• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:28
CEST 04:28
KST 11:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6094 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 292

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 290 291 292 293 294 900 Next
sjschmidt93
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2518 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-25 23:42:45
July 25 2011 23:40 GMT
#5821
On July 25 2011 23:23 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 17:35 .Amon. wrote:
PvZ you should go for standard Collossus/Stalker/Zealot and a few Sentries until the Zerg has about 8 Corruptors. At that point you should switch into an Immortal HT Zealot combination with some archons to tank. Remember that Blink is almost always viable depending on how good you can multitask and micro.


Yea that was standard... like half a year ago. Zealots suck, and late game you'll want void rays (especially when corruptor numbers get large and brood lords come into play). While stalkers/sentry/immortal/HT/archon is great, it's a much more difficult composition to use than colossus/stalker/sentry. I'd stick with just colossus play especially if your opponent doesn't get infestors, add in void rays later and you'll have an unkillable deathball.


The Void Ray/Colossus deathball hasn't been used since the Infestor buff... what are you talking about?

Seems like the most common thing right now is mass, mass blink stalkers with sentry/archon/storm support (usually includes zealots when your gas broke after adding some templar)
My grandpa could've proxied better, and not only does he have arthritis, he's also dead. -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
July 25 2011 23:41 GMT
#5822
On July 26 2011 08:22 Fist wrote:
Has anyone ever experiment with not chronoboosting the probes at 11 and 13, but instead chrono a bit later and get gateway earlier? This will result in earlier warpgate.

Yep, you can also do the same thing with a FFE. You chrono a little later and get a blind 12 forge.
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
July 25 2011 23:47 GMT
#5823
On July 26 2011 08:22 Fist wrote:
Has anyone ever experiment with not chronoboosting the probes at 11 and 13, but instead chrono a bit later and get gateway earlier? This will result in earlier warpgate.

In other match ups, you want those probes out asap which is why you would want to spend your chrono boost as soon as possible rather than delaying them.

The difference between having 10 or 12 probes, compared to the difference of having 20 or 22 probes is not the same. Since we are not talking about cutting probe production, the difference made by cutting chrono boost is very minimal.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 26 2011 01:00 GMT
#5824
On July 26 2011 08:41 CecilSunkure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2011 08:22 Fist wrote:
Has anyone ever experiment with not chronoboosting the probes at 11 and 13, but instead chrono a bit later and get gateway earlier? This will result in earlier warpgate.

Yep, you can also do the same thing with a FFE. You chrono a little later and get a blind 12 forge.


??
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
July 26 2011 01:00 GMT
#5825
On July 25 2011 16:00 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 12:56 bankai wrote:
In PvP, I use the korean 3 stalker robo build and have 2 questions:

1) When I see the enemy probe putting a pylon down to ready a 4gate push, do I use my stalkers to attack the probe or destroy the proxy pylon?

2) I got beaten by someone on taldarem altar where I used this build, and he went 13 gate 17 gate, then CB'ed mass zealots and attacked my probe line. Although I could kite them with my zealots, I ran my probes away from his zealots, but eventually I lost so much mining time and my stalkers take awhile to kill the zealots (there was like 6 of them at least) that he just outmacroed me. What should I do to respond to this? Forge and cannon defense to stop him then tech up?? Sorry no replay saved so just asking this question in a typical situation


1) Obviously the probe, the probe can make more proxy pylons and it only takes 4 shots to kill it. Don't chase after it too far though.

2) Can't say for sure without replay, but it sounds like your micro is what's failing you.


Cool - thx 4 the advice.

Sorry, my poorly worded question. If I can rephrase Q2, if you are going 3 stalker robo, what should your reaction be to an opponent that:
1) Goes double gateway (e.g. 13 gate 15 gate) and chronos zealots?
2) Cannon rushes
3) Goes double gas implying a tech build (e.g. you scout them going 14 gas 18 gas)
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
July 26 2011 01:02 GMT
#5826
On July 26 2011 08:40 sjschmidt93 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 23:23 Anihc wrote:
On July 25 2011 17:35 .Amon. wrote:
PvZ you should go for standard Collossus/Stalker/Zealot and a few Sentries until the Zerg has about 8 Corruptors. At that point you should switch into an Immortal HT Zealot combination with some archons to tank. Remember that Blink is almost always viable depending on how good you can multitask and micro.


