• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:18
CEST 12:18
KST 19:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9125 users

PvZ InControl Coaching Session - Page 9

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 13 Next All
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
January 14 2011 15:43 GMT
#161
On January 14 2011 22:20 Garth wrote:
Thank you for posting this, my PvZ now has direction and im winning more than 10% of my PvZ's now (at 2700 diamond.)

One concern I had was that there seems to be a complete lack of earlyish game pressure and I'm worried that when I start shark mode he will just have droned so hard and all it takes is a couple lings and 3 spinecrawlers to defend vs my, at the time, sentry- heavy army.

Am I overestimating the zerg's droning abilities vs my probe production?


That's the weakness of the sentry expand. It's a very strong defensive build that has solid macro, but you don't have enough muscle to push through even smaller forces of roaches and spine crawlers until you have collosi+range. On a map like LT, Zerg can get 3 spines at his nat and a handful of zerglings and then rush creep out to the tower to move his spines up and take the gold super early. He then builds a small force of roaches and defends in the open area with his spines and P can't really do anything about it.

Zerg can respond to sentry expanding by being very greedy economically. The other good option Z has against sentry expanding is drops which make sentries almost useless.
Tristan107
Profile Joined January 2011
France24 Posts
January 14 2011 18:15 GMT
#162
Hi Khaladas,

the video is great, but the replay links don't work...

ReplayFU says : "no data to parse" for each link...

Could u upload them to a site like "http://www.gamereplays.org" ?
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13426 Posts
January 14 2011 18:42 GMT
#163
On January 15 2011 00:43 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2011 22:20 Garth wrote:
Thank you for posting this, my PvZ now has direction and im winning more than 10% of my PvZ's now (at 2700 diamond.)

One concern I had was that there seems to be a complete lack of earlyish game pressure and I'm worried that when I start shark mode he will just have droned so hard and all it takes is a couple lings and 3 spinecrawlers to defend vs my, at the time, sentry- heavy army.

Am I overestimating the zerg's droning abilities vs my probe production?


That's the weakness of the sentry expand. It's a very strong defensive build that has solid macro, but you don't have enough muscle to push through even smaller forces of roaches and spine crawlers until you have collosi+range. On a map like LT, Zerg can get 3 spines at his nat and a handful of zerglings and then rush creep out to the tower to move his spines up and take the gold super early. He then builds a small force of roaches and defends in the open area with his spines and P can't really do anything about it.

Zerg can respond to sentry expanding by being very greedy economically. The other good option Z has against sentry expanding is drops which make sentries almost useless.


I've been finding the same thing but what I have started to do is once I get 5 sentries out and a zealot. I expand then warp in a few stalkers and a zealot, then I get another 3 sentries on the next cool down (or 2 depending on my gas - in plat no perfect macro here). Once I have these units I find I can still be defensive early on and am able to poke in to check on the Zerg as well. Being able to further warp in the sentries later on to get up to a larger number means I can choose to forego them or still let them build energy in the early mid game.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
wishbones
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada2600 Posts
January 14 2011 19:00 GMT
#164
Thanks a lot for this, all the tips and small things, are very essential, and its just great to have it being said. Its a good thing to keep in mind at all times. Very nice.
joined TL.net in 2006 (aka GMer) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=41944#2
herrmus
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden144 Posts
January 14 2011 19:12 GMT
#165
still want to see those replays
Tristan107
Profile Joined January 2011
France24 Posts
January 14 2011 19:13 GMT
#166
Yeah, me too !
REM.ca
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada354 Posts
January 14 2011 19:23 GMT
#167
My first time watching iNcontrol coaching. In the past I have not been a fan of his analysis of the game but I gotta say I was quite impressed at his skills as a teacher. He is very pedagogical.
I have a palm permanently stuck to my face yo.
Cryogenic
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada75 Posts
January 14 2011 19:31 GMT
#168
On January 15 2011 04:23 REM.ca wrote:
My first time watching iNcontrol coaching. In the past I have not been a fan of his analysis of the game but I gotta say I was quite impressed at his skills as a teacher. He is very pedagogical.


