• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:34
CEST 19:34
KST 02:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War275.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8498 users

[mod] Starcraft AI project - Dorfl

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
May 19 2015 14:32 GMT
#1
Hey all. I'm in the process of creating an AI. Have been for a Loooong time now. It's a pretty epic task to write one from scratch. But I haven't made a TL post about it. And if it doesn't exist on TL then it doesn't exist, so here we are.

Having recently overcome frustrations and bugs related to scouting algorithms I decided to make a small teaser vid.



This is built ontop of my other project SALT as it utilizes a lot of the code that already existed in that project meaning that the two projects will be compatible and able to be used together in the future (whenever I actually finish).

I considered just posting this onto the SALT thread but I will probably release as a stand alone product. So people can play against the AI without all that SALT-y stuff.

Hopefully in the coming year I can add to this thread with further news until the day I am happy to release it.

Enjoy.

+ Show Spoiler +
If anyone knows how to mash together code and wants to help out I'm sure I could think of tasks to delegate to you. (the SC2 language is basically just a dumbed down version of C and it comes with an easy to use GUI).
Xiphias
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway2223 Posts
May 19 2015 16:58 GMT
#2
Very interesting. Would it be possible to add this AI to mods with other units than the default SC2 ones as well? (Once it's complete ofc).

We have an AI for Starbow, but it is very rough around the edges and basic. Would be nice to have some more "general" code to guide it.
aka KanBan85. Working on Starbow.
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
May 19 2015 17:19 GMT
#3
Hi Xiphias,

yeah, you can combine with other mods. Starbow I'm guessing is mostly created in the data editor, while this project is mostly created in the trigger editor which means that it should, in theory, be not very hard to cram them both into the one box.

As I mentioned in the vid, I've tried to write it in a very modular fashion meaning that you could remove units or slot others in and it should still work. There would be a some amount of work to instruct the AI how to use special abilities and the like but that would be small.

Having said that, I don't know how different starbow is from vanilla SC2. If you completely changed the dynamics of the game then it might not transition well.

The builds that this AI uses it can grab from replays using replay tools that other people have created. I don't know if anyone has made any replay analysis tools for starbow. So creating builds to guide it would be harder, though not impossible.
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
May 19 2015 21:51 GMT
#4
Its nice to see that somebody is trying this. I always felt like the SC2 AI was very disappointing. It got better in HotS (still not very good though) but in WoL it was aweful.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
May 20 2015 01:37 GMT
#5
--- Nuked ---
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
May 20 2015 14:26 GMT
#6
On May 20 2015 10:37 Barrin wrote:
You mentioned that it's not necessarily easy for different AI's to be compatible with each other without cooperation between their creators. But can the AI play itself (2 separate instances 1 game)?


It can play against itself. both sides would not have knowledge of the opponents forces except through scouting and would make descissions in isolation from eachother.

I could also alter it slightly to have the default Blizzard AI take control of one of the sides.

But if you wanted to build your own AI so we can battle it would be hard to do. We would have to make sure that there were no conflicts in the code, we would have to share our work with eachother and cooperate and we would probably need a knowledgable and neutral third party to go over our work with a fine tooth comb to ensure we weren't doing anything underhanded or giving ourselves an unfair advantage. In terms of organization and ensuring it is a fair fight I could see there being a lot of potential problems.
Uvantak
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Uruguay1381 Posts
May 20 2015 21:14 GMT
#7
I have such a boner for AI's and emergence in general, love to watching the development of them, I still recall when I used go to nibbits to check the newer Green and Dark Tea AI's.
@Kantuva | Mapmaker | KTVMaps.wordpress.com | Check my profile to see my TL map threads, and you can search for KTV in the Custom Games section to play them.
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
May 24 2015 12:14 GMT
#8
OK, so the mod is now OPEN SOURCE on the US server. Search for SALT. The latest version is v3.0.

It will not work out of the box, so you can either look at the source code and figure out how to get it running or watch this 3 minute video which will save you a lot of time.



I'm looking for partners to help develop the project, otherwise it will take me years to do alone. I've had a few people express interest. If you are also curious please PM me and I can add you to the skype group so you can see the discussion going on.

You don't have to be some coding genius to help make a contribution.

Even if you are just looking into the code for the sake of your curiosity you will undoubtably have a lot of questions so PM me anyway and I will be happy to help you understand whats going on, what I plan to do and why I've done things the way I did.

Thank you.
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
July 15 2015 17:34 GMT
#9
Let the AI battles BEGIN!


