• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:46
CEST 10:46
KST 17:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8371 users

The Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 94

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 92 93 94 95 96 489 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions.
DW-Unrec
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
492 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-17 17:41:09
September 17 2011 17:40 GMT
#1861
On September 17 2011 23:55 ARick wrote:
Hi,im a Protoss just switched to Zerg and sadly i have no clue what to build vs terran and protoss early and lategame.

Vs T i go ling/bling early game but then i dont rlly know what to get.Should i go roaches/hydras , inferstors or mutalisks.

Vs P i have no idea what to go early game should i just stay at lings or what should i get?same goes for mid and late-game no idea what to get.

Some help would be awesome ?


vs terran you should start the game thinking "how do I protect myself against X"? Then you scout to see what "X" will be. The most common openings are bunker pressure, reactored hellions and reapers.

You can get this information by climbing up his ramp and/or seeing his gas. This should be obvious but no gas means 2 rax into expand. Put a spine and you're much more safe. Try to not let bunkers go up, bring 6ish drones to buy time for lings and delay bunker. Your scouting drone should catch marines going to your base at 3:00. Even if its a 1 rax fake pressure, it will hurt when marines get up on the bunker.So NEVER let bunkers go up early game.

Its good to have an overlord on his second geyser, that way you can see when he's teching. Put on overlord to scout his expo. Look for scv count and gas taken.

This is the standard ZvT game. I think knowing how the match-up works is better than mass-reading build orders. But I use 15 hatch 15 pool in most games. 16 gas if pressure's coming, 18 if its not.



HelloSon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States456 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-17 22:05:57
September 17 2011 22:05 GMT
#1862
At masters, in ZvP, i usually go for a roach-ling compo -> infestors and be aggressive before he takes his third.

Off FFE, if P goes quick double-robo for fast colossus, what's my best response? Skip the infestors and go straight for corruptors? If I scout the double-robo, is it possible to go straight to muta/ling?
yo
.DrK
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada326 Posts
September 17 2011 22:18 GMT
#1863
hi, i'm a high-ish gold zerg that has a lot of problems with playing against protoss.
what are the timings that i should be aware of if i'm favoring a baneling drop strategy?
thanks!
Xation
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada147 Posts
September 17 2011 22:41 GMT
#1864
Hey Dudes, I recently switched from Toss to Zerg. My ZvP is on par with my level (diamond), but I would love it if someone could attempt to explain zvz to me. I do NOT get that matchup at all. "Oh, you 15 hatched?! I'll just make lings and crush you, YEAH!" *I get to his natural* "What is this.. I don't..." *I die to 50 lings 30 roaches and 3 battle cruisers.*.

Maybe just some BO's and endgame comps ZvT and ZvZ might help as well..
Liquid HerO bonjwa. Stardust fighting! -Jester 1754
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
September 17 2011 22:54 GMT
#1865
What's up with the ZvZ meta-game these days?

It's all baneling-expand into mass spines into mutas, and I'm really not sure how to play against it without just doing the exact same thing.

Anyone have a good feel for this new play-style right now?
Hawk2
Profile Joined August 2010
United States229 Posts
September 17 2011 23:05 GMT
#1866
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 18 2011 07:54 MrBitter wrote:
What's up with the ZvZ meta-game these days?

It's all baneling-expand into mass spines into mutas, and I'm really not sure how to play against it without just doing the exact same thing.

Anyone have a good feel for this new play-style right now?


You can go roach hydra infestor still, in fact roach play is forced on most maps on the ladder pool, it really all is dependant on the size of the maps and architecture, in general the bigger the map the better mutalisks become.

Maps like Antiga Shipyards and Tal'darim alter are the ones I'm assuming you're talking about and on those you can still go roach hydra infestor you just have to be really defensive and mass up a strong count of infestors and go for a death push at max, the game plan against mutalisks on a large map is to get a critical number of high energy infestors to roll your opponent with who will have inevitably less infestors than you simply because he did go for mutas.

of course in the case of the player going mutalisks more map control, bases, and a possible ultralisk switch compensates. That's the general zvz meta-game with mutalisks at the moment.

