• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:36
CEST 19:36
KST 02:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10740 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 364

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 362 363 364 365 366 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
FruitsPunchSamurai
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom87 Posts
November 01 2012 20:32 GMT
#7261
Hello, quick question on PvT.
Which maps in the current ladder pool are good for Templar openings and which are good for Colossi openings (assuming standard play)? I thought Entombed would have been good for Colossi but I find it hard to defend them from vikings due to the narrow space before the ramps.
Akamu
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States309 Posts
November 01 2012 20:47 GMT
#7262
Hey i've recently been playing around with protoss and am trying to get a feel for the race but i'm having some trouble vs the 10 min medivac timing of a T. I have lot's of experience with Terran and know how to stop it in theory but it always seems like they just have so much more stuff than me.

So i was wondering if anyone could give me like a benchmark of what supply i should have at X time of a 1gate expand? I'm not sure if i'm making to many probes or if i am just missing warpins. But having a solid supply number to shoot for at 10 min would help.

I hear your heart beat to the beat of the drums, what a shame that you came here with someone.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 21:40:04
November 01 2012 21:38 GMT
#7263
On November 02 2012 05:47 Akamu wrote:
Hey i've recently been playing around with protoss and am trying to get a feel for the race but i'm having some trouble vs the 10 min medivac timing of a T. I have lot's of experience with Terran and know how to stop it in theory but it always seems like they just have so much more stuff than me.

So i was wondering if anyone could give me like a benchmark of what supply i should have at X time of a 1gate expand? I'm not sure if i'm making to many probes or if i am just missing warpins. But having a solid supply number to shoot for at 10 min would help.

Depends so much on the build you're using. If you're going double upgrades with charge and blink into colossi, your army will be small and you'll be hiding behind forcefields. I find it hard to defend the medivac timing with that style.

If you tell us what build you're using and maybe post a replay, we'd be better able to help you improve your medivac timing defense.
Dominus143
Profile Joined October 2012
United States12 Posts
November 01 2012 22:23 GMT
#7264
I am in silver protoss player and have been trying to narrow each matchup down to one build that I feel comfortable with. SO far against zerg I do the 3 immortal/sentry push. This works very well and the only time I lose with it is weird things such as nydus or let zerglings in my base early on.

In PvT I have started doing a 1 gate fast expand. The version I do is called the Kcdc version. I get double forge and sit back teching to storm and get a zealot archon army on 3-4 bases. I have found that if I get past 10 minutes or so and defend drops well that I will win late game.

The matchup I am having problem with is pvp. What are your recommendations for a good standard opener that doesnt have any major weaknesses such as no robo against DT or a one base all-in.So far I cant find anything that seems standard in the matchup. Any help would be very much appreciated.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 01 2012 22:36 GMT
#7265
Dominus, you might get warned for asking for a general PvP build which is one of the FAQ's that mods have tried to move to the OP. That said, I don't think the OP really covers the general PvP builds beyond the very first steps, so I'll help you out.

Every PvP build has a hard counter, so you're asking the impossible when you request a standard opener that doesnt' have any major weaknesses. That said, your best bet for stable builds are probably:

(1) blink obs (fast twilight followed by robo)--often stays on 1-base until the game's over
(2) phoenix into expand into colossi--expand behind your opponent to be safe
(3) 2 gate expand (possibly with robo before nexus)--get 3 stalkers, then 2 sentries, then 2 more sentries after WG tech completes
Dominus143
Profile Joined October 2012
United States12 Posts
November 01 2012 22:43 GMT
#7266
On November 02 2012 07:36 kcdc wrote:
Dominus, you might get warned for asking for a general PvP build which is one of the FAQ's that mods have tried to move to the OP. That said, I don't think the OP really covers the general PvP builds beyond the very first steps, so I'll help you out.

