• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:26
CEST 16:26
KST 23:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8434 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 282

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 280 281 282 283 284 900 Next
ShnAndrei
Profile Joined March 2011
Romania164 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 17:14:57
July 21 2011 17:13 GMT
#5621
On July 22 2011 01:50 Blazinghand wrote:

Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 01:20 ShnAndrei wrote:
My question is about mutas before banes. In what circumstances is this viable or possible in a ZvT? (I am a Terran player btw)

Maybe if the terran player is trying to do some sort of marauder hellion composition that's low on AA and try to attack before mutas? Faster mutas would clean it up. Against a terran player with marines and tanks, though, you usually want a few banelings along with your mutas to at least get the marines to run away. Marines tend to chew up mutas, and banelings tend to chew up marines, which is why you see ling/bling/muta to deal with marine/tank/medivac.


Would using this as a surprise factor, such that the zerg player will have much more mutalisks by skipping baneling tech (or much faster mutalisks - I don't know if it is possible), would this leave the Zerg player too exposed? Or is it viable?

Thanks for the first answer!

edit: what I mean to say it's 'is this something you may meet on ladder as a terran player?' or is it completely out of the question?
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 18:06:36
July 21 2011 18:06 GMT
#5622
On July 22 2011 02:00 Xaeldaren wrote:
What deals with mass Thor/Hellion as Protoss?

Voidrays, Immortals, HT, DT, Blink Stalkers (if used right). A lot of things can kill it. Just not Zealots

Oh and archons would also be strong.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 21 2011 18:22 GMT
#5623
On July 22 2011 02:13 ShnAndrei wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 01:50 Blazinghand wrote:

On July 22 2011 01:20 ShnAndrei wrote:
My question is about mutas before banes. In what circumstances is this viable or possible in a ZvT? (I am a Terran player btw)

Maybe if the terran player is trying to do some sort of marauder hellion composition that's low on AA and try to attack before mutas? Faster mutas would clean it up. Against a terran player with marines and tanks, though, you usually want a few banelings along with your mutas to at least get the marines to run away. Marines tend to chew up mutas, and banelings tend to chew up marines, which is why you see ling/bling/muta to deal with marine/tank/medivac.


Would using this as a surprise factor, such that the zerg player will have much more mutalisks by skipping baneling tech (or much faster mutalisks - I don't know if it is possible), would this leave the Zerg player too exposed? Or is it viable?

Thanks for the first answer!

edit: what I mean to say it's 'is this something you may meet on ladder as a terran player?' or is it completely out of the question?


I very rarely see mutas on the ladder without banelings. It's happened to me once or twice, but usually in weird situations. The main thing is that giving up, say, 3 mutas (300 gas) to get 10 banelings (250 gas for banes, 50 for a nest) is so tempting and effective that most players get at least some banes.

I've seen strats that really really mass mutas, enough to take down turrets-- this lets the zerg player get very strong map control, since he can snipe a turret or two if terran tries to move out, and terran has to keep most of his AA near his tanks. Until terran has like, ~2 thors, he can't push, buying time for the zerg 3rd to kick in and produce enough to stop the 2-base tank timing attack. As terran starts to move out, zerg morphs banelings, and transitions to a standard ling/bling/muta.

Almost all muta/ling strats include banelings in them. I've seen some muta/ling that gets infestors instead on some streams, but never played it.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 21 2011 18:59 GMT
#5624
On July 22 2011 02:11 fuzzytoad wrote:
In ZvZ, after opening 15 hatch 16 gas 15 pool, what is the proper response to a 6 pool?
Does it change for 7-8 pool?

How about 10 pool?

