• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:53
CEST 05:53
KST 12:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8006 users

[M] (2) Cruel Sire, Crossfire + Dual Site

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Normal
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 25 2013 05:49 GMT
#1
This sort of started as a fun project but eventually I decided to make a more serious map out of it and adjust terrain proportions a bit accordingly, still not extremely sure about a lot of things though.


[image loading]

Click for aesthetics and analyrics


I know the Lava textures don't look as good as they could, could only use 3 textures for them due to limits in the editor.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
[]Phase[]
Profile Joined September 2010
Belgium927 Posts
July 25 2013 11:18 GMT
#2
Fusion ha!

ok, im done.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
July 25 2013 11:21 GMT
#3
Ha this is pretty cool. I feel like the 3rd base should have a wider neck to the tower area though, since with the rocks it's like a two 3x3 walloff.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 25 2013 12:06 GMT
#4
On July 25 2013 20:21 EatThePath wrote:
Ha this is pretty cool. I feel like the 3rd base should have a wider neck to the tower area though, since with the rocks it's like a two 3x3 walloff.
Hmm, making it more choked up was actually one of the changes I made to make it from a fun map to a serious map including adding the rocks. My reasoning being that it's quite far from an already open natural that can be attacked from multiple fronts and harassable from the back so i needs that choke.

It also creates an interesting alternate defensive setup, like it's far away and easily harassble but easily holdable when someone just rams an army into that choke.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
TheFlexN
Profile Joined March 2012
Israel472 Posts
July 25 2013 18:57 GMT
#5
I love it that the most defencive 3rd is actualy the one that is closer to your enemy, thats probably one of the more original main/nat/3rd layout I have seen. I think the LoS blockers at the 9/3 bases are too close and will make it hard to place static defence in that area.
An Esports fan, playing SC2 and LoL because they are fun. Huge fan of mapmaking, Cloud Kingdom = best map ever made EVER.
swddrgn
Profile Joined April 2013
United States5 Posts
July 25 2013 20:57 GMT
#6
On July 25 2013 20:18 []Phase[] wrote:
Fusion ha!

ok, im done.




Hahaha, that made my day, thanks.

(on topic)
I wanna try this, but I suppose it's not gonna be posted on NA? it looks like it has potential.
Thyriaen
Profile Joined December 2011
Switzerland41 Posts
July 25 2013 21:00 GMT
#7
Hi,

i love Dual Sight and therefor i would love to see the Green side become more friendly like more colors, flowers everywhere - brither overall look.

But its your map so keep honest to urself !

Thyriaen
Timetwister22
Profile Joined March 2011
United States538 Posts
July 25 2013 21:57 GMT
#8
I actually like this map from you. The natural is kinda wonky, but the long distance between the two entrances helps out a lot with the two entrance design. If anything, could just add collapse rocks or w/e. The one thing I don't like are the towers. Since this map is designed with longer pathways in mind, attackers are more committed to their attacks as it's much harder to turn around or change position. With that said, the towers make it too easy to stop such a committed attack, yet at the same time without them base trades 'could' be an issue. Though, that is a very iffy 'could' and it might just be better to get rid of the towers all together. Will make this committed pathway concept work out better imo.
Former ESV Mapmaker | @Timetwister22
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 25 2013 22:37 GMT
#9
I don't know, I feel you need towers on maps with so many different attack paths or it becomes kind of random.

For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12056 Posts
July 25 2013 23:24 GMT
#10
On July 26 2013 07:37 SiskosGoatee wrote:
I don't know, I feel you need towers on maps with so many different attack paths or it becomes kind of random.

For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.


I don't think that's really true at all, zerg have overlords/single, terrans have floating buildings as mech or single marines as bio and protoss have pylons/observers for spotting.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Timetwister22
Profile Joined March 2011
United States538 Posts
July 25 2013 23:26 GMT
#11
On July 26 2013 08:24 Qikz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2013 07:37 SiskosGoatee wrote:
I don't know, I feel you need towers on maps with so many different attack paths or it becomes kind of random.

For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.


I don't think that's really true at all, zerg have overlords/single, terrans have floating buildings as mech or single marines as bio and protoss have pylons/observers for spotting.