Yea that was standard... like half a year ago. Zealots suck, and late game you'll want void rays (especially when corruptor numbers get large and brood lords come into play). While stalkers/sentry/immortal/HT/archon is great, it's a much more difficult composition to use than colossus/stalker/sentry. I'd stick with just colossus play especially if your opponent doesn't get infestors, add in void rays later and you'll have an unkillable deathball.


The Void Ray/Colossus deathball hasn't been used since the Infestor buff... what are you talking about?

Seems like the most common thing right now is mass, mass blink stalkers with sentry/archon/storm support (usually includes zealots when your gas broke after adding some templar)


Also want to know - if you go for the Colossus/Stalker/Sentry (not sure about having zealots since they are useless with FF play??), then when zerg has infestors, what should you transition to?? Add HTs to your CSS ball?
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 26 2011 01:06 GMT
#5827
On July 26 2011 08:40 sjschmidt93 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 23:23 Anihc wrote:
On July 25 2011 17:35 .Amon. wrote:
PvZ you should go for standard Collossus/Stalker/Zealot and a few Sentries until the Zerg has about 8 Corruptors. At that point you should switch into an Immortal HT Zealot combination with some archons to tank. Remember that Blink is almost always viable depending on how good you can multitask and micro.


Yea that was standard... like half a year ago. Zealots suck, and late game you'll want void rays (especially when corruptor numbers get large and brood lords come into play). While stalkers/sentry/immortal/HT/archon is great, it's a much more difficult composition to use than colossus/stalker/sentry. I'd stick with just colossus play especially if your opponent doesn't get infestors, add in void rays later and you'll have an unkillable deathball.


The Void Ray/Colossus deathball hasn't been used since the Infestor buff... what are you talking about?

Seems like the most common thing right now is mass, mass blink stalkers with sentry/archon/storm support (usually includes zealots when your gas broke after adding some templar)


1. Original question mentioned a roach/hydra/bl/corruptor composition. No infestors.

2. I still use colossus/void ray, and I do quite fine even against infestors. I'll admit though that compositions with HT/archon is better for battling infestors. But...

3. Colossus/void ray is much much easier to use than stalker/HT in any scenario.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 26 2011 01:13 GMT
#5828
On July 26 2011 10:00 bankai wrote:
Sorry, my poorly worded question. If I can rephrase Q2, if you are going 3 stalker robo, what should your reaction be to an opponent that:
1) Goes double gateway (e.g. 13 gate 15 gate) and chronos zealots?
2) Cannon rushes
3) Goes double gas implying a tech build (e.g. you scout them going 14 gas 18 gas)


lol that's not a rephrase of Q2, that's 3 entirely different questions and not simple either :p (well.. ok 2 new questions and a generalization of your original question).

Again these aren't simple questions but I'll comment on them briefly.

1) If it's some sort of proxy, add your own 2nd gate and just match their zealot production while being slightly ahead on econ/tech. You can add a forge/cannon if necessary but it shouldn't be since 13/15 gate is kinda late. If it's not a proxy, then it sounds like the "adelscott pvp" build which is outdated and doesn't work if you have ok-ish micro with stalkers against zealots. Just spend extra chronos on stalkers instead of warpgate tech and you should be fine.

2) Really really depends on what kind of cannon rush and how late you scout it. Using probes, walling off, chronoing stalker asap, and getting your own forge/cannon are all valid responses depending on the situation.

3) Ok this is like a general question "how to play pvp." Can't answer it here.
PKEGH
Profile Joined July 2011
Brazil2 Posts
July 26 2011 01:28 GMT
#5829
Guys, i have one question.


Obs: I play on Bronze League

I play Zerg, how could i make a successful attack against a Protoss who makes like 60 cannons in just a base ?

