• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:28
CEST 02:28
KST 09:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9505 users

[G] TheCore Lite - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 44

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 51 Next
Gubert
Profile Joined September 2017
15 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-19 18:26:01
September 19 2017 12:05 GMT
#861
Ok my english sucks but i will try my best to explain my thoughts about ALT+Q ( adding to W group and it could be a cam hotkey) and SHIFT+Q ( same as Q but it could be a jump to location hotkey). I speak as a new terran player.

So we have alt+keyname( same for group keys) for making cam hotkeys and shift+keyname( same for group keys) for jumping to location hotkeys. But while alt+w or s make a location cam and shift+w or s make you jump to location, alt+q and shift+q are different. Is it good?No. Is it bad? No, BUT there should be a reason to have this difference, so lets find the one.

So alt+q combination is for adding and steal units to group 6(w group - group for your main and upgrade buildings). Does it make a difference for player?No, you can also do the same thing with control+w or almost the same thing with control+alt+w. LIke yoou will do it for q group or a group: control+q or control+a etc.

Now about shift+q combination, if shift+w or shift+a make you jump to location w or a, shift+q do nothing, you just choose you control group q because you pressed q key.And again is it good?No. Is it bad? No,BUT there should be a reason to have this difference, so lets find the one. And now we have one in guide:TheCore Lite inject . Yes its good but its only for zerg players and also zerg players could do injects other ways. Also in guide i see second reason to have this difference: army production + rally point (optional warp-in pylon). But there i disagree. Why? Because there is no difference for a player,he can( if keys are changed for alt+q for cam and shift+q for jump to location):

Q: select production facilities
Shift+Q: jump to rally point (declared with Alt+Q)
inspect rallied army
optional redeclaration of the rally point (RightClick, in case of new integrated facility)
browse subgroup and launch production
select rallied army and add to control groups

and its even better for player because his army production buildings on q and his rally point on shift+q so q for army production and army management.

Also i can suggest to change groups to contrl1 - 1 group|contrl2 - 2 group|contrl3- 3 group and contrl` - 10(0) group. Not a big difference but looks better.

I would like to see a response from Bobo and users. And thanks again for thecore light
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-19 19:02:25
September 19 2017 18:58 GMT
#862
Hi Gubert ! Welcome to Starcraft 2! Happy to know that this piece of work is used by somebody :D Let's try to answer the questions

Alt+Tab:
It's a Windows standard keybinding to go back to desktop. Not sure whether you can change it in Windows, or whether you are willing to turn of the Alt+Tab bindkeys from SC2 settings. If you cannot/don't want to use it, use one of the alternates; overtime I found that I was using mainly Alt+CapsLock (always the same key)

Alt+Q and Shift+Q:
You found the reason! The thinking behind that is that Shift+Q+W+Space is helpful for zergs, it can also be used for Terran and Protoss for this rally point story. When I played Protoss, or training TheStairCase with Terran, I realized that I was not going to rally point spontaneously and this mechanism helped my to look at rally point while filling the production queue… Pressing Shift+Q+W if a kind of simultaneous 3 key stroke that makes everything in 1 single action with a comfortable finger position using rest keys, where a Q+Shift+Q is more complex to execute

From a pure design perspective, there are 10 groups and 8 cams, so they cannot match Let's say that you use 8 group keys, why would you exclude "Grave" and "1"? Camera numbers are pointless, they are only identifiers as there is no visual helper, and they do not have to match with control groups.

3 cams (1/2/3) have alternates for control cams, for those who would like to test (Control key location is a big issue for this TheCore feature). I focus my ergonomics effort on this aspect those days. I need to find a way to swap Control and Alt keys, but it comes with some other inconsistencies (yesterday I realized that a foot switch pedal to press Control or Shift could be really helpful)

One problem with the current approach (will to get uniform bindkeys and habbits over races) is that W will be used for 1st base in Zerg while A will be used for Terran and Protoss: this introduces a small shift in habbits (at the same time, considering that Z tends to have +1 base compared to T and P)

