• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:34
CEST 03:34
KST 10:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8874 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 253

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 251 252 253 254 255 432 Next
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 08 2013 19:33 GMT
#5041
And welcome to TheCore 0.7.2! :D 1.0 is coming. Very reliant on getting media done:

Videos w/ text in spoiler
Visualizer
Visual Aides
Auto-Updating Spreadsheet

I'm down to go to 1.0 without a visual aide update, but it would be nice.

Let me know how you like the new OP, everything is always subject to change with the addition of new ideas

Patch note video incoming
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
turboPasqual
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany21 Posts
July 08 2013 20:42 GMT
#5042
Regarding mouse buttons and modifiers:
I personally like drag scroll on ctrl+back mouse button. I implement the scrolling in my spread creep cycle. With this you don't have to move your mouse to the side of the screen and come back in order to move your screen/camera to the new position. And you are holding ctrl already anyway.
Additionally I started using quick ping on shift + back mouse button. It helps a lot in team games to have your ping reachable.
teuthida
Profile Joined March 2013
United States104 Posts
July 08 2013 20:44 GMT
#5043
Good points with the mod+mouse ideas. I use MM button to drag scroll now, but I will have to play with some modifiers for that and the side buttons. I like the idea of quick ping on one of them as I play 2s a lot.
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
July 08 2013 21:06 GMT
#5044
On July 09 2013 05:44 teuthida wrote:
Good points with the mod+mouse ideas. I use MM button to drag scroll now, but I will have to play with some modifiers for that and the side buttons. I like the idea of quick ping on one of them as I play 2s a lot.

Yeah, I use Ctrl+Alt+Left Click for Quick Ping but that's it. It's harmless, and like you said it's helpful for teammates. I normally have no reason to be pressing Ctrl+Alt for anything anyway, so it's the only binding that fit for either Left or right Click in combination with the modifiers.
SpoogeCoffer
Profile Joined September 2012
New Zealand51 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-08 22:42:52
July 08 2013 22:28 GMT
#5045
Middle mouse is a terribly slow key to press and I know plenty of people who use it for scrolling short distances anyway (a mechanic I think has some value but I've personally rebound this to a thumb button anyway). Please jak don't use the middle mouse for anything, I feel as though it takes too much from mouse speed, accuracy and click rate - and in a game where all three of these things are vital I think using this key would have far too high a cost. The thumb buttons were bad enough for these things and we've now done away with them, the middle button is infinitely worse.

Edit: I now see people talking about quick ping on a modifier + thumb button and this is a change that I can agree with as pinging is not an essential mechanic and it seems useful. However I would suggest putting it, or at least an alternate for it on mod + middle mouse if you decide to do this so that we don't have to go back to having mouse / no mouse versions and cut down on your overhead. Took me like ten minutes to type this as I'm finally learning dvorak.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 08 2013 22:34 GMT
#5046
I really like the idea for ping in team games. Also, I don't think the middle mouse button is very efficient, but I'm open about the idea if a convincing argument comes forward.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Thunderflesh
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States382 Posts
July 08 2013 23:02 GMT
#5047
The new OP looks great!
You'll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 08 2013 23:28 GMT
#5048
Thanks any suggestions for improvements?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Czarnodziej
Profile Joined January 2011
Poland624 Posts
July 08 2013 23:45 GMT
#5049
Hot damn, new OP looks super sexy!
SixtusTheFifth
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
New Zealand170 Posts
July 09 2013 12:30 GMT
#5050
On July 09 2013 03:08 JaKaTaK wrote:
Okay, so running into a bit of an annoyance. If anyone can figure this out it would be of tremendous help:

WTF do these hotkeys do?:

BattleRage/Khraxus
Charge/Khraxus


They are campaign keys from Subjection. I should put them in a spreadsheet somewhere shouldn't I.

Any other funny ones are probably from Subjection. I can't put in MP arcade games since they get updated too often so I've focused on final version single player games.


Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
July 09 2013 17:27 GMT
#5051
On July 09 2013 07:34 JaKaTaK wrote:
I really like the idea for ping in team games. Also, I don't think the middle mouse button is very efficient, but I'm open about the idea if a convincing argument comes forward.


This depends a lot on the mouse and how friendly the wheel is for clicks. At best, I think it could be useful for infrequent things with no repetition. I've never seen a wheel that clicks as well as mouse buttons.

