• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:49
CEST 17:49
KST 00:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8621 users

[D] Spamming Orbital Commands

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
JTPROG
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States254 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 12:48:36
March 17 2010 15:18 GMT
#1
So recently I was playing a TvT, known for it's very long match duration and gas intensiveness, and realized I had an over-abundance of minerals with nearly no gas. I was trying to find a usefullness for marines when tanks dominated the current matchup, but decided it probably wouldn't be a very good idea. I already had 2-3 expansions, so with about 1200 minerals I quickly made 3 command centers in my base (and kept them there) and proceeded to upgrade all of them to orbital commands.

Now when you think of it, this actually might not be a bad use of minerals. With each orbital command you have access to a MULE every 90 seconds or so. so if MULEs give you 290 minerals each, an orbital command will pay for itself in about 2 MULEs, and then add to that as the game goes on (considering you have a base to mine from, as technically it just gives you minerals FASTER). But more importantly, having so many orbital commands gives you access to almost limit-less scans for scouting and detecting. In a matchup where minerals are only really useful so long as you have gas or need to spam turrets, I think this may actually be a good use of minerals for scouting and even economy all-around, since you're basically just trading minerals for free scans and free SCVs (MULEs), which will get your money back anyway. This worked really well for me and I will probably always spend excess minerals on OCs in this matchup. What do you think?

EDIT:
Note: For people saying I should spend the minerals to expand, yes, I am trying to take as many expansions as possible, but I have more than enough minerals to make OCs for each expansion and then extra in my base. You're always trying to expand as much as possible, but the point is, spend your spare minerals on OCs, especially when you have nowhere left to expand.

Note: With this strat, in late game, you can cut SCVs and rely purely on MULEs for a stronger 200/200 army.

Question: How many minerals would you be willing to spend on a MAPHACK, when you don't even need them?
inflowgaming.net
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
March 17 2010 15:30 GMT
#2
It seems preferable to just macro better: you could skew your unit composition to be less gas-heavy, you could build marines and hellions, you could expand more.. Orbitals commands are a bit of a waste in that regard.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
starcraft911
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Korea (South)1263 Posts
March 17 2010 15:33 GMT
#3
I think spending your money on units and winning the game is a better idea.
GG-Striker
Profile Joined April 2008
Czech Republic112 Posts
March 17 2010 15:35 GMT
#4
Sure. If you are making Tanks just hide somewhere 4-5 Raxes and make surprise with some Medivacs drops. I think it's much better.
JTPROG
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States254 Posts
March 17 2010 15:36 GMT
#5
Like I said, there were no units that would be useful to make with minerals. Marines and hellions are not very useful against tanks and air, waste of minerals. And this is considering I don't need to/would be foolish to expand at the time, in which case I would STILL have an excess of minerals even if I did.
inflowgaming.net
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
March 17 2010 15:37 GMT
#6
So because you didn't know what to spend your minerals on you made lots of orbital commands, giving you the ability to harvest minerals faster?
Brilliant^^;
DrainX
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Sweden3187 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 15:44:56
March 17 2010 15:44 GMT
#7
If you have enough minerals left to throw down 3 orbital commands in your base you might as well build them at expansions. Will give you a much better bonus if you are able to defend them. If not, just fly them to island expansions or try to hide your expansions. I can't think of any reason to just build them in your base.
Glioburd
Profile Joined April 2008
France1911 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 15:53:00
March 17 2010 15:51 GMT
#8
On March 18 2010 00:37 Feefee wrote:
So because you didn't know what to spend your minerals on you made lots of orbital commands, giving you the ability to harvest minerals faster?
Brilliant^^;

Haha, that's what I said to myself reading the first post xd.

Funny idea but I agree with all, use your mineral in expand and making some drop harass.
"You should hate loosing, but you should never fear defeat." NaDa.
JTPROG
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States254 Posts
March 17 2010 15:51 GMT
#9
On March 18 2010 00:44 DrainX wrote:
If you have enough minerals left to throw down 3 orbital commands in your base you might as well build them at expansions. Will give you a much better bonus if you are able to defend them. If not, just fly them to island expansions or try to hide your expansions. I can't think of any reason to just build them in your base.


What if I already had 2-3 expansions and Did not want to create more SCVs using supply. I could also lift them to bases later and use purely MULEs to act as SCVs. I would be lifting some of them and sending them to expansions, but there's only so many expansions, and i would end up just having some in my base.
inflowgaming.net
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
March 17 2010 15:54 GMT
#10
I think spending the minerals on almost anything else would be a better use. You are spending minerals you deem useless to get more minerals more quickly. How is that productive?
Moderator
JTPROG
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States254 Posts
March 17 2010 15:58 GMT
#11
On March 18 2010 00:54 Chill wrote:
I think spending the minerals on almost anything else would be a better use. You are spending minerals you deem useless to get more minerals more quickly. How is that productive?


Does everyone ignore the fact that you can use them for scans also? And spending your minerals on them isn't useless cause you just get them back anyway from MULEs. It's just like a trade for free scans and free SCVs (MULES).
inflowgaming.net
Gretorp
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States586 Posts
March 17 2010 15:59 GMT
#12
I'm going to use this actually, but for scan.

I was recently playing kawaiirice in a 50 minute tvt where i had just about 100 gasish, but I had around 17,000 minerals. I think the additional scans will allow me to see what's up better, and if necessary bait fire of tanks with mule drops.

