• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:23
CEST 11:23
KST 18:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9753 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 295

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 293 294 295 296 297 900 Next
vince1234
Profile Joined May 2011
39 Posts
July 27 2011 05:07 GMT
#5881
I went on a winning streak in bronze. When season 3 started i won my placement match and now I am in silver...Is it possible to jump more than 1 league? Why is that I only went up 1 league? Can I get promoted during the season, say I do really well in s3 and get promoted during s3, or do I have to wait until season4 to get promoted? I know this is more than 1 question but please help!
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 27 2011 05:10 GMT
#5882
On July 27 2011 13:33 Kezzer wrote:
What is an effective zerg army composition against a balanced 200/200 protoss colossus stalker zealot deathball? Mass roach isn't working for me, I tried mixing in some infestors(4-5), I tired hydras, I just can't nail down the units I need

EDIT: looks liek this question has been answered a bit before me, but it does have phoenix


Standard roach/hydra/corruptor is ok. New style which is probably more effective but more difficult to use is infestor play. Any combination of roach/ling/baneling (dropped from ovies) with infestors is good. You'll want to fungal everything and if you have enough infestors, NP the colossus as well. Late game brood lords are great.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 27 2011 05:10 GMT
#5883
On July 27 2011 14:07 vince1234 wrote:
I went on a winning streak in bronze. When season 3 started i won my placement match and now I am in silver...Is it possible to jump more than 1 league? Why is that I only went up 1 league? Can I get promoted during the season, say I do really well in s3 and get promoted during s3, or do I have to wait until season4 to get promoted? I know this is more than 1 question but please help!


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=195273
ShatterStorm
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia146 Posts
July 27 2011 05:19 GMT
#5884
Within the game client on the Home page, there is a banner that tells you haw many players are on Battle-net, how many SC2 games are being played worldwide and how many are being played in your region. I like to be able to actually see how many people are playing SC2 in my region at any given time...
Is there any way to find out this info without actually logging into the system and waiting for the desired info to cross the banner ? (I'm thinking of a site that monitors activity similar to sc2ranks, or the report thread in TL that lets you know when the servers are Up/Down/Patching etc)
Do or do not, there is no try
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 27 2011 05:22 GMT
#5885
On July 27 2011 11:54 djense wrote:
As Protoss, I always seem to have trouble deciding when to fit in my forge. When (supply or time) should you place your forge if you are doing say a 2 gate robo? What rules of thumb do you use about when to place it because it usually means you are cutting units and it costs a decent amount of minerals in the early game. Does the timing differ between the opponent race?



Not a simple question, and definitely no simple answer. I'll still comment a little though.

PvP: If you're going colossus, add a forge sometime after you get your expansion set up. Get only attack. If you're going mass gateway i.e. chargelot/archon, this forge/attack upgrade can be earlier especially if you wanted to get it for detection against DTs.

PvZ: You commonly get a forge for cannons to defend your natural anyway. I personally like to start getting upgrades pretty fast. If I FFE, my first 300 gas goes to warpgate tech, a tech building, and a sentry. Next 100 goes to the forge upgrade (attack first). If I do something like 3 gate expo (which I don't, but for sake of discussion), I'll add a forge and a 4th gate after I put down my expansion, and start the upgrade as soon as the forge is up. Attack is generally more important, but I've seen people dual forge for armor upgrades as well (not too common though).

PvT: This is where most variance and personal preference comes in. If I go colossus, I like to start upgrading about the same time I start getting colossus. If I'm going mass gateway, I'll get my forge at around the same time I go up to 6 gates and/or when I get a council. Getting 2 forges at once for dual upgrades in this matchup is really popular as well.

Note: all these forge timings are after you have 2 bases. You shouldn't be getting forge upgrades on 1 base, so your question about when to get it if you're doing 2 gate robo is irrelevant.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
July 27 2011 08:37 GMT
#5886
--- Nuked ---
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 27 2011 14:38 GMT
#5887
On July 27 2011 17:37 Sated wrote:
PvP. Going for a 3-stalker build into blink or DT. Opponent gas steal me. What is the best idea? Get out zealots instead of stalkers early to kill the gas or..?