In my experience, clicks with the wheel range from barely acceptable to painful. I used it for drag scroll with my Logitech G500 and started developing pain in my hand. I switched drag scroll to a thumb button on the mouse and the pain went away. I currently avoid using the mouse wheel for clicks. To be fair, the G500's wheel is one of the worst I've seen for clicking.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
Bulgogi
Profile Joined March 2010
United States60 Posts
July 09 2013 18:00 GMT
#5052
One thing I changed in my core that other people might like is that I sacrificed control group 8 in ZRM in favor of a closer cancel button. I don't use more than 3 control groups for units at any given time, so it doesn't bother me to have one less control group. Even though it might make the core look less clean, it was a welcome change for me.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 09 2013 20:00 GMT
#5053
I feel like cancel is really close already. Not worth that 8th CG IMO, I use it all the time.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
astazha
Profile Joined June 2013
United States29 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 01:30:05
July 10 2013 01:24 GMT
#5054
On July 10 2013 03:00 Bulgogi wrote:
One thing I changed in my core that other people might like is that I sacrificed control group 8 in ZRM in favor of a closer cancel button. I don't use more than 3 control groups for units at any given time, so it doesn't bother me to have one less control group. Even though it might make the core look less clean, it was a welcome change for me.


ZRM has "." available, which is what I'm using for cancel. No way I'm giving up a control group (I actually wish we had more than 10 now that I can reach them), but I'm not wild about "]" for cancel either. Another possibility is spacebar? That would be easy enough to pinky-slap. You could also use a mouse side button - it's unnecessary to have both tab forward and back IMO. Or a Ctrl-key that isn't a control group, base cam, or free camera, like Ctrl-U perhaps. [EDIT: not Ctrl-U, that would mess up standard creep spread. Maybe Ctrl-M?] Or a right-click modifier. Or the middle mouse button if you aren't using drag scroll. There are many possibilities that don't sacrifice a control group.

............................................................................................................................................

I'm slowly working though the units with my I=rapidfire and creep spread arrangement. Conveniently "I" is also Infested Terran, which is good for spamming them. I'm debating switching Hatchery and Spine Crawler basic morphs so that a group of drones can spam spines more easily. O, O, [Shift+I] spam seems to fill up the queue quickly if the mouse isn't moved fast enough. I think abduct will need to be moved to "/" to prevent undesired rapid-fire.

Had a game where I accidentally started Pneumatic Carapace (on J) a couple of times, but noticed and cancelled right away. Didn't leave me feeling like there was anything wrong with the key setup, just that I need to pay more attention to larva before trying to morph.
All hail the Overgoat!
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 10 2013 01:32 GMT
#5055
I played some zerg today and also upgraded overlord speed on accident and canceled it right away a couple of times. Not really a big deal IMO, I don't play too much zerg, so It may take a bit to get used to.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
ArakisX
Profile Joined June 2013
2 Posts
July 10 2013 06:59 GMT
#5056
Hey JaKaTaK,
i'm voting for a better changelog and version number on skydrive

- For each version, a short text, what was changed (it must not be very detailed).
For example, what was changed on 8th june?

On Skydrive, there's no version number anymore. A version number in the name would be very helpfull. So, in the moment, every time i need to check this thread, and need it to rename manually, for better switching in the starcraft app.

Greetings,
Sebastian
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
July 10 2013 07:40 GMT
#5057
On July 10 2013 10:32 JaKaTaK wrote:
I played some zerg today and also upgraded overlord speed on accident and canceled it right away a couple of times. Not really a big deal IMO, I don't play too much zerg, so It may take a bit to get used to.

Hey JaK, I made a post a while back on why I think "I" specifically might cause some problems on the Hatchery.
On June 29 2013 16:18 Beedebdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2013 12:22 astazha wrote:
I wouldn't want non-spammable key set ups. It's important to me that rolling my fingers across P-O-I makes an overlord, and I definitely don't pause to see if larva exist mid-stream, though I do notice if it didn't work and I'm waiting on larva. Making that start research isn't a change that I would personally want.