Thanks for the idea :-)

I am Unheard Change
Kazius
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Israel1456 Posts
March 17 2010 16:04 GMT
#13
Actually, late game this sounds like a great idea, lowering SCV counts in order to make way for a bigger army while having a lot of intel sounds at least somewhat viable... and scan + offensive mules (mining from the opponent's last base) would be hillarious.
Friendship is like peeing yourself. Anyone can see it, but only you get that warm feeling.
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
March 17 2010 16:05 GMT
#14
Do you really need more than 3 orbital commands to scan though? If you're not spending your money on mules anyways 3 comsats should be more than enough. At least in SC1 they were for me.
Floophead_III
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1832 Posts
March 17 2010 16:57 GMT
#15
You shouldn't be getting more than one, maybe 2 OCs in TvT. PF protects against harass and makes bio 100% worthless. I've lost a lot of bases I didn't have to because I had OCs. I also have like 3000 minerals all the time and can't spend them usefully (hellions are pretty worthless past earlygame). I often just expand 3-4 times at once because I have so many minerals. You can just get 6 scvs and a PF and mine the gas if you want.

My TvT does need work though. I still lose to a lot of stupid stuff. I think it's probably the hardest MU mechanically and strategically for terran. However, TvZ is insanely difficult to win even though it's easier mechanically =/
Half man, half bear, half pig.
JTPROG
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States254 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 17:08:40
March 17 2010 17:04 GMT
#16
On March 18 2010 01:57 Floophead_III wrote:
You shouldn't be getting more than one, maybe 2 OCs in TvT. PF protects against harass and makes bio 100% worthless. I've lost a lot of bases I didn't have to because I had OCs. I also have like 3000 minerals all the time and can't spend them usefully (hellions are pretty worthless past earlygame). I often just expand 3-4 times at once because I have so many minerals. You can just get 6 scvs and a PF and mine the gas if you want.

My TvT does need work though. I still lose to a lot of stupid stuff. I think it's probably the hardest MU mechanically and strategically for terran. However, TvZ is insanely difficult to win even though it's easier mechanically =/


Read the OP more carefully, that's why your OCs are sitting in your base, away from danger ^^. In your case with 3000 spare minerals it sounds like it would have been perfect. I guess you can choose to either expand with OCs or PFs but the point is to spend your spare minerals on spamming OCs for scans and MULEs.
inflowgaming.net
raga4ka
Profile Joined February 2008
Bulgaria5679 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 17:24:09
March 17 2010 17:10 GMT
#17
In TvT i just open save and start expanding like crazy . if you have excess of minerals try expanding more and turret whore the whole map . All gas goes to tanks and vikings and medivacs and upgrades for them . Sometimes i build Thors and BCs . I don't think you need that much scan it's better to just expand all over the map and get the gasses going , turret whore and build extra factory for hellions if you really feel like you should keep your minerals down . I for one feel it's normal to have excess of minerals in TvT only . 2 maximum 3 orbital commands for scans seem enough , and have them mining at safe bases . More seems like wasting minerals just for the sake of keeping your minerals low , if you want to spend minerals spend them on hellions , but don't overdue it , because you'll probably be just wasting minerals again just for the sake of it .
Volshok
Profile Joined August 2008
United States349 Posts
March 17 2010 17:22 GMT
#18
I agree with the OP actually. Even after you turret up all your expos and your base, you still have massive amounts of unused minerals because TvT is limited by gas. 5-8 Orbital Commands allow you to scan constantly, as well as MULE bomb/repair anywhere on the map.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=123657
Rakanishu2
Profile Joined May 2009
United States475 Posts
March 17 2010 17:24 GMT
#19
If you're 100% sure he's not going to switch to air, in which case, you can spam Q up turrets and blow through money easily, maybe?
10 G's in the packet and I'm ready to roll, on fire like a rocket and I'm ready to blow
ADAM.1
Profile Joined March 2010
United States36 Posts
March 17 2010 17:25 GMT
#20
I have to disagree that building extra OC's that aren't used for taking a new expansion is a waste. Not that I'm pro because I'm in Plat league... but to me it is common sense to not make OC's that aren't being used for taking expansions.
Terran Lifestyle
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1245
ComeBackTV 513
SteadfastSC459
TaKeTV 406
LamboSC2320
IndyStarCraft 160
Rex134
EnkiAlexander 42
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy22
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 459
LamboSC2 320
mouzHeroMarine 162
IndyStarCraft 160
ProTech146
Rex 134
BRAT_OK 52
UpATreeSC 34
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36818
Shuttle 2018
Light 863
Mini 780
EffOrt 703
Horang2 572
Soma 319
firebathero 309
Rush 274
Hyuk 213
[ Show more ]
BeSt 200
Snow 191
ZerO 157
Leta 121
hero 94
sorry 44
Killer 42
Mong 34
ToSsGirL 33
Shinee 32
Sexy 28
Liquid`Ret 24
Bale 20
soO 19
Trap 18
Shine 16
Free 12
Terrorterran 10
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 3
Dota 2
Gorgc8039
qojqva1057
Dendi945
420jenkins150
Counter-Strike
fl0m1052
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1981
crisheroes1279
XaKoH 172
MindelVK9
Other Games
singsing1887
B2W.Neo986
Liquid`VortiX217
Hui .188
ArmadaUGS130
QueenE111
Mew2King92
KnowMe63
Trikslyr46
ToD37
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream92
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile121
• Gemini_19 17
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 16
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2808
• TFBlade1271
Other Games
• Shiphtur207
• WagamamaTV197
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 11m
Stellar Fest
21h 11m
OSC
1d 6h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 18h
Online Event
1d 19h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.