• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:50
CEST 16:50
KST 23:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6717 users

The HotS Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 52

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 367 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions. Do not just ask for build orders.
sambo400
Profile Joined March 2011
United States378 Posts
April 11 2013 05:40 GMT
#1021
Are there any generalizations we can make yet about PvZ? This matchup is giving me no end of grief so far in Hots. I am low masters on NA, was always high diamond in WoL but couldn't quite make that jump until the mass influx of new players gave me a boost.

In WoL I made it my standard heuristic in PvZ I basically need to do 3 things. First stop any early cheese I see coming, second don't get blindsided by mutas or some sort of infestor cheese, and third that I need to kill Zerg before spine/blord/infestor deathball, so I got pretty good at a 3 base stalker/sentry/immortal/DT timing just before broods where I would split their focus up with a warp prism then get good engagments.

But do such solid, standard heuristics exist in Hots as of yet? I basically have no clue what to do anymore (these toss-hating maps with untakable thirds are giving me a hard time). I hate 2 base timings with a passion because its not up to me to win, its up to zerg to lose, and I really dislike stargate just because its hard to macro while you use the units, and the relative badness of the units in direct engagements makes every second and mineral you have critical if zerg holds r. I'm on the verge of just cheesing until someone comes up with a solid style that allows you to outplay zerg without depending on their mistakes. I typically do nexus first forge expands (obviously not if I'm playing in the dark, then I go forge), and follow up with basically my same build as wings, but these maps just don't let you take a 3rd until you are significantly behind in econ and it feels like nothing I do matters (with the obvious exception of akilon wastes).I will consider stargate plays but I just can't see them being the answer.
3LILpigs
Profile Joined August 2011
Philippines16 Posts
April 11 2013 05:56 GMT
#1022
hi guys count me in on the clueless in PVZ group. can some one break down a gateway build for me in PvZ. I have been doing FFEs but to no avail. thanks in advance
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
April 11 2013 07:31 GMT
#1023
Read my last post, salv's post, and the questions in the OP. Generally, both star/4gate/robo and robo expand are viable.

It's a really changed matchup so it's really really hard to just write a complete overview rather than answering specific questions; the biggest change is that you don't have to kill Z before infr/broodlord since we are now (appearently) stronger in the lategame.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
3LILpigs
Profile Joined August 2011
Philippines16 Posts
April 11 2013 07:50 GMT
#1024
On April 11 2013 16:31 Teoita wrote:
Read my last post, salv's post, and the questions in the OP. Generally, both star/4gate/robo and robo expand are viable.

It's a really changed matchup so it's really really hard to just write a complete overview rather than answering specific questions; the biggest change is that you don't have to kill Z before infr/broodlord since we are now (appearently) stronger in the lategame.

im guessing i might be doing something wrong... i cant seem to manage my gas and mineral consumption and i always find my self rushing to get 3 colo and have less stalker...
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now
blooblooblahblah
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4163 Posts
April 11 2013 07:55 GMT
#1025
How are you guys playing against the muta corruptor style. It's a style that has existed since beta but i have faced it very little on the ladder and don't have a good amount of practice against it. It's particularly annoying when they throw down both a spire and an infestation pit, i feel like i have to go colossi to have any chance against swarm hosts, but then they just go muta corruptor and even constant phoenix production doesn't seem to be enough against the style if you don't have blink or a templar archives on the way.
Ganzi beat me without stim. Ostojiy beat me with a nydus. Siphonn beat me with probes. Revival beat my sentry-immortal all-in.
SteveNick
Profile Joined November 2008
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 08:25:15
April 11 2013 08:24 GMT
#1026
On April 11 2013 16:55 blooblooblahblah wrote:
How are you guys playing against the muta corruptor style. It's a style that has existed since beta but i have faced it very little on the ladder and don't have a good amount of practice against it. It's particularly annoying when they throw down both a spire and an infestation pit, i feel like i have to go colossi to have any chance against swarm hosts, but then they just go muta corruptor and even constant phoenix production doesn't seem to be enough against the style if you don't have blink or a templar archives on the way.


