• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:10
CEST 04:10
KST 11:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8599 users

[G] Build order timing calculator - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 16 Next All
ChThoniC
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States536 Posts
October 12 2010 21:06 GMT
#21
Really cool idea, I could see it eventually turn into something like you put in the unit comp you want, and it will reverse-engineer the fastest build order to get that army out
i c u
Rastre
Profile Joined September 2010
United States19 Posts
October 12 2010 23:16 GMT
#22
Wow, you've tackled a lot of trickey stuff i've been putting off doing myself (more in the context of build validation tho). I especially like your unit production calculators, since that'll help players like me who don't know how/when to expand and then produce properly.

If you are interested, PM me and perhaps I we can investigate ways to collaborate in our efforts. For example, i could implement a web service to let you post builds into my site - or vice versa. I'll definitely add a link to your site somewhere tho, since you've obviously done a lot of work (and were apparently inspired by the same daily ; )
rastre.net/StarCraft2 - beta testers welcome...
Haploid
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands89 Posts
October 13 2010 00:09 GMT
#23
On October 13 2010 05:54 pyjamads wrote:
Just to note what someone else did during the beta:
http://sc2tacop.site90.net/edition1/

A suggestion might be to use AJAX and make the timings "spawn" besides the build order, so that people have a chance to see where they're at mineral and gas wise....

Yeah, I saw that one and a few others around. That's definitely the most advanced one, and it's actually quite good calculation-wise, but I find it really hard to use, and it takes ages to get my build order set up in it.

I could do the AJAXy thing, except I think it'd require a lot more processing power serverside. Many small things you change in the build order require pretty much all the timings to be recalculated, or at least all the timings after the point where you made the change. If I make it so that it recalculates any time you make a change, that's an awful lot of extra recalculations. If I make it so you have to press a button to recalculate, well, that's basically what it is now.

I'll consider making it wider, so you can put the build order and the calculated timings side-by side. I don't want to make it too wide, but maybe we can fit it in.

On October 13 2010 06:06 ChThoniC wrote:
Really cool idea, I could see it eventually turn into something like you put in the unit comp you want, and it will reverse-engineer the fastest build order to get that army out

Whoa there, I get a headache just thinking about it, lol. That's really really really tough to make for all possible unit mixes. It's fairly easy to figure out for any one specific cocktail, but to make it work for every possibility, yikes.
Thank you Carl, you saved me from having to kill them all myself.
noD
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
October 13 2010 00:23 GMT
#24
Hmmm
According to it for 3 rax + 2 vikings and siege tanks u must be in exactly 2 saturated bases, this means im idling pretty much all the time
btw very very nice tool, congratulations ...
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
October 13 2010 00:43 GMT
#25
Gonna be testing out some timings with this tool thanks!
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
thundertoss
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1166 Posts
October 13 2010 01:05 GMT
#26
major props. thanks for doing this. this is such an awesome tool for improving individually and for theory crafting.
Underneath David Kims banelings is another control group of banelings.
Lancette
Profile Joined April 2010
China120 Posts
October 13 2010 06:18 GMT
#27
some more suggestion on Nexus' chrono
show the energy left in nexus at a time
allow constant chrono selected unit producing structure
Yo. Bro(toss)!
ylmson
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
October 14 2010 00:45 GMT
#28
I noticed it often rearranges the building order when supply counts are the same, or sometimes does not build things at the exact supply I gave it.

For example:
10 Nexus
10 Pylon

If you write these, the calculator will put the pylon down before the nexus. But if you do the following it puts down nexus after the pylon:
10 Nexus
10 Pylon
11 Probe*

Not quite understanding the logic here. Isn't it nicer to just try to follow the order of the lines and give errors when a specific order can't be accomplished? Also if you write the above, it will start building 10th probe before the pylon is finished.

Another example of the problem is that it never builds Assimilator when I want it to:
16 Assimilator builds it at 12 supply.
30 Assimilator builds it at 17 supply.

Other buildings suffer the same problem sometimes.

It might be useful to give a label to a building when you make it, so you can come back to refer to the building when you want to perform certain action. e.g. begin upgrade at two forges, then at a later time, select one of them to start chrono boost on.

Finally, where is Transform to Gateway so I can do the trick where you build 3 zealots in 58 seconds from one gate, without chronoboost?
Haploid
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands89 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-14 13:04:51
October 14 2010 13:01 GMT
#29
On October 14 2010 09:45 ylmson wrote:
I noticed it often rearranges the building order when supply counts are the same, or sometimes does not build things at the exact supply I gave it.

