• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:13
CEST 16:13
KST 23:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7688 users

The Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 92

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 90 91 92 93 94 489 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 22:38:51
September 14 2011 22:38 GMT
#1821
On September 15 2011 03:01 Juice! wrote:
Is there an ideal nr of drones to have in mid/late game?
People used to say get 70-80 drones, but lately i've seen many zergs (like idra and slayersmin and more) never go above 50-55 drones (no matter how long the game takes).
Is there a reason for this or is it just not good to have more then 50-55 drones? (since they "weaken" you max food army)

I'm also wondering how the infestor will play it's part in the army of Z after patch 1.4 (with the NP nerf) and the banelingdrop nerf (altho i'm still hoping that's a bug and will be fixed)


What I see idra get more then 55 drones most of the time he plays xD.

its still the game you want to try and get 70-80 drones in general. If you overmake drones its not a big deal as normally with your large amount of minerals you want to grab some drones and make spines to either delay his push while you are teching, or to defend easier from drop play.

I'm pretty sure the baneling drop thing was proven as false, and as for the infestor change no idea yet.
When I think of something else, something will go here
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 22:41:39
September 14 2011 22:40 GMT
#1822
On September 15 2011 03:01 Juice! wrote:
Is there an ideal nr of drones to have in mid/late game?
People used to say get 70-80 drones, but lately i've seen many zergs (like idra and slayersmin and more) never go above 50-55 drones (no matter how long the game takes).
Is there a reason for this or is it just not good to have more then 50-55 drones? (since they "weaken" you max food army)

I'm also wondering how the infestor will play it's part in the army of Z after patch 1.4 (with the NP nerf) and the banelingdrop nerf (altho i'm still hoping that's a bug and will be fixed)



Zerg is all about larva management and having large numbers for surrounds. I usually like to play with about 3 bases of 16 on mins and 3/gas so 60ish. If you have 70-80 that means you have a huge economy but probably wont have enough army to defend attacks early. I would also say that the drone count depends of the playstyle of your opponent, if they are passive and go for max then drone and tech like crazy, if they aggressive then you should probably hold it out on 2 base for a while. I'm just giving my opinions though because I play no where near the level of Idra or Min.

I have no real comment on the others but I did see a post about the baneling thing being false.
iMMortaL.797
Profile Joined June 2011
United States94 Posts
September 14 2011 22:43 GMT
#1823
Anyone who needs help with injects, I'm a high gold Zerg, however I have my injects down pat. It's real simple. Macro keyboard is one thing you need for my style. Put all your queens on one control group (mine is 3). Put 3+v+backspace on a macro key. When the notification of the larva spawning appears in the top left, immediately (I have a Logitech G110) hit (I have this on G9) G9+click, G9+click, etc. for each hatchery.
Cosmology
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada360 Posts
September 14 2011 22:46 GMT
#1824
How do you react to someone mixing in like 6 bfh's into their marine tank army mid game?
Somewhere, something amazing is waiting to be known.
Slivered Skin
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada347 Posts
September 14 2011 23:01 GMT
#1825
On September 15 2011 07:43 iMMortaL.797 wrote:
Anyone who needs help with injects, I'm a high gold Zerg, however I have my injects down pat. It's real simple. Macro keyboard is one thing you need for my style. Put all your queens on one control group (mine is 3). Put 3+v+backspace on a macro key. When the notification of the larva spawning appears in the top left, immediately (I have a Logitech G110) hit (I have this on G9) G9+click, G9+click, etc. for each hatchery.


You do realize that this is against blizzard's terms of service, right? Here's an example thread talking about it: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=146760
Those most oft mated find love’s motive in a word: inebriated - Get well Violet!! And sC!! T_T
Cosmology
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada360 Posts
September 15 2011 00:07 GMT
#1826
Also, in ZvZ 15 Hatch vs 15 Hatch, should you ever attack with your banelings?
Somewhere, something amazing is waiting to be known.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 15 2011 00:10 GMT
#1827
On September 15 2011 09:07 Cosmology wrote:
Also, in ZvZ 15 Hatch vs 15 Hatch, should you ever attack with your banelings?


If you want to commit to an all in ling/bane sure, but I would recommend being the defensive player.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Cosmology
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada360 Posts
September 15 2011 02:30 GMT
#1828
On September 15 2011 09:10 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2011 09:07 Cosmology wrote:
Also, in ZvZ 15 Hatch vs 15 Hatch, should you ever attack with your banelings?


If you want to commit to an all in ling/bane sure, but I would recommend being the defensive player.


Okay thanks, when should I go on the offensive with Ling Bling then?

Also, should I make a spinecrawler?
Somewhere, something amazing is waiting to be known.
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
September 15 2011 03:05 GMT
#1829
On September 15 2011 00:51 evanthebouncy! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 22:57 KimJongChill wrote:
So with ZvZ, I'm comfortable with opening speedling expand to contain my opponent, but I'm not sure what to do when my opponent goes one base roach rush and just spams them to my base. Should I stay on one base as well, or try to hold my natural? I can't really counterattack since they will have some roaches idling around in base.


