• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:31
CEST 22:31
KST 05:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8663 users

PvZ InControl Coaching Session - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
ricochet
Profile Joined April 2010
United States5 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 00:26:44
January 11 2011 00:26 GMT
#121
I haven't kept up with the conversation in this thread, but I would like to thank Khaladas for posting this and iNcontroL for letting him do so. I'm a lower level player than Khaladas but I make a lot of the same mistakes and found iNcontroL's advice invaluable. There are a lot of things that may seem obvious like moving your army toward your base whenever you micro, and massing pylons to spend excess minerals that I simply never thought of.

I've been using a 3-gate robo build for a while, but I usually build more stalkers and immortals. This mass sentry opening seems a lot safer, and i'm gonna stick with it for a while and see how it goes.
Hane
Profile Joined November 2010
France210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 01:04:40
January 11 2011 01:03 GMT
#122
Nice coaching and games !
My english is pretty bad so i didn't understand all but i heard so much interesting advices !
In regard to the incontrol's games and the "theory coaching", he said that's you always have to pressure a zerg, but i saw him pressure zerg only with a quite late push (~10:30 on game2). Can you prevent him from hard dronning with this build ? *o*
Xanatoss
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany539 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 02:01:35
January 11 2011 01:40 GMT
#123
The most I have to thank for is not the general Build, not the little techniques you (iNcontroL) provided, not the Insights into the PvZ Matchup you gave, not even the "Shark Mode".
I knew about most of these concepts and things before that coaching session but somehow you put all pieces together in my mind and as a result all PvZ I play since that VOD feel completely different: I now feel confident facing Zerg. It is an overwhelmingly good feeling for me as competitive gamer to have such confidence into my play after I struggled against Z for so long.

I was up to write a long homage but Ghostcom sumed it up perfectly.

On January 11 2011 09:12 Ghostcom wrote:
I would just like to say a very humble thanks! Both to the OP and especially to Incontrol for allowing this. I learned a great deal from watching it, and have seen a great deal of improvement in my own PvZ by being more aware of what Incontrol is talking about when watching my own replays. From the bottom of my heart - thank you!
The chair slowly turns around. You see his face, but it can't be. He's not supposed to be here. Not him. Not a Protoss. Not THAT Protoss. MC says, "Hi Greg, long time no see." You back slowly out of the booth. But you can't. It's already forcefielded.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
January 11 2011 04:24 GMT
#124
Should you automatically make the robo every game, or wait until your shark mode confirms they didn't open muta?
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
dLKnighT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada735 Posts
January 11 2011 05:37 GMT
#125
Holy crap. I watched the whole thing and tried the build and worked amazing. After going 1-8, I'm undefeated against Zergs today. In general, my Chrono Boosting and probe-making has also gotten a lot better. If you haven't watched it and you're a 'Toss having trouble against Zergs, watch this. Seriously.
skyfox0124
Profile Joined August 2010
New Zealand1 Post
January 11 2011 11:24 GMT
#126
Anyway to download the whole thing?
cheers
Ghostcom
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark4783 Posts
January 11 2011 12:03 GMT
#127
On January 11 2011 10:03 Hane wrote:
Nice coaching and games !
My english is pretty bad so i didn't understand all but i heard so much interesting advices !
In regard to the incontrol's games and the "theory coaching", he said that's you always have to pressure a zerg, but i saw him pressure zerg only with a quite late push (~10:30 on game2). Can you prevent him from hard dronning with this build ? *o*


He pressures him throughout the game... The point is that you don't have to engage to apply pressure, just moving your army around the map will make it seem like you are about to attack and the zerg will have to make units, and not drones. That's the thing they are talking about when they say "sharkmode" and "probing the waters"...
wuddersup
Profile Joined July 2010
United States228 Posts
January 11 2011 18:53 GMT
#128
Holy crap Incontrol spams so loudly, I don't know how you played hearing that the whole time!
Hane
Profile Joined November 2010
France210 Posts
January 11 2011 19:45 GMT
#129
On January 12 2011 03:53 wuddersup wrote:
Holy crap Incontrol spams so loudly, I don't know how you played hearing that the whole time!

guess it was not Incontrol :o
SpinmovE
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada119 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 19:51:21
January 11 2011 19:51 GMT
#130
On January 12 2011 03:53 wuddersup wrote:
Holy crap Incontrol spams so loudly, I don't know how you played hearing that the whole time!


He uses a mechanical keyboard, its not a big deal. Plus he mutes his microphone if you play 1v1 against him for most of the game, unless he has something to say so you don't have to hear it if you don't want to.