The calculator doesn't actually keep track of the order in which you put things. It looks at supply count, prerequisites, and user-defined dependencies (such as 10 Gateway > Zealot, which means start the Zealot when this Gateway has been completed).

I changed it, though. Now it keeps track of the order in which things appear in the build order, even if they have the same supply count. So 10 Nexus, 10 Pylon works as you'd expect now.

On October 14 2010 09:45 ylmson wrote:
Another example of the problem is that it never builds Assimilator when I want it to:
16 Assimilator builds it at 12 supply.
30 Assimilator builds it at 17 supply.

Yeah, it does that. I put an explanation of that in the limitations section. If you write 16 Assimilator, it'll start by building probes up to 16 supply. Then it looks for the earliest moment you could build the Assimilator. Turns out that's long before you reach 16 supply. If you really want to start the Assimilator after the 16th probe has started building, write: 15 Probe & Assimilator

I think the calculator is better off with this slight optimization technique in it, rather than taking it out.

On October 14 2010 09:45 ylmson wrote:
It might be useful to give a label to a building when you make it, so you can come back to refer to the building when you want to perform certain action. e.g. begin upgrade at two forges, then at a later time, select one of them to start chrono boost on.

I've really thought about this a long time, and I couldn't think of any situation where the two methods of notating chronoboost differ.

Your example would be:
16 Forge > Ground Weapons Level 1**
18 Forge > Ground Armor Level 1
Two chronoboosts on the first upgrade, none on the other. The chronoboosts are used as soon as they can be.

On October 14 2010 09:45 ylmson wrote:
Finally, where is Transform to Gateway so I can do the trick where you build 3 zealots in 58 seconds from one gate, without chronoboost?

I thought they fixed that trick in the beta. But yeah, I'll add it, for completeness.
Thank you Carl, you saved me from having to kill them all myself.
Phrencys
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada270 Posts
October 14 2010 13:52 GMT
#30
Cool stuff, I like the fact that there are several BO optimizers spawning out there.

I generated a Korean 4gates all-in:

10 Pylon
10 Probe*
10 Gateway
13 Assimilator > put 3 on gas
15 Cybernetics Core > Warpgate***
@50 gas take 3 off gas
18 Gateway [3] > Transform to Warpgate [4]
18 Pylon [3]

Some interesting facts, assuming numbers are correct:
- It gets Warpgates 40sec sooner than a standard 4gates (though I've seen faster 4gates than the one in your example).
- Not chrono boosting Nexus on 10 supply results in 886 extra minerals at the moment your warp gates morph, instead of 836 (so that boost is estimated at 50minerals?)
- You can actually make a 5gates all-in and be ready at the same time. Won't be able to support several full cycles, but your initial two waves will hit 20% harder.

I'm going to test this when I get home tonight.
Haploid
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands89 Posts
October 15 2010 09:32 GMT
#31
On October 14 2010 22:52 Phrencys wrote:
Some interesting facts, assuming numbers are correct:
- Not chrono boosting Nexus on 10 supply results in 886 extra minerals at the moment your warp gates morph, instead of 836 (so that boost is estimated at 50minerals?)

I think you mean the other way around: Chronoboosting Nexus results in 50 extra minerals when the warpgate morphs have completed. Good show on that build order. But I think the main reason it's faster than the example from Liquipedia is because it builds no units until after the warpgates, which can be... risky.

Update
Version 0.2:
- Terran support
- Show Chrono Boost & MULE in timing
- Updated to follow Patch 1.1.2
Thank you Carl, you saved me from having to kill them all myself.
ylmson
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
October 15 2010 19:21 GMT
#32
Why can't I build a marine when I only have Barracks with Tech Lab?

11 Supply Depot
11 Barracks
11 Refinery > put 3 on gas
11 Tech Lab on Barracks
11 Marine

It says "No production queue of type Reactor attached to Barracks is available!" Only removing the tech lab will allow the marine to build.
Haploid
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands89 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-15 22:08:14
October 15 2010 22:04 GMT
#33
On October 16 2010 04:21 ylmson wrote:
Why can't I build a marine when I only have Barracks with Tech Lab?
...
It says "No production queue of type Reactor attached to Barracks is available!" Only removing the tech lab will allow the marine to build.

Oops, I forgot to add the "Barracks with Tech Lab attached" queue type to the Marine. Dito for Hellion, Viking and Medivac. Thanks for spotting this. It's fixed now.

