. Don't think you can survive unitl broodlords on only spines, so you have to do some real tech before you get the BLs, and that will suffer if you start dumping resources into spire upgrades. :/ so I can only see it being useful at a very late split map scenario, with like 7 bases on each side... And at that point I think BLs are just too slow to be useful. The other guy, independently of race, can just go and kill the three bases you don't defend, and then go and kill the other 4 while you are trying to chase to defend. At best you can get some base-trade scenario, but again, I think you'll be too slow to win consistently.

But yeah, just making stuff up that sounds good, I'd be happy to hear an actually competent player comment on this.


What you are describing ( late game transition to air) is basically broodlord/infestor endgame, which I think was proven viable a couple of times :D
I was just wondering if anyone tried to get directly there, without a ground based mid-game, I assume no one did because just as you said, Zergs static defense simply isn't up to the task. Thou a mass queen + spine turtle into the air tech could be interesting. And yeah, all the minerals go toward spines and queens and a wack-a-mole expansion strategy.

I sincerely hope that strategy is not viable.

At least do some muta-ling on the way... ling runby is a great complement to a slow air army I'd think, and the ground melee upgrades helps the broodlings anyway.


After a night of some ridiculous games... it's not that bad, pro viable? probably not. But works.
Sure, you can NOT do it in ZvZ but I think that was a given and me trying was more for laughs, it wasn't that funny.

But in ZvT this build absolutely demolishes mech play, mass Queens easy hold the mech early game harass options and you have broodlords and air advantage so early it's a little sad to see them try to actually get aggressive. Then again how mech play do we really see?

This was also not that bad against passive protos play as the economy just snowballs so fast as you are spending literally zero laravae on units. But a dedicated 2 base push from either protoss or terran just kills you. I also found myself floating a ton of gas before hive which gave way to a very intresting idea I'm going to try tonight - Queen Infestor mid game.

So it's open gasless into quick three base and constantly produce queens. Get your gas geysers once you're saturated and go lair then infestation pit, and make queen infestor, this would let you actually defend a mid game push and dump a lot of that gas, then take spire and get some harass with mutas while going for broodlords. It's a broodlord/infestor rush where your mid game queen infestor is 100% effective for your late game composition, and your mutas can either keep your opponent in his base or demolish his econ if he moves out. And if he moves out you fungal him like mad while queens and spines out range everything.

Will it blend? no idea, will try tonight.

If you float gas and depend on queens for DPS, do the ranged damage upgrade. The queen (ground attack) is the unit that depends the most on attack upgrades in the game, with only 4 damage per attack. So +25% damage for +1 against no armour target, and more if the opponent does have armour naturally or through upgrades.


If you have excess gas, wouldn't you go melee and ranged upgrades? Armour isn't needed. Melee for broodlings and ranged for queens.

I still think that rushing for BL with nothing but queens and spines leaves a huge gap for almost any kind of timing attack. Or just two medivacs with marines in the main? What about the 10-15 adepts that will shade past the spines? Blink stalkers up the cliff? Tankivacs? Adding in an extra 100/100 early on that you won't benefit from until long into T3 will only make the gap larger. But I'm around gold, so there may be things with these timings that I don't understand.
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
February 29 2016 08:21 GMT
#424
On February 29 2016 17:15 Cascade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 29 2016 16:59 ThePastor wrote:
On February 29 2016 16:13 Cascade wrote:
On February 29 2016 15:33 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:59 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:51 IcemanAsi wrote:
On February 28 2016 20:16 Cascade wrote:
On February 28 2016 18:26 IcemanAsi wrote:
Has anyone ever tried playing a dedicated sky zerg?
Like skytoss basically, nothing on the ground but spines, total 3/4 base turtle.
double spire upgrades, corruptor/viper/muta/broodlord?

*thinking aloud*
You could add Bane drops for mass trolling, escort the overlords in with your air army and then drop the banes and leave

Also theory-crafting, what would you do with all the minerals? Just mass mass spines? >_> queens maybe? Which matchup are we talking?