Not to mention hallucination, mines, oracles, creep, changelings, speed overlords, etc. Scouting is easier than every in sc2 now a days, and having a map that rewards scouting, and severely punishes bad scouting is kinda neat.
Former ESV Mapmaker | @Timetwister22
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 25 2013 23:30 GMT
#12
On July 26 2013 07:37 SiskosGoatee wrote:
For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.

I notice this about the tileset description too. How about, instead of complaining about the editor's limitations, try to actually work around them. Can't publish a new map? Unpublish an old one, surely there's at least one map you can part with by this point.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 26 2013 04:05 GMT
#13
On July 26 2013 08:30 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2013 07:37 SiskosGoatee wrote:
For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.

I notice this about the tileset description too. How about, instead of complaining about the editor's limitations, try to actually work around them. Can't publish a new map? Unpublish an old one, surely there's at least one map you can part with by this point.
Well, that's not really working around a limitation is it? That's just being limited by it in the exact way I was complaining about.

Working around a limitation would be like. 'You can't have the char/belshir rocks in one map, so what I did was making a model variation which sends an actor message to change the texture set apply group to hack around this.'.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 26 2013 05:21 GMT
#14
On July 26 2013 13:05 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2013 08:30 NewSunshine wrote:
On July 26 2013 07:37 SiskosGoatee wrote:
For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.

I notice this about the tileset description too. How about, instead of complaining about the editor's limitations, try to actually work around them. Can't publish a new map? Unpublish an old one, surely there's at least one map you can part with by this point.
Well, that's not really working around a limitation is it? That's just being limited by it in the exact way I was complaining about.

Working around a limitation would be like. 'You can't have the char/belshir rocks in one map, so what I did was making a model variation which sends an actor message to change the texture set apply group to hack around this.'.

Saying the textures you use can't look good because of 'limitations in the editor' is a weak excuse, and you're not about to lecture me of all people on constraints and limitations. Testbug managed to look good, despite splitting its textures 3 ways. It all comes down to the textures you choose, and how you use them. If the result is bad, then it's more on you than the editor. Pick better textures, or just get better. There I said it.

And seriously, 20 maps isn't enough? By the time you get to the point where 20 isn't enough, there's almost certainly a few maps that you want to get rid of anyway, unless you just aren't improving, and despite how much your arguments irritate me, I'd venture to say you've improved substantially. Pick a bad map to nuke and move on, so that people who like your new map, can actually play it. Don't blame Blizzard for that one.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-26 05:49:32
July 26 2013 05:48 GMT
#15
On July 26 2013 14:21 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2013 13:05 SiskosGoatee wrote:
On July 26 2013 08:30 NewSunshine wrote:
On July 26 2013 07:37 SiskosGoatee wrote:
For people wanting to play it, you can thank Blizzard's 20 map limit for that it isn't published.

I notice this about the tileset description too. How about, instead of complaining about the editor's limitations, try to actually work around them. Can't publish a new map? Unpublish an old one, surely there's at least one map you can part with by this point.
Well, that's not really working around a limitation is it? That's just being limited by it in the exact way I was complaining about.

Working around a limitation would be like. 'You can't have the char/belshir rocks in one map, so what I did was making a model variation which sends an actor message to change the texture set apply group to hack around this.'.

Saying the textures you use can't look good because of 'limitations in the editor' is a weak excuse, and you're not about to lecture me of all people on constraints and limitations. Testbug managed to look good, despite splitting its textures 3 ways
The textures of testbug look awful man. And this is in no way something you can blame the artist of, he did the best with the tools he had at hand but ultimately you can't make etcetera-grade texture blends working with only 2 textures per quadrant.

Dual Site itself also looks unfinished because of this same reason. It's just a concession you're going to have to make if you want to make a dual themed map like this, neither side is going to look particularly refined.

It all comes down to the textures you choose, and how you use them. If the result is bad, then it's more on you than the editor. Pick better textures, or just get better. There I said it.
Of course it doesn't 'all' come down to that, if you only have 3 textures to work with it's just not going to look amazing no matter the skill of the texturer, let's face it.

And seriously, 20 maps isn't