• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:37
CEST 17:37
KST 00:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10169 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 223

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 221 222 223 224 225 432 Next
Vanngar
Profile Joined May 2013
United States30 Posts
May 15 2013 13:37 GMT
#4441
I recommend Colemak over Dvorak. Dvorak is supposed to emphasize alternating hands to optimize speed, however it's been shown that this is slower than emphasizing adjacent keystroke combos on one hand.

Before I tried switching to Colemak, I spent weeks trying to find the best keyboard layout, but the fact is that all of the "evolved" layouts you find are flawed because they don't take alternate digraphs into account. Alternate digraphs are super important because they are what allows the fastest typist in the world to type over 200wpm on QWERTY despite QWERTY being a terrible terrible layout

So I'm waiting for more advanced evolved layouts before I ever bother to use one.

That or I'm going to make my own... it's one of the programming projects I'm considering.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
May 15 2013 15:15 GMT
#4442
On May 15 2013 10:16 JDub wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2013 10:13 fr4nk1sh wrote:
On May 12 2013 00:51 Ninjury_J wrote:
@ fr4nk1sh,

Here is an example: take any key X. Assign the following functions to X:

X: select control group Y

Ctrl X: add to control group Y

Shift + Ctrl X: create control group Y

Alt X: create camera Z

Shift X: recall camera Z

Now you have a control group and a camera bound to one key, namely X.

(Note by XYZ I don't mean particular keys on the keyboard, rather I mean to show a general formula that can apply to any key/control group/camera.)

Does this help?



Sorry, but no..

Now im not using this "The core" hotkey setup, how would i go by if i wanted to setup control group and camera on same key, etc base camera 1 and queen on same key if possible?

If you are asking if you can have the same key go to a camera location and select a control group with no modifiers (e.g. pressing "O" would select your queen and go to camera location 1), then no, that is not possible. TheCore puts cameras and control groups on the same key just as Ninjury explained.


Let me get this straight. Are you saying that, for example, Shift + X recalls a camera location, and X recalls a control group, that pressing Shift + X recalls the camera location and control group at the same time ? I can see this working if X is pressed slightly before Shift, but does it work also with Shift held down slightly before pressing X ?
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
May 15 2013 15:31 GMT
#4443
@Kaitlin,

No, that's not how it works. X recalls a cg. Shift x recalls a camera. Ctrl x adds to cg. Ctrl shift x creates cg. Alt x creates camera. All these functions are independent.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
May 15 2013 17:21 GMT
#4444
On May 14 2013 18:56 EntropyFails wrote:
I'd love to hear more about the sound options that were posted in the optimization videos. I personally really like hearing the Colo leave the robo bay.


I tried looking in the OP for the "optimization videos" to no avail. Could somebody link for me please ? I'm curious about these sound options spoken of.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-15 17:40:47
May 15 2013 17:35 GMT
#4445
@ Kaitlin,

Here you go:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=412716

What lead you to believe it was in the OP? It isn't part of TheCore so I'm not sure why you would have thought it was. Was some post unclear or something?
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
May 15 2013 18:36 GMT
#4446
On May 16 2013 02:35 Ninjury_J wrote:
@ Kaitlin,

Here you go:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=412716

What lead you to believe it was in the OP? It isn't part of TheCore so I'm not sure why you would have thought it was. Was some post unclear or something?


Basically the part I quoted in that post. I thought it was some part of the Core
CursedFeanor
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada539 Posts
May 15 2013 19:27 GMT
#4447
To continue on the sidetrack of keyboard layouts, I've been looking around today and it does feel like Colemak is kind of the reference nowadays. An interesting alternative I've found which uses the same concepts as the Core (assigning values on keys depending how hard they're to reach) : http://www.workmanlayout.com/blog/

I haven't used it yet, since I'm deciding which configuration I want to invest time to learn... Anyway I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject too!
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-15 20:08:59
May 15 2013 20:07 GMT
#4448
nm, found issue in FAQ
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
Hancho
Profile Joined July 2012
Germany89 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-15 20:24:00
May 15 2013 20:23 GMT
#4449
the most evolved hardware keyboard layout i saw is this:
http://www.maltron.com/keyboard-info/dual-hand-fully-ergonomic-3d-keyboards.html
(I have not tested it)
But i am not sure if the Maltron letter layout is the best.

I thought if it were cool to use one of the single hand keyboards for playing
http://www.maltron.com/keyboard-info/single-hand-keyboards.html
cause i am lazy to move my mousehand for typing^^

Has someone unsed one of the hardware keyboard or the Maltron layout?

One intressting keyboard layout i found was this:
http://neo-layout.org/
its a germans layout and use 6 layers (access through modifier keys and modifier keys combinations)
I realy like the idea of the third layer which is called the programming layer.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
May 15 2013 21:27 GMT
#4450
Hmm I checked out workman. I don't think it's such a great increase over colemak, and I prefer to use a layout that at least has a chance of being on other keyboards. I'm not convicted that workman or qmgb* (not sure the exact name) is going to more optimal than colemak such that it gives me a clinically significant change in speed or comfort.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
thayneq
Profile Joined March 2013
96 Posts
May 15 2013 23:30 GMT
#4451
Also check out Norman. I'm really liking it so far (been using it a few months).

http://normanlayout.info/
Epishade
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2267 Posts
May 16 2013 00:08 GMT
#4452
Just reinstalled SC2 and kinda wish to start playing again. I know I had some problems before with my control groups so I thought I'd get used to this. From the videos it looks really good and I'm glad Jak and his team decided to invest their time in making such an efficient hotkey layout.