Thanks for who answer ^___^


São Paulo
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 26 2011 01:30 GMT
#5830
On July 26 2011 08:40 sjschmidt93 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 23:23 Anihc wrote:
On July 25 2011 17:35 .Amon. wrote:
PvZ you should go for standard Collossus/Stalker/Zealot and a few Sentries until the Zerg has about 8 Corruptors. At that point you should switch into an Immortal HT Zealot combination with some archons to tank. Remember that Blink is almost always viable depending on how good you can multitask and micro.


Yea that was standard... like half a year ago. Zealots suck, and late game you'll want void rays (especially when corruptor numbers get large and brood lords come into play). While stalkers/sentry/immortal/HT/archon is great, it's a much more difficult composition to use than colossus/stalker/sentry. I'd stick with just colossus play especially if your opponent doesn't get infestors, add in void rays later and you'll have an unkillable deathball.


The Void Ray/Colossus deathball hasn't been used since the Infestor buff... what are you talking about?

Seems like the most common thing right now is mass, mass blink stalkers with sentry/archon/storm support (usually includes zealots when your gas broke after adding some templar)

It wasn't so much the infestor buff that caused the VR/colossus to become less common, it more had to do with zergs figuring out that if my opponent went for a robo immediately after stargate, then they will only be able to make colossus and void rays so if I can bypass the cannons (drops, nydus, etc.) then my opponent is super vulnerable. Colossus void is still a strong composition, it is just extremely difficult to find a time to begin/continue void ray production without being extremely vulnerable, as they don't really do that much in direct battles without large numbers.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
July 26 2011 01:32 GMT
#5831
On July 26 2011 10:13 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2011 10:00 bankai wrote:
Sorry, my poorly worded question. If I can rephrase Q2, if you are going 3 stalker robo, what should your reaction be to an opponent that:
1) Goes double gateway (e.g. 13 gate 15 gate) and chronos zealots?
2) Cannon rushes
3) Goes double gas implying a tech build (e.g. you scout them going 14 gas 18 gas)


lol that's not a rephrase of Q2, that's 3 entirely different questions and not simple either :p (well.. ok 2 new questions and a generalization of your original question).

Again these aren't simple questions but I'll comment on them briefly.

1) If it's some sort of proxy, add your own 2nd gate and just match their zealot production while being slightly ahead on econ/tech. You can add a forge/cannon if necessary but it shouldn't be since 13/15 gate is kinda late. If it's not a proxy, then it sounds like the "adelscott pvp" build which is outdated and doesn't work if you have ok-ish micro with stalkers against zealots. Just spend extra chronos on stalkers instead of warpgate tech and you should be fine.

2) Really really depends on what kind of cannon rush and how late you scout it. Using probes, walling off, chronoing stalker asap, and getting your own forge/cannon are all valid responses depending on the situation.

3) Ok this is like a general question "how to play pvp." Can't answer it here.


haha despite my generalisation and extra questions that probably broke the rules of this thread, thanks for your help
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 26 2011 01:32 GMT
#5832
On July 26 2011 10:28 PKEGH wrote:
Guys, i have one question.


Obs: I play on Bronze League

I play Zerg, how could i make a successful attack against a Protoss who makes like 60 cannons in just a base ?

Thanks for who answer ^___^



You don't. This is a scenario where your opponent cannot attack you, so you are safe to expand and gain an economic lead. Though that many is a bit ridiculous, brood lords out-range cannons so if your opponent has only cannons then go for those.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-26 01:50:59
July 26 2011 01:48 GMT
#5833
In PvZ I like to open 1gate expo into Stargate, and I have a void out by 8:00. I've run into trouble with people who 2 base rush mutas though. How should I change my scouting (I usually just send one probe till lings out then it dies; then voids around 8:30-9 to his base depending on how many ovies i run into) to see this coming better, and how should I react? I feel like once he has a huge flock of mutas around 11.30-12 there just isn't much I can do. Any help would be great!
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-26 01:50:42
July 26 2011 01:50 GMT
#5834
edit: delete
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
July 26 2011 04:33 GMT
#5835
On July 26 2011 10:48 See.Blue wrote:
In PvZ I like to open 1gate expo into Stargate, and I have a void out by 8:00. I've run into trouble with people who 2 base rush mutas though. How should I change my scouting (I usually just send one probe till lings out then it dies; then voids around 8:30-9 to his base depending on how many ovies i run into) to see this coming better, and how should I react? I feel like once he has a huge flock of mutas around 11.30-12 there just isn't much I can do. Any help would be great!