Control group numbering:
For control groups there is a visual helper in the game UI. I arbitrarily chose to separate the 8 groups in 2 separated by the Q and W macros keys. The first 4 groups are fitting with the groups that are on the number row over Q and W, the 4 last are below. Sure key 1 does not match to group 1, but still there is a logic behind

Most useful groups are Q, W, A and S. If I wanted to rework this aspect I would still separated with Q and W in the middle, but I would probably swap ASZX with Grave123 position so that:
– A and S are clearly separated from Q and W (by less used Z and X)
– 2 and 3 are clearly separated from Q and W (by less used Grave and 1)

As you mentioned it is a minor aesthetic aspect, I'm not looking at those group button

Hackability:
You can start from standard TheCoreLite and adjust things with respect to your preference. So far you pointed out only the [Hotkeys] section. It's easy to maintain your own copy of TheCoreLite just erasing the standard [Hotkeys] section and copying yours. It is also possible to keep synced with git repository with your own fork and branch, if you know how to do it.

I personally patch my local copy with some regular expression substitution, as I need to convert CapsLock to some other key to get it repeatable under archlinux+wine, and some other minor tricks under test or to be tested (I still have big progress to achieve and do not play that much)

Other ressources that could interest you:

You can have a look at TheStairCase thread. There are also useful ressources on Youtube (Tutorial Central or JaKaTaK). It is a macro heavy oriented play style:
– starting from mineral only base view allowed
– going to micro oriented steps when you have to look the least possible to your base
– introducing some gaz usage mainly for upgrades (reactor/techlab/planetary fortress for terran)
– then for 1-2 additional units beside mineral only

It's a good experience to start up, to see that you can defeat Elite AI just with brute force in few days only, that you can let your army unwatched in some circumstances, you can experiment the benefits of basic micro, see the added value of army upgrades, get an impression about what is viable – and get used to new bindkeys focusing on macro intensive repetitive task !

There are some valuable streamers on Twitch, I follow Neuro (zerg) on a regular base (discovered him from his Youtube channel). Some guys are providing really good tips: PiG (random) also have some really excellent videos on Youtube
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-19 19:45:29
September 19 2017 19:39 GMT
#863
@MingoDynasty:

SC2 guys working around TheCore project seem to have been going to some other hobbies. When I started updating with TheCoreLite, only JaKaTaK, Beedebdoo and someone taking care of the python script in TheCore git repository were a bit active. At the moment the Skype discussion group is really quiet.

– Noone is taking care of maintaining TheCore visualizer as far as I know. The version you found with TheCore Lite is not having LoTV units; for that purpose you can use LoTV unit tester "arcade" mode
– JaK's skydrive is not updated at each TheCoreLite release: I found the way to handled releases directly from github's infrastructure

Edit: rereading your post, you're maybe suggesting that the data from the original article are outdated, and I should start another thread that would have current infrastructure description. Is it what you are thinking about?

About TheCorevisualizer:
Looking into github thecorevisualizer forks, I found this one
https://github.com/Igonato/thecorevisualizer
This fork seems to have gotten some updates lately and seem to point dynamically at JaKaTaK/TheCoreConverter project to be automatically updated. Unfortunately, this version does not support TheCoreLite and does not seem to be available from the web, it seems that one has to get the code, run some http server on local machine and access from localhost.
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
MingoDynasty
Profile Joined May 2006
United States43 Posts
September 20 2017 21:00 GMT
#864
1. I was just thinking from a new user's perspective (where I was at last week). If I know nothing about TheCoreLite, but i want to start using it, where do I download it and how do I set it up? I had to scour the Google webs for your Github which contained recent releases. And then a bit more scouring to figure out what to do with all of those files.

2. I'll look into LoTV unit tester, thanks. Although I think I would prefer a web version like TheCoreVisualizer because then I can practice hotkeys without needing to launch SC2.

3. Creating a new thread would be a good idea to solve #1, if you can't coordinate with JaKaTaK to modify his post. Other idea would be to just make the Github repo the single source of truth and flesh out all documentation into the markdown readme.