Every PvP build has a hard counter, so you're asking the impossible when you request a standard opener that doesnt' have any major weaknesses. That said, your best bet for stable builds are probably:

(1) blink obs (fast twilight followed by robo)--often stays on 1-base until the game's over
(2) phoenix into expand into colossi--expand behind your opponent to be safe
(3) 2 gate expand (possibly with robo before nexus)--get 3 stalkers, then 2 sentries, then 2 more sentries after WG tech completes



Thanks I will look those up. In regards to possible mod action when I looked at the OP it was how to defend against build rather than more general beginner information as I am only in Silver. I did not realize that this as well would be looked down upon. I also figure that the information is somewhere in this thread already but Search did find anything that I wanted and I dont want to look though over 300 pages.

Thanks for your recommendations.
wichenks
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada153 Posts
November 01 2012 23:16 GMT
#7267
Lately (At my level, mid plat) in pvp 9 out of 10 protosses that i've played open up with a gate robo gate into 3 gate robo expand, usually pushing off two base with 5-6 immortals, a couple sentries, and zealot/stalker around the 10 minute mark, while taking a third.

Now i don't mind these openings, im not dying to them usually, but I feel like I have to do the same build and just have to same stuff in order to do survive. What's a build that counters this fairly well?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sometimes Artosis and I like to have Hot 6ix with each other - Tasteless
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 23:32:44
November 01 2012 23:28 GMT
#7268
On November 02 2012 08:16 wichenks wrote:
Lately (At my level, mid plat) in pvp 9 out of 10 protosses that i've played open up with a gate robo gate into 3 gate robo expand, usually pushing off two base with 5-6 immortals, a couple sentries, and zealot/stalker around the 10 minute mark, while taking a third.

Now i don't mind these openings, im not dying to them usually, but I feel like I have to do the same build and just have to same stuff in order to do survive. What's a build that counters this fairly well?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Forcefields and colossi.

His push doesn't have anything that breaks forcefields, so you can defend it with good control while pumping out colossi with range. The counter push with ranged colossi will kill him.

Pro tip: If you find yourself in a situation where you have colossus range and he doesn't, put your colossi in a separate control group and micro back and forth taking potshots at his army. If he chases after you, kite until he cathces up, and then engage in a favorable position, preferably with forcefields. If he doesn't have something to break forcefields, he loses 100%. If he has colossi without range, he takes damage and probably loses.
wichenks
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada153 Posts
November 01 2012 23:29 GMT
#7269
On November 02 2012 08:28 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2012 08:16 wichenks wrote:
Lately (At my level, mid plat) in pvp 9 out of 10 protosses that i've played open up with a gate robo gate into 3 gate robo expand, usually pushing off two base with 5-6 immortals, a couple sentries, and zealot/stalker around the 10 minute mark, while taking a third.

Now i don't mind these openings, im not dying to them usually, but I feel like I have to do the same build and just have to same stuff in order to do survive. What's a build that counters this fairly well?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Forcefields and colossi.


Thanks a lot Who knew three words would solve my problem! Much appreciated!
Sometimes Artosis and I like to have Hot 6ix with each other - Tasteless
lonecricket
Profile Joined June 2011
24 Posts
November 01 2012 23:33 GMT
#7270
I haven't played in awhile what are the standard openings
wichenks
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada153 Posts
November 01 2012 23:40 GMT
#7271
On November 02 2012 08:33 lonecricket wrote:
I haven't played in awhile what are the standard openings


Dude read five posts up! There's three good solid pvp openers there!
Sometimes Artosis and I like to have Hot 6ix with each other - Tasteless
Bwaaaa
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia969 Posts
November 02 2012 00:30 GMT
#7272
Are there any tips you guys can give me to improve my map awareness. I am constantly unaware where my opponents army is. I am usually caught off guard when my opponent comes out of nowhere and snipes my third(usually vs T) and last game I was forced into a losing base-trade because when I moved out he had his army sitting near my third.

Do I make more observers? But wouldn't that cripple my robo production?
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27414 Posts
November 02 2012 02:25 GMT
#7273
On November 02 2012 09:30 Bwaaaa wrote:
Are there any tips you guys can give me to improve my map awareness. I am constantly unaware where my opponents army is. I am usually caught off guard when my opponent comes out of nowhere and snipes my third(usually vs T) and last game I was forced into a losing base-trade because when I moved out he had his army sitting near my third.