Yes, I would start making a zealot asap before your first stalker, even if it delays your first stalker so you can kill that gas quickly. 1 zealot is enough though, then just continue on normally.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
July 27 2011 15:38 GMT
#5888
When playing Protoss (that is, PvX), when do you feel it is necessary to get an Obs out? Obviously you'll have one or two when playing a Robo build, but when doing Templar tech or Stargate openings, do you feel pressured to get a Robo Facility and an Obs for scouting, or do you feel safe enough without it?
It's your boy Guzma!
Azulock
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom58 Posts
July 27 2011 16:07 GMT
#5889
What's the safest timings for FFE to ensure protection against a 6/7pool zerg rush if scouted last on a big map? (PvZ)

In PvP what is generally the best end game composition?

Thanks

galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 27 2011 16:29 GMT
#5890
In PvP what is generally the best end game composition?


You can't really go wrong with 4+ colossus.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 27 2011 16:31 GMT
#5891
On July 28 2011 00:38 Requizen wrote:
When playing Protoss (that is, PvX), when do you feel it is necessary to get an Obs out? Obviously you'll have one or two when playing a Robo build, but when doing Templar tech or Stargate openings, do you feel pressured to get a Robo Facility and an Obs for scouting, or do you feel safe enough without it?


Well when you're doing a stargate opening, you don't usually need to scout as you're the one applying pressure, not the opponent. It's their job to respond to what you're doing.
Same with DT openings.

As far as templar openings...? I'm not sure if that's a thing, but if you were to open blind templar then a Robo would set you pretty far back. Make sure you're constantly scouting the front, it's a lot cheaper than an observer.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 27 2011 16:33 GMT
#5892
On July 27 2011 17:37 Sated wrote:
PvP. Going for a 3-stalker build into blink or DT. Opponent gas steal me. What is the best idea? Get out zealots instead of stalkers early to kill the gas or..?


It would probably be best to just thrown down a gateway early and maybe get 1 zealot? Remember, he sacraficed 75 minerals to steal that gas, so as long as it doesn't slow you down too much you'll come out ahead. Just Kill it with your first units ASAP.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
July 27 2011 16:40 GMT
#5893
On July 28 2011 01:31 galtdunn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 00:38 Requizen wrote:
When playing Protoss (that is, PvX), when do you feel it is necessary to get an Obs out? Obviously you'll have one or two when playing a Robo build, but when doing Templar tech or Stargate openings, do you feel pressured to get a Robo Facility and an Obs for scouting, or do you feel safe enough without it?


Well when you're doing a stargate opening, you don't usually need to scout as you're the one applying pressure, not the opponent. It's their job to respond to what you're doing.
Same with DT openings.

As far as templar openings...? I'm not sure if that's a thing, but if you were to open blind templar then a Robo would set you pretty far back. Make sure you're constantly scouting the front, it's a lot cheaper than an observer.


By Templar opening, I meant things like Blink Stalker, DT, or general TC + Mass upgrade + Gateway unit builds, not like a Storm rush

I'm just never comfortable playing in the dark, which is why I always feel on edge playing as Zerg, I think.
It's your boy Guzma!
ApocAlypsE007
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Israel1007 Posts
July 27 2011 16:57 GMT
#5894
What is the fastest way to improve my game taking out the fun factor?
Im plat and im working and willing to work my ass to get out of there and to get to masters by mid september
I'm playing the game, the one that will take me to my end, i'm waiting for the rain, TO WASH-- WHO I AM!!!
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 27 2011 16:59 GMT
#5895
On July 28 2011 01:40 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 01:31 galtdunn wrote:
On July 28 2011 00:38 Requizen wrote:
When playing Protoss (that is, PvX), when do you feel it is necessary to get an Obs out? Obviously you'll have one or two when playing a Robo build, but when doing Templar tech or Stargate openings, do you feel pressured to get a Robo Facility and an Obs for scouting, or do you feel safe enough without it?


Well when you're doing a stargate opening, you don't usually need to scout as you're the one applying pressure, not the opponent. It's their job to respond to what you're doing.
Same with DT openings.

As far as templar openings...? I'm not sure if that's a thing, but if you were to open blind templar then a Robo would set you pretty far back. Make sure you're constantly scouting the front, it's a lot cheaper than an observer.


By Templar opening, I meant things like Blink Stalker, DT, or general TC + Mass upgrade + Gateway unit builds, not like a Storm rush

I'm just never comfortable playing in the dark, which is why I always feel on edge playing as Zerg, I think.

