• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:29
CEST 09:29
KST 16:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8610 users

The HotS Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 89

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 87 88 89 90 91 269 Next
willstertben
Profile Joined May 2013
427 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 15:35:53
July 28 2013 15:34 GMT
#1761
On July 28 2013 23:57 KingofGods wrote:
When going roach / hydra what is the ideal ratio for each? Are roaches only good to tank damage in this composition?



vs toss:

before hive: all gas into hydra, mins into overlord, few roaches, some lings
after hive: 2 vipers, all gas into roach, attack when vipers have full energy


vs zerg:
pure roach to at least 140 supply, more if he threatens to attack
max out with pure hydra


vs terran:

dont even bother
Gchzr
Profile Joined March 2012
Argentina57 Posts
July 28 2013 16:30 GMT
#1762
How many bases do you need to have saturated at once? i mean, if i went super greedy within some minutes in game and got 4-5 bases, do i need 16mi/6ga for each? or do i need to have 3 saturated and the gases of the others? This is because when i usually got my 4th base i have low patches in my first so i transfers, but some times my opponent got 3 quick bases and i should get my 4th sooner.
loginn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
France815 Posts
July 28 2013 17:20 GMT
#1763
On July 29 2013 00:34 willstertben wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 23:57 KingofGods wrote:
When going roach / hydra what is the ideal ratio for each? Are roaches only good to tank damage in this composition?



vs toss:

before hive: all gas into hydra, mins into overlord, few roaches, some lings
after hive: 2 vipers, all gas into roach, attack when vipers have full energy


vs zerg:
pure roach to at least 140 supply, more if he threatens to attack
max out with pure hydra


vs terran:

dont even bother

I've been playing with roach hydra vs T and it works well enough. Plus it's a fun strategy to play with and it fights biomine straight up cost efficiently.
Stephano, Taking skill to the bank since IPL3. Also Lucifron and FBH
Natureboy
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden85 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 19:31:26
July 28 2013 19:29 GMT
#1764
I'm one of these players that has pretty alright macro up until 3rd base, and then starts floating. Are there any general tips on how to spend those minerals? I have a bad habit of getting supply blocked, and I think that certainly doesn't help but I doubt that's the real issue. It just feels like I can't produce enough units to actually keep my money low, and it feels scary for me to tech too soon after taking 3rd base. I do tend to be quite greedy with my drones early and midgame, so maybe I just have more money than I "should" have in that specific time of the game and I should just focus on teching up and building a shit ton of units. I don't know.
Advice? I'll provide a couple of replays of me playing on high gold level(I've been a high plat player for like the last 2 years, but for some reason Blizzard decided that I should be in gold this season instead, for unknown reason).

vP http://drop.sc/352006 - I lose pretty badly. Maybe someone could help me comment on if killing his warpin pylon with my swarm hosts was what made me lose so hard. I think I might have held it if I had ignored it and just went for his army instead. Also, I really should have taken the other 3rd since I was going SH.

vT http://drop.sc/352007 - I just win for denying his 3rd making it 5 base vs 2 base.
loginn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
France815 Posts
July 28 2013 20:25 GMT
#1765
You just need macro hatches. :/ Don't be afraid to put two down if you are floating over 1.5K.
Stephano, Taking skill to the bank since IPL3. Also Lucifron and FBH
juusoko
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland79 Posts
July 28 2013 22:10 GMT
#1766
Can mothership be A) abducted by vipers B) neural parasited by infestors and then Recalled to Z base?

Just lost to a gold protoss (im diamond...) and it was infuriating as hell. I just want to fuck a mothership "based" strat completely, if it comes again.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
July 28 2013 22:15 GMT
#1767
On July 29 2013 07:10 juusoko wrote:
Can mothership be A) abducted by vipers B) neural parasited by infestors and then Recalled to Z base?

Just lost to a gold protoss (im diamond...) and it was infuriating as hell. I just want to fuck a mothership "based" strat completely, if it comes again.


You can abduct, you can neural parasite and I imagine you can recall to a zerg base but I have never tried it haha.
When I think of something else, something will go here
DaftFunk
Profile Joined June 2013
194 Posts
July 28 2013 23:57 GMT
#1768
On July 29 2013 07:15 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2013 07:10 juusoko wrote:
Can mothership be A) abducted by vipers B) neural parasited by infestors and then Recalled to Z base?

Just lost to a gold protoss (im diamond...) and it was infuriating as hell. I just want to fuck a mothership "based" strat completely, if it comes again.