I've had a lesson from with with 3 more coming up and I can honestly say if it wasn't for videos like this and MrBitters stream I would have never got a lesson. It's definitely a good idea on iNcontrol's part to let people stream and record their lessons with him.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 22:08:48
January 11 2011 22:04 GMT
#131
Solid build, incontrol. I've played around with this build a bit and I've done better against gas before hatch Zergs. I do have a quick question tho if you wouldn't mind helping out.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to get the forge so early. With that many sentries, you're basically untouchable against straight attacks, and by getting the robo before the forge, you can have an obs for detection about the same time that your cannon would finish, so delaying the forge doesn't pose a problem against burrow roaches.

I like the fast +1/+1 as much as the next person, but I find that starting the upgrades so early creates a gas crunch around the time your +1 armor finishes. To keep your upgrades on track, you need 275 gas for a twilight and +2 weapons, and this gas sink hits right when you're trying to transition to collosi which requires 200 gas for support bay, 200 gas for range, and 200 gas for your first collosus. If you want blink soon after the twilight council finishes, that's another 150 gas.
By delaying the forge a bit (I've been getting my forge after my first immortal, but I don't know what's best), you can get your obs and immortal quicker, allowing you to be a bit more aggressive and take out creep tumors earlier. Perhaps more importantly, you stagger the gas crunch where you're going for +2 and collosus tech around the same time.

Are you timing your collosus transition differently than I am, building a ton of zealots around this time, or am I missing something more obvious?
iChau
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1210 Posts
January 11 2011 23:01 GMT
#132
On January 11 2011 13:24 iamke55 wrote:
Should you automatically make the robo every game, or wait until your shark mode confirms they didn't open muta?


If you see a mass of roaches. If not, you can make other things, knowing that they're no burrow shenanigans. Of course against a decent zerg, he'll bury a zergling at each of the expansion so your expansions will be late if you don't have observers.

It's still good to get the robo though, very good scouting.
us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1688911/1/SaniShahin/ | http://teamenvy.net/
Shake_ please
Profile Joined July 2010
United States18 Posts
January 12 2011 08:07 GMT
#133
What about when they go mutas from the get-go? In my experience it is the case that mutas pop out and harass before you even have a chance to enter "shark mode," (iNcontroL said it was around 10 minutes) and while you're waiting for your units to pop out to enter aforementioned mode , the zerg can very easily delay attacking you until he gets mutas, thus giving you no scouting information. IMO it seems like with this build you find out about mutas way too late and you will end up having to stay in your base all the time or get run over. I mean, yeah you're adding 2 more gates so you're up to 6, but by that point the Z can get a critical mass of mutas, add tons of speedlings, and run over you like roflwhat.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
January 12 2011 08:21 GMT
#134
On January 12 2011 07:04 kcdc wrote:
Solid build, incontrol. I've played around with this build a bit and I've done better against gas before hatch Zergs. I do have a quick question tho if you wouldn't mind helping out.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to get the forge so early. With that many sentries, you're basically untouchable against straight attacks, and by getting the robo before the forge, you can have an obs for detection about the same time that your cannon would finish, so delaying the forge doesn't pose a problem against burrow roaches.

I like the fast +1/+1 as much as the next person, but I find that starting the upgrades so early creates a gas crunch around the time your +1 armor finishes. To keep your upgrades on track, you need 275 gas for a twilight and +2 weapons, and this gas sink hits right when you're trying to transition to collosi which requires 200 gas for support bay, 200 gas for range, and 200 gas for your first collosus. If you want blink soon after the twilight council finishes, that's another 150 gas.
By delaying the forge a bit (I've been getting my forge after my first immortal, but I don't know what's best), you can get your obs and immortal quicker, allowing you to be a bit more aggressive and take out creep tumors earlier. Perhaps more importantly, you stagger the gas crunch where you're going for +2 and collosus tech around the same time.

Are you timing your collosus transition differently than I am, building a ton of zealots around this time, or am I missing something more obvious?


You need a very early cannon for speedling runbys. Without it, you would be unable to leave your base to go pressure. Also there may be some roach/speedling all-ins that are much easier to hold if you have the cannon.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Creegz
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada354 Posts
January 12 2011 08:31 GMT
#135
He is quite a good player, I like how good this is.
Who is this guy? ^
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
January 12 2011 12:48 GMT
#136
On January 12 2011 17:21 iamke55 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2011 07:04 kcdc wrote:
Solid build, incontrol. I've played around with this build a bit and I've done better against gas before hatch Zergs. I do have a quick question tho if you wouldn't mind helping out.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to get the forge so early. With that many sentries, you're basically untouchable against straight attacks, and by getting the robo before the forge, you can have an obs for detection about the same time that your cannon would finish, so delaying the forge doesn't pose a problem against burrow roaches.

I like the fast +1/+1 as much as the next person, but I find that starting the upgrades so early creates a gas crunch around the time your +1 armor finishes. To keep your upgrades on track, you need 275 gas for a twilight and +2 weapons, and this gas sink hits right when you're trying to transition to collosi which requires 200 gas for support bay, 200 gas for range, and 200 gas for your first collosus. If you want blink soon after the twilight council finishes, that's another 150 gas.
By delaying the forge a bit (I've been getting my forge after my first immortal, but I don't know what's best), you can get your obs and immortal quicker, allowing you to be a bit more aggressive and take out creep tumors earlier. Perhaps more importantly, you stagger the gas crunch where you're going for +2 and collosus tech around the same time.

