• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:17
CEST 04:17
KST 11:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7771 users

"Carrier Has Arrived" Refreshing New PvZ Strategy - Page 16

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 Next All
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
March 27 2011 17:51 GMT
#301
Phoenix/DT is a very powerful, and standard, late game composition against zerg to defend while building up a power ball to crush the zerg. It has high multitasking/APM requirements, but the gist is that you snipe overseer's very quickly and then send the DT's in, and finish off fliers with the phoenix after the DTs take out the ground troops. It doesn't work on offense very well, but it's a very good delaying tactic.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Hierarch
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2197 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 18:07:11
March 27 2011 18:06 GMT
#302
On March 28 2011 02:51 Whitewing wrote:
Phoenix/DT is a very powerful, and standard, late game composition against zerg to defend while building up a power ball to crush the zerg. It has high multitasking/APM requirements, but the gist is that you snipe overseer's very quickly and then send the DT's in, and finish off fliers with the phoenix after the DTs take out the ground troops. It doesn't work on offense very well, but it's a very good delaying tactic.


Basically SC2 version of Corsair/DT except more defensive probably.
MC|NonY|HerO|NaDa|MVP|DRG|Ret|Sen|Dimaga|Leenock
cha0
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada518 Posts
March 29 2011 00:33 GMT
#303
+ Show Spoiler +
I guess San reads TL
Hierarch
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2197 Posts
March 29 2011 01:07 GMT
#304
On March 29 2011 09:33 cha0 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I guess San reads TL


lol, too bad it was executed so poorly instead of mass stalkers if he had had zealots and voidrays he would have crushed that corrupter/ling army
MC|NonY|HerO|NaDa|MVP|DRG|Ret|Sen|Dimaga|Leenock
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
March 29 2011 01:14 GMT
#305
Link to game please? Haven't seen it and it would be interesting to glean some information from (what I assume to be) a pro player executing his version of the build.
Typhon
Profile Joined July 2009
United States387 Posts
March 29 2011 01:23 GMT
#306
http://www.gomtv.net/2011championship/vod/63759

game 4
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
March 29 2011 02:19 GMT
#307
Thanks for the link. =) Just finished watching the game and yeah... I entirely agree that a more Zealot heavy composition would have made this work out a lot differently.

Something that did intrigue me a little bit was his Stargate timings. He didn't throw them up one after another (though admittedly, that super fast Nexus meant he needed to spend more in the immediate timeframe on his Gateway infrastructure).

It's something that would perhaps need to be tweaked and played with a little bit... But I may experiment a little bit with going single gateway and a fast Twilight Council. Zealot Legs is something that you will want anyway, as well as the ability to get those DTs when the time arises. In the meantime you can still start chronoboosting that void ray and the following phoenix, and add on the second stargate just a tad later.

The reason i want to play with this a bit is because once I start pumping out of my Stargates, I feel like everything else gets put on hold and it's one of those "Oh shit I really could use that now instead of later" situations. It could be my poor execution for one (I'm still practicing not only the build, but my mechanics as well)... But my money is USUALLY low unless I'm harassing with Phoenix and I often feel that it's a little to tight at certain spots.

The thing is this build techs in a completely different way than the typical Colossus ball... And it throws off certain things... But I do feel they can be worked on, and I do feel that this is not an inherently flawed strategy. Take that San game... Even with a boatload of Corrupters it was very very difficult for him to crack that Carrier fleet. As was pointed out before, those lings would have been shredded by those Zealots... Which would of freed up a LOT of gas to make a lot of Void Rays (if he added a third Stargate this would have been easily doable).

I think that game might be a little taste of what is to come. Don't get me wrong, Colossus will often be seen wrecking Zerg armies, but I really do hope that the Carrier gets to see some more action, as it truly is a crazy unit (did you see how quickly that expo was sniped? xD ).
Whiplash
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2929 Posts
March 29 2011 04:58 GMT
#308
I've been doing the basics of this build and strategy. Vs a zerg that hasn't seen it before I feel you can do pretty well against them. I think that the build needs to be executed really well and you need good control, and the maps need to favor fast expanding for this to be decently viable at the top level of play.
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator. Former Starcraft commentator/player
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
March 29 2011 05:28 GMT
#309
I disagree that the map needs to be viable for a "fast" expand. I don't think there isn't a map where you can't go for 3-gate Sentry expand unless I'm completely and utterly forgetting something. From my playing thus far, I haven't had any issues with the opening into expand phase... It's after you start getting your Stargate tech up where it starts to get a little more tricky.
hitman133
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1425 Posts
March 29 2011 05:29 GMT
#310
Nice, gonna try this out, so tired of colossus build :p
LesPhoques
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada782 Posts
March 29 2011 05:31 GMT
#311
On March 29 2011 14:28 CrAzEdMiKe wrote:
I disagree that the map needs to be viable for a "fast" expand. I don't think there isn't a map where you can't go for 3-gate Sentry expand unless I'm completely and utterly forgetting something. From my playing thus far, I haven't had any issues with the opening into expand phase... It's after you start getting your Stargate tech up where it starts to get a little more tricky.