Are you getting phoenix range? If they commit to the mutas and start adding in corruptors you have to get a fleet beacon and +2 range to phoenix immediately. With that you can out-range corruptors and mutas. If you don't get the +2 you won't be able to do much against the mutalisks with corruptor support. Obviously you're still going to have trouble if you don't have any stalkers or HT/archon supporting, so you need to get those too. The good thing is that once you gain the upperhand with your phoenixes, the game is over because you can just chase them until all their muta/corruptor is dead. If you can do some damage with your HT/stalker composition to their muta/corruptor ball, then your phoenixes can just clean up. Mostly just remember that your phoenixes can kite the muta/corruptor indefinitely and once you get your phoenix numbers up you can wittle down his air quickly.

I almost never see direct muta/corruptor openings on ladder, though, so you probably wouldn't have to play against it that often unless it becomes the new flavour. It seems to be a little more popular in GM play(I've seen from watching streams), but I'm mid-masters and I pretty much never see it.

For swarm host composition that adds in/transitions to corruptor/muta I usually have archon/HT to go with my collosi and it seems to work ok. I haven't seen much about how pro players are dealing with this, but in my games I've had a lot of success with archon/collosus vs. swarm host since even if they transition, your archons can do okay in defending your collosi against air, and if they commit heavily to the air you can drop stargates and make phoenix while stalling with HT/archon/stalkers.
It's all fun and games until somebody gets 4gated.
Rickyvalle21
Profile Joined July 2012
United States320 Posts
April 11 2013 10:47 GMT
#1027
When i open robo expand vs stargate is blink the proper response to overproduced pheonix?. Even when I get blink they still pick off probes and get behind. I tried a timing attack(as suggested) with blink stalker with chargelots and archons but it doesnt work out to well vs voidray chargelot phenix with photon overcharge.

replay: http://drop.sc/321763

Was it bad timing/execution. Could I have had better defense with blink stalkers? Should I have not overcommitted?
I am clueless as to what I could have done differently.

people say practice is perfect but if nothing is perfect whats the point in practicing?
swagsurgeon
Profile Joined June 2012
United States12 Posts
April 11 2013 10:56 GMT
#1028
After experimenting with different tech choices against the same tech path I find myself in a bad spot. I still can't beat mass muta corrupter. Or atleast when a good zerg does it and doesn't make glaring mistakes I almost always lose. I've tried just about everything, I almost exclusively open sg in pvz, so ive tried staker pheonix, ive tried storm, I feel as if no matter what you do zerg is so far ahead. You cant harass them, while they can deny your bases. So ive had games where even if I don't take damage, i still end up losing. Its almost impossible to move out vs it, you instantly lose a base if you try to, any tips from anyone would be valued at this point.
top 50 gm toss
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
April 11 2013 11:33 GMT
#1029
On April 11 2013 14:14 jcroisdale wrote:
In WoL I liked using a 4gate robo style in PvZ. Taking my third, twilight, council, and robo bay all around 830-9 minutes.

I have been using a the same basic style in HOTS, scouting with hallucination normally when I would see mutas i would go blink/storm, which doesn't seem to be the best choice in HOTS. So we are left with double SG phoenix, but by the time I scout its to late to throw down 2 SGS and get enough phx to stop his the harass.

My question is, is it possible to still take a third off of just 4gateRobo or do I need to just open Sg -> 4gate robo -> third.


As far as I know, Stargate is the only viable opening vs Zerg unless you scout that he is not taking a third base. You can defend 2Base Mutas with Blink/Storm.
The new Mutas are so strong that they completely ignore Storm, they are out of it so quickly and then regen the lost HP in the blink of an eye.