Are you timing your collosus transition differently than I am, building a ton of zealots around this time, or am I missing something more obvious?


You need a very early cannon for speedling runbys. Without it, you would be unable to leave your base to go pressure. Also there may be some roach/speedling all-ins that are much easier to hold if you have the cannon.


I suppose the cannon buys you a few extra seconds to warp in because they have to either kill the cannon or run all the way into your main. Still, I think I prefer going 4 gates, then robo, then forge. If you're really worried about an early runby, you can leave a zealot or a sentry back to wall off. I just find I never have enough gas to go straight to +2 after my +1 armor finishes.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
January 12 2011 13:08 GMT
#137
I use a very similar build to incontrol's and for me, the cannon is mainly for 2 things. First of all, it helps so much vs roach ling allins. I find that on some maps it's close to impossible to hold these allins without a cannon. Secondly, when you go to pressure you'll have peace of mind that you're relatively safe from a ling runby. Without the cannon, the zerg can stop mining at your natural with just a few speedlings.

Also, to kcdc, I know the gas crunch you're talking about, so I've developed a few solutions to balance out my resources. First, I delay the twilight council to a bit later around when my 3rd is going up. Thus, my +2 upgrade approximately starts when collosi range finishes. Secondly, I pump a lot of minerals into proxy pylons, zealot harass, and cannons to defend my 3rd, dumping these resources into something more useful.

In addition, I probably get my robo a bit slower than you and I find that the one robo doesn't help that much for aggression. You'll get stopped by burrowed roaches, but otherwise, the immortal comes really slow.
Moderator
iChau
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1210 Posts
January 12 2011 13:28 GMT
#138
On January 12 2011 17:07 ManShake wrote:
What about when they go mutas from the get-go? In my experience it is the case that mutas pop out and harass before you even have a chance to enter "shark mode," (iNcontroL said it was around 10 minutes) and while you're waiting for your units to pop out to enter aforementioned mode , the zerg can very easily delay attacking you until he gets mutas, thus giving you no scouting information. IMO it seems like with this build you find out about mutas way too late and you will end up having to stay in your base all the time or get run over. I mean, yeah you're adding 2 more gates so you're up to 6, but by that point the Z can get a critical mass of mutas, add tons of speedlings, and run over you like roflwhat.


You can easily move out at 9 minutes.

If he has a lot of speedlings and a couple of crawlers, then he's aiming for mutas.
Everytime you pressure from 9 minutes and onwards, you delay his mutalisks as he is forced to keep creating speedlings + spine crawlers or lose.

If you see a lot of zerglings early game when your expo is near completion, he's usually going mutalisks. You can precede to throw down 2 gateways and finish them off with a 6 gate +1 push.

Remember that mutalisks are weak in straight combat, but the zerg needs ALL his units to beat your push.
us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1688911/1/SaniShahin/ | http://teamenvy.net/
Rabbitmaster
Profile Joined August 2010
1357 Posts
January 12 2011 13:39 GMT
#139
On January 06 2011 16:03 riboflavin wrote:
I am watching now to see what I can learn. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I hope that you got the 'okay' from InControl before posting this. Please don't take my comments too harshly or create a whole sub debate on what I am about to say(I am not trying to thread crap or anything), but he might view his coaching and the tips he shared with you his IP. Rebroadcasting that without his permission is, at minimum, BM.

He seems a cool enough guy and all, so I'm sure it wouldn't even be a a big deal to him. But that is all the more reason to check with him first if you hadn't already!


I think this type of VODs are the best advertising there is for incontrol/other coaches... I know that atleast i would never have considered paying for sc2 lessons before seeing one of these videos. After seeing some of them i am atleast entertaining the idea
God is dead.
Stil
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom206 Posts
January 12 2011 14:01 GMT
#140
Cheers for sharing, I saw Incontrol coaching in MrBitter's stream last night - and he is just amazing (being good at SC and being good at coaching are too different skills )
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O142
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason417
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 608
ZZZero.O 142
Zeus 65
soO 55
Hyun 44
Dota 2
qojqva2212
canceldota40
League of Legends
Doublelift1077
Counter-Strike
fl0m5712
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4115
Liquid`Hasu656
Other Games
summit1g5030
FrodaN1249
KnowMe336
ToD251
Pyrionflax212
420jenkins193
Livibee175
QueenE104
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick777
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 105
• Hupsaiya 49
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 33
• FirePhoenix4
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1834
Other Games
• imaqtpie863
• Shiphtur711
• Scarra1
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 29m
Patches Events
18h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 29m
OSC
1d 2h
OSC
1d 15h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.