+1

Mad props to Khaladas for posting this and iNcontrol for coaching - Not only has my PvZ gotten better (even though it's my best matchup personally) but I'm a new fan of iNcontrol. Well done guys!
"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." - Nora Roberts .:| Scarlett |:.
Khaladas
Profile Joined May 2010
United States223 Posts
January 14 2011 20:32 GMT
#169
Ok I updated the original post to and put the replay pack on easy-share, hopefully you will have an easier time than before.

time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a bananna
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
January 14 2011 20:33 GMT
#170
Hey Khaladas, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks to Incontrol as well.

Im a 2300 point master leaguer, and have been using this build quite frequently on the ladder. And for the most part its quite nice.

However, I feel like like there are quite a couple things zerg can do to throw off your build here.

1) gas steal
- limits sentry production obviously
- makes the "magical number" of 8 sentries nearly impossible to get by the 40ish supply mark where you should be expanding

2) block your cybernetics core wall in (delays early sentries, throws off your build)
- delays sentry production
- delays wall in, making ling run by more of a threat

more importantly a fast tech to mutas by the zerg player, even if you sense it coming by seeing many speedlings, can harass you in your base endlessly.

I've noticed that many of the zergs I lose to choose to do this. They will see my sentry heavy build, and instead of over-commiting with lings, they allow me to do my "shark mode" (taking towers, picking off overlords, poking/prodding in general) knowing that I cannot outright kill them myself.

There have been numerous games where they let me expand, and simply drone like crazy even when im running around the map taking towers, killing fresh creep tumors. They've got 3 spines up and ling production is quick, from their point of view, I don't feel in danger either.

Once their lair finishes, they explode with a decent number of mutas rallied straight to my base and I have nothing to stop it.

I suppose I should time myself for a 6 gate warpgate timing push, but mutas will be out on the way there. They will kill your probes first, shutting down your warpgate reinforcements, and then mass speedling spinecrawler for defence, forcing me to gg.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help. (cannot provide a replay at this time, but I'm at the level where following a build order is not a problem.)
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
Khaladas
Profile Joined May 2010
United States223 Posts
January 14 2011 20:43 GMT
#171
On January 15 2011 05:33 QTIP. wrote:
Hey Khaladas, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks to Incontrol as well.

Im a 2300 point master leaguer, and have been using this build quite frequently on the ladder. And for the most part its quite nice.

However, I feel like like there are quite a couple things zerg can do to throw off your build here.

1) gas steal
- limits sentry production obviously
- makes the "magical number" of 8 sentries nearly impossible to get by the 40ish supply mark where you should be expanding

2) block your cybernetics core wall in (delays early sentries, throws off your build)
- delays sentry production
- delays wall in, making ling run by more of a threat

more importantly a fast tech to mutas by the zerg player, even if you sense it coming by seeing many speedlings, can harass you in your base endlessly.

I've noticed that many of the zergs I lose to choose to do this. They will see my sentry heavy build, and instead of over-commiting with lings, they allow me to do my "shark mode" (taking towers, picking off overlords, poking/prodding in general) knowing that I cannot outright kill them myself.

There have been numerous games where they let me expand, and simply drone like crazy even when im running around the map taking towers, killing fresh creep tumors. They've got 3 spines up and ling production is quick, from their point of view, I don't feel in danger either.

Once their lair finishes, they explode with a decent number of mutas rallied straight to my base and I have nothing to stop it.

I suppose I should time myself for a 6 gate warpgate timing push, but mutas will be out on the way there. They will kill your probes first, shutting down your warpgate reinforcements, and then mass speedling spinecrawler for defence, forcing me to gg.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help. (cannot provide a replay at this time, but I'm at the level where following a build order is not a problem.)


One question on this, when you are in shark mode and you see spinecrawlers and lots of lings, what are you doing in response?

Incontrol can back me up on this, but he definitely advocates going blink stalkers vs mutas. So after seeing spines and lots of lings, even absent of any other scouting from an observer i'd feel pretty confident he was going mutas. From there i'd probably do just as you mention above and look for a 6 gate timing push and just put a ton of pressure to slow them down. You may even need to think about building a cannon or two in your mineral line just to stop them from killing your econ while they have you at bay with spines/lings.