Here's a good replay of how LaLush played against me when I went mutalisks

http://replayfu.com/r/1kXgJp
ipwntbarney
Profile Joined September 2011
United States141 Posts
September 18 2011 00:30 GMT
#1867
http://www.mediafire.com/?yy553yyjvi6sbe6
Can someone watch this and tell me what I did wrong please? I'm bad at dealing with tons of pressure early on, and I'm not sure what I should have done differently
ManiacTheZealot
Profile Joined December 2009
United States490 Posts
September 18 2011 00:44 GMT
#1868
On September 18 2011 07:54 MrBitter wrote:
What's up with the ZvZ meta-game these days?

It's all baneling-expand into mass spines into mutas, and I'm really not sure how to play against it without just doing the exact same thing.

Anyone have a good feel for this new play-style right now?


It's really the same as before just that people figured out how powerful infestor/spine is so you can't rely on a 2 base timing to kill muta users.

I suggest just getting hydras out fast to ensure you can take your third. Then switch immediately to infestors and get burrow quickly. Keep a zergling at every expo because the muta user always tries to take 1 more base then you. If they can't they don't really have an advantage. Then it turns into a normal game because he can't keep going mutas.

People like ultra switches now that mass infestor is so popular too.
nick1689
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia494 Posts
September 18 2011 05:36 GMT
#1869
Whats the ideal amount of Queens to have injecting larvae late game? 3 or 4?
Ksyper
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Bulgaria665 Posts
September 18 2011 05:44 GMT
#1870
On September 18 2011 14:36 nick1689 wrote:
Whats the ideal amount of Queens to have injecting larvae late game? 3 or 4?

As many bases you have, you can't get enough larvae.
DW-Unrec
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
492 Posts
September 18 2011 06:49 GMT
#1871
3 is fine, more than that will take undeeded supply.

Can zerg tech to spire and expand&drone in this following situation?
Protoss FFE then go straight to colossus, skipping the mid-game agression with gateway units. I scout that and take a fourth, drone up a little and tech to spire. That's viable or the best option is to attack protoss with roaches/hydras/whathever build I went anyway?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 18 2011 08:05 GMT
#1872
On September 18 2011 15:49 DW-Unrec wrote:
3 is fine, more than that will take undeeded supply.

Can zerg tech to spire and expand&drone in this following situation?
Protoss FFE then go straight to colossus, skipping the mid-game agression with gateway units. I scout that and take a fourth, drone up a little and tech to spire. That's viable or the best option is to attack protoss with roaches/hydras/whathever build I went anyway?


Um well you can probably do it if they are teching straight to colossi but they should still have a good gateway unit so you don't want to over drone and die.

Sounds like you go roach/hydra/corruptor? If so then I would try attacking once he goes for a third base. But its almost never really viable to attack protoss (if they are turtling 2 base) with anything because FF will nulffy that aggression and you could possibly lose your whole army and barely killing anything of his so its a little bit of a risk if you do decide to attack.

So in short its fine taking a 4'th droning a little and teching to spire if you are absolutely positive he's not going to attack.
When I think of something else, something will go here
B o A
Profile Joined January 2011
90 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 12:14:24
September 18 2011 12:11 GMT
#1873
hello fellow zergies

zvz problems

i usually open with baneling expo (14/14 get 4 lings, 1 queen, put down hatch & start banes nest) and i have trouble with baneling busts. After dropping the hatch, i will make more lings if i haven't scouted his base with an ovie but the opponent will always have more banes since he has drones on gas longer, how do you guys deal with it using this opening? i tend to block my ramp with a queen & banelings but that doesnt seem to work very well.

zvt problems

how do you guys sniff out and deal with the very early recent hellion/marine elevator pushes? theres 2 variations of it, red flame and blue flame. i usually tell when the terran opens with something that looks like reactor hellion but he keeps the reactor on the rax(not very reliable i feel)

i tend to spread creep throughout my main & the moment i spot the dropship i will get my 3 queens to focus it down but usually it doesnt get denied.

it gets rough when he starts elevating marines and with the hellions on the low ground roasting my lings that come for the surround. feels as though i have to make lots of lings and some banes in anticipation.

hope to seek advice, thanks guys !
Chaosvuistje
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands2581 Posts
September 18 2011 12:29 GMT
#1874
On September 18 2011 21:11 B o A wrote:
hello fellow zergies

zvz problems

i usually open with baneling expo (14/14 get 4 lings, 1 queen, put down hatch & start banes nest) and i have trouble with baneling busts. After dropping the hatch, i will make more lings if i haven't scouted his base with an ovie but the opponent will always have more banes since he has drones on gas longer, how do you guys deal with it using this opening? i tend to block my ramp with a queen & banelings but that doesnt seem to work very well.