Its hard to hold off 2base roach+sling push on:
1. Metalopolis
2. Xel'Naga Caverns but its fairly questionably
3. Slag Pits.
Hierarch
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2197 Posts
March 29 2011 05:47 GMT
#312
On March 29 2011 14:31 LesPhoques wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2011 14:28 CrAzEdMiKe wrote:
I disagree that the map needs to be viable for a "fast" expand. I don't think there isn't a map where you can't go for 3-gate Sentry expand unless I'm completely and utterly forgetting something. From my playing thus far, I haven't had any issues with the opening into expand phase... It's after you start getting your Stargate tech up where it starts to get a little more tricky.


Its hard to hold off 2base roach+sling push on:
1. Metalopolis
2. Xel'Naga Caverns but its fairly questionably
3. Slag Pits.


I have slag pits vetoed since it's probably the worst map blizzard has made for SC2, and no competitive entity would ever feature it in it's map pool.

Metal can hold a roach/sling push with 3 canons, good building placement and good ff's. 1-2 voidrays kill roaches quite fast and the buildings, canons, ff's delay the roaches while the gateway army pokes at them and the lings. Xel'naga is a bit harder but I feel like it's still manageable if you scout it properly which shouldn't be a problem due to hallucinated phoenixes and real phoenixes.
MC|NonY|HerO|NaDa|MVP|DRG|Ret|Sen|Dimaga|Leenock
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-29 05:50:10
March 29 2011 05:48 GMT
#313
I don't have much experience with Slag Pits as of yet, but you still see 3 gate expands into both Metalopolis and Xel'Naga Caverns all the time... Many many Colossus builds open up with the 3 gate expand in the exact same method as this build. The difficulty is the same in all respects at that point. As said, it's after you start throwing down the Stargate where the gameplay changes from that of a more traditional Colossus based build.

I'm not saying you're super safe and 100% inpenetrable at any point in time, because lets face it, this is SC2... You're never really "perfectly safe" until the very very end of the game (or you're dead... one of the two xD ). However, 3-gate expand is becoming extremely standard vs. Zerg players and the beauty of it is that it can be used pretty much anywhere (with of course varying degrees of "security" ).

But we are arguing semantics and not actually focusing on the build.

EDIT: Post replying to LesPhoques... Heirarch beat me to the punch by a minute lol
TarotFlame
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada5 Posts
March 29 2011 15:33 GMT
#314
Gotta say, love this build. I need to practice it more but from what I have done, it just felt so right! Thanks!
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
March 31 2011 04:03 GMT
#315
I've been doing a bit of experimenting, and something that I'm going to throw up as food for thought (I'm not quite sure if I really prefer it or not) is to actually prioritize air armor over air attack with this build.

Now I know that Carriers get stupid crazy DPS when they have high attack upgrades. However, what I came to realize is that the Carriers tend to mow through most of the Zerg units pretty quickly anyway... And since they aren't doing splash and are focusing one unit at a time, I've been having a much easier time keeping my air army alive by trying to pump the air armor up as quickly as I can after I get +1 attack (because +1 attack is so much better earlier on for the Phoenix harass and for Void Rays).

Since Carriers take so long to build and really are the power unit of the build, I think that having a larger emphasis on armor is actually more useful than attack. You have to pay a bit of attention as to how the Zerg is upgrading... But having the fleet in the sky stay alive has been working out very well for me. Again it's food for thought, but it has really been helping my fleet stay alive and it really helps make the Phoenix much more robust (since they really do feel like paper planes sometimes).

Again, would like to hear other opinions/experiences if possible. It could be a "stylistic" choice... But again, would like to hear some other opinions/views on the matter.
SkaPunk
Profile Joined October 2010
United States471 Posts
March 31 2011 16:38 GMT
#316
Ok how the balls do I hold this off http://replayfu.com/r/q6Mnvq
Team Fallacy
Mojeca
Profile Joined September 2010
United States46 Posts
March 31 2011 17:58 GMT
#317
@ crazedmike - I would suggest upgrading shields instead of air armor, and stick with air weapons. Often in battles my carriers lose most of their shields but rarely to they take too much hull damage or I am going to lose. shield upgrades also help your zealots (and I think cannons too right?) so it serves as a much more useful upgrade, and you can still get air weapons at the same time because they upgrade from different buildings.
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
March 31 2011 20:09 GMT
#318
It is true that Shields will help all your units vs just the air, however shields regenerate pretty quickly and hit point damage is permanent, thus I would rather keep the HP of my carriers higher than the shields (especially since they have more HP than shields to draw on). That and the fact that Carriers come with a natural 2 armor to begin with can make it very difficult for Zerg to deal with. I had a foolish Zerg opponent that tried to stay on Mutalisk (vs. Phoenix and Carriers? xD) and his hits on the Carriers did next to nothing.