It's generally tricky. You cannot over make zerglings and must get your economy up. His tech is ahead and a roach ball of larger size is more powerful, and his 1 base economy is not nessesarily worse than yours since he probably have good saturation on 1 base to your bad saturation over 2 base (since you made zerglings, your drone count will be low).

You have to saturate your natural up, and either:
1) stay on zergling and get spines
2) go roach yourself

I prefer going roach myself. The whole point of speedling is containment and map control, you are now playing a match not unlike ZvP and ZvT. You want to drone as much as possible until he moves out. He has to initiate the move out as he is 1 base behind.

As soon as you contain him (i.e. you have 12 or so zerglings while he has 3,4 roaches blocking the ramp, you need to put down a roach warren right away and pump out drones / roaches. When you feel your main/nat is sufficiently saturated (i.e. you think your 2 base economy is better than his 1 base, start adding roaches off 2 or 3 gas, depend on your econ.

When he moves out and if you played the economy right you should have a roach count comparable to his, add in a round of roach and spam speedlings to crush his push.

edit:
basically at some point speedling > roach, but after a certain point roach > zergling. The precise point where they are equal depends on flanking and his roach positioning greatly. If he push out early, it should not work because you can slam out 20 zerglings off 2 hatch and crush him. If he push out late it should not work because your good economy should have more roaches.


This is the kind of play that I generally perform, but I'm talking about a very fast roach rush. I guess it does still boil down to walking the fine line of droning/roaching.
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
Rinny
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States616 Posts
September 15 2011 16:08 GMT
#1830
On September 15 2011 09:07 Cosmology wrote:
Also, in ZvZ 15 Hatch vs 15 Hatch, should you ever attack with your banelings?


If scout the front of his base and he has no spines or banelings you should move out with some blings. At worst you will force him to morph blings or spines, at best he wont react and you'll be able to hurt him.
Where my swarm at? Ye Yeee
Rinny
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States616 Posts
September 15 2011 16:10 GMT
#1831
On September 15 2011 07:43 iMMortaL.797 wrote:
Anyone who needs help with injects, I'm a high gold Zerg, however I have my injects down pat. It's real simple. Macro keyboard is one thing you need for my style. Put all your queens on one control group (mine is 3). Put 3+v+backspace on a macro key. When the notification of the larva spawning appears in the top left, immediately (I have a Logitech G110) hit (I have this on G9) G9+click, G9+click, etc. for each hatchery.

Macros are actually considered cheating by the blizzard ToS so I don't recommend posting about this.
Where my swarm at? Ye Yeee
Chinesewonder
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada354 Posts
September 15 2011 17:44 GMT
#1832
On September 15 2011 07:38 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2011 03:01 Juice! wrote:
Is there an ideal nr of drones to have in mid/late game?
People used to say get 70-80 drones, but lately i've seen many zergs (like idra and slayersmin and more) never go above 50-55 drones (no matter how long the game takes).
Is there a reason for this or is it just not good to have more then 50-55 drones? (since they "weaken" you max food army)

I'm also wondering how the infestor will play it's part in the army of Z after patch 1.4 (with the NP nerf) and the banelingdrop nerf (altho i'm still hoping that's a bug and will be fixed)


What I see idra get more then 55 drones most of the time he plays xD.

its still the game you want to try and get 70-80 drones in general. If you overmake drones its not a big deal as normally with your large amount of minerals you want to grab some drones and make spines to either delay his push while you are teching, or to defend easier from drop play.

I'm pretty sure the baneling drop thing was proven as false, and as for the infestor change no idea yet.

What is this baneling drop nerf??? Just curious becaues I'm already having trouble with unit compositions against protoss
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
September 15 2011 21:56 GMT
#1833
When a P goes stalker/colossus, and has like more than 4 colossi or more, is it better to go infestor/ling or roach/ling? Whenever I make roaches late game pvz, it feels like im literally giving free supply to the protoss...
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-15 23:45:13
September 15 2011 23:42 GMT
#1834
On September 16 2011 06:56 KimJongChill wrote:
When a P goes stalker/colossus, and has like more than 4 colossi or more, is it better to go infestor/ling or roach/ling? Whenever I make roaches late game pvz, it feels like im literally giving free supply to the protoss...

Neither of those seem too effective, you're just so far behind in tech if they have that many colossus out. My solution to large numbers of... anything from protoss is baneling bombs. This is especially strong vs. stalker/colossus because the huge strength of that composition comes from how compact the unit ball must be to have the damage density to be effective. Roach/infestor/bane is what you'll want in the midgame, but if your opponent has that many colossus then you should have hive tech at that point, infestor/roach/brood lord being the obvious response at that point.

On September 16 2011 02:44 Chinesewonder wrote:
What is this baneling drop nerf??? Just curious becaues I'm already having trouble with unit compositions against protoss

It was labeled as a bug fix, but was proven to do basically nothing significant. Here is the thread if you're curious.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
awakenx
Profile Joined May 2011
United States341 Posts
September 16 2011 00:57 GMT
#1835
What's that "zerg deathball" composition vs Protoss late game? xD I remember seeing it somewhere but I don't remember through the 100000 threads I've read.
WorstMicroNA
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-16 01:27:10
September 16 2011 01:26 GMT
#1836
Infestors and Brood Lords are the primary units of a Zerg late game deathball (it's not really any more unstoppable than a Protoss version.)
ZvT: Infestors Brood Lords, plenty of corruptors, ling/bling and whatever mutalisks you still may have left over.
ZvP: Infestors, Brood Lords, plenty of corruptors, roaches and hydralisks.