Go Stargate -> Robo 4Gate
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
April 11 2013 11:43 GMT
#1030
On April 11 2013 19:56 swagsurgeon wrote:
After experimenting with different tech choices against the same tech path I find myself in a bad spot. I still can't beat mass muta corrupter. Or atleast when a good zerg does it and doesn't make glaring mistakes I almost always lose. I've tried just about everything, I almost exclusively open sg in pvz, so ive tried staker pheonix, ive tried storm, I feel as if no matter what you do zerg is so far ahead. You cant harass them, while they can deny your bases. So ive had games where even if I don't take damage, i still end up losing. Its almost impossible to move out vs it, you instantly lose a base if you try to, any tips from anyone would be valued at this point.

Muta Corrutpor loses to Phoenix Void Ray if you target correctly. VRs just eat Corruptors so quickly same with Phoenix vs Mutas.
In this situation I would also advise to get shield upgrades and slowly tech to Storm.
Gamma4
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia75 Posts
April 11 2013 12:00 GMT
#1031
Ok, someone PLEASE help me with PvZ, im losing every game vs Z and its really starting to make me mad. Last I held a 7 roach rush comfortable losing like 4-5 probes, was waaaay ahead in economy early - midgame, then got demolished by swarmhost/ hydra/ corruptos/ overseer. I had no idea what to do. I thought of skytoss but the transitions is really hard to do, any tips on transitioning from a ground army with good upgrades to skytoss with no upgrades?
Just Huking around ;)
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
April 11 2013 12:11 GMT
#1032
On April 11 2013 16:31 Teoita wrote:
Read my last post, salv's post, and the questions in the OP. Generally, both star/4gate/robo and robo expand are viable.

It's a really changed matchup so it's really really hard to just write a complete overview rather than answering specific questions; the biggest change is that you don't have to kill Z before infr/broodlord since we are now (appearently) stronger in the lategame.


Have you played against Catz bag of tricks? Swarm host, viper, infestor + AA if u go air or Hydra Ultra if ground. Just saw minigun being insanely ahead in the mid and endgame but once catz got it up he simply couldn't win. He tried just about everything since he was filthy rich. This combo seems to be the "new" broodlord infestor, Day9 covered it in a daily a day ago or so and it just seems unbreakable if it gets up.
Kinon
Profile Joined October 2012
Romania207 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 13:35:01
April 11 2013 13:31 GMT
#1033
On April 11 2013 21:00 Gamma4 wrote:
Ok, someone PLEASE help me with PvZ, im losing every game vs Z and its really starting to make me mad. Last I held a 7 roach rush comfortable losing like 4-5 probes, was waaaay ahead in economy early - midgame, then got demolished by swarmhost/ hydra/ corruptos/ overseer. I had no idea what to do. I thought of skytoss but the transitions is really hard to do, any tips on transitioning from a ground army with good upgrades to skytoss with no upgrades?


I'm only diamond, but after holding a roach rush/baneling bust I just go Immortal all-in (2-3 immortals, 6-7 sentries, stalkers). If he goes early pool, I go proxy 3 gate and kill him (look at page 37 for the full guide on this). For macro game I suggest you watch this replay I got from Desrow himself: http://drop.sc/315792 (ffe-->stargate-->4 gate pressure)
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
April 11 2013 14:58 GMT
#1034
You should do whatever you damn well please after holding off a roach rush, please post a replay. Most zergs gg out after they fail it.


Have you played against Catz bag of tricks? Swarm host, viper, infestor + AA if u go air or Hydra Ultra if ground. Just saw minigun being insanely ahead in the mid and endgame but once catz got it up he simply couldn't win. He tried just about everything since he was filthy rich. This combo seems to be the "new" broodlord infestor, Day9 covered it in a daily a day ago or so and it just seems unbreakable if it gets up.


Yes. Never beaten it but i've never played well either, so dunno. On paper having good templar micro and a high colossus count should allow you to fight it head on, and ofc warp prism harassment vs that kind of turtly play can be very strong.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
April 11 2013 17:02 GMT
#1035
On April 11 2013 23:58 Teoita wrote:
You should do whatever you damn well please after holding off a roach rush, please post a replay. Most zergs gg out after they fail it.