Also, I updated the error message to correctly say:
No production queue of type Barracks, or Barracks with attached Reactor, or Reactor attached to Barracks, or Barracks with attached Tech Lab is available!
Thank you Carl, you saved me from having to kill them all myself.
JMC4
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States261 Posts
October 15 2010 22:11 GMT
#34
Wow this is really cool definatly fun to use and very useful in game now that Starcraft supports an ingame timer. I also second the thought that you should make it an Ipod/Iphone/Ipad app
Diamond Protoss ~
thesauceishot
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada333 Posts
October 15 2010 22:24 GMT
#35
For some reason it shifted my build order 1 supply. I have it typed in as 10 gate, 14 pylon, but it only makes 3 probes after the 10 gate so under timings it has it as a 13 pylon.
ylmson
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
October 16 2010 05:39 GMT
#36
On October 16 2010 07:24 thesauceishot wrote:
For some reason it shifted my build order 1 supply. I have it typed in as 10 gate, 14 pylon, but it only makes 3 probes after the 10 gate so under timings it has it as a 13 pylon.


I believe that is because of the calculator optimizing the timing. Try "13 Probe & Pylon".

Now, quick Terran question: Where is Tactical Nuke
Haploid
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands89 Posts
October 16 2010 10:34 GMT
#37
On October 16 2010 07:24 thesauceishot wrote:
For some reason it shifted my build order 1 supply. I have it typed in as 10 gate, 14 pylon, but it only makes 3 probes after the 10 gate so under timings it has it as a 13 pylon.

What thesauceisshot said. I'm working on an option to make the calculator take the build order as literally as possible. It's actually harder not to optimize.

On October 16 2010 14:39 ylmson wrote:
Now, quick Terran question: Where is Tactical Nuke

Added it. It wasn't in the lists of Terran units, structures and upgrades on Liquipedia, so I kinda forgot about it. It's really a one-of-a-kind, the only expendable in the game.
Thank you Carl, you saved me from having to kill them all myself.
ylmson
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
October 16 2010 17:14 GMT
#38
Thanks. Should Salvage Bunker be added as well? It obviously has an effect on economy, refunding 100 minerals at an arbitrary point. Terran truely has many mechanics.


Haploid
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands89 Posts
October 16 2010 18:07 GMT
#39
On October 17 2010 02:14 ylmson wrote:
Thanks. Should Salvage Bunker be added as well? It obviously has an effect on economy, refunding 100 minerals at an arbitrary point. Terran truely has many mechanics.

OMG, that's so cute. For a second there, I thought: oh, Salvage Bunker, that's easy, it's just a morph that transforms a bunker into nothing. And then I realized it actually has a negative mineral cost. I added it to the list, and I think it'll work fine, but I'm not quite sure if there isn't some part of the calculator that'll flip when it sees a negative cost.

@thesauceisshot
I've also added an option called Strict mode. In Strict mode, the calculator will never produce a building or unit before the indicated supply count is achieved. So it'll follow the supply count in your build order to the letter.
Thank you Carl, you saved me from having to kill them all myself.
ylmson
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-17 21:38:42
October 17 2010 21:05 GMT
#40
It would be nice if the current maximum supply can be viewed alongside supply count (There is enough space anyways). I often forget to build supply early enough and the calculator keeps building units even when the maximum supply is exceeded.

Another feature I'm interested in:
Would it be possible to fast advance to a future given time and see the resources I would have at that moment, assuming not building anything in the duration? Then I can punch in the timing of an enemy push and estimate how much I can build to defend it. Since you already have @mineral and @gas build command, it may be nice to have an @time build command as well, which could then also function as the feature to look at available resource at a given time.

Right now, if I want to see how much minerals I have at 5:30, I would be trying @1000 mineral Pylon, @500 mineral Pylon until it gets me to 5:30, which is a bit inconvenient. Specifying the exact time for a command would also help manually factoring in the time of walking to build proxy barracks, etc.

Finally, I was trying out strict mode a bit, seems like when strict mode is on, 9 Pylon builds the pylon after the 9th probe comes out, I think it might be more useful if it makes the pylon after the 9th probe starts. Usually when I use strict mode I just want a strict order of building things, not waiting for the last supply unit to finish before making a building. It would especially matter if a unit takes a long time to build, since with strict mode you can't put down any building before the unit is finished.

Man, we can almost play the game on paper now. Props for such nice work!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings102
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 250
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10826
Dota 2
monkeys_forever949
NeuroSwarm183
febbydoto31
League of Legends
Doublelift6016
JimRising 633
Counter-Strike
minikerr35
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox826
Mew2King38
Other Games
summit1g9865
Maynarde212
ArmadaUGS57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick386
BasetradeTV201
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 10
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 200
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo304
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 50m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 50m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 50m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.