• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:29
CEST 20:29
KST 03:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon109
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10040 users

[G] The Art Of ZvT - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
danielsan
Profile Joined December 2010
Romania399 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-13 20:23:17
December 13 2010 20:22 GMT
#21
On December 14 2010 03:58 heyyouyesyou wrote:
I might be a terran but your guide helped me understand zerg more and how to cue for specific responses.

i find myself in the same position.

guide is awesome cause it underlines some of the core ideas in ZvT. kudos to you, topic opener
Lazarus Jack
Profile Joined April 2010
13 Posts
December 13 2010 20:26 GMT
#22
This is a really great guide, the unit comp and build order response pictures are especially helpful. Thanks for sharing and keep it up
Wait... what? I am so confused
SubtleArt
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
2710 Posts
December 13 2010 20:28 GMT
#23
Nice guide :D Why isn't this spotlighted??
Morrow on ZvP: "I'm not very confident in general vs Protoss because of the imbalance (Yes its imbalanced, get over it)."
stk01001
Profile Joined September 2007
United States786 Posts
December 13 2010 20:28 GMT
#24
Great guide... agree with pretty much everything in it. This guide truly does define "standard" ZvT play nowadays.. and he's 100% right about 15 hatching whenever you can.

One thing I'd add is stressing the importance of using mutas to pick off tanks against marine/tank/medivac which seems to be the most popular composition nowadays. I'd say at least 60-70% of my ZvT is against pure marine/siege tank/medivac (thank you foxer) and being able to pick off tanks with mutas to keep tank numbers low is so key to winning IMO. Most terrans at some point will leave stray tanks out in the open with little/no marine support and with a nice muta ball it's fairly easy to pick them off with good micro. You should always be able to pick off some tanks unless the terran is really, really good. Sometimes if the terran has bad micro I can actually pick off ALL of his siege tanks while he's pusing down to my natural and then it's so LOL to clean up with ling/baneling.

It's also very important when facing marine/tank/medivac to be VERY PATIENT. Do not get over anxious and run your entire army into all his sieged up tanks. I've lost sooo many ZvT's because I get over eager and try and crush his army and end up losing all my banes to siege tanks. Any good terran will run his marines away and let his tanks destroy your banes.. it just won't work. This is why you have to use mutas to pick off tanks and wait for the exact right time to rush in... sometimes a terran will unsiege all his tanks at once and these are the key times you want to attack. It's so important that you wait for the right moment though, can't stress that enough. Ling/muta/baneling army's are so delicate and can evaporate very quickly if you are not careful.. you'll lose the game before you can even blink.. and once you lose all your banes if he keeps rallying in marines/medivacs your basically dead. marine/medivac is just so powerful against muta/ling with no banelings. especially if the marines are upgraded. It's kind if ridiculous how badly 3/3 marines tear up mutas..

Also regarding roach's vs mech.. they work OK for a while, but eventually mech will tear roach's apart unless you have broodlord or ultra support (NP helps too) It's really important to rush for broodlords when you scout heavy mech. I really dislike making roach's against terran, although I admit they are neccessary at times. (muta/ling/baneling just will not work vs mass thor/upgraded hellions/tanks) I just find I lose so many more games when I go roach.. but I think the problem is I need to get brood lords up faster.. one of my weaknesses is definately not getting hive tech soon enough.. it just sucks how fast roach's get torn apart sometimes, all they have to do is mix is some marauders with mech and roach's are useless)
a.k.a reLapSe ---
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
December 13 2010 20:30 GMT
#25
I checked his profile, he's top 200 in EU, #163
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/1213003
Just to back up what he's saying, epic guy with epic post :D
Saechiis
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands4989 Posts
December 13 2010 20:31 GMT
#26
Great guide, props to OP!

I'm a bit sad with the lack of Terran guides though
I think esports is pretty nice.
Perscienter
Profile Joined June 2010
957 Posts
December 13 2010 20:35 GMT
#27
I personally go 14 pool, 16 hatch if I want to be secure. If I feel 100% safe, I go 14 hatch. What is the proper response to ebay blocks? Mainhatch or just wait until the block is gone and then expand?


You posted some good arguments about the roach. I really think that hellions are quite toothless. They are not potent vs. speedlings and queens until they reach the number of 4.