From what I gathered, Shark mode is for when you are building up and not ready to attack. Once you have a force, you are in a relentless pressure/attacking mode. So in this scenario, you can shark until you get 6 gates but from there it's time to press hard because you have a window where he won't have a critical mass of mutas yet.
time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a bananna
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
January 14 2011 20:46 GMT
#172
On January 15 2011 05:43 Khaladas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 15 2011 05:33 QTIP. wrote:
Hey Khaladas, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks to Incontrol as well.

Im a 2300 point master leaguer, and have been using this build quite frequently on the ladder. And for the most part its quite nice.

However, I feel like like there are quite a couple things zerg can do to throw off your build here.

1) gas steal
- limits sentry production obviously
- makes the "magical number" of 8 sentries nearly impossible to get by the 40ish supply mark where you should be expanding

2) block your cybernetics core wall in (delays early sentries, throws off your build)
- delays sentry production
- delays wall in, making ling run by more of a threat

more importantly a fast tech to mutas by the zerg player, even if you sense it coming by seeing many speedlings, can harass you in your base endlessly.

I've noticed that many of the zergs I lose to choose to do this. They will see my sentry heavy build, and instead of over-commiting with lings, they allow me to do my "shark mode" (taking towers, picking off overlords, poking/prodding in general) knowing that I cannot outright kill them myself.

There have been numerous games where they let me expand, and simply drone like crazy even when im running around the map taking towers, killing fresh creep tumors. They've got 3 spines up and ling production is quick, from their point of view, I don't feel in danger either.

Once their lair finishes, they explode with a decent number of mutas rallied straight to my base and I have nothing to stop it.

I suppose I should time myself for a 6 gate warpgate timing push, but mutas will be out on the way there. They will kill your probes first, shutting down your warpgate reinforcements, and then mass speedling spinecrawler for defence, forcing me to gg.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help. (cannot provide a replay at this time, but I'm at the level where following a build order is not a problem.)


One question on this, when you are in shark mode and you see spinecrawlers and lots of lings, what are you doing in response?

Incontrol can back me up on this, but he definitely advocates going blink stalkers vs mutas. So after seeing spines and lots of lings, even absent of any other scouting from an observer i'd feel pretty confident he was going mutas. From there i'd probably do just as you mention above and look for a 6 gate timing push and just put a ton of pressure to slow them down. You may even need to think about building a cannon or two in your mineral line just to stop them from killing your econ while they have you at bay with spines/lings.

From what I gathered, Shark mode is for when you are building up and not ready to attack. Once you have a force, you are in a relentless pressure/attacking mode. So in this scenario, you can shark until you get 6 gates but from there it's time to press hard because you have a window where he won't have a critical mass of mutas yet.



Thanks Khala.

Yeah this seems like the most appropriate response. I suppose when I sense the mutas I should research blink asap. After all, my twilight council should be down anyway to ensure that my upgrades are on track.

One more thing, what do you think about the zerg gas steal early on? I feel like it just straight up kills the build by halving the number of sentries you can get.

Thanks again.
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
January 14 2011 21:48 GMT
#173
On January 15 2011 05:33 QTIP. wrote:
Hey Khaladas, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks to Incontrol as well.

Im a 2300 point master leaguer, and have been using this build quite frequently on the ladder. And for the most part its quite nice.

However, I feel like like there are quite a couple things zerg can do to throw off your build here.

1) gas steal
- limits sentry production obviously
- makes the "magical number" of 8 sentries nearly impossible to get by the 40ish supply mark where you should be expanding

2) block your cybernetics core wall in (delays early sentries, throws off your build)
- delays sentry production
- delays wall in, making ling run by more of a threat

more importantly a fast tech to mutas by the zerg player, even if you sense it coming by seeing many speedlings, can harass you in your base endlessly.

I've noticed that many of the zergs I lose to choose to do this. They will see my sentry heavy build, and instead of over-commiting with lings, they allow me to do my "shark mode" (taking towers, picking off overlords, poking/prodding in general) knowing that I cannot outright kill them myself.

There have been numerous games where they let me expand, and simply drone like crazy even when im running around the map taking towers, killing fresh creep tumors. They've got 3 spines up and ling production is quick, from their point of view, I don't feel in danger either.

Once their lair finishes, they explode with a decent number of mutas rallied straight to my base and I have nothing to stop it.

