• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:28
CEST 11:28
KST 18:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9895 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 324

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 322 323 324 325 326 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-10 21:35:59
September 10 2012 21:35 GMT
#6461
On September 11 2012 06:01 ant885 wrote:
Hey there - I'm having some trouble in PvT at mid masters level

Basically I play a creator style pvt and have trouble holding onto my third. I try to take it slightly after I scout the terran's third and if he does so at a fairly early but unstandardish time (say 9-10 minutes) I can never seem to hold onto it.

http://drop.sc/249198

In this replay I thought I'd be safe for sure- his 5racks did little damage and I scouted him taking a third (so no real threat of medi timings), I take mine off 3 gates and col tech with double forge. So I'm just wondering if there's a "standard/safe" time to take the third after the terran does with this style. Is it necessary to get to 6 gates before a third in situations like this (unless they go 1rax double cc), or am I just playing it badly?

Thanks


Do you realize that you were still way ahead after he denied your 3rd? You can't expect to match his army, his economy, and be way ahead of tech than him all at the same time. When you go for a double upgrade style (especially the version you're doing where you get colossus and twilight upgrades at the same time), there is no way you can match a terran's economy. You don't need to. Also in that game, the terran's tech was already much further behind than normal (due to this early rax pressure). On top of all of that, even though he had a 3rd cc his scv count was abysmally low, you had like 20 more workers than him at all times.

Essentially, you were playing super greedy and he stopped you from being super super greedy. You still easily won. You actually might have gotten away with the 3rd if you made a few sentries, I don't know why you never remade your sentries.
LSF
Profile Joined April 2012
469 Posts
September 10 2012 21:58 GMT
#6462
How do I defend against marauder-heavy 1-base plays while going for 1-gate-FE myself? I've switched from T to P recently and this is giving me a hard time. Even if I scout it in time I just don't have a clue what to do against it.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
September 10 2012 22:13 GMT
#6463
On September 11 2012 06:58 LSF wrote:
How do I defend against marauder-heavy 1-base plays while going for 1-gate-FE myself? I've switched from T to P recently and this is giving me a hard time. Even if I scout it in time I just don't have a clue what to do against it.


What kind of 1 base play are you talking about? Proxy marauder? 2 rax? 3 rax all-in with stim? If you're facing some sort of proxy then obviously you should not put up your expo or cancel it if it's already started, add gateways, and chrono out zealots/stalkers. Against 2 rax, you have some options, if you haven't already used chronos on gateways or spent extra chronos on probes (so I'm talking you've only used 2-3 chronos max), you actually have time to chrono out your warpgate tech and have that ready before the attack can hit and take down your nexus (sometimes you'll have to let your nexus tank a few hits). Or you can also just go up to 3 gateways asap and chrono out gateway units. While a lot of people like sentries early on, I actually find that against early rax pressure it's much easier to avoid sentries altogether and focus on just zealot/stalker. Don't be afraid to pull probes if he's also pulled scvs.

Against a 3 rax stim all-in, sentries in this case are a must. Forcefield is the key to stopping this kind of all-in. Also if you have a forge because you're going for early upgrades, getting 1 or 2 cannons at your choke/ramp is actually really useful for defending.
LSF
Profile Joined April 2012
469 Posts
September 10 2012 22:36 GMT
#6464
Hey, thanks for the quick reply, this helps a lot.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 11 2012 01:36 GMT
#6465
rsvp thanks for the help, but I don't have any replays.

Anyways, switched to Protoss and it's so much fun! I actually am having a higher winrate on ladder with Protoss than I was with Zerg O___o

I'm a little lost about Zerg lategame. When do I start a stargate? I like doing a 1g third -> robo + twilight -> massive stalker/sentry/immortal army, but as a result I'm never like "oh, time to start my stargate to get mothership in time for broodlords!"