If you go 14/14, you don't expand before baneling nest unless you see your opponent going hatch first. Your opening would be perfectly viable ( although I wouldve liked 6 or 8 lings instead of 4 to scare him into making more zerglings ) against a hatch first opponent.

But you can't go speedling expand against a 14/14 baneling opponent because with the right control he can always snipe off the hatchery. The banelings will make sure you have to pick your fights extremely carefully. Its better to go for a defensive 14/14 baneling style yoruself if you see a 14/14 opening.

Speedling expand is a reactive opening, not something you do blind like a 14/14 or a 15 hatch.
Hijungle
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia67 Posts
September 18 2011 14:42 GMT
#1875
Hi I'm High Silver and I have several questions for each race.

1. ZvZ - Most games I'm able to kill my opponent straight up with ling/bling wars, also the ling bling roach follow up.

However, past the early game and when I need to expand, I find it hard to macro up properly, since if I get a pack of drones and he moves out it's gg for me, what's the answer?

2. ZvT - I'm starting to have trouble with this as I play much better opponents.
I'm used to dealing with banshees and I can beat a reactor hellion opening, but if my opponent goes marine tank medivac I find it hard to kill him, because the marines are so plentiful and overall hard to kill, and if I make one wrong misclick 5-10 banelings are killed. I use infestors a lot but same deal with the banelings. I like to go sling/bling/roach/muta/infestor however, I find that muta is good for taking out tanks and all that but it's hard to en masse them, what's the answer to marine tank? Good positioning? Baneling landmines?

3. ZvP - Generally I'm not having trouble with this as I continue to use and get used to infestors.
I love to use overpool spanshiwa-esque build against them, then mass lings. if he goes for a four gate I have enough minerals to just get a lot of spine crawlers and lings into infestor. However, I find it incredibly hard to kill late-game Protoss, probably the hardest out of all 3 races. Recently I've decided that to avoid Void Ray trouble I decide to go ling hydra with a lot of spine crawlers first into ling infestor roach ultra/brood (ultimately depends, but I strangely prefer ultra, personal preference really). But on the subject of Late-game protoss I find it really hard to kill collo with void ray, dt, archon, gateway units to support it. My combination is generally the same, and I do use np a lot, although my infestor micro sucks. Does it come down to that or is my macro lacking? (I'll link replays in an edit since it's nearly a quarter to 1 and I'm really tired here in Aus). However, one last thing, how do I deal with warp prism harass? I've tried placing spine crawlers at my main, nat etc but my opponent is quite happy to waste chargelots to kill my expos while he builds up a death ball in his main. Is there a way to counter this? Harassment? Hm..

again, I'll link replays i'm talking about later but I'm tired right now :/

Macpo
Profile Joined September 2010
453 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 15:03:37
September 18 2011 15:02 GMT
#1876
Hi Rewdant
To your three questions, couple of remarks from a low master

1. In Z v Z, past blings wars, u should have expanded, and be droning until saturation on two bases. during that time, he may all in you, so you have to scout, but it's also very risky for him, so don't be over defensive, as this may well cost you the game... so have good overlord placement, send zerglings, but be greedy, until you have saturated...

2. in Z v T, I think the secret to tank marine compositions is zerglings. Don't over estimate banelings! in many situations, you will find out that banelings are quite useless if he splits his marines correctly, so be careful not to overproduce them, and often try to favor mutas...

3. in Z v P be careful about unit composition when you face the death ball, you don't want to have only tier 2 units (especially roaches) against colossi, archon, etc.... you have to transition progressively to tier 3. I personnally like pretty much broodlords with infestors.


