• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:58
CEST 11:58
KST 18:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6661 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 332

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 330 331 332 333 334 432 Next
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
May 19 2014 23:21 GMT
#6621
Hey JaK,

I created a first version of the ZLM 2.0 layout (HOTS multiplayer only) and sent it to you via pull request on github. It is only a first version, but could you run the remapping script, if it is not too time consuming? So people can give it a try and give some feedback on what changes need to be made.

Greetings,
YoTcA
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-20 00:28:15
May 20 2014 00:12 GMT
#6622
hey hey, I'll get on that as soon as I can


EDIT:
Random and Zerg 2.0 have just been updated! BE WARNED: this shit is going to be messy. We'll be doing our best to clean it up.

You can get them on github.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Bulgogi
Profile Joined March 2010
United States60 Posts
May 20 2014 07:15 GMT
#6623
I tried the new 2.0 core this afternoon and surprisingly a lot of the key combinations are very smooth. You can hit a lot of keys consecutively without much trouble. However, one thing I didn't like as much was that a lot of important units and abilities were being hit with "-" such as overlord and inject larvae. One of the original modifications I made to the core 1.0 was that I had it so I didn't have to turn my keyboard or twist my wrist. I would probably have to trade that key and switch it around with another key that is closer but one that I could still hit consecutively.

I guess I'll be waiting a bit for things to settle down so that I can decide if I'll make the switch. Also, I'm not really sure how to use the new core 2.0 properly because the cameras,army, macro control groups are set differently. If Jak can make one of those videos that he always does like "How to play Zerg with the new Core 2.0", that'd be great. Like at the start of the game, set up the camera and hatcheries. Once you get the queen, bind the queen. How to spread larvae. How to bind army... etc.
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
May 20 2014 08:49 GMT
#6624
Hey Bulgogi,
The reason why the Overloard is on such a 'bad' key is, that you will build about 25 Overloards in a game. So this button is important in the early game, but will only be pressed about 30 times, if you lose some Ovis. This is the reason we gave the Overloard a lower priority than Drones, Lings and Roaches, as those units are often produced by the hundreds.

Despite that, I share your feeling on the inject button and am searching for a solution. So far the Zerg version does not include any gimmicks like rapid fire injects or creep spread cam. It is just a pretty early version to give the general finger split option we chose a test run.
For your question about CGs and Camera keys, they are both on the middle and ring finger. I will try to update the key use overview today. Maybe this will help.
_________________________

Another thing I would like to have some feedback on is:
Do you prefer consistency with abilities or a lower keyscore? Example Blinding Cloud and Fungal Growth, both aoe spells that feel similar to each other. At the moment both abilities have 2 key binds associated to them, one with a low KS for easy use and one, so both abilities can share a key. As only the first key will show up in the command card, would you prefer to see the key with the lowest KS or the key that provides some consistency by putting both aoe spells on the same button?
I feel like the ‘consistency key’ could help with learning the new layout quicker, but the goal of TheCore is to provide the best usability after you know all the hotkeys by heart (what would be a reason for the lowest KS possible).
Bulgogi
Profile Joined March 2010
United States60 Posts
May 20 2014 09:02 GMT
#6625
I don't use the rapid fire inject system because you have to mash both keys at the same time precisely and it's pretty difficult to do if you're nervous in a match and doing a million other things at once. I also prefer the control of the layered inject cameras. Also I don't use creep cams because I follow my queens instead of a position I have to constantly change.

In my setup, I put fungal growth and abduct on the same key. Why? In a lot of end game situations, that is what happens the most often to me. With viking raven battlecruiser, fungal growth is essential but not blinding cloud. But you can still abduct battle cruisers. With protoss death balls, usually it's to abduct the collosi for roach hydra or fungal the void rays. The only time I would use blinding cloud is for tanks or if the protoss has a lot of templar out and I can't get close enough to their army without getting feedbacked. So you can see why I put it on another key even though blinding cloud and fungal might "feel" the same.
brothersadcase
Profile Joined May 2014
11 Posts
May 20 2014 11:25 GMT
#6626
Hey, guys, I don't have much time today to muck around with the new set, but here are my first thoughts (all about Terran, the only race I play right now).

I still don't like stim on K, but, trying out the new suggested CGs, i.e., main army on I, it's not that bad at all. And actually, I think that main army on I is pretty damn sweet.