So yeah. How is lategame PvZ best played out? Do you have to win with the 3+ colossus 3 base push/get a lucky vortex in a 1h game, or is it possible to outpower broodlord/corruptor/infestor to get the win? When I played Zerg I lost to basetrades, but that was really it. And fungal + IT + spine dealt with blink stalker baseraces pretty damn well, and I usually defended.

How to play lategame PvZ? Mass archon/colossus/carrier + mothership or can I play a different style that's also effective?
Getting back into sc2 O_o
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 11 2012 01:49 GMT
#6466
I could tell you if rsvp would help me out on a little something something. *wink* *wink*
Moderator
transcendent one
Profile Joined July 2012
251 Posts
September 11 2012 02:03 GMT
#6467
On September 10 2012 12:42 stille_nacht wrote:
should i scout early with a probe then in case of banshee? or do i just accept the loss if they decide to quick tech
or does it hit before banshee's finish?


well tbh this build outright dies to cloak banshee. you need to scout his base, and run past his bunker with a zealot or something, to see his unit count and if check if the expo is really there. if you suspect 1 base play it will involve banshees like 90% of the time, you can transition out of the 6gate easily just tech instead of building sentries.

or just research halluc, you'll have 1 less sentry and you can fully scout his base with a penix and hallucinate some decent tanking units. i've even had master terrans building vikings vs my hallucinated colossus which came much earlier than possible lol

i'm diamond btw and i have great success with this build in my league
transcendent one
Profile Joined July 2012
251 Posts
September 11 2012 02:11 GMT
#6468
On September 11 2012 06:58 LSF wrote:
How do I defend against marauder-heavy 1-base plays while going for 1-gate-FE myself? I've switched from T to P recently and this is giving me a hard time. Even if I scout it in time I just don't have a clue what to do against it.


what kind of 1 base plays? with 1gate expo then 2gate i held off all kind of marauder cheeses in diamond. with 3 gate before expo it's even much easier. cancel the expo if needed, zealots and good stalker micro is good enough. or don't hesitate to pull a few probes they're decent vs marauders.
ant885
Profile Joined July 2011
United States52 Posts
September 11 2012 02:30 GMT
#6469
On September 11 2012 06:35 rsvp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2012 06:01 ant885 wrote:
Hey there - I'm having some trouble in PvT at mid masters level

Basically I play a creator style pvt and have trouble holding onto my third. I try to take it slightly after I scout the terran's third and if he does so at a fairly early but unstandardish time (say 9-10 minutes) I can never seem to hold onto it.

http://drop.sc/249198

In this replay I thought I'd be safe for sure- his 5racks did little damage and I scouted him taking a third (so no real threat of medi timings), I take mine off 3 gates and col tech with double forge. So I'm just wondering if there's a "standard/safe" time to take the third after the terran does with this style. Is it necessary to get to 6 gates before a third in situations like this (unless they go 1rax double cc), or am I just playing it badly?

Thanks


Do you realize that you were still way ahead after he denied your 3rd? You can't expect to match his army, his economy, and be way ahead of tech than him all at the same time. When you go for a double upgrade style (especially the version you're doing where you get colossus and twilight upgrades at the same time), there is no way you can match a terran's economy. You don't need to. Also in that game, the terran's tech was already much further behind than normal (due to this early rax pressure). On top of all of that, even though he had a 3rd cc his scv count was abysmally low, you had like 20 more workers than him at all times.

Essentially, you were playing super greedy and he stopped you from being super super greedy. You still easily won. You actually might have gotten away with the 3rd if you made a few sentries, I don't know why you never remade your sentries.


Thanks for response. Yep I still knew I was ahead, I just thought I'd be able to take my third as well since he was taking it. Holding my third with that creator style has been a bit tricky for me in most games, that was just an example.