Or combination of both- really the only standard about it is Brood Lords to long range siege and infestors to fungal the units in place so they can't bum rush the Brood Lords and must fight through the support units and broodlings.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Dalguno
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2446 Posts
September 16 2011 01:38 GMT
#1837
So I feel like the biggest noob, but I've been playing super bad lately and playing against diamonds again. This guy masses BC's/ravens/vikings/banshees on me. I don't know how to answer PDD's against that stuff though. They block muta, queen, hydra, corruptor, even spore crawler shots. How am I supposed to engage that? It makes the BC's completely untouchable.
"I'm gonna keep making drones cause I'm a baller, and ballers make drones." -Snute
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
September 16 2011 02:21 GMT
#1838
On September 16 2011 10:38 Dalguno wrote:
So I feel like the biggest noob, but I've been playing super bad lately and playing against diamonds again. This guy masses BC's/ravens/vikings/banshees on me. I don't know how to answer PDD's against that stuff though. They block muta, queen, hydra, corruptor, even spore crawler shots. How am I supposed to engage that? It makes the BC's completely untouchable.

The best thing to do is don't let it happen. What were you doing to the terran while they were pooling resources into BCs? What was your midgame plan? Did you just skip mutalisks entirely for infestors? Consistent mutalisk activeness should shut down sky terran, though I'd need to see a replay to be more specific.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Dalguno
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2446 Posts
September 16 2011 03:42 GMT
#1839
On September 16 2011 11:21 Soluhwin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 16 2011 10:38 Dalguno wrote:
So I feel like the biggest noob, but I've been playing super bad lately and playing against diamonds again. This guy masses BC's/ravens/vikings/banshees on me. I don't know how to answer PDD's against that stuff though. They block muta, queen, hydra, corruptor, even spore crawler shots. How am I supposed to engage that? It makes the BC's completely untouchable.

The best thing to do is don't let it happen. What were you doing to the terran while they were pooling resources into BCs? What was your midgame plan? Did you just skip mutalisks entirely for infestors? Consistent mutalisk activeness should shut down sky terran, though I'd need to see a replay to be more specific.


Yeah yeah, I know I could have done better for him not getting there. But, I see the transition a lot, from tank marine in super heavy macro games to the air units. What do I do when it gets there?
"I'm gonna keep making drones cause I'm a baller, and ballers make drones." -Snute
Zoomacroom
Profile Joined September 2011
36 Posts
September 16 2011 04:41 GMT
#1840
Platinum Zerg here. I've made it a goal to stop using roaches as part of my main army composition in all matchups. I don't think they're a bad unit, but they're boring and supply inefficient and I just don't have a fun time playing the game when I use them.

The matchup this shakes up for me the most is ZvZ, where I almost always went 15 hatch into roach/infestor. I've noticed a number of zergs going muta/ling recently, which catches me off guard and beats me a lot of the time as I try to transition into hydras. Admittedly, my infestor control is terribad. I would love to try going muta/ling in ZvZ myself, and I remember NesTea mentioned that he thought mutas were the future of ZvZ.

Is this a viable strat at a high level (or even a low one; I am only in platinum after all)? Does it just lose to someone who has good infestor control and chain-Fungals the mutas? If it is a decent strat, does anyone know a good build order for it?
Prev 1 90 91 92 93 94 489 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1105
RotterdaM623
SteadfastSC290
TKL 223
Rex134
CosmosSc2 37
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 623
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 223
Rex 134
CosmosSc2 37
Codebar 33
ProTech25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42686
Calm 2840
Shuttle 2376
Jaedong 1594
Horang2 932
actioN 641
Mini 586
Soma 512
EffOrt 446
Soulkey 442
[ Show more ]
Stork 331
Rush 304
Larva 243
ZerO 223
BeSt 223
Snow 188
Mong 138
firebathero 132
Zeus 94
Mind 82
hero 70
910 69
Free 62
sorry 59
Hyun 47
Sharp 45
Shine 37
Shinee 36
PianO 35
Pusan 31
JYJ 29
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 23
Aegong 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 19
HiyA 17
Hm[arnc] 16
Killer 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 12
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5115
Dendi1248
Counter-Strike
fl0m2161
Fnx 596
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King175
ChuDatz4
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes621
Lowko366
Other Games
singsing2199
hiko678
B2W.Neo352
DeMusliM227
Livibee182
Pyrionflax178
Khaldor155
Liquid`VortiX137
Trikslyr67
QueenE64
dupreeh43
ZerO(Twitch)14
Liquid`RaSZi8
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1403
Other Games
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH215
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2160
• Jankos1715
• TFBlade650
• Noizen101
Other Games
• Shiphtur598
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 47m
The PondCast
19h 47m
INu's Battles
20h 47m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.