I suppose I should time myself for a 6 gate warpgate timing push, but mutas will be out on the way there. They will kill your probes first, shutting down your warpgate reinforcements, and then mass speedling spinecrawler for defence, forcing me to gg.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help. (cannot provide a replay at this time, but I'm at the level where following a build order is not a problem.)


1) Don't worry about it about gas steals. You don't need 8-9 sentries, it's not some magic number of sentries. I would say you need at least 5 or so however.
2) Bring 2 probes to make your core so you can quickly chase away any blocking drones.

2-base mutaling generally comes around 9-10 mins. Your 6-gate should hit just before that and it is just not possible to defend with just lings and crawlers on most maps (LT is an exception b/c of the easily defendable natural). So it sounds like you are doing something wrong here but w/ no replay I cannot offer any specific advice.

Also pushing with just a zealot and your sentries isn't a bad idea at all. You at least want to poke in and see if he has a bunch of crawlers up or roaches. If he's relying on mostly lings you can definitely do some damage with just your zealot and sentries, so don't be afraid to push.
Stirlitz
Profile Joined September 2010
Greece28 Posts
January 14 2011 23:53 GMT
#174
First of all, really helpful post... Also inControl seems like a really awsome guy whom you can learn from...

One thing about Khaladas' lack of aggression: I do think that it was partly due to him playing against incontrol, lol... I'm playing a match or two against a friend of mine who was like rank 2 diamond or something and now working up in master's league, and just because I knew who he was I always ended up playing worse against him that I play my average matches...

Incredible video though... I'd love to see more videos like this one!
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
January 15 2011 00:11 GMT
#175
On January 15 2011 05:46 QTIP. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 15 2011 05:43 Khaladas wrote:
On January 15 2011 05:33 QTIP. wrote:
Hey Khaladas, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks to Incontrol as well.

Im a 2300 point master leaguer, and have been using this build quite frequently on the ladder. And for the most part its quite nice.

However, I feel like like there are quite a couple things zerg can do to throw off your build here.

1) gas steal
- limits sentry production obviously
- makes the "magical number" of 8 sentries nearly impossible to get by the 40ish supply mark where you should be expanding

2) block your cybernetics core wall in (delays early sentries, throws off your build)
- delays sentry production
- delays wall in, making ling run by more of a threat

more importantly a fast tech to mutas by the zerg player, even if you sense it coming by seeing many speedlings, can harass you in your base endlessly.

I've noticed that many of the zergs I lose to choose to do this. They will see my sentry heavy build, and instead of over-commiting with lings, they allow me to do my "shark mode" (taking towers, picking off overlords, poking/prodding in general) knowing that I cannot outright kill them myself.

There have been numerous games where they let me expand, and simply drone like crazy even when im running around the map taking towers, killing fresh creep tumors. They've got 3 spines up and ling production is quick, from their point of view, I don't feel in danger either.

Once their lair finishes, they explode with a decent number of mutas rallied straight to my base and I have nothing to stop it.

I suppose I should time myself for a 6 gate warpgate timing push, but mutas will be out on the way there. They will kill your probes first, shutting down your warpgate reinforcements, and then mass speedling spinecrawler for defence, forcing me to gg.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help. (cannot provide a replay at this time, but I'm at the level where following a build order is not a problem.)


One question on this, when you are in shark mode and you see spinecrawlers and lots of lings, what are you doing in response?

Incontrol can back me up on this, but he definitely advocates going blink stalkers vs mutas. So after seeing spines and lots of lings, even absent of any other scouting from an observer i'd feel pretty confident he was going mutas. From there i'd probably do just as you mention above and look for a 6 gate timing push and just put a ton of pressure to slow them down. You may even need to think about building a cannon or two in your mineral line just to stop them from killing your econ while they have you at bay with spines/lings.

From what I gathered, Shark mode is for when you are building up and not ready to attack. Once you have a force, you are in a relentless pressure/attacking mode. So in this scenario, you can shark until you get 6 gates but from there it's time to press hard because you have a window where he won't have a critical mass of mutas yet.



Thanks Khala.

Yeah this seems like the most appropriate response. I suppose when I sense the mutas I should research blink asap. After all, my twilight council should be down anyway to ensure that my upgrades are on track.