Ah makes more sense.
As zerg you should have map control. You just have to scout the front constantly and use overlords if necessary.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
galivet
Profile Joined February 2011
288 Posts
July 27 2011 17:12 GMT
#5896
How does Void Ray and Sentry attack damage work? It seems like they do continuous steady damage so I'm not sure how to effectively stutter-step them.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-27 17:18:20
July 27 2011 17:13 GMT
#5897
On July 28 2011 01:07 Azulock wrote:
What's the safest timings for FFE to ensure protection against a 6/7pool zerg rush if scouted last on a big map? (PvZ)

In PvP what is generally the best end game composition?

Thanks



On a map like tal darim (ladder edition) where you won't be able to fully wall off, 13 forge at natural, 15 pylon in your main. On a map like shakuras where you can wall off, don't blindly build that 2nd pylon yet because if you finally scout the 6/7 pool wall off with 2 additional gates asap and you can hold.

Colossus/void ray is best end game composition. Generally after mid game gateway units don't really matter at all and it just comes down to who has more colossus. However, since you stop making stalkers and colossus can't shoot up, void rays become very potent. It's tricky transitioning into void rays though since before you get too many, they can be killed by stalkers, but end game mass void rays is definitely the best. Add a mothership too. Some people say mass phoenix "counters" both void ray and colossus, but personally I haven't found that to work out.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-27 17:28:55
July 27 2011 17:20 GMT
#5898
On July 27 2011 23:38 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2011 17:37 Sated wrote:
PvP. Going for a 3-stalker build into blink or DT. Opponent gas steal me. What is the best idea? Get out zealots instead of stalkers early to kill the gas or..?


Yes, I would start making a zealot asap before your first stalker, even if it delays your first stalker so you can kill that gas quickly. 1 zealot is enough though, then just continue on normally.

Yep, although I've found that if you 13 gate you have enough resources to afford the vespene geyser early, and just not mine from it. Then you lay your second gate with about 75% of the core finished. So I usually just pay attention to the enemy probe and the enemy base. If the enemy already took their second gas, they aren't as likely to steal yours because that's 150 minerals. If their probe darts towards my empty geyser I'll usually just take it -I do this even when I 4 gate. I find it simply more beneficial to not let them steal your gas in basically all situations. Sort of like healthcare; prevention is cheaper.

But yes, if they do steal your geyser, get a Zealot out fast. I believe I chrono it and have a slight probe cut to start my next Stalker without getting supply blocked. Then you'll continue on as normal; your last Stalker should take the delay hit from your early 100 mineral sink on the Zealot.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 27 2011 17:22 GMT
#5899
On July 28 2011 02:12 galivet wrote:
How does Void Ray and Sentry attack damage work? It seems like they do continuous steady damage so I'm not sure how to effectively stutter-step them.


Nope, it looks like it's a continuous steady attack but it works just like any other attack. Sentries have a cooldown of 1 and void rays have a cooldown of 0.6, and both can be "stutter stepped." It just takes some practice since it's difficult to visually tell when the attack has hit. And actually sentries supposedly shoot faster when stutter stepped, they deal damage before the visual laser beam appears, so when stutter stepped correctly it looks like they're not attacking at all. This is kinda like the opposite of colossus, where you have to wait until the beams cross before issuing a stop or move command to them or else it won't do full damage.
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
July 27 2011 17:23 GMT
#5900
On July 28 2011 01:57 ApocAlypsE007 wrote:
What is the fastest way to improve my game taking out the fun factor?
Im plat and im working and willing to work my ass to get out of there and to get to masters by mid september

1. Choose a race to play exclusively
2. Decide 3 GOOD build orders you will use exclusively in XvT, XvP, XvZ matchups, and do not change even if you lose a bunch of times
3. Learn those 3 good build orders in and out and things will look much clearer to you. If you are willing to work your ass off, you still need to be disciplined about it or it will take you much much longer to achieve your goal.
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
Prev 1 293 294 295 296 297 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1213
firebathero 641
Hyun 402
Hyuk 398
BeSt 344
Jaedong 336
Mong 292
Soma 217
PianO 87
Shine 68
[ Show more ]
Sexy 68
910 57
Mind 55
Stork 47
sSak 41
Shinee 28
Hm[arnc] 27
ZergMaN 27
Bale 25
yabsab 22
Sharp 19
HiyA 17
ZerO 16
sorry 13
Noble 11
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe9
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1226
olofmeister1150
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King320
Other Games
gofns34298
summit1g7849
ceh9615
KnowMe136
Pyrionflax104
Livibee44
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick466
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1004
• Stunt381
Other Games
• Shiphtur444
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 37m
Patches Events
6h 37m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.