I like how a lot of skills have been moved off '-'. Semi-colon is much nicer. If, like me, you've been putting your tanks on L. Semi-Colon is much nicer, quicker and smoother.

For Medivacs, currently heal is on / and load is on -. I think it might be better the other way round. I doubt anyone uses load when you can just right-click, but maybe there'll be times when you'll want to specify a particular unit to heal, fast, and obviously, '-' is a faster press than /. Having said all this, probably you'd be better off using scan move anyway.

For some reason, alternate burrow widow mine is on 7, whereas all the other 'burrow' alts are I. I'm guessing it's to do with rapid-fire, but I'm still a noob, so I can't think why you'd want to rapid fire widow mine burrows.

OK, that's all for now ^ ^



Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-20 12:43:24
May 20 2014 12:40 GMT
#6627
The zerg layout does currently include both rapid fire inject and creep spread. For righties, queens go on U hit with the pinky, and RF+base came are - and =.

Creep spread (with rapid fire) is on J. The creep cam recalls are all selected with the middle finger on index keys, and set with the index finger on the key to the right of that. So for righties it would be:
- (recall) m
J (spread) p
= (set) i
P (recall) m
J (spread) p
[ (set) i
; (recall) m
J (spread) p
' (set) i
All holding ctrl
Both these systems have the constraint of being able to press O with middle immediately after the sequence to make units or OLs.

Neither of these is especially comfortable at first. However, after 45 minutes of focuses practice last night, i believe it is better than the previous iteration. Creep being on a little staircase like that makes it very easy to know what is what if you mix up your cameras, and pinky up to U isnt terrible when you move your index up at the same time.

By the way, you could put your queens on 0. We believe that U is a better choice because it makes getting back to the hatches for units a bit easier, and because with the rapidfire technique, its not necessary to allocate the queens a supernice key score. Instead the priority is being able to select queens, inject/basecam, and return to hatches are quickly as possible.

If you are having trouble rapid firing two keys, you could remove them from the keyboard and put them back in facing eachother. This makes the highest parts of the keys as close together as possible, making the surface distance of the keys very close. (This only works with a mechanical keyboard though, and be careful taking the keys out.)
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-20 14:57:12
May 20 2014 13:34 GMT
#6628
@Bulgogi: Thanks for the feedback. That is a good point I did not think of. atm Fungal and Abduct are already on the same hotkey, so I think we can leave it that way.

@Ninjury_J
Ah, that is the reason inject was put on '-' . But I think there are also some players who do not use rapid fire inject (myself included, because my keyboard doesn’t support it) and without the rapid fire or basecam method '-' becomes kind of awkward for one of the most important spells in the game. But I do not see a possibility how to get it on a better key without destroying all the sequences you mentioned. Maybe we could put Inject on [ and the rapid fire Transfuse on -. For me it feels a bit more comfortable. With the 3rd and 4th basecam being on L and K atm, not having to reach up to - makes it a little easier. But I am open for more input on that matter.


Edit:
There is a little problem with the Conversion of ZLM to ZRM US. The ‘cancel’ key is rebound from A to Apostrophe (= # in game), where it should end up on Grave (= ‘ in game).
The german version looks fine, as far as I checked it.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-20 15:04:17
May 20 2014 15:01 GMT
#6629
One of the founding principles of TheCore is to optimize for optimal play. We have made some exceptions to this in the Random layout because we wanted to provide an option for people looking for a version of TheCore that is "easier to learn". This leaves the Z T and P layouts to really get deep in the optimization. It's important to remember that what we are building is the "stock" version of TheCore, and players are expected to make their own personalization where necessary.

That being said. Rapid Fire inject is currently the fastest most consistent inject method and in optimal play it is used by default. The one exception is when a queen is too far from the hatch it is supposed to inject. In which case the location key method fills in. If there is a case presented that shows a different way to handle injects as optimal, TheCore will change, but for the time being, it remains.

EDIT:
A to apostrophe is correct for a US QWERTY keyboard.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
May 20 2014 15:42 GMT
#6630
On May 21 2014 00:01 JaKaTaK wrote:
One of the founding principles of TheCore is to optimize for optimal play. We have made some exceptions to this in the Random layout because we wanted to provide an option for people looking for a version of TheCore that is "easier to learn". This leaves the Z T and P layouts to really get deep in the optimization. It's important to remember that what we are building is the "stock" version of TheCore, and players are expected to make their own personalization where necessary.