I assume this is a very late game build, as you don't have anything shooting down until brood lords. Don't think you can survive unitl broodlords on only spines, so you have to do some real tech before you get the BLs, and that will suffer if you start dumping resources into spire upgrades. :/ so I can only see it being useful at a very late split map scenario, with like 7 bases on each side... And at that point I think BLs are just too slow to be useful. The other guy, independently of race, can just go and kill the three bases you don't defend, and then go and kill the other 4 while you are trying to chase to defend. At best you can get some base-trade scenario, but again, I think you'll be too slow to win consistently.

But yeah, just making stuff up that sounds good, I'd be happy to hear an actually competent player comment on this.


What you are describing ( late game transition to air) is basically broodlord/infestor endgame, which I think was proven viable a couple of times :D
I was just wondering if anyone tried to get directly there, without a ground based mid-game, I assume no one did because just as you said, Zergs static defense simply isn't up to the task. Thou a mass queen + spine turtle into the air tech could be interesting. And yeah, all the minerals go toward spines and queens and a wack-a-mole expansion strategy.

I sincerely hope that strategy is not viable.

At least do some muta-ling on the way... ling runby is a great complement to a slow air army I'd think, and the ground melee upgrades helps the broodlings anyway.


After a night of some ridiculous games... it's not that bad, pro viable? probably not. But works.
Sure, you can NOT do it in ZvZ but I think that was a given and me trying was more for laughs, it wasn't that funny.

But in ZvT this build absolutely demolishes mech play, mass Queens easy hold the mech early game harass options and you have broodlords and air advantage so early it's a little sad to see them try to actually get aggressive. Then again how mech play do we really see?

This was also not that bad against passive protos play as the economy just snowballs so fast as you are spending literally zero laravae on units. But a dedicated 2 base push from either protoss or terran just kills you. I also found myself floating a ton of gas before hive which gave way to a very intresting idea I'm going to try tonight - Queen Infestor mid game.

So it's open gasless into quick three base and constantly produce queens. Get your gas geysers once you're saturated and go lair then infestation pit, and make queen infestor, this would let you actually defend a mid game push and dump a lot of that gas, then take spire and get some harass with mutas while going for broodlords. It's a broodlord/infestor rush where your mid game queen infestor is 100% effective for your late game composition, and your mutas can either keep your opponent in his base or demolish his econ if he moves out. And if he moves out you fungal him like mad while queens and spines out range everything.

Will it blend? no idea, will try tonight.

If you float gas and depend on queens for DPS, do the ranged damage upgrade. The queen (ground attack) is the unit that depends the most on attack upgrades in the game, with only 4 damage per attack. So +25% damage for +1 against no armour target, and more if the opponent does have armour naturally or through upgrades.


If you have excess gas, wouldn't you go melee and ranged upgrades? Armour isn't needed. Melee for broodlings and ranged for queens.

I still think that rushing for BL with nothing but queens and spines leaves a huge gap for almost any kind of timing attack. Or just two medivacs with marines in the main? What about the 10-15 adepts that will shade past the spines? Blink stalkers up the cliff? Tankivacs? Adding in an extra 100/100 early on that you won't benefit from until long into T3 will only make the gap larger. But I'm around gold, so there may be things with these timings that I don't understand.


Nah, you're pretty much spot-on, the question is how you get through the mid game, but you are slightly underestimating mass queens. I agree with you that the problem is exactly that, handling that mid game gap. Which is why I'm gonna try infestors. Probably not gonna work but I'm having fun.
TequilaMockingbird
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany68 Posts
February 29 2016 17:37 GMT
#425
Guys what exactly am I supposed to do against mech ? It seems to be some new trend to revive the good old turtle mech (after having cried countless tears about how mech is absolutely not viable in Legacy..QQ..Qq...) and I find it close to impossible to beat.

6 out of my last 10 ZvTs were against mech and while I won all the bio games, I lost every single game vs mech.

So far my approach has been to mass expand (usually 4th and 5th at the same time, upon scouting that its mech) and then trying to delay their 4th with creep / burrowed lings. But even on 4 base Terran is more than easily able to max out a seemingly random composition of tank/thor/hellbat/viking/liberator/Battle Cruisers.

I tried to fight it with Corrupter/viper/BL and some ravagers but got stomped every time by some 90 apm gosu.