You can abduct, you can neural parasite and I imagine you can recall to a zerg base but I have never tried it haha.


i tried and you cant recall
Gr33n
Profile Blog Joined July 2013
Bahamas113 Posts
July 29 2013 05:02 GMT
#1769
On July 29 2013 01:30 Gchzr wrote:
How many bases do you need to have saturated at once? i mean, if i went super greedy within some minutes in game and got 4-5 bases, do i need 16mi/6ga for each? or do i need to have 3 saturated and the gases of the others? This is because when i usually got my 4th base i have low patches in my first so i transfers, but some times my opponent got 3 quick bases and i should get my 4th sooner.



if you had choice of saturation prob 75-80 followed by intense trading. the more drones you make the more you have to try and trade well though doing this is a surefire win its not always that easy as z.

if you are doing something really gas intensive you can mine 5 base gas but i wouldnt put more then 3 1/2 bases worth of mineral mining (56 drones)
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
July 29 2013 07:08 GMT
#1770
I keep losing my third to terran bio because I get contained by 4-8 hellions, I get up 2 queens and sometimes a spine and drone up, go lair, then take a third. Usually the bio force hits around now and I have no units, my lair is done, the baneling nest only just done. On maps where there's no overlord positioning near the natural I can't see them move out in time to morph banes after my ling scouting is denied by hellions.

Either way I get caught in this indecision on whether or not to take the 3rd base early after I see CC first or just drone up on 2 base first.
Would I be in a worse or better position against the bio timing after the hellion harass if I took a 3rd base early right after seeing CC first?
Die tomorrow - Live today
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-29 07:12:16
July 29 2013 07:11 GMT
#1771
On July 29 2013 16:08 DarKcS wrote:
I keep losing my third to terran bio because I get contained by 4-8 hellions, I get up 2 queens and sometimes a spine and drone up, go lair, then take a third. Usually the bio force hits around now and I have no units, my lair is done, the baneling nest only just done. On maps where there's no overlord positioning near the natural I can't see them move out in time to morph banes after my ling scouting is denied by hellions.

Either way I get caught in this indecision on whether or not to take the 3rd base early after I see CC first or just drone up on 2 base first.
Would I be in a worse or better position against the bio timing after the hellion harass if I took a 3rd base early right after seeing CC first?


Well whenever a terran takes an expansion (CC first, Reaper expand, 1 rax expand) you should always be taking a third between 5:30 - 6 minutes and no later. Versus CC first you can go 3 hatch before pool (15 hatch, 17 hatch, 17 pool, 17 overlord, 20 overlord).

Sacrificing an overlord at 6 minutes can be very critical because if terran is going to do some sort of aggression, you won't see a 3rd CC and you'll see more rax then normal. Also having roaches out on the map can be nice to so that you can see when the push from terran is coming, or you can try to overwhelm the hellions with lings.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Natureboy
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden85 Posts
July 29 2013 07:33 GMT
#1772
I over produce drones sooooo much. Last game I played I produced 156 drones... And he wasn't even harrasing me/killing a lot of drones. Are there any easy ways to avoid over producing drones? Two of the things that I die from the most is not having enough units and making too many drones. I need to find a way to balance my production more. Any tips?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
July 29 2013 07:40 GMT
#1773
On July 29 2013 16:33 vonKlaust II wrote:
I over produce drones sooooo much. Last game I played I produced 156 drones... And he wasn't even harrasing me/killing a lot of drones. Are there any easy ways to avoid over producing drones? Two of the things that I die from the most is not having enough units and making too many drones. I need to find a way to balance my production more. Any tips?


Look at the saturation at your bases, you should only have 16 drones on minerals 3 per gas and at most have 4 saturated bases (this is about 85 drones). If you make 156 drones uh are you saturating like 7 bases?
When I think of something else, something will go here
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
July 29 2013 07:53 GMT
#1774
You still get extra income from over 16 right? I remember that chart..at how many drones does it drop to negligible return?
Die tomorrow - Live today
Decendos
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany1341 Posts
July 29 2013 07:55 GMT
#1775
do you guys think its worth to get roach warren + burrow to deal with gate expand into 4 gate pressure since it crushes 4 gate + you can delay his 3rd (burrowed ling + counter roach pressure)?

vs gate expand into 3 gate + forge: at which timing is WG ready + what are the gas + 3rd base timing for Z + when to take lingspeed, lair, roach warren? got some problems reading gate openings
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
July 29 2013 07:57 GMT
#1776
On July 29 2013 16:53 DarKcS wrote:
You still get extra income from over 16 right? I remember that chart..at how many drones does it drop to negligible return?


Yes you do, but there is no reason to have over 16. It is once you get more then 24 drones (so 25+) where the income will not be any more then 24.
When I think of something else, something will go here
hearters
Profile Joined May 2013
Singapore224 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-29 08:22:09
July 29 2013 08:13 GMT
#1777
On July 29 2013 16:57 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2013 16:53 DarKcS wrote:
You still get extra income from over 16 right? I remember that chart..at how many drones does it drop to negligible return?