Not sure why you would see a 6 pool in ZvZ, but for any pool build at or before 10 supply generally just takes a build order win against a hatch first. That being said though, I suppose it is possible to hold if your opponent didn't pull the drones, and you aren't in close positions by canceling the hatch and defending with drones until your pool gets out. If your opponent made more than the initial 6, build a spine. You will be quite far behind, however, because of your opponent having a queen so early (recovering from a failed 6 pool in sc2 is so easy ), but I wouldn't be surprised if you could come back, because if someone is 6 pool-ing in ZvZ then that might be one of the only cases that you can bank on your opponent being bad.

note: The reason I'm bashing the idea of a 6 pool, is because 10 pool auto-kills hatch first just as well (so long as you scout your opponent and pull the drones with the attack) and your not quite as far behind if your opponent didn't hatch first, so I don't see the point in 6 pool-ing.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
blinkblue
Profile Joined May 2010
United States119 Posts
July 21 2011 19:01 GMT
#5625
I should probably just make a new thread for this and upload replays, but here it goes anyways...

I'm having a TON of problems in TvZ (Low masters level).

I've been going 1/1 expand with 4 hellions into 3-4 barracks 1 factory 1 starport 9-10 minute siege/stim marine/tank/medi timing push.

there are a couple problems I'm having:
1. as I push out, he can easily do a zergling runby at my natural. if i leave units behind, my push is really, really weak.

2. my push rarely does any damage. usually I can kill/deny his 3rd.. alright, great. but as soon as he gets his banelings and mutas out, my army gets WRECKED. if I try to kill 3rd, unsiege, and go back to my base, he can see me unsiege and then INSTANTLY runs in a ton of speedlings and my army gets completely fucked up.

what the hell am I supposed to do? I feel like if I leave my army there, its doing 0 damage (other than containing) and letting him build up an army for as long as he wants to, and then he CRUSHES my army. after he crushes my army, he can take a safe 3rd and i can't take a safe 3rd.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 21 2011 19:10 GMT
#5626
On July 22 2011 04:01 blinkblue wrote:
I should probably just make a new thread for this and upload replays, but here it goes anyways...

I'm having a TON of problems in TvZ (Low masters level).

I've been going 1/1 expand with 4 hellions into 3-4 barracks 1 factory 1 starport 9-10 minute siege/stim marine/tank/medi timing push.

there are a couple problems I'm having:
1. as I push out, he can easily do a zergling runby at my natural. if i leave units behind, my push is really, really weak.

2. my push rarely does any damage. usually I can kill/deny his 3rd.. alright, great. but as soon as he gets his banelings and mutas out, my army gets WRECKED. if I try to kill 3rd, unsiege, and go back to my base, he can see me unsiege and then INSTANTLY runs in a ton of speedlings and my army gets completely fucked up.

what the hell am I supposed to do? I feel like if I leave my army there, its doing 0 damage (other than containing) and letting him build up an army for as long as he wants to, and then he CRUSHES my army. after he crushes my army, he can take a safe 3rd and i can't take a safe 3rd.

As you have pointed out, it is difficult to provide deep advice with no replay, but here are some things from a zerg perspective:
Killing the third is a HUGE deal, I don't know what things are like from a terran's point of view but if by third dies to the timing push and my initial mutas don't kill about 20 scvs, then I just feel like tapping out there. 2 base terran is very threatening for a zerg, because at that point I can't do the 'go kill you' response because you've already entered turtle mode, so I'd have to wait for hive tech. If you're doing this style that centers around the 2 base timing, you should expect to lose your army and delay your third, because as long as your ready for the mutalisk counter, I think you're ahead. Another thing to note is: You might see your army get totally roflstomped, but keep in mind banelings are suicide units and most of the lings probably died to the siege tanks. That's not a lot of resources I have to replace, but it is a lot of larva I have to use to feel safe again, so even if I replace my third immediately then the saturation of it is delayed.

I hope this helped at all, I know it's not much but I just wanted to throw out a piece of zerg mindset.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
blinkblue
Profile Joined May 2010
United States119 Posts
July 21 2011 19:13 GMT
#5627
Yeah, 2 base vs 2 base should favor T, but it just seems like it ends up being 3 base vs 2 base when the zerg quickly crushes my army, i have 0 units, he is safe to get 3rd and drone up and can choose to put enough pressure on my 3rd that i cant defend it, ESPECIALLY if he splits up lings @ my 3rd and mutas @ my main.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 19:20:19
July 21 2011 19:19 GMT
#5628
On July 22 2011 04:13 blinkblue wrote:
Yeah, 2 base vs 2 base should favor T, but it just seems like it ends up being 3 base vs 2 base when the zerg quickly crushes my army, i have 0 units, he is safe to get 3rd and drone up and can choose to put enough pressure on my 3rd that i cant defend it, ESPECIALLY if he splits up lings @ my 3rd and mutas @ my main.