I do have a question though and I think I already know the answer to this but I just want to be reassured. I have yet to buy HOTS. If I get used to playing with TheCore on WOL, how difficult is it to switch to HOTS when I upgrade? Are there any major switches? Like now that there is a planetary nexus, will the build probe key need to be changed? Any other changes to unit build hotkeys? I just don't really want to get used to building something with one hotkey and then having it switched in the expansion. If it matters, I'd use the PRM hotkey setup on US QWERTY keyboard layout.
Pinhead Larry in the streets, Dirty Dan in the sheets.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-16 00:51:11
May 16 2013 00:27 GMT
#4453
TheCore is made to be used with Hots and Wol. To my knowledge, nothing changes from Wol to hots other than the new hots stuff

Edit: there have been lots of changes since (I presume) you last played. TheCore 0.7 is the most up to date, you can find it in the Github. Some very minor changes are likely to come soon as well, but nothing huge to my knowledge.

@Thayneq,

I'll offer the same argument as I did before: I see that this is better than colemak and others, but I don't see that the gain is clinically significant. Any thoughts here?
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
SixtusTheFifth
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
New Zealand170 Posts
May 16 2013 04:23 GMT
#4454
On May 16 2013 09:08 Epishade wrote:
I do have a question though and I think I already know the answer to this but I just want to be reassured. I have yet to buy HOTS. If I get used to playing with TheCore on WOL, how difficult is it to switch to HOTS when I upgrade? Are there any major switches? Like now that there is a planetary nexus, will the build probe key need to be changed? Any other changes to unit build hotkeys? I just don't really want to get used to building something with one hotkey and then having it switched in the expansion. If it matters, I'd use the PRM hotkey setup on US QWERTY keyboard layout.


Playing on WoL and getting used to the keys will be fine. The Planetary Nexus issue is already accounted for since the Planetary Fortress has the same issue with building workers and an attack command.

The keys don't switch between versions, gaps are made in the WoL layout for HotS units to fill when you change. For instance the Stargate in WoL for your layout will have the Pheonix on 'J' and the Void Ray on '/'. The available 'I' key is reserved for the Oracle in the expansion.
thayneq
Profile Joined March 2013
96 Posts
May 16 2013 05:15 GMT
#4455
@Ninjury: The benefit comes from switching away from QWERTY. All the other layouts are very similar in performance to each other that you're just splitting hairs. I'd say QWERTY << DVORAK < (Colemak = Workman = Norman). If that makes sense...
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
May 16 2013 06:41 GMT
#4456
Yeah it does thanks.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
BjoernK
Profile Joined April 2012
194 Posts
May 16 2013 06:50 GMT
#4457
Is it possible to shift-holdposition zerglings? When trying to do so in ZRM 0.7 the following happens:
1.) Right-Click to enemy mineral line with a number of zerglings.
2.) shift+k (k is hold-position) does not prompt them to holdposition when arriving but it prompts to jump to a set camera position. So the zerglings might run to enemy units instead of killing workers.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-16 15:10:31
May 16 2013 06:55 GMT
#4458
K should be stop. Hold position is 8. In addition shift k should recall a base cam, not set it.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
May 16 2013 19:19 GMT
#4459
On May 16 2013 15:55 Ninjury_J wrote:
K should be stop. Hold position is 8. In addition shift k should recall a base cam, not set it.


On the topic of K and H, have you thought about 8 for hold position in RRM while making K an ability?
thayneq
Profile Joined March 2013
96 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-16 19:48:01
May 16 2013 19:46 GMT
#4460
On May 17 2013 04:19 fengshaun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 16 2013 15:55 Ninjury_J wrote:
K should be stop. Hold position is 8. In addition shift k should recall a base cam, not set it.


On the topic of K and H, have you thought about 8 for hold position in RRM while making K an ability?


The problem with using K as an ability is that you often shift-queue abilities, but you can't on K because Shift-K recalls a base camera. So then you'd go down the path of finding only abilities that you wouldn't ever shift queue. And for random, you're now talking all three races...

Do you have a proposal for a new key layout?
Prev 1 221 222 223 224 225 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
Codebar 33
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1136
Mini 933
Soma 605
actioN 540
Rush 383
ggaemo 362
Light 362
Larva 287
Stork 258
Horang2 252
[ Show more ]
BeSt 248
Snow 203
hero 198
Barracks 134
Killer 112
firebathero 105
Shine 103
Dewaltoss 99
Aegong 99
Sea.KH 76
Zeus 74
Sexy 41
Shinee 39
Sharp 36
JYJ 36
soO 31
ToSsGirL 29
sorry 24
Liquid`Ret 24
Bale 20
zelot 18
Rock 17
Trap 17
Sacsri 13
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7782
qojqva1907
Dendi797
420jenkins167
Counter-Strike
fl0m967
Fnx 762
x6flipin485
edward47
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5126
Other Games
gofns7202
singsing1548
B2W.Neo937
Khaldor676
byalli555
Lowko366
Mlord287
Liquid`VortiX199
DeMusliM194
ArmadaUGS146
KnowMe134
Trikslyr39
BRAT_OK 8
Railgan5
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV219
WardiTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH178
• StrangeGG 60
• mYiSmile121
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• FirePhoenix8
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV423
League of Legends
• Nemesis2451
• Jankos1742
• TFBlade755
Other Games
• Shiphtur158
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 23m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 23m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.