Show nested quote +

Have you played against Catz bag of tricks? Swarm host, viper, infestor + AA if u go air or Hydra Ultra if ground. Just saw minigun being insanely ahead in the mid and endgame but once catz got it up he simply couldn't win. He tried just about everything since he was filthy rich. This combo seems to be the "new" broodlord infestor, Day9 covered it in a daily a day ago or so and it just seems unbreakable if it gets up.


Yes. Never beaten it but i've never played well either, so dunno. On paper having good templar micro and a high colossus count should allow you to fight it head on, and ofc warp prism harassment vs that kind of turtly play can be very strong.


Yes i theorize that you have to max out without getting baited to close so vipers keep pulling stuff in and then just go balls to the walls all or nothing. That might mean sacrificing an expansion under siege however while you max. I haven't tried flanking it yet since i haven´t had a chance but i also think if you can get a decent flank of aka not have to run through a gauntlet of spines to get to his stuff you should smash it.
cRsJoaoccf
Profile Joined September 2011
Brazil14 Posts
April 11 2013 19:21 GMT
#1036
Hey guys, I just can't play macro in PvT against mech. It seems like my problem isn't my early game, but my late game. Actually I'm trying to play some macro games in PvT because I do like macro game, but it's so hard now times D: Last week I was going for some allins with Void Rays or Oracle, but it isn't working anymore.

Basically the terran waited to attack me until he got 200/200. He was 2/3 and he had some hellbats, but he made a lot of tanks D: I had 6 imm and 7 archons, but it didn't help that much. Is my army composition wrong?

If u wanna some replay to help me: http://sc2shr.com/BDW

Ty everyone ((:
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
April 11 2013 19:31 GMT
#1037
Anyone figured out how to beat 2 base swarmhost nydus all in yet? I loosely call it an all in, because it's really not as the zerg takes the map while you struggle to get out 8 colossi to get out of your base. Double robo colossi just doesn't cut it.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Gessen
Profile Joined February 2011
United States19 Posts
April 11 2013 21:03 GMT
#1038
Hey guys, Diamond toss here, having trouble with 6 pool into 2 base ling/muta into 3base ling/bane muta/corrupter. I have no problem surviving the six pool and then getting up my nat. I'm just wondering if anyone has run into this build and what they've had success doing. I was going for DTs, but they were scouted. Because of his high ling count I assumed muta and started phoenix production. Had a few bad engagements and just got starved out.

Maybe I need storm, maybe I need better engagements. Maybe I need better transitions out of defending the six pool. Would love some advice/suggestions.

Here is a replay:
http://drop.sc/321835
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
April 11 2013 21:15 GMT
#1039
Get a few sentries up and use hallucinated phoenix to check on what he's actually doing, his tech and his drone count etc. Having that information is great, plus it allows you to skip a Robo for obs for a little bit and get other tech up
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 22:19:15
April 11 2013 22:18 GMT
#1040
Also, anyone faced 1-1-1 with widow mines yet? Seems like 5g robo doesn't stop it anymore now that your zealots disappear in a flash, and flanking is impossible because you can't leave your base for fear of widow mine drops.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 367 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 86
Codebar 56
Reynor 23
RotterdaM 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 64460
Bisu 3462
FanTaSy 1230
Stork 774
Rush 583
hero 236
Snow 214
firebathero 197
Mind 104
Sharp 80
[ Show more ]
Free 72
Sexy 62
Pusan 56
ToSsGirL 47
Last 39
Trap 37
Bale 29
Mong 27
Hm[arnc] 23
HiyA 19
Rock 18
Terrorterran 16
yabsab 16
Aegong 14
zelot 12
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Shine 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9754
Dendi872
Counter-Strike
fl0m2255
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King90
Other Games
singsing2283
Liquid`RaSZi1392
Beastyqt713
B2W.Neo663
Mlord552
olofmeister468
Khaldor359
Happy323
KnowMe277
Hui .219
crisheroes171
Chillindude65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV256
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• HeavenSC 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony6
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV514
League of Legends
• Nemesis4188
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1344
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
10m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 10m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 10m
OSC
8h 10m
Replay Cast
8h 10m
OSC
21h 10m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.