OK, so I've continued to tinker away in my spare time. DORFL is NOT near completion. It is SOOOOOooo far from being finalized.

But none the less... I decided to battle it against the Blizzard AI just for a laugh. And laugh I did, I also facepalmed... OK mostly facepalmed... a lot!

At one point DORFL is up in supply something crazy like 110 to 30 but it's actions were just so stupid that it couldn't possibly pull the victory. At one point it build an army out of observers

I am providing the replay for comedy purposes if anyone else wants to see. Ignore the first few seconds when it sets everything up. Also ignore all the text scrolling up the screen.

Here is the replay file which I uploaded to spawningtool.com

Player 1 in the bottom left corner is controlled by the Blizzard AI (I think it is on easy but not sure). The top right corner is player 2 which is controlled by DORFL.

before you laugh at me too much remember that this is the computers FIRST EVER game of SC2. I want you to think back to YOUR first ever game of SC2 and remember how bad you were in comparisson enjoy.
BrokenSegment
Profile Joined July 2015
36 Posts
July 15 2015 20:19 GMT
#10
Cool stuff! Please make more AI wars like that!
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
July 16 2015 02:44 GMT
#11
On July 16 2015 05:19 BrokenSegment wrote:
Cool stuff! Please make more AI wars like that!


LOL. I doubt I will ever have another AI battle that is quite like that. At least I hope not

DORFL will be getting much MUCH less stupid in the coming months. Hopefully it can outcompete the very hard Blizzard AI by the end of the year. (Blizzards insane AI uses maphacks and income hacks to be stronger so that's not a legitimate fight)

I'm coming for you Blizzard
LetaBot
Profile Blog Joined June 2014
Netherlands557 Posts
July 16 2015 14:02 GMT
#12
You can try to use the same strategy that Matthew Fischer used with his bot back in WOL. His ot could defeat all but the cheating one.

If you cannot win with 100 apm, win with 100 cpm.
BrokenSegment
Profile Joined July 2015
36 Posts
July 17 2015 05:46 GMT
#13
On July 16 2015 11:44 turtles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2015 05:19 BrokenSegment wrote:
Cool stuff! Please make more AI wars like that!


LOL. I doubt I will ever have another AI battle that is quite like that. At least I hope not

DORFL will be getting much MUCH less stupid in the coming months. Hopefully it can outcompete the very hard Blizzard AI by the end of the year. (Blizzards insane AI uses maphacks and income hacks to be stronger so that's not a legitimate fight)

I'm coming for you Blizzard


Well, I am sure it will be better. I don't want to watch bad AI fights either.
But the idea of AI dueling is very interesting to me, so I hope there will be more fights
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-14 17:11:39
August 14 2015 16:56 GMT
#14
STAR(craft) WARS II : attack of the AI




Last time I pitted the AI I am writing against the might (lol) of the Blizzard AI on the easiest difficulty... and I failed miserably But simply competing was a benchmark in itself.

Almost exactly one month on and I continue to improve Dorfl. After many trial runs I have decided I have reached the next benchmark: being able to consistently defeat the Blizzard normal difficulty AI. Out of a bunch of matches Dorfl won most of them. Here is the most recent replay I have of the two AIs battling it out to the death:

spawningtool.com/29988/

That link is to the page on spawningtool.com (an awesome sc2 website tool thing). The download link is on the right.

I chose that replay because Dorfl came close to losing and there was a nice bit of back and forth before the Blizzard AI crumbled under a relentless stream.

Let me state right off the bat: Dorfl is only about 45% complete. Before you watch the replay think about trying to drive a car which is only 45% complete and imagine how far you're going to get.



at the moment Dorfl:
  • can play all 3 races but is more familliar with Protoss (hence the PvP replay)
  • does not micro, it simply attack moves and hopes for the best
  • does not know what units are suitable for what roles.
  • does not know how to use abilities like warpgates, charge nexus, forcefield, or gravitational beam (which is why in the replay it builds lots of phoenix and does not know how to make them do anything useful)
  • has a 4 second reaction delay
  • Does not know how to harass. Any time it wants to harass the units just go to the centre of the map and sit there


But these will all be changing as time goes on. By October I hope Dorfl will learn how to harass and micro. By November I hope for it to be familliar with all three races. By NYE I hope to have Dorfl competent enough to beat the Blizzard hardest (non cheating) AI with any race and to be suitable for mid-level players to play against. After that who knows? + Show Spoiler +
Enslave all humanity skynet/matrix style? It's worth a shot.
Leviance
Profile Joined November 2009
Germany4079 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-15 22:43:05
August 15 2015 22:22 GMT
#15
Dear turtles,

PLEASE DO NOT STOP CREATING THE BEST AI SC2 HAS EVER SEEN (that doesnt cheat).