One more thing, what do you think about the zerg gas steal early on? I feel like it just straight up kills the build by halving the number of sentries you can get.

Thanks again.


Don't stress the gas steal. Know how far away his lings are from your base. In a lot of cases, you can afford to pull your first zealot from your ramp to kill the extractor. Otherwise, you can build 2 zealots at the start. Not a big deal. Also, if he's doing the build/cancel/build thing so that it never finishes, hit the extractor with a zealot plus a probe or 2. I believe a zealot and a probe DPS enough that you can kill the extractor while it's building. If 1 probe isn't enough, 2 certainly is.

Also, 8 sentries isn't a big deal. The resources just work out with the gas timing that you have 800 gas to burn through. If the 2nd gas is a little later, you'll wind up with 6 or so sentries and an extra zealot and stalker or something at the same timing. 6 sentries gives you plenty of forcefields to push around roaches and lings.

Also remember that there are 3-gate expand variants that run off of 1 gas that allow you much better aggression. Try going zealot sentry off of 1 gas and expanding behind a push. Zealot sentry is great for getting across the map because it's strong against speedlings. Then you can warp in stalkers at Z's base as you attack to deal with roaches and spines.

The goal isn't to get 8 sentries; it's to get your natural up on relatively even terms with Z while having enough sentries to combat roaches and lings. There's a lot of ways to get there.
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
January 15 2011 03:49 GMT
#176
This is kind of off-topic but incontrols creep spread is sick.

About gas steal when I scout a pool 13 or sooner and they gas steal me, i throw down a forge, and a couple of cannons to expand sooner because roaches are coming, but not enough to break 2 well placed cannons a couple zealots and the 2 or 3 stalkers you can have off one gas. whatever you do, dont build a sentry off one gas or you auto-lose to early roaches.
Khaladas
Profile Joined May 2010
United States223 Posts
January 15 2011 04:00 GMT
#177
On January 15 2011 12:49 Jayrod wrote:
This is kind of off-topic but incontrols creep spread is sick.

About gas steal when I scout a pool 13 or sooner and they gas steal me, i throw down a forge, and a couple of cannons to expand sooner because roaches are coming, but not enough to break 2 well placed cannons a couple zealots and the 2 or 3 stalkers you can have off one gas. whatever you do, dont build a sentry off one gas or you auto-lose to early roaches.



What's crazy is his main is Protoss and he's super strong with the other 2 off races.

This just in, Pro players are good.
time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a bananna
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
January 15 2011 04:30 GMT
#178
Gas steal: instead of doing 1 zealot 8 sentries, start with like 3 zealots and 6 sentries instead. See how incontrol delays his 4th gas until he's ready to use a robo? Just take it earlier to compensate for the gas steal and then you're back to 8 sentries again.

Drone blocking your core: either put it somewhere else or send a 2nd probe.

Muta: If you can scout the spine crawlers by sneaking a probe behind your shark mode, you can skip the robo and go 6 gates instead. It's almost impossible for a muta build to hold off 6 gate with +1 weapons.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
January 15 2011 04:42 GMT
#179
On January 15 2011 09:11 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 15 2011 05:46 QTIP. wrote:
On January 15 2011 05:43 Khaladas wrote:
On January 15 2011 05:33 QTIP. wrote:
Hey Khaladas, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks to Incontrol as well.

Im a 2300 point master leaguer, and have been using this build quite frequently on the ladder. And for the most part its quite nice.

However, I feel like like there are quite a couple things zerg can do to throw off your build here.

1) gas steal
- limits sentry production obviously
- makes the "magical number" of 8 sentries nearly impossible to get by the 40ish supply mark where you should be expanding

2) block your cybernetics core wall in (delays early sentries, throws off your build)
- delays sentry production
- delays wall in, making ling run by more of a threat

more importantly a fast tech to mutas by the zerg player, even if you sense it coming by seeing many speedlings, can harass you in your base endlessly.

I've noticed that many of the zergs I lose to choose to do this. They will see my sentry heavy build, and instead of over-commiting with lings, they allow me to do my "shark mode" (taking towers, picking off overlords, poking/prodding in general) knowing that I cannot outright kill them myself.

There have been numerous games where they let me expand, and simply drone like crazy even when im running around the map taking towers, killing fresh creep tumors. They've got 3 spines up and ling production is quick, from their point of view, I don't feel in danger either.

Once their lair finishes, they explode with a decent number of mutas rallied straight to my base and I have nothing to stop it.

I suppose I should time myself for a 6 gate warpgate timing push, but mutas will be out on the way there. They will kill your probes first, shutting down your warpgate reinforcements, and then mass speedling spinecrawler for defence, forcing me to gg.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help. (cannot provide a replay at this time, but I'm at the level where following a build order is not a problem.)


One question on this, when you are in shark mode and you see spinecrawlers and lots of lings, what are you doing in response?

Incontrol can back me up on this, but he definitely advocates going blink stalkers vs mutas. So after seeing spines and lots of lings, even absent of any other scouting from an observer i'd feel pretty confident he was going mutas. From there i'd probably do just as you mention above and look for a 6 gate timing push and just put a ton of pressure to slow them down. You may even need to think about building a cannon or two in your mineral line just to stop them from killing your econ while they have you at bay with spines/lings.

From what I gathered, Shark mode is for when you are building up and not ready to attack. Once you have a force, you are in a relentless pressure/attacking mode. So in this scenario, you can shark until you get 6 gates but from there it's time to press hard because you have a window where he won't have a critical mass of mutas yet.



Thanks Khala.

Yeah this seems like the most appropriate response. I suppose when I sense the mutas I should research blink asap. After all, my twilight council should be down anyway to ensure that my upgrades are on track.

One more thing, what do you think about the zerg gas steal early on? I feel like it just straight up kills the build by halving the number of sentries you can get.

Thanks again.


Don't stress the gas steal. Know how far away his lings are from your base. In a lot of cases, you can afford to pull your first zealot from your ramp to kill the extractor. Otherwise, you can build 2 zealots at the start. Not a big deal. Also, if he's doing the build/cancel/build thing so that it never finishes, hit the extractor with a zealot plus a probe or 2. I believe a zealot and a probe DPS enough that you can kill the extractor while it's building. If 1 probe isn't enough, 2 certainly is.

Also, 8 sentries isn't a big deal. The resources just work out with the gas timing that you have 800 gas to burn through. If the 2nd gas is a little later, you'll wind up with 6 or so sentries and an extra zealot and stalker or something at the same timing. 6 sentries gives you plenty of forcefields to push around roaches and lings.

Also remember that there are 3-gate expand variants that run off of 1 gas that allow you much better aggression. Try going zealot sentry off of 1 gas and expanding behind a push. Zealot sentry is great for getting across the map because it's strong against speedlings. Then you can warp in stalkers at Z's base as you attack to deal with roaches and spines.

The goal isn't to get 8 sentries; it's to get your natural up on relatively even terms with Z while having enough sentries to combat roaches and lings. There's a lot of ways to get there.



I like this point kcdc. Thanks!

I definitely need to look at being a little more flexible and realizing that 8 sentries isn't the do-or-die of this strategy.

thanks to all those who replied to my post as well.

All very useful information. ^^


"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
GiygaS
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada1043 Posts
January 15 2011 05:48 GMT
#180
I had a lesson with InControl yesterday on PvT, and I can't explain how helpful it was. I've played one PvT on ladder since then, and I ROLLED him. Where I had 4 bases on his 2, thanks InControl!
AKA gigyas, gigas, giygas khan, giyga khan, giyga...
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM402
IndyStarCraft 49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 402
Lowko192
IndyStarCraft 49
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 3652
Stork 2513
Horang2 412
Jaedong 385
Soulkey 380
Zeus 369
Larva 265
Mini 244
Soma 220
BeSt 155
[ Show more ]
sorry 81
Mind 72
ZerO 65
Hyun 57
Pusan 56
Sexy 53
Last 42
Shinee 32
soO 32
scan(afreeca) 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
Sacsri 10
zelot 9
Dota 2
XcaliburYe311
canceldota52
League of Legends
JimRising 442
Other Games
gofns37259
singsing1965
Coldzera 692
Happy329
byalli232
Pyrionflax210
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 28
• StrangeGG 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV284
• lizZardDota2242
League of Legends
• Jankos3463
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 42m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 42m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 42m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.