So basically it seems with that style I can't expect to match a terran's economy and don't need to, I'm wondering if you know of a "standardish" amount of time I should take my third after he does (i.e. 2-3 mins later or whatever). I realize this would be heavily game dependent, but assuming a standard game with no real damage done to either player.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 11 2012 03:19 GMT
#6470
Also just posted a PvZ analysis of the TSL finals: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=367635
Moderator
Misuari
Profile Joined May 2012
Singapore45 Posts
September 11 2012 08:18 GMT
#6471
Hey TL. How do i stop a 2rax Pressure (cheese) From a protoss ? I'm going MC's 1 gate FE , When i scouted the 2 rax , what do i transition to ?
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
September 11 2012 08:25 GMT
#6472
On September 11 2012 17:18 Misuari wrote:
Hey TL. How do i stop a 2rax Pressure (cheese) From a protoss ? I'm going MC's 1 gate FE , When i scouted the 2 rax , what do i transition to ?


Read Monk's guide to the MC 1 Gate FE: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=294136
KT best KT ~ 2014
Misuari
Profile Joined May 2012
Singapore45 Posts
September 11 2012 09:34 GMT
#6473
On September 11 2012 17:25 aZealot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2012 17:18 Misuari wrote:
Hey TL. How do i stop a 2rax Pressure (cheese) From a protoss ? I'm going MC's 1 gate FE , When i scouted the 2 rax , what do i transition to ?


Read Monk's guide to the MC 1 Gate FE: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=294136

ahh thanks man
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 11 2012 09:45 GMT
#6474
How do you know about/use MC's 1 gate fe without having read the guide? O_O I don't think anywhere else on the net has a bo of it.
Moderator
Misuari
Profile Joined May 2012
Singapore45 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-11 13:55:42
September 11 2012 10:14 GMT
#6475
On September 11 2012 18:45 NrGmonk wrote:
How do you know about/use MC's 1 gate fe without having read the guide? O_O I don't think anywhere else on the net has a bo of it.

I think i cross it somewhere on youtube , cant remember tho . But a friend ingame of mine thought me this cause i was repeatedly going FFE against terran and he said it was a risky build , or so he claims. thus , teaching me this build

Edit : How do high tier protoss player tap to their nexus / buildings so quickly ? I've heard about placement hotkeys , where you hotkey a certain area. Is this possible or was my friend just trolling so with me?
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-11 20:23:09
September 11 2012 20:22 GMT
#6476
Camera hotkeys, Misuari. For example, in your options menu you can select and set camera keys. For example, in the early game I have F1 (selected through shift+F1) as my ramp, with F2 as my natural ramp/choke when gate expanding v Zerg. Later in the game it becomes, or should become (because I'm still too much of a newb to use camera keys effectively as the game goes on) your primary base camera key. F2 can become a camera key which takes you to your natural, and so on. I would not go overboard with all this stuff at the start, though. Heck, I still have enough trouble either undermaking or overmaking probes and not getting supply blocked. But, yes, look at the options menu and the different hotkey settings possible.
KT best KT ~ 2014
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 11 2012 20:24 GMT
#6477
Alej wrote a thread about it:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=332888

But yeah it's far above bronze level, don't worry about it for now
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 11 2012 20:54 GMT
#6478
On September 11 2012 12:19 NrGmonk wrote:
Also just posted a PvZ analysis of the TSL finals: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=367635

That was a beautiful read, and some great information, thanks! Did you write that, or did some English major write it?
I suppose I'll just get a stargate around when I get my 3 base production going and am taking a fourth. I believe I saw a post with some math that if you start your fleet beacon once hive starts, you'll have a vortex in time with perfect chronos? I just never know when to add high templar/archons. I love getting DTs for warp prism DT harass, but DT tech =/= HT tech. I suppose, again, once my economy/production stabilizes.

The Protoss "mindset" is completely different from Zerg, but it's still tons of fun. Nothing like not having to worry about getting your ass cheesed/all-inned every game.