Do I make more observers? But wouldn't that cripple my robo production?

Play without sound, overmake observers, put zealots/blink stalkers on the watchtowers and spread pylons around the map into likely drop routes and well in front of expansion entrances in case they try to stim up and snipe. I also like to go double robo even when not going for a lot of collosi because I can replace observers without cutting into to collosus production.

Also put up single cannons in potential spots where ghosts could nuke you, can make the difference between spotting and killing the thing, or losing 30 probes

All of those tend to help, I'm terrible at map awareness as well but have noticed a bit of an improvement by pushing myself like that.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
November 02 2012 06:13 GMT
#7274
On November 02 2012 09:30 Bwaaaa wrote:
Are there any tips you guys can give me to improve my map awareness. I am constantly unaware where my opponents army is. I am usually caught off guard when my opponent comes out of nowhere and snipes my third(usually vs T) and last game I was forced into a losing base-trade because when I moved out he had his army sitting near my third.

Do I make more observers? But wouldn't that cripple my robo production?


Map awareness and map control/vision are two different concepts.

Observers are the obvious solution: Place your army where he's most likely to attack, and observers in the second (and maybe third) most likely candidates. Religiously fight for and clear towers when able, and when all else fails, leave a zealot/probe on hold in place of an observer if theres a high risk you will be out of position and subsequently lose the game.

Other then that, keep in mind that the nature of bio is that they will generally have map control throughout the early and mid-game, giving them the ability to sit outside your natural/third and wait for you to make a mistake (assuming you're playing standard turtle, and they're smart).

And you should be making observers before you start your colossi production, and keeping them alive thereafter.
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
November 02 2012 06:57 GMT
#7275
You should have 3-5 observers per game, it makes a huge difference, especially late game when there's little groups running to your expos and cloaked ghosts everywhere. I like to make 2-3 in the beginning before colossus production, then when I get my second robo up, pump a few more.
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
pestilenz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Denmark379 Posts
November 02 2012 12:30 GMT
#7276
From what I understand the current trend vs mech is chargelots, colossi, storm and some immortals. This makes sense to me, and is what I always do when I play against a player who goes mech. If possible I try to switch into mass air at some point and it works fine.

The thing I was wondering about, is is anyone here has had any experience going mass blink stalker immortal, splitting you stalkers and blinking gradually on top of the tanks - it looked really viable when I saw it, and definitely a million times more challenging and fun than the "usual" style. How does is work for you?

Sry, but I cannot provide a replay since I saw it on LiquidNonY's stream yesterday.
http://da.twitch.tv/liquidnony/b/337733448 about 1 hour and 12 minutes in.
You can attack with this?!
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-02 15:40:43
November 02 2012 15:17 GMT
#7277
--- Nuked ---
DarkblueRH
Profile Joined October 2010
United States144 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-02 17:31:29
November 02 2012 17:29 GMT
#7278
I've got a specific question about PvP if you guys have a moment to help me out. I'm a mid-high Master Protoss.

In short, my PvP sucks ass... I want a build in which I can get an expansion and play the macro game because that's where my strengths lie. Basically, my idea at the moment for this solid PvP strat is to 3 stalker rush, then build 2 sentries after the 2nd and 3rd stalker... With a pylon on my opponent's side of the map I'll scout up his ramp at 5:00. If he still has units at home, I cut probe production at 22 probes, expand, drop a robo and a 3rd gate then chrono probes. Then I scout again with an observer while having Xel'Naga control.

If he doesn't have units up his ramp at 5:00, I'll scout around. If it's 1gate pressure I do nothing. If it's 3/4gate pressure then I drop a 3rd gate and a robo, defend with sentries, and warp in zealots to my pylon on his side of the map to put into his mineral line while perma FF on my ramp.