Any ideas ?
Aocowns
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway6070 Posts
February 29 2016 18:50 GMT
#426
is ZvZ still fuckin stupid when it comes to build orders, or can i settle on a pool/hatch opening without dying every other game to an all in? and what is the "proper" way of playing ZvZ right now? i see people doing literally anything with like random muta switches, muta into ultra, muta in lurker, whatever
I'm a salt-lord and hater of mech and ForGG, don't take me seriously, it's just my salt-humour speaking i swear. |KadaverBB best TL gaoler| |~IdrA's #1 fan~| SetGuitarsToKill and Duckk are my martyr heroes |
atstapley
Profile Joined December 2015
23 Posts
February 29 2016 18:51 GMT
#427
On March 01 2016 02:37 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Guys what exactly am I supposed to do against mech ? It seems to be some new trend to revive the good old turtle mech (after having cried countless tears about how mech is absolutely not viable in Legacy..QQ..Qq...) and I find it close to impossible to beat.

6 out of my last 10 ZvTs were against mech and while I won all the bio games, I lost every single game vs mech.

So far my approach has been to mass expand (usually 4th and 5th at the same time, upon scouting that its mech) and then trying to delay their 4th with creep / burrowed lings. But even on 4 base Terran is more than easily able to max out a seemingly random composition of tank/thor/hellbat/viking/liberator/Battle Cruisers.

I tried to fight it with Corrupter/viper/BL and some ravagers but got stomped every time by some 90 apm gosu.

Any ideas ?


Mech is super immobile, so it will help to float maybe 3 full overlords with zerglings, that's only 12 army supply, and take out his reinforcements at his base when he pushes out. From there, I think lots of banelings will help, they're cheap on supply, and you should have plenty of money to roll half his army even without the upgrades. After his hellbats at the front are done, the rest will fall pretty easily to mass cracklings. Battlecruisers should be handled with corruptors, unfortunately. So I guess Ling Bling Corruptor is my best answer, with a handful of broodlords and vipers in the mix.
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
February 29 2016 19:26 GMT
#428
On March 01 2016 02:37 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Guys what exactly am I supposed to do against mech ? It seems to be some new trend to revive the good old turtle mech (after having cried countless tears about how mech is absolutely not viable in Legacy..QQ..Qq...) and I find it close to impossible to beat.

6 out of my last 10 ZvTs were against mech and while I won all the bio games, I lost every single game vs mech.

So far my approach has been to mass expand (usually 4th and 5th at the same time, upon scouting that its mech) and then trying to delay their 4th with creep / burrowed lings. But even on 4 base Terran is more than easily able to max out a seemingly random composition of tank/thor/hellbat/viking/liberator/Battle Cruisers.

I tried to fight it with Corrupter/viper/BL and some ravagers but got stomped every time by some 90 apm gosu.

Any ideas ?


Don't ever let it get to the uber late game against mech or it's almost an auto loss unless you have some sick nasty caster control.

Execute a fast Roach/Hydra/Viper timing anytime it's scouted, the key is to spread it thin and kill it quick. Especially after the PB nerf went through Vipers aren;'t the end all be all mech killer they used to be.
ThePastor
Profile Joined February 2012
New Zealand380 Posts
February 29 2016 20:37 GMT
#429
On March 01 2016 03:50 Aocowns wrote:
is ZvZ still fuckin stupid when it comes to build orders, or can i settle on a pool/hatch opening without dying every other game to an all in? and what is the "proper" way of playing ZvZ right now? i see people doing literally anything with like random muta switches, muta into ultra, muta in lurker, whatever


17h/17g/17p is a fine opener in ZvZ, I do it literally 100% of the time. Very rarely do I die in the early game. Every once in awhile I will get killed by an early pool/baneling all in. I want to say muta openings are probably the most standard. How you play is dependant on what you like, do you enjoy muta vs muta? If you do, open muta. Are you confident defending mass muta? Then go roach/ravager opener.
Aocowns
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway6070 Posts
February 29 2016 20:46 GMT
#430
On March 01 2016 05:37 ThePastor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2016 03:50 Aocowns wrote:
is ZvZ still fuckin stupid when it comes to build orders, or can i settle on a pool/hatch opening without dying every other game to an all in? and what is the "proper" way of playing ZvZ right now? i see people doing literally anything with like random muta switches, muta into ultra, muta in lurker, whatever