That and shield upgrades cost more than the armor upgrades... Namely in gas. In such a gas intensive build, it gets super duper expensive to get those shields up to +3 (900 gas vs. 675 if I'm not mistaken).
Mojeca
Profile Joined September 2010
United States46 Posts
March 31 2011 21:27 GMT
#319
I guess its a matter of preference, but here is my reasoning to prefer shields over armor.

The fact that shields regenerate quickly and hull damage is permanent is even more reason to prefer shield upgrades because there is less of a chance of taking hull damage if your shields are stronger. Not only that but because shields regenerate you can get more effective health out of shields than hull, meaning shields take more damage by the time the carrier dies, meaning shield upgrades will prevent more damage than hull upgrades. Shield upgrades also help out all the zealots and cannons you will be making as well so Its worth the extra cost, not to mention that unless you made 2 cyber cores, your sacrificing weapon upgrade time for armor.
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
April 01 2011 04:40 GMT
#320
I usually do make two Cyber Cores... I'm an upgrade wh... freak. xD

But that being said, I do try and squeeze in upgrades only when I'm comfortable with how many units I have. So usually I end up focusing on one and adding the other in when I feel comfortable (i.e. I will make a point to getting an upgrade, for instance +1 attack once I start getting Phoenix because I know it makes them more effective at that stage in the game) and go for the other one when I have a little bit of extra money.

So basically, I've been experimenting with upgrading the armor in a more dedicated fashion vs. the attack.

In regards to taking less damage to hull via shields I'm going to calculate this out on the spot (I don't know what the answer is as I'm writing this). So a carrier has 150 shields and 350 life + 2 base armor. Lets say we are being attacked by a single unupgraded hydra (for simplicities sake, we'll assume you are ahead in upgrades)and you have 0 interceptors so the carrier is not fighting back. The Hydra does 12 damage a shot to your Carrier. Now, without upgrades it will take 13 shots to go through the carriers shields and doing 4 damage to the hull (6 damage -2 base armor of the carrier. Then it will take 35 shots to bring the carrier to death. Now just to make it so that the carrier does not die (1 shot remaining in an upgraded scenario) we will have the Hydralisk make 47 shots on the carrier.

If the Carrier has +3 shields, it will take the Hydralisk a total of 17 shots to work it's way through the shields doing an additional 1 damage to the hull, and then our 34 shots to bring the carrier to near death for a total of 51 shots (obviously that is much better than 47 shots).

Same scenario, but this time we go with armor. So 13 shots to take out the shields and now it takes (12 - 5 damage = 7 per shot) 49 shots to bring the Carrier to near death for a total of 62 shots.

That's an additional 10 shots over going for shield upgrades. Now granted, shield upgrades WILL as you said help absolutely every unit and structure you possess, and that is something to take into consideration... And obviously the opponent SHOULD be getting upgrades of his own to make his units more effective against yours, and how he upgrades should also influence how you upgrade... Since if you are hard to kill but the Zerg units are equally hard to kill for you, they WILL outnumber you and will be getting more shots off... So if they're going heavy armor I might actually go for more attack upgrades depending on the situation (namely if I'm seeing a LOT of Corrupters).

I still haven't fully decided on which I prefer, as the whole idea of the army composition is to use the Zealots to hold the Zerg units back from attacking the fleet. And by me thinking this out it actually makes me realize that maybe the correct pattern is for me to drop the second Cyber core and not worry about armor altogether and focus more on Shields and air attack instead of trying to work in all three. You are also correct in that if you're in a situation where Carriers are only taking light to medium fire, shield upgrades are probably more beneficial... In fact now that I'm thinking about it more, if they've got a situation where the Carriers are just out on their own, you're likely to be in trouble anyway... So I don't know, I'm going to have to think about it some more.

Like I mentioned previously, I'm a little concerned about the gas requirement for shield upgrades... But admittedly, you can get them rolling a little more easily (at least in my version of the build where after I expand I lay down a single stargate and templar archives up at roughly the same time).

I'm definitely going to be doing some experimenting, as I feel that the upgrades are super crucial in this particular build as our units are not "direct counters", more of an all purpose generally good unit. Don't get me wrong, Colossi are great all around units, but they do have some glaring vulnerabilities (no air attack, derrrrrr) wheras carriers are not AS easily countered. Zerg can't kite Carriers like Terrans can with vikings, and corrupters while good are not going to absolutely rape Carriers. So I feel that the choice of what upgrades you go for in this build are absolutely crucial.

Off to the ladder to try and test some of this out. =D
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 151
ProTech132
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18598
Rain 1559
GuemChi 898
sorry 50
NaDa 18
Bale 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever444
NeuroSwarm198
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 448
minikerr38
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1052
Mew2King117
Other Games
summit1g6821
JimRising 558
WinterStarcraft505
C9.Mang0170
ViBE134
ZombieGrub16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick832
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 189
• davetesta41
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt240
Other Games
• Scarra945
• Shiphtur496
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 43m
INu's Battles
8h 43m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
10h 43m
OSC
19h 58m
Replay Cast
20h 43m
OSC
1d 20h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.