4. I just looked into https://igonato.github.io/thecorevisualizer/visualizer/ and it seems like it is "mostly" up to date, but certain things are off like I think yours doesn't have "Q" key for camera hotkeys. And also build Cannon is on spacebar instead of "F". etc. things like that.
http://www.youtube.com/MingoDynasty
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-20 22:04:30
September 20 2017 22:04 GMT
#865
@MingoDynasty: thanks for your detailed feedback

It seems to be pretty hard to update old threads on TeamLiquid, there are kind of locked, and it is sort of tolerated to append new comments like we are doing (as far as I understood). The best thing would be to start a new thread with minimum set of updated infos and relevant links to github home. I will add that to my todo list

The current web visualizer you point at does not have LoTV units (disruptor, adept, ravager, lurker) and zerg speed key is not E: it indicates that hotkeys are related to latest content, probably last JaKaTaK release before I started adaptating it with LoTV. I could try to get in touch with igonato, and kindly ask whether it could be possible to update TheCoreLite content (ideally to use the live master branch automatically – hopefully it works in this way)
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
MrFatalistic
Profile Joined January 2011
United States26 Posts
October 03 2017 15:40 GMT
#866
I'm trying to use the latest from github (dehaka coop patch) I download the source and run the "TheCoreRemapper.py" and take the output from USQuerty (which seems to be timestamped as updated) and import it into my hotkeys.

Then when I try to run a coop game as the Dehaka coop commander, none of the build keys seem to work.

I really tried to look through the readme but not much of the install method is listed there.
MilExo
Profile Joined September 2011
South Africa139 Posts
October 03 2017 16:08 GMT
#867
I'm trying to use the latest from github (dehaka coop patch) I download the source and run the "TheCoreRemapper.py" and take the output from USQuerty (which seems to be timestamped as updated) and import it into my hotkeys.

Then when I try to run a coop game as the Dehaka coop commander, none of the build keys seem to work.

I really tried to look through the readme but not much of the install method is listed there.

There is no need run a script, you should be able to just download the file from here and place it in you hotkeys folder.
MrFatalistic
Profile Joined January 2011
United States26 Posts
October 03 2017 22:43 GMT
#868
On October 04 2017 01:08 MilExo wrote:
Show nested quote +
I'm trying to use the latest from github (dehaka coop patch) I download the source and run the "TheCoreRemapper.py" and take the output from USQuerty (which seems to be timestamped as updated) and import it into my hotkeys.

Then when I try to run a coop game as the Dehaka coop commander, none of the build keys seem to work.

I really tried to look through the readme but not much of the install method is listed there.

There is no need run a script, you should be able to just download the file from here and place it in you hotkeys folder.



wow I feel stupid now, thank you! I do have a question though, I've done that and I have close to 200 unbound keys. I run a test campaign game and I can't even click on things.

Think all my screwing around might have perma-screwed my hotkeys or something.
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-04 04:30:39
October 04 2017 04:29 GMT
#869
Coop is clean only on master branch at the moment. You should try and copy the file relevant to your keyboard layout from there:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite

The python script in the repository is used to perform some conflict/consistency checks before translating a common seed into different supported keyboard layouts
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
MrFatalistic
Profile Joined January 2011
United States26 Posts
October 04 2017 15:15 GMT
#870
I'm doing something very wrong. If I download the 2.2.5a release and use the file from that it's exactly what I expect (except of course coop Dehaka is all messed up, as one would expect) and there's only one key unbound (chat). If I download the file from the master branch (or even the version where dehaka was added a month ago) then I have over 200 unbound keys and all the keys in the preview seem to reflect standard default keys (S for larvae, etc).

I'm just coping "The Core Lite.SC2Hotkeys" from the relevant folder (USQwerty) - is that enough? What do you mean by "clean"?

I have 3 files in my hotkey folder right now, the 2.2.5a release (works great mostly), the commit from 18 days ago (that MilExo linked) and the version from the Dehaka hotkey add (about a month ago).
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-05 04:42:10
October 05 2017 04:40 GMT
#871
I used "clean" to mean "no unbounds"
Coop is clean only on master branch at the moment.