17h/17g/17p is a fine opener in ZvZ, I do it literally 100% of the time. Very rarely do I die in the early game. Every once in awhile I will get killed by an early pool/baneling all in. I want to say muta openings are probably the most standard. How you play is dependant on what you like, do you enjoy muta vs muta? If you do, open muta. Are you confident defending mass muta? Then go roach/ravager opener.

so whats the response to like 12 pool with some 17-19hatch when you go hatch first yourself? ling/bane all in and sac natural? or can i just pool larvae to build lings and wait until im sure hes not doing an early pool?

and if it ends up in a muta vs muta scenario, what is optimal? sacrificing muta production to get vipers for support, or literally just mass muta and try to pressure him if he wants to tech past it?
I'm a salt-lord and hater of mech and ForGG, don't take me seriously, it's just my salt-humour speaking i swear. |KadaverBB best TL gaoler| |~IdrA's #1 fan~| SetGuitarsToKill and Duckk are my martyr heroes |
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
February 29 2016 21:47 GMT
#431
On March 01 2016 05:46 Aocowns wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2016 05:37 ThePastor wrote:
On March 01 2016 03:50 Aocowns wrote:
is ZvZ still fuckin stupid when it comes to build orders, or can i settle on a pool/hatch opening without dying every other game to an all in? and what is the "proper" way of playing ZvZ right now? i see people doing literally anything with like random muta switches, muta into ultra, muta in lurker, whatever


17h/17g/17p is a fine opener in ZvZ, I do it literally 100% of the time. Very rarely do I die in the early game. Every once in awhile I will get killed by an early pool/baneling all in. I want to say muta openings are probably the most standard. How you play is dependant on what you like, do you enjoy muta vs muta? If you do, open muta. Are you confident defending mass muta? Then go roach/ravager opener.

so whats the response to like 12 pool with some 17-19hatch when you go hatch first yourself? ling/bane all in and sac natural? or can i just pool larvae to build lings and wait until im sure hes not doing an early pool?

and if it ends up in a muta vs muta scenario, what is optimal? sacrificing muta production to get vipers for support, or literally just mass muta and try to pressure him if he wants to tech past it?


Depends on your situation in the Muta wars. I feel like whenenver I get the earlier Spire or the faster gas saturation on my third that I can probably out muscle him by sheer Mutalisk number advantage.

If the flip side happens and your behind I feel like you need to make the choice, can you survive and turtle under spores until Hive and Vipers come out or do you need to land that clutch fungal right now.

Honestly, PB feels pretty....weak....after the last patch.
BigRedDog
Profile Joined May 2012
461 Posts
March 01 2016 01:30 GMT
#432
On March 01 2016 05:46 Aocowns wrote:
and if it ends up in a muta vs muta scenario, what is optimal? sacrificing muta production to get vipers for support, or literally just mass muta and try to pressure him if he wants to tech past it?


This you have to play by experience and by feel. There are so many variables that it is hard to tell you exactly what to do.

For example, if you and the other player have the same mass of mutas and you see him going Hive tech you can build more mutas in the short run and try to be super aggressive before the vipers come out and gathered enough energy to hurt your flock.

Even when the vipers are out, you can split your muta flocks to harrass in such a way that it is hard for the vipers to do any damage (if your micro are good enough).

The key though is to be adaptive and keep playing the game...take a 4th, 5th...tech up yourself...focus on another tech (Ultras and lurkers [for defense])...
Big Red Dog!
LyleGately
Profile Joined April 2012
United States14 Posts
March 01 2016 01:46 GMT
#433
Does anyone have any advice for holding these proxy 4rax marine builds I've been seeing more of lately? I've seen this 3x in my past 15 ZvTs and haven't held it once. I'm a Platinum/Diamond player.

http://sc2replaystats.com/replay/2476383

Keep natural. 3x spines & speed and baneling nest. They can walk past my spines to kill the natural. I blow through all my units to kill his marines with banes and but they still has enough to push through.

http://sc2replaystats.com/replay/2476507

Okay, maybe I have to cancel the natural and build an in-base macro for production. 4x spines. They just contain and get tanks and the game ends up in a silly place.