General question: ]With SaSe's 2gate aggressive FE, how do I hold 4gate WP? I'll edit in replays in 30 mins or so, but I've defended it once and lost to it once (against bottom masters players). The game I defended it, I sniped the warp prism before it could warp in 4 stalkers, so it was ~1z 6s against 4z, and as a result I traded very well. The game I lost to it, he elevatored into my main and I didn't scout it, so it was a fight that I ended up losing. It was 4gate vs 4gate and I had more income, but I eventually got overrun. Felt like my WG were always on cooldown! D:

The build I do is:
2gate 5 stalker rush -> 37 nexus -> robo if I scout expo or suspect DTs, otherwise I go up to 4gate then robo to deal with all ins.

Do I need to snipe the WP before he warps in/elevators 8 units into my base, or should my 4gate robo be able to outproduce his 4gate?

Thanks for all the help; it's appreciated! And again, I'll edit in replays soon.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 11 2012 20:58 GMT
#6479
On September 11 2012 19:14 Misuari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2012 18:45 NrGmonk wrote:
How do you know about/use MC's 1 gate fe without having read the guide? O_O I don't think anywhere else on the net has a bo of it.

Edit : How do high tier protoss player tap to their nexus / buildings so quickly ? I've heard about placement hotkeys , where you hotkey a certain area. Is this possible or was my friend just trolling so with me?

I went into options -> hotkeys -> global, and under "Camera" I set my camera locations to F1-F8. Who uses idle worker anyway? If I need it, I'll press control and click on the icon that's still there in the bottom left of the screen.

About the camera hotkeys:
You'll press Control+FX (where 1<=X<=8), and it will save that camera location. By pressing FX (without control ), it will set the camera back to that location. I set my bases to F1-F8, but am considering using layered camera hotkeys (like in TheCore layout), where I rebind camera 8 to my main warp in, and set the create location to Control+W, and recall would be Shift+W.
Then to warp in I just press Shift+W, W, and then spam warp ins :D
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-12 01:03:45
September 12 2012 00:55 GMT
#6480
Ahhhhh so annoying.

What do I do upon scouting CC first? I do MC's 1gate FE, so I end up WAY behind economically it's not even funny. I basically lost the game as soon as he was in the last position second position I scouted. But yeah. If I do a 13 scout and don't find his CC first until I've already gotten a gate, core, and zealot, how can I get back into the game?

Here's the replay:
http://drop.sc/251390
I know that I made mistakes -- I teched way too hard, not even being able to afford to produce. I then got destroyed by a flank, because I had no sentries (mistake I think?)
I could've cancelled the Zealot if I noticed his CC before returning to his natural @3:45. or was more familiar with the timings.

These are all easy to correct with experience (6 games played as Protoss lol), so I just want to know what to do upon scouting that I'm really far behind.

Edit: oops, three posts in a row D:

Also, if I didn't GG in that game, it's because the last 2 games I lost to marine/scv 3 rax all-in where he built a bunker and hid the other 2 rax to make it look like an expand, and the other game was a 1 base spine crawler rush (what the hell), so I was pretty frustrated. "More GG, more skill"
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Prev 1 322 323 324 325 326 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 2276
Bisu 470
Hyuk 422
Killer 105
Dewaltoss 94
Larva 91
Leta 80
Sexy 78
EffOrt 76
Soma 68
[ Show more ]
ZerO 62
Light 49
ToSsGirL 47
soO 41
Yoon 34
Sharp 34
Aegong 28
Sacsri 22
Bale 20
NaDa 16
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 14
Shinee 13
JulyZerg 10
Rush 8
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Fuzer 135
League of Legends
JimRising 365
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss854
byalli749
kRYSTAL_35
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor949
crisheroes554
Other Games
gofns29737
singsing1473
olofmeister999
ceh9641
Mew2King86
ArmadaUGS46
ZerO(Twitch)11
B2W.Neo1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream149
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2389
League of Legends
• Stunt404
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 32m
OSC
12h 32m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.