By the way, I also have problems with infestors micro management; would someone give me tips about that?
"Courage consists, however, in agreeing to flee rather than live tranquilly and hypocritically in false refuges." G. Deleuze
Maxie
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden2653 Posts
September 18 2011 18:23 GMT
#1877
Hello there! I'm a high platinum terran (please, don't tear me to pieces just yet my slimy... friends),
and I'm currently interested in toying around a bit with Zerg, as I have before with protoss. This is mainly for fun, but I might just learn something from it as well - I'm wondering if there are any good Zerg guides out there similar to what Kaeru has done for TvP (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=262125).

That is, a guide with both text and video. I just want to be able to play Zerg at an above Bronze level, and I really like having both text and video when it comes to guides like that.

I recall that Destiny has coached quite a bit, which might be good to watch if you're fairly new to Zerg, but I couldn't find any among his ~81 pages of recorded videos (not that I looked through them all, a lot of them were "untitled").

You may very well give me basic tips and build orders as well (I'll accept anything I'll get!), but my specific request is things similar to Kaeru's guide. I don't know if Day[9] has done any very basic dailies about Zerg? If he has and you know about it, I wanna know! :D

Thanks for any help, but please keep it fairly basic

arena_say_what
Profile Joined June 2011
122 Posts
September 18 2011 19:00 GMT
#1878
I worked my way into diamond by just going 14/14 expo 21 in every game agaisnt every matchup. Is it possible to do the same working my way towards masters? Or should I be trying out different build orders? If so what's good :| to me zerg doesn't seem to have that many build orders other than 14/14 and 15 hatch
Macpo
Profile Joined September 2010
453 Posts
September 18 2011 21:18 GMT
#1879
On September 19 2011 03:23 Maxie wrote:
Hello there! I'm a high platinum terran (please, don't tear me to pieces just yet my slimy... friends),
and I'm currently interested in toying around a bit with Zerg, as I have before with protoss. This is mainly for fun, but I might just learn something from it as well - I'm wondering if there are any good Zerg guides out there similar to what Kaeru has done for TvP (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=262125).

That is, a guide with both text and video. I just want to be able to play Zerg at an above Bronze level, and I really like having both text and video when it comes to guides like that.

I recall that Destiny has coached quite a bit, which might be good to watch if you're fairly new to Zerg, but I couldn't find any among his ~81 pages of recorded videos (not that I looked through them all, a lot of them were "untitled").

You may very well give me basic tips and build orders as well (I'll accept anything I'll get!), but my specific request is things similar to Kaeru's guide. I don't know if Day[9] has done any very basic dailies about Zerg? If he has and you know about it, I wanna know! :D

Thanks for any help, but please keep it fairly basic



well there is Mr Bitter 12 weeks with the pros, which is pretty interesting, although starting to get old and definitely not an introduction... but really worth it if you are ready to spend like 2 or 3 hours on how to defend 2 rax or 4 gate

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=177791

"Courage consists, however, in agreeing to flee rather than live tranquilly and hypocritically in false refuges." G. Deleuze
craag
Profile Joined September 2011
United States4 Posts
September 18 2011 21:22 GMT
#1880
So lets say, for whatever reason, a few of your overlords start taking fire and you notice that in a moment you will be supply blocked.

Is it better to immediately use your remaining larva/minerals to replace those lost overlords, or to quickly crank out some units before the supply block hits?
Prev 1 92 93 94 95 96 489 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1187
GuemChi 637
Hyun 543
firebathero 373
BeSt 321
Leta 292
Soma 191
Mong 155
Shine 97
PianO 65
[ Show more ]
sSak 48
910 48
Hyuk 46
yabsab 30
HiyA 24
Bale 23
Hm[arnc] 22
ZergMaN 21
Shinee 18
Noble 14
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss835
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King399
Other Games
summit1g8476
olofmeister1105
ceh9641
gofns639
JimRising 504
KnowMe121
Trikslyr31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick457
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos626
• Stunt433
Other Games
• Shiphtur486
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 14m
Patches Events
7h 14m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.