I think next time I'll try keeping the natural (think this is required) and getting a spine over to the natural to defend. Suppose it might matter if the natural is backdoor or not. I'm usually scouting these out early w a drone scout, so it's not a total surprise.
ThePastor
Profile Joined February 2012
New Zealand380 Posts
March 01 2016 02:23 GMT
#434
On March 01 2016 05:46 Aocowns wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2016 05:37 ThePastor wrote:
On March 01 2016 03:50 Aocowns wrote:
is ZvZ still fuckin stupid when it comes to build orders, or can i settle on a pool/hatch opening without dying every other game to an all in? and what is the "proper" way of playing ZvZ right now? i see people doing literally anything with like random muta switches, muta into ultra, muta in lurker, whatever


17h/17g/17p is a fine opener in ZvZ, I do it literally 100% of the time. Very rarely do I die in the early game. Every once in awhile I will get killed by an early pool/baneling all in. I want to say muta openings are probably the most standard. How you play is dependant on what you like, do you enjoy muta vs muta? If you do, open muta. Are you confident defending mass muta? Then go roach/ravager opener.

so whats the response to like 12 pool with some 17-19hatch when you go hatch first yourself? ling/bane all in and sac natural? or can i just pool larvae to build lings and wait until im sure hes not doing an early pool?

and if it ends up in a muta vs muta scenario, what is optimal? sacrificing muta production to get vipers for support, or literally just mass muta and try to pressure him if he wants to tech past it?


If I scout an early pool coming (ie see the lings on the way out the door) I generally stop droning save minerals. Get two queens building ASAP, sneak a drone down to my natural and plant a spine instantly. Generally, your lings will be almost popping when they get to your base, it is about buying time while your lings get out. Do not commit to any fight with drones or lings unless it is 100% obvious you will trade super favourably. Remember, you have an extra hatch and queen. Even if you only trade equally you will end up ahead. Any moment you are feeling safe build one or two drones and then add a few lings if you feel unsure.

If you feel really uncomfortable opening hatch first you can drone scout on 14. Yes, this is less efficient and will put you slightly behind in hatch first vs hatch first. It will enable you to see the lings coming faster and enable you to start prepping what you are going to do, maybe place your pool earlier etc. I did this at first while I was getting used to the new LoTV timings, but stopped doing it when I got confident.

Every once in awhile you will just miss out on all scouting warnings due to RNG bad luck and 8 lings and 4 banes will just turn up on your doorstep and you insta lose, just gg out and accept that.

On top of this you can either skip speed and get a bane nest asap or just go speed. This really depends on what is going on in the game.

As for the Muta discussion the other guys covered it fairly well so I don't think you need to.
Overfly
Profile Joined February 2015
25 Posts
March 01 2016 21:35 GMT
#435
How do you execute ravager/roach/infestor combo? I mean how do you control that army (control groups mainly and if you tab key).
I have a trouble doing FAST fungal -> corrosive bile combo. Often before I even cast the biles fungal fades and marines or whatever can move away.
Also how long does it take for corrosive bile to fall down since it's casted already? And fungal lasts 3 secs, right?
So perhaps I should cast bile first then fungal?
atstapley
Profile Joined December 2015
23 Posts
March 01 2016 22:02 GMT
#436
On March 02 2016 06:35 Overfly wrote:
How do you execute ravager/roach/infestor combo? I mean how do you control that army (control groups mainly and if you tab key).
I have a trouble doing FAST fungal -> corrosive bile combo. Often before I even cast the biles fungal fades and marines or whatever can move away.
Also how long does it take for corrosive bile to fall down since it's casted already? And fungal lasts 3 secs, right?
So perhaps I should cast bile first then fungal?


I have 6 control groups that I use for armies:
Melee (lings and ultras)
Range (roach, ravager, hydra)
Banes or Mutas (banes early, mutas later, with banes going to melee tab)
Infestors
Vipers
Broodlords and corruptors

I do the following:

Group 3, attack command, rapid fire about half of my biles, group 4, fungal, group 3 finish biles

I doubt it's perfect, but it works.
InfamousAmos
Profile Joined March 2016
1 Post
March 02 2016 01:34 GMT
#437
Is there a page that gives the 101 of build order counters for ZvZ?