That being said. Rapid Fire inject is currently the fastest most consistent inject method and in optimal play it is used by default. The one exception is when a queen is too far from the hatch it is supposed to inject. In which case the location key method fills in. If there is a case presented that shows a different way to handle injects as optimal, TheCore will change, but for the time being, it remains.

Ok

On May 21 2014 00:01 JaKaTaK wrote:
EDIT:
A to apostrophe is correct for a US QWERTY keyboard.

Ok, I changed my keyboard layout from to US QWERTY in Windows to check the hotkeys ingame. But apparanetly this still mixes up some keys compared to a real US QWERTY keyboard. So nevermind.
McMatus
Profile Joined February 2013
Austria17 Posts
May 20 2014 18:46 GMT
#6631
Wasnt checking this thread for a few days so have a question.
Is the RRM layout completle finished now?
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 20 2014 19:36 GMT
#6632
nothing is completely finished. Zerg and Random are good for HotS multiplayer for now. There were some errors when I ran the script so I have to find the time to check into them.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
brook8128
Profile Joined August 2013
Korea (South)66 Posts
May 20 2014 23:32 GMT
#6633
Thank you. ZRM2.0 is better than RRM2.0 to me. I want to watch ZRM2.0 spreadsheets. How to watch?
OvO
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
May 21 2014 00:40 GMT
#6634
Just follow this link.
brook8128
Profile Joined August 2013
Korea (South)66 Posts
May 21 2014 01:18 GMT
#6635
Thank you, YoTcA.
I play random with ZRM2.0. Can you suggest CG USE? Now I use I key for Command and O key for Rax/Fact/Port.
OvO
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
May 21 2014 01:39 GMT
#6636
Brook,

Might I ask you why you prefer zrm to rrm for random? Your experience and insights may enable us to understand whats awesome about current zrm i'm curious to learn what you think.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-21 08:29:58
May 21 2014 01:46 GMT
#6637
There is a list on the 'Z. Key-use Overview' spreadsheet within 'TheCore Master Spreadsheet' with some suggestions for Zerg. And as there are no suggestions for Terran and Protoss so far, if you feel comfortabel with your CGs, use them.
But I need to warn you, that the ZRM layout is still in early development and that the Protoss and Terran layout on ZRM 2.0 are not optimized at all at the moment.
Also, even with some optimisations incoming for Terran and Protoss on ZRM 2.0, it will always focus on an optimal layout for Zerg on the cost of the other two races.
brook8128
Profile Joined August 2013
Korea (South)66 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-21 02:33:39
May 21 2014 02:32 GMT
#6638
Ninjury_J,
I can't use rapid fire inject. So I use cam inject. RRM is uncomfortable for cam inject. Shift j;l;h;9; is so hard. But ZRM is comfortable. Shift o-i-l-k- is so easy. I think Terran and Protoss are similar to me in ZRM and RRM. But It is just my case. I don't know other people think about this.
OvO
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 21 2014 02:40 GMT
#6639
@brook
why not change inject to make it more comfortable?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
brook8128
Profile Joined August 2013
Korea (South)66 Posts
May 21 2014 02:49 GMT
#6640
I changed to OL90 and JHMN but not enough. Do you have more comfortable inject?
OvO
Prev 1 330 331 332 333 334 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko60
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6967
actioN 531
BeSt 526
Leta 451
Jaedong 426
FanTaSy 402
Bisu 285
Larva 232
EffOrt 193
Zeus 124
[ Show more ]
sorry 116
Dewaltoss 111
Mong 107
Barracks 71
ToSsGirL 64
Killer 58
scan(afreeca) 58
Free 50
Shinee 39
Aegong 36
sSak 34
soO 31
Bale 30
Horang2 29
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 17
HiyA 15
Sexy 11
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe188
Counter-Strike
byalli883
Other Games
summit1g9221
olofmeister977
singsing813
Pyrionflax237
crisheroes232
KnowMe114
dupreeh47
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
Afreeca ASL 1295
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 25
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1078
• Stunt389
Other Games
• WagamamaTV178
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2m
Rush vs Light
StarCastTV_EN21
WardiTV Weekly
1h 2m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 2m
Replay Cast
13h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 1h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
OSC
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.