Copying "The Core Lite.SC2Hotkeys" from the relevant folder (USQwerty) in master branch should be enough. Obviously you are reporting some issue with 200 unbounds, even after trying the file from different commits (kind of regression test)

My best guess is that Coop changed again and broke at last patch being uncaught. I would expect that as long as you use latest master hotkey file in Multiplayer only, there is no unbound. Once you load Coop, some conflicts make SC2 revert some hotkeys to standard, and it could introduce 200 unbounds in kind of a chain reaction (even if it is a pretty high number). last patch content: it seems that Dehaka's drone has an entry now

I'm on vacation at the moment, I sorry that I would be able to look into that only from next Sunday and probably next week

Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
MrFatalistic
Profile Joined January 2011
United States26 Posts
October 05 2017 22:32 GMT
#872
thanks, I appreciate responding to me on vacation, it's very helpful to know I'm not completely screwing this thing up.
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
October 10 2017 20:07 GMT
#873
sorry internet went down at home during the vacation problem is not solved, but is still on my todolist
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
October 13 2017 18:06 GMT
#874
Internet back at home \o/ !!! TheCore Lite master was updated to support Dehaka's drone basic building

Unbound clean check:
– multiplayer
– coop
– testing

@MrFatalistic I cannot reproduce your massive unbound issue… could you please check again with latest files? Thanks
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
Gubert
Profile Joined September 2017
15 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-15 00:57:07
October 15 2017 00:55 GMT
#875
He is probably just can't copy text from the file...
Maybe I'm wrong but some people are just dumb.
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-15 06:24:31
October 15 2017 06:21 GMT
#876
Some guys have issues to get the file from GitHub in their web browser. I've just added a picture for that in the repository:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/raw/master/Images/getTheCoreLite.jpg

Basical steps:
– A: browse the target file on GitHub
– B: click raw to get GitHub output a raw txt file
– C: Save page

@MrFatalistic: another possibility is that you downloaded some outdated version from JaKaTaK's skydrive or so
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
October 15 2017 15:51 GMT
#877
some comment on a GitHub commit, with links to raw files
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-19 21:07:54
October 19 2017 20:54 GMT
#878
Currently testing further Forge/Evo/EngBay basic building on 4: I felt comfortable with it for the initial tries, now it is available on master branch

Some thoughts:
– as E becomes on of the central keys 4 is not that far away
– 4 is a precision key (not a RapidFire one) which allows a precision building placement to set quickly a wall (really useful as zerg, not sure about the other races)
– 4 is not a RapidFire key, you don't mess up with the repeat behavior of CapsLock (on my config, pressing CapsLock may the building built at the current pointer position)

TheCoreLite version 2.3 should come shortly after with the big patch planned by Blizzard in November
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
October 21 2017 08:43 GMT
#879
Some more changes under investigation:
– Use CapsLock to finally get an accessible Cancel key like TheCore: massive changes to workaround previous CapsLock usage (I already have a preliminary version)
– Worker: advanced building remapped to E, Return Cargo remapped to F, associated modification to advanced buildings keys

I will probably push a version 2.3 without this change to get a synced fallback solution if some users want to get last updates without this huge change. The goal would be to build on top on it to stabilize around an accessible Cancel key the way up to version 2.4

Any feedback is welcome
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-21 09:13:58
October 21 2017 09:10 GMT
#880
TheCore Lite v2.3.0 is out:
TheCore Lite v2.3.0 release notes

I start pushing updated seed with CapsLock=Cancel on master branch
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12764
Rain 1956
Artosis 768
White-Ra 204
ToSsGirL 45
Dota 2
monkeys_forever615
NeuroSwarm176
League of Legends
Doublelift4212
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1494
ArmadaUGS611
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor698
WinterStarcraft240
Other Games
summit1g8776
shahzam673
Day[9].tv603
JimRising 531
C9.Mang0275
ViBE137
Maynarde135
Trikslyr55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick785
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream109
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 130
• davetesta42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1097
• Day9tv603
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 32m
OSC
12h 32m
Stellar Fest
12h 32m
OSC
23h 32m
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.