I think I need a replay to properly answer your question.

What do you do after your first void? Do you halt all Stargate production, keep producing voids, or switch to phoenixes?
Ninja_Bread
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States113 Posts
July 26 2011 07:18 GMT
#5836
On July 26 2011 10:48 See.Blue wrote:
In PvZ I like to open 1gate expo into Stargate, and I have a void out by 8:00. I've run into trouble with people who 2 base rush mutas though. How should I change my scouting (I usually just send one probe till lings out then it dies; then voids around 8:30-9 to his base depending on how many ovies i run into) to see this coming better, and how should I react? I feel like once he has a huge flock of mutas around 11.30-12 there just isn't much I can do. Any help would be great!


With your 1 gate if you can get out a stalker and send it fast enough, aka before speed, you can get a good read on his gas and lair timings and some free ling kills by microing the stalker.
Mang
Xaeldaren
Profile Joined June 2010
Ireland588 Posts
July 26 2011 09:49 GMT
#5837
Why do people build a Zealot out of their gateway first in PvP or PvT? I always skip it as and go straight to Stalker once the core is finished, I find minerals in the early game incredibly tight and I can't afford a hundred minerals away from a pylon, two probes or gas etc.
TwentyOneJN
Profile Joined October 2010
United States56 Posts
July 26 2011 10:43 GMT
#5838
How long was the SEA server down to update to Season 3?
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
July 26 2011 10:58 GMT
#5839
On July 26 2011 18:49 Xaeldaren wrote:
Why do people build a Zealot out of their gateway first in PvP or PvT? I always skip it as and go straight to Stalker once the core is finished, I find minerals in the early game incredibly tight and I can't afford a hundred minerals away from a pylon, two probes or gas etc.


You shouldn' be thinking in terms of individual units, but in terms of build order. Basically, your BO wants to meet certain requirements which can be expressed like this :
-maximize economy / tech
-don't lose to early pressure

In pvp, most build orders have a zealot first because of the need to survive 4 gate later on (you can't afford having a gateway not producing stuff) and also because it is safer vs 2 gate pressure or 2 gate proxy. However some builds have found a way to save money on that zealot to get extra stalkers out (3 stalker rush build), but that decision comes from analyzing the BO as a whole.

In pvt, the same logic applies. Zealot first will allow you to do a Zealot + Stalker + probe poke at approx. 5:00. It will also make your build more safe vs small barracks pushes (2 marauder + 1 marine + 3 scv for example). However there are a ton of stalker first openings that are viable, as long as you know what you are doing.

TL, DR;
As long as you are sure your build is safe, or are willing to take some risks, you can cut as many units as you want to boost your economy.
geiko.813 (EU)
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
July 26 2011 11:16 GMT
#5840
On July 26 2011 18:49 Xaeldaren wrote:
Why do people build a Zealot out of their gateway first in PvP or PvT? I always skip it as and go straight to Stalker once the core is finished, I find minerals in the early game incredibly tight and I can't afford a hundred minerals away from a pylon, two probes or gas etc.

Well in PvT, I like opening Zealot -> Sentry -> Stalker. The light mineral cost of the Sentry allows me to get my 3rd pylon before supply blocking myself.

I used to open Zealot -> Stalker -> Sentry, but I always had to throw down my 3rd pylon IMMEDIATELY ASAP !@#!@%#@%#$^ and still get supply blocked by half a second or less. With mineral stacking in the early game (which I don't do), you could probably overcome this.
Prev 1 290 291 292 293 294 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings102
davetesta35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft339
ByuN 255
RuFF_SC2 152
ViBE79
CosmosSc2 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2321
GuemChi 1374
Artosis 649
Sharp 166
910 57
MaD[AoV]19
Bale 18
Terrorterran 0
Dota 2
monkeys_forever373
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 741
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox711
Other Games
summit1g8827
Day[9].tv792
JimRising 609
C9.Mang0423
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick805
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP52
• EnkiAlexander 51
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo291
Other Games
• Day9tv792
• Shiphtur569
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 32m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.