You should be getting a third up when you push. Also he can't have mutas and a big ground army and a third. If he has a fast third he will still be on hatch tech. If he is on lair tech and has a fast third, just kill him.

Anyway I suggest you open a thread with replays. I think what you think are the issues and what is really happening might be different.
saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
July 21 2011 19:36 GMT
#5629
On July 21 2011 20:08 saaaa wrote:
Which upgrades should i do first again the early game of the zerg on my bio units?


Armor or Attack +1?


once again... maybe it would be skipped...
harhar!
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany190 Posts
July 21 2011 19:47 GMT
#5630
Is it smart to to pressure when doing a 2 rax against toss? I feel like i lose more then I gain.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 19:49:53
July 21 2011 19:48 GMT
#5631
On July 22 2011 04:36 saaaa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2011 20:08 saaaa wrote:
Which upgrades should i do first again the early game of the zerg on my bio units?


Armor or Attack +1?


once again... maybe it would be skipped...


Usually you want +1 attack for your marines against zerg. You shoot quickly and benefit from the increased damage. +1 armor is also good, but not quite as good given that there are banelings, fungals and the like. Also, +1 attack lets you kill more zerglings before they close with you. Overall, weapon upgrades are good against zerg as terran.

On July 22 2011 04:47 harhar! wrote:
Is it smart to to pressure when doing a 2 rax against toss? I feel like i lose more then I gain.

Only if you can keep up your macro, producing units and scvs and the like in a timely fashion while microing. Also, if you don't have marauders, he may make stalkers and try to kite you, which is very very hard to deal with with just marines. If this happens, retreat to your bunker.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
July 21 2011 19:55 GMT
#5632
On July 22 2011 04:47 harhar! wrote:
Is it smart to to pressure when doing a 2 rax against toss? I feel like i lose more then I gain.

Close positions, yeah, but I'd say it's best to with concussive shells. Usually people do this to me if they feel my Nexus went down too early, and the smart Terrans pull back once they think WG has finished. I think the idea is to try to force a FF down from my early sentry, then once it dissipates push up and try to pick off the sentry(s). But once WG is finished it is a bad idea to stick around.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 21 2011 19:59 GMT
#5633
On July 22 2011 04:48 Blazinghand wrote:

Show nested quote +
On July 22 2011 04:47 harhar! wrote:
Is it smart to to pressure when doing a 2 rax against toss? I feel like i lose more then I gain.

Only if you can keep up your macro, producing units and scvs and the like in a timely fashion while microing. Also, if you don't have marauders, he may make stalkers and try to kite you, which is very very hard to deal with with just marines. If this happens, retreat to your bunker.


I'm assuming you're referring to 2 rax 1 reactor 1 tech lab expand build. Yes you should pressure with it, but mostly so that you punish greedy 1 gate FE builds from the protoss. You need to be careful, because you will get owned if the protoss is doing something like 3 gate expo. How to be careful?

1) Scout ahead with SCV, poke up ramp with just SCV to get an idea of unit count and possibly even gateway count. Don't just run in with your units.

2) Learn timings of protoss expand - if you push into the natural and discover no expansion yet, I would run back to your base immediately. As fast as you can.