My biggest fears are 1) gas steals, and 2) Stargate openers. How do you deal with gas steals if you're opening in this sort of manner? What is the proper manner to play vs Stargate openers with this sort of build? Both if they decide to all-in you off 1base or decide to expand as well. Everything else seems to be well accounted for with micro/scouting or occurs before I've commit to anything.

Thanks for the help in advance.
RelentlessHeroes.com
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 02 2012 17:46 GMT
#7279
On November 02 2012 09:30 Bwaaaa wrote:
Are there any tips you guys can give me to improve my map awareness. I am constantly unaware where my opponents army is. I am usually caught off guard when my opponent comes out of nowhere and snipes my third(usually vs T) and last game I was forced into a losing base-trade because when I moved out he had his army sitting near my third.

Do I make more observers? But wouldn't that cripple my robo production?

Beyond the obvious (make observers, control watch towers), keeping your army moving helps. When you're moving your army, you'll naturally be thinking about where he is and without even realizing, you'll be making decisions about how to better keep tabs on his movements. If you watch pro games, you'll see their armies are constantly shuffling back and forth even when it seems like it's just wasted clicks.

And if your problem is not map vision but rather actually noticing what's going on in your minimap, I'd suggest using windowed mode and making the game window small. My monitor is simply too big and too close to my chair (shallow desk) for me to see my minimap well with my peripheral vision. The smaller window keeps the minimap close to the center of my focus all the time. It wound up making a huge difference in my minimap awareness, and it game me a small APM and click accuracy boost too (didn't have to move the mouse pointer as far on the screen).
pestilenz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Denmark379 Posts
November 03 2012 02:24 GMT
#7280
On November 03 2012 00:17 Sated wrote:
I saw that as well and I think it's a really effective response if you're capable of controlling properly. Blinking the Stalkers in like that gives cover for your Immortals to get up into the Tank line, and once the Immortals are in the Tank line it is game over. Tanks also can't shoot at units that are right next to them, so Blink Stalkers right on top of Tanks can actually be really good if the Terran doesn't have any supporting units capable of dealing with Stalkers. However, I feel I should also point out that NonY could've simply being reacting to the Terran's composition. In that game the Terran went mostly Hellion/Tank, neither of which are good at dealing with Immortals. Since I don't get to see Mech vs. Protoss much, and I certainly don't get to see Mech vs. NonY much, I don't know if that is his common response to Mech or if it is just something he did based on the Terran player's composition.

As a side note, I've had quite a few Terran players attempting to play a similar style against me recently (sometimes with Banshee harassment thrown in). Are other Protoss players noticing more Mech-based styles recently or am I just having a strange streak of chance..? I figure it's people who have been playing HotS attempting to play Mech in WoL, but the last two Terran players I have asked about their Mech-play have BM'd me for daring to message them outside of a game D:



I would like to know as well. And maybe start doing it myself haha - seriously seemed a lot more fun ^^
But still, wondering how many out there that have experimented with this "style" and how they felt about it.
You can attack with this?!
Prev 1 362 363 364 365 366 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 331
UpATreeSC 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1383
actioN 465
BeSt 215
Dewaltoss 166
firebathero 85
Barracks 59
Zeus 57
Sexy 40
Trap 37
soO 28
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 23
JYJ 19
Shine 19
zelot 16
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7486
qojqva2151
Dendi848
420jenkins168
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps982
Fnx 791
x6flipin444
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5678
crisheroes5258
Liquid`Hasu631
Other Games
Beastyqt647
B2W.Neo547
ceh9475
byalli379
ArmadaUGS161
Khaldor155
KnowMe142
C9.Mang0132
TKL 108
BRAT_OK 76
Trikslyr56
Railgan9
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV260
BasetradeTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream129
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH302
• StrangeGG 59
• Reevou 6
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 56
• blackmanpl 21
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• FirePhoenix7
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV434
League of Legends
• Nemesis3708
• TFBlade953
Other Games
• Shiphtur318
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 24m
Stellar Fest
19h 24m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.