Yes you do, but there is no reason to have over 16. It is once you get more then 24 drones (so 25+) where the income will not be any more then 24.


IMO, it's fine to get over 16 drones if you can survive doing so.

20 drones is significantly more income than 16 drones. Above 20 drones, it becomes nearly negligible.

From what I remember watching Ret's games, he loves to oversaturate on drones.

I believe the idea is that zerg will eventually turn some drones into tech buildings, hatcheries, extractors and crawlers. By making the drones early, they can pay for the buildings they eventually turn into.


The main issue is surviving when you 'overdrone'. You not only lose the minerals that could be used for army, you also lose the larvae. Zerg is already often the 'defensive' race, and 'overdroning' will hurt your defense for some time.
Research: 1. Creep Spread Trick 2. Patrol Splitting Zerglings 3. Multiple Queen Production 4. Organised Creep Spread 5. Select Larvae/Morph Unit Rapidfire
Mutaller
Profile Blog Joined July 2013
United States1051 Posts
July 29 2013 08:38 GMT
#1778
On July 29 2013 17:13 hearters wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2013 16:57 blade55555 wrote:
On July 29 2013 16:53 DarKcS wrote:
You still get extra income from over 16 right? I remember that chart..at how many drones does it drop to negligible return?


Yes you do, but there is no reason to have over 16. It is once you get more then 24 drones (so 25+) where the income will not be any more then 24.


IMO, it's fine to get over 16 drones if you can survive doing so.

20 drones is significantly more income than 16 drones. Above 20 drones, it becomes nearly negligible.

From what I remember watching Ret's games, he loves to oversaturate on drones.

I believe the idea is that zerg will eventually turn some drones into tech buildings, hatcheries, extractors and crawlers. By making the drones early, they can pay for the buildings they eventually turn into.


The main issue is surviving when you 'overdrone'. You not only lose the minerals that could be used for army, you also lose the larvae. Zerg is already often the 'defensive' race, and 'overdroning' will hurt your defense for some time.


oversaturated is much better then being under saturated, people make it sound soooo bad.
going over 16 is alright but 16 is a great amount because you are capable to create units and still be able to have enough to stock pile minerals expand for the most part.

"To practice isn't for you to get better now in the present. Practice will never betray you and will always come back for you in the future." -Jaedong
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
July 29 2013 08:41 GMT
#1779
On July 29 2013 17:38 reps)squishy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2013 17:13 hearters wrote:
On July 29 2013 16:57 blade55555 wrote:
On July 29 2013 16:53 DarKcS wrote:
You still get extra income from over 16 right? I remember that chart..at how many drones does it drop to negligible return?


Yes you do, but there is no reason to have over 16. It is once you get more then 24 drones (so 25+) where the income will not be any more then 24.


IMO, it's fine to get over 16 drones if you can survive doing so.

20 drones is significantly more income than 16 drones. Above 20 drones, it becomes nearly negligible.

From what I remember watching Ret's games, he loves to oversaturate on drones.

I believe the idea is that zerg will eventually turn some drones into tech buildings, hatcheries, extractors and crawlers. By making the drones early, they can pay for the buildings they eventually turn into.


The main issue is surviving when you 'overdrone'. You not only lose the minerals that could be used for army, you also lose the larvae. Zerg is already often the 'defensive' race, and 'overdroning' will hurt your defense for some time.


oversaturated is much better then being under saturated, people make it sound soooo bad.
going over 16 is alright but 16 is a great amount because you are capable to create units and still be able to have enough to stock pile minerals expand for the most part.



While true, if you have 4 bases it is better to have 4 bases with 16 mineral saturation then 3 bases with 20 and 1 with 4.
When I think of something else, something will go here
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
July 29 2013 09:16 GMT
#1780
Another adjustment I seem to be making I'm not sure if it's hurting my play, when I see a gateway opening I take gas immediately and don't take my 3rd until I have the minerals for it which can be almost 2 minutes later with queen+drone production constantly. Should I just take the 3rd right away? Sure..I've seen pros on stream do exactly what I just said I do by taking a late 3rd, but I hope it's not a really bad choice.
Die tomorrow - Live today
Prev 1 87 88 89 90 91 269 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 563
GuemChi 439
Leta 354
sSak 42
sorry 33
Bale 31
Soma 31
910 21
BeSt 21
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
[ Show more ]
Noble 12
Dota 2
febbydoto12
League of Legends
JimRising 542
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss446
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King117
Other Games
summit1g8386
ceh9469
olofmeister458
Happy345
Trikslyr22
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick473
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast36
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2230
League of Legends
• Stunt449
Other Games
• Shiphtur492
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 31m
Patches Events
8h 31m
The PondCast
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.