It's not that I spam, per se, but that I want the muscle memory of POI to always mean "make an overlord if possible." It should either work or fail, not sometimes produce undesired results, in my opinion.
I did the excact same thing back when I played Zerg, though I never did it for any combat units, like P-O-J for Zerglings. I'd reckon I had spent Larvae pretty fast if I did those combos for every unit. But I didn't which I guess is because Overlords and Drones don't need to be egg-hotkeyed, and that would take time, which is precious in a micro battle. Also, Overlords (and Drones, when you're just replacing losses from morphing buildings) are the only unit(s) you ideally want to start one or two of simultaneously, while the Zergling might be more like P-O-J-J-J-J.. What are your thoughts on this?
In short, I think that being able to go P-O-I by muscle memory will, when looking at a whole game, be faster than having an upgrade you'll reseach once on a better key.
We generally want to create some overlords, in addition to other units, lest we supply block ourselves. To be able to egg-hotkey, we'll have to reselect our larva multiple times. We can't just go P-O-I-J-J-J-J-J.. We need to go P-O-I-P-O-J-J-J (or the other way around), if not, we get overlords and whatnot in our zergling control group, so it's good to be able to press P-O-I without needing to check for larvae. P-O-I is done a lot during a match (we need Overlords, right?), thus I think it's important that we're able to do it by muscle memory.


On July 09 2013 00:55 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 08 2013 17:00 Beedebdoo wrote:
I'm not sure what I should write above these questions, so I'll just write this.
  1. Google's spreadsheet supports comments in the individual cell. The cell gets a little mark, and when you mouse over it, you can read the comment. Would it be possible to comment on cells like Army(Terran) and Ranged(Protoss) under suggested CGs to explain what excactly is meant? (What units goes to this CG?)

  2. As to the question above: What excactly goes into the Army CG for Terran? As I understand it, it's everything except Harass, Ghosts, Tanks, Widow Mines, and Vikings.

  3. It might just be me, but I recall that you (JaK) have stated that the CGs are sorted from fastest to press, to slowest to press. -(2) for medium layouts has 3rd place, but is rated as the 7th easiest to press CG on the Archives. Why is that?

  4. Why is Select Builder banished to the far reaches of the nether? Isn't it faster than box selecting? U is free for P, R, and TRM. For Zerg layouts, I'm not as keen, but N and . are free.
Concerning #3 The order in game is based on the suggested CGs, the order in the doc is based on keyscore

I forgot to ask, what do you mean by this? The way I understand it, you're saying that Widow Mines comes before Army. The only way that would make sense, would be if -(2), in addition to Widow Mines, is used for worker scouts early game, but I might still get a harass cg before I get stuff like tanks. Could the elaborate?
astazha
Profile Joined June 2013
United States29 Posts
July 10 2013 11:11 GMT
#5058
Agreed, Beedebdoo. I'm using H, J, K and / for upgrades & lair/hive. H for burrow, which matches with burrow itself. J is speed and K is drops. An accidental P-O-J might happen but it's the cheaper of the two and faster overlords would be a more useful accidental upgrade than drops. Since I'm always looking at the eggs and larva after making zerglings to see if I need to de-select larva before adding to the control group, its not too hard to notice. I suppose I could just see a dot in one of my hatches and mistake it for a queen building somewhere.

If you do want to go for speed and drops it's plenty fast to hit P-J-K, though I tend to actually use a camera to select hatcheries for upgrades so I can control where they're building and not accidentally block my lair from upgrading to hive or something.


............

Trying to use "I" for spine crawlers to spam them doesn't work, because the sequence would need to be O-I-I over and over, not just repeating I. No big, shift-spamming them works well enough. I briefly considered swapping O & I for basic & advanced, but I don't think it's worth messing with for a small improvement in spine crawler spam.
All hail the Overgoat!
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 13:37:56
July 10 2013 13:37 GMT
#5059
Personally, I think Queens should stay on J. It's to only free homerow key, if I is banned, and queens can, unlike upgrades, be built indefinitely (You can morph additional Lairs and Hives, but that will be of no gain to you, unless your current Lair/Hive is either vulnerable or has been sniped). The setup I would go for would either be:

Rebind Evolve Pneumatized Glands from I to K.
Rebind Evolve Ventral Sacs from K to 8 or M.

or

Rebind Evolve Pneumatized Glands from I to 8 or M.

The top one would make sense because the cheaper and faster upgrade gets the better key.
The bottom one is pretty cool too, because roaches can be build pre-Lair, but Ventral Sacs can't, which minimizes the window where possible mispresses can happen. For consistency's sake, I'd pick the top one.
Snusmumriken
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden1717 Posts
July 10 2013 15:54 GMT
#5060
still using the good ol 0.33 core (modded a bit). Works just fine :D
Amove for Aiur
Prev 1 251 252 253 254 255 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 53
NaDa 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm247
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9362
JimRising 684
ViBE146
ArmadaUGS97
Mew2King94
Trikslyr29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1265
BasetradeTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 26m
INu's Battles
10h 26m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 26m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 26m
Replay Cast
21h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.