I love stuff like this and I hate that I can't program an AI. I second the guy who wants AI vs AI battles, I would watch anytime. And I would watch AI vs Human too if it's an actual dynamic, reacting, and not cheating AI.

Please don't give up anytime like some of the other AI programmers. Only stop when your A.I. beats a GM player convincingly

Edit: I can't watch the replays :[[[ are the files corrupted or is it sth on my end?
"Blizzard is never gonna nerf Terran because of those American and European fuck" - Korean Netizen
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
August 16 2015 11:19 GMT
#16
Hi Leviance, that is strange that you can't watch the replay. I don't know why, I just downloaded it and played it to check and it works for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think I'll be able to make it good enough to beat a GM. Maybe diamond players though. There's a reason lots of AIs cheat and that's because it's hard to do.

I will make a video in a month or so. Just because it beats the Blizzard AI doesn'tmean it plays a smooth game. Units are moving around the map eratically and it doesn't appear (at first glance) to have definite purpose. But when more work is done it will be smoothing out its play.

Getting someone to cast a game would be excellent but I would have to get in touch with a caster first.
Leviance
Profile Joined November 2009
Germany4079 Posts
August 16 2015 20:44 GMT
#17
No one expects a smooth game from an AI thats still in development. I would love to watch some games, but as I said, for some reason I cannot open these replay files (It says "map could not be opened" when I click on it to watch)
"Blizzard is never gonna nerf Terran because of those American and European fuck" - Korean Netizen
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
August 17 2015 00:59 GMT
#18
OHHH I think maybe I have an idea why that might be.

It says "map could not be opened" when I click on it to watch


The map I am playing around on is Derelict watchtower. It's just one that I use for consistencies sake because I had a copy of it lying around stored on my computer (also it's an average map with lot's of expos, XNT, rocks and wide open centre). However it's also very out of date (2013).

The replay files do not contain the map. So if you don't have the map on your computer (which is likely) maybe you can't see the replay file. That's my theory at least.

I'll make sure when I release replays I do it on up to date maps from now on. Thanks, glad I learned that lesson early.
Leviance
Profile Joined November 2009
Germany4079 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-17 22:18:47
August 17 2015 21:48 GMT
#19
sry double post
"Blizzard is never gonna nerf Terran because of those American and European fuck" - Korean Netizen
Leviance
Profile Joined November 2009
Germany4079 Posts
August 17 2015 22:18 GMT
#20
On August 18 2015 06:48 Leviance wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2015 09:59 turtles wrote:
OHHH I think maybe I have an idea why that might be.

It says "map could not be opened" when I click on it to watch


The map I am playing around on is Derelict watchtower. It's just one that I use for consistencies sake because I had a copy of it lying around stored on my computer (also it's an average map with lot's of expos, XNT, rocks and wide open centre). However it's also very out of date (2013).

The replay files do not contain the map. So if you don't have the map on your computer (which is likely) maybe you can't see the replay file. That's my theory at least.

I'll make sure when I release replays I do it on up to date maps from now on. Thanks, glad I learned that lesson early.


I have that map, still it says can't open map file. Can you upload your map file?

"Blizzard is never gonna nerf Terran because of those American and European fuck" - Korean Netizen
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 399
ProTech140
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25489
Calm 4628
Light 179
Barracks 104
910 98
Free 85
Zeus 81
Mind 80
Trap 41
Mini 38
[ Show more ]
Aegong 29
ToSsGirL 24
soO 24
Rock 22
Sexy 18
Sacsri 8
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9412
XaKoH 378
Counter-Strike
fl0m5904
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby1915
Other Games
singsing1985
FrodaN770
Beastyqt688
B2W.Neo560
mouzStarbuck311
crisheroes260
Livibee195
Hui .164
C9.Mang0134
RotterdaM125
KnowMe95
Trikslyr78
QueenE69
BRAT_OK 25
edward18
MindelVK12
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 19
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• Michael_bg 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2264
Other Games
• Shiphtur797
• imaqtpie366
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 26m
Big Brain Bouts
16h 26m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
23h 26m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
Patches Events
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.