Also, one specific question: what does hatch first v. speedling expand (or baneling all-in) look like? (I know hatch first "can" hold, but does one side have an advantage?)
Hotshot
Profile Joined November 2004
Canada184 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 02:23:57
March 02 2016 02:20 GMT
#438
I am new to zerg, and I am wondering if there are there any good vods and tutorials how to beat meching terran in WOL as zerg? In the second time in one week I had a brutal and unfun game vs a meching terran. I am top 8 diamond in wol (currently 1st), yet my last game was vs some 7 time plat (and he played badly too), but I just can't seem to get anything to work vs a meching terrran.

Its like thors kills every unit I use (hydra/roach/mutas/corruptors/broods) and marines kill lings easily while tanks and planataries make some positions unbreakable. In the meantime terran has the air for free.

I keep hearing broods/infestors, but I can't seem to get it to work. Seems broods just die to vikings, ravens or thors while the terran laughs with his planateries.


IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
March 02 2016 11:31 GMT
#439
On March 02 2016 10:34 InfamousAmos wrote:
Is there a page that gives the 101 of build order counters for ZvZ?

Also, one specific question: what does hatch first v. speedling expand (or baneling all-in) look like? (I know hatch first "can" hold, but does one side have an advantage?)


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/499697-zerg-versus-zerg-overview
brickrd
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States4894 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 14:07:52
March 02 2016 12:51 GMT
#440
On March 02 2016 11:20 Hotshot wrote:
I am new to zerg, and I am wondering if there are there any good vods and tutorials how to beat meching terran in WOL as zerg? In the second time in one week I had a brutal and unfun game vs a meching terran. I am top 8 diamond in wol (currently 1st), yet my last game was vs some 7 time plat (and he played badly too), but I just can't seem to get anything to work vs a meching terrran.

Its like thors kills every unit I use (hydra/roach/mutas/corruptors/broods) and marines kill lings easily while tanks and planataries make some positions unbreakable. In the meantime terran has the air for free.

I keep hearing broods/infestors, but I can't seem to get it to work. Seems broods just die to vikings, ravens or thors while the terran laughs with his planateries.



how to fight mech is a complicated subject but you don't mention queens - when youre going for a hive deathball as zerg having queens to transfuse units like ultras, brood lords, overseers, vipers and infestors really helps (anywhere from 5-15 depending on the game). queens are also really good at damaging fragile air units in engagements because of their high AA range. massing vipers and evolution chambers (to consume for more viper energy) is also useful

there are so many different compositions a mech player can have that there's no one answer, it's really all about doing hard, massive tech switches to reduce his army size or deny bases at critical moments while continuing to expand. focus on holding important positions - like if he's on 3 base , set up your army in an open area near where he wants to take his 4th and be very careful and patient, then try to take the best engagement you can and remax on units he will be weak to after the fight. but you don't want to just force into a base he already has set up with a planetary, that's where mech is strong
TL+ Member
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 15051
StarCastTV_EN342
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 301
Lowko257
ProTech121
Rex 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 10284
EffOrt 5342
BeSt 1543
ZerO 1001
Larva 957
Hyuk 884
Horang2 713
Hyun 288
Zeus 238
Killer 194
[ Show more ]
Light 180
Stork 168
Barracks 129
Rush 72
Shinee 43
ToSsGirL 39
Bale 32
Mong 24
Terrorterran 23
PianO 20
Sacsri 19
sorry 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
HiyA 9
Noble 7
Dota 2
XaKoH 724
Dendi2
League of Legends
KnowMe38
Counter-Strike
byalli909
Other Games
singsing1855
olofmeister1406
crisheroes251
Sick171
Pyrionflax122
ArmadaUGS50
Mew2King50
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream305
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 193
lovetv 9
StarCraft 2
WardiTV5
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH295
• StrangeGG 34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1951
• Stunt367
Other Games
• WagamamaTV174
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
14m
Rex65
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 14m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 14m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.