3) Reaper scout.
Mementoss
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada2595 Posts
July 21 2011 20:01 GMT
#5634
Do infested terrans walk faster on creep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96xMwFVXw
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 21 2011 20:03 GMT
#5635
On July 22 2011 05:01 Mementoss wrote:
Do infested terrans walk faster on creep


They walk 30% faster, moving at a speed of about 1.3 instead of a speed of about 1.0
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
ApocAlypsE007
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Israel1007 Posts
July 21 2011 20:07 GMT
#5636
In PvT:
How to deal with an early Reaper when you do 16 Nexus in Shakuras?
I'm playing the game, the one that will take me to my end, i'm waiting for the rain, TO WASH-- WHO I AM!!!
Intricate1
Profile Joined May 2011
169 Posts
July 21 2011 20:23 GMT
#5637
I Need to work on my mechanics, what's a good TvX strat I can use as my solitary build order while I spam some ladder matches to Improve?
MaximusMInd
Profile Joined April 2011
23 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-21 20:39:40
July 21 2011 20:38 GMT
#5638
What is the standard transition after the 2 Rax Pressure FE (reactor on first rax construct another, push out with 1 marauder 5marines) if you know your opponent is not going a 4 gate/void ray build and are going the normal expand and building up a robo army or high templar
1. 3/4 Barracks Timing
2. Second Gas Timing
3. Factory Timing
4. Engineering Bay timing
What is the best way to scout to see if your opponent is going high templar or collusus. Is it a scan and if it is what time?



How many barracks + Starports are advised on 2 base vs a Protoss on two base with the standard colluses gateway army.

How many barracks + Starports (with ghosts) are advised on 3 base vs a Protoss on two base with the standard colluses high templar gateway army.







Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 21 2011 20:46 GMT
#5639
On July 22 2011 05:23 Intricate1 wrote:
I Need to work on my mechanics, what's a good TvX strat I can use as my solitary build order while I spam some ladder matches to Improve?


It's hard to find a non-cheese build that works in all matchups. I'd say, in general, a 1 rax Fast Expand with a couple bunkers depending on the MU/spawns is always good. Alternatively, if you want to 1-base it, you could use a (Wiki)3 Rax Stim (vs. Terran) style attack in every matchup.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
harhar!
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany190 Posts
July 21 2011 23:00 GMT
#5640
On July 22 2011 04:59 Anihc wrote:


I'm assuming you're referring to 2 rax 1 reactor 1 tech lab expand build. Yes you should pressure with it, but mostly so that you punish greedy 1 gate FE builds from the protoss. You need to be careful, because you will get owned if the protoss is doing something like 3 gate expo. How to be careful?

1) Scout ahead with SCV, poke up ramp with just SCV to get an idea of unit count and possibly even gateway count. Don't just run in with your units.

2) Learn timings of protoss expand - if you push into the natural and discover no expansion yet, I would run back to your base immediately. As fast as you can.

3) Reaper scout.


Thx for the answer.

Okay let me get this straight (ignoring the reaper for now):

I push when I have 2 Rauders and concussive just finishes.

CASE1: No nexus.
-> retreat immediatly
CASE2: Nexus warping
-> we can assume its some kind of 2gate, 3gate or 1 gate+ robo expand, probably not 1-gate, because that would be a pretty slow Nexus, so I poke the ramp, see if I could kill that in an open battle:
2.1: Too much stuff
-> retreat
2.2: Not so much stuff
-> ???
should I attack immediatly or pull ~5 SCVs? build bunker?
CASE3: Nexus done
-> 2.2

Prev 1 280 281 282 283 284 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1466
WardiTV961
OGKoka 239
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 239
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8077
Bisu 1951
Shuttle 1078
Horang2 703
Larva 498
Stork 421
EffOrt 412
BeSt 400
actioN 271
Mini 244
[ Show more ]
Mind 137
910 96
Zeus 92
Snow 74
Barracks 64
Mong 62
Shinee 51
hero 49
JYJ 41
ToSsGirL 36
Bale 31
sorry 31
Killer 26
Shine 25
Sexy 25
HiyA 20
Aegong 19
soO 18
zelot 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Free 10
Sacsri 9
Noble 7
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5344
qojqva2439
Dendi1132
febbydoto28
Counter-Strike
fl0m2683
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko465
Other Games
singsing2861
hiko988
B2W.Neo849
Livibee442
TKL 418
XBOCT269
Hui .221
Liquid`VortiX209
XaKoH 187
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 24
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 34
• iopq 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3139
• Jankos2211
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 35m
Replay Cast
8h 35m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 35m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 35m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.