I think that the more thors a Terran gets, the less bio firepower he has. His forces will become very immobile and clumsy, while the little bio support won't be able to distribute much damage; and will be out of the way against banelings. Then thors don't stand any chance against masses of zerglings. They are so impotent vs. them.
telfire
Profile Joined May 2010
United States415 Posts
December 13 2010 20:48 GMT
#28
Jesus dude, thank you so much. This is amazing.
UFO
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
582 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-13 21:16:23
December 13 2010 21:15 GMT
#29
Mr.Siege, you are insanely awesome <3

I guess I won`t switch to protoss, thank you so much !!!
iRhuel
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1 Post
December 13 2010 21:17 GMT
#30
Nifty. Keep up the good work, man.
OpAndroid
Profile Joined July 2010
United States84 Posts
December 13 2010 22:52 GMT
#31
Awesome right up. Definitely helps, as I just switched from Terran to Zerg, and even though I fairly well understood the TvZ matchup, looking at it from the ZvT side is completely different. I know I learned a lot from this, and as others have said, writing up a ZvZ and ZvP breakdown would be awesome. Thanks.
GreatestThreat
Profile Joined May 2010
United States631 Posts
December 14 2010 00:55 GMT
#32
This is the best written guide I've ever seen on Teamliquid, and the replays are extremely fun to watch as well as educating (better than the GSL, just needs casting!). Thank you for the time put into this, you are a hero zerg.
"I'm ethereal! My children are legion, serial! They stick to my skin like beloved cysts... I TEAR AWAY WITH MY NAILS AND TEETH AND FISTS!"
Echosc2
Profile Joined September 2010
United States9 Posts
December 14 2010 05:20 GMT
#33
awesome guide keep up the good work
Silentenigma
Profile Joined July 2009
Turkey2037 Posts
December 14 2010 07:38 GMT
#34
Thx for this!
日本語が上手ですね
JoeCrow
Profile Joined March 2010
United States167 Posts
December 14 2010 08:12 GMT
#35
Wow thank you so much for this post. This is going to help me a ton.
Everlong
Profile Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1973 Posts
December 14 2010 09:30 GMT
#36
I wish there was something like this for Terran..
sNatch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States93 Posts
December 14 2010 10:04 GMT
#37
Even though I'm a Terran, this was a very good and interesting read!
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/366499/1/GiR/
Banginglife
Profile Joined November 2010
United States92 Posts
December 14 2010 10:12 GMT
#38
Wow thats really helpful, especially the visual aids.
Charmander
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-14 10:58:09
December 14 2010 10:56 GMT
#39
Extremely nice guide.

You should probably replace 15 hatch with 14 hatch. 14 hatch is better in every regard: It gets blocked less, it mines more minerals, it gets more larvae. No reason to ever 15 hatch. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=174374


I really think you're undervaluing Infestors. Mutalisks are extremely nice as they give you intel, map control, slow your opponent down, force a composition by him and deny him free expanding. However, against very aggressive Terrans that just keep on pressuring you with bio at your front while splitting their marines and blocking your banelings with marauders, I feel like Mutalisks are not the way to go. They suck at fighting (Marines are 5 times more cost-efficient in a straight up fight) and if you constantly get pressured you never have a chance to fly your mutalisks into his base to harass. Going ground Zerg against such bio-heavy playstyles (only bio and then medivacs) is, imo, best. I've seen dimaga go with no mutalisks at all with a heavy focus on lings + infestors while upgrading melee + carapace, allowing him to get to ultralisks much quicker.

If you watch IdrA's stream (whose ZvT was once said to be one of the best) he just gets raped by aggressive bio play, even if he delays his mutas until he has a third and gets speedbanes etc., good Terrans will be able to save a chunk of their marines from the speedbanes and that small group then rapes expansions + drones while the Z is trying to rebuild.

If you are ahead, I feel Mutas are the way to go. However if your opponent is able to do economic damage and puts you on the backfoot in the early game, going for units that are actually able to kill the opponent feels like a much more solid way to play to me.
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
kirdie
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany221 Posts
December 14 2010 12:58 GMT
#40
I love you ZerG~LegenD! (registered to post this :-))
I have long been searching for a structured, logical ZvT guide because it is my worst matchup by far and I never had an idea what to do when and how to react to what. So it's really appreciated!

I also have a youtube channel under youtube.com/user/kirdiekirdie (though it's in german), so if you want certain points or replays illustrated with a video just send me a pm, I think my english is ok too.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 459
UpATreeSC 88
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1029
Dewaltoss 137
firebathero 88
Zeus 68
Trap 48
Sexy 30
zelot 30
soO 23
ToSsGirL 21
Bale 20
[ Show more ]
JYJ 19
Shine 16
NaDa 15
Dota 2
Gorgc7064
qojqva2305
Dendi855
420jenkins156
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1333
Fnx 674
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5354
Liquid`Hasu1064
Other Games
Grubby4618
summit1g1703
Beastyqt759
B2W.Neo634
ceh9473
byalli366
C9.Mang0156
KnowMe152
ArmadaUGS146
TKL 117
BRAT_OK 74
Railgan10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV248
WardiTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream145
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• Adnapsc2 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 33
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• FirePhoenix14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3690
Other Games
• Shiphtur356
• WagamamaTV294
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
16h 31m
Stellar Fest
18h 31m
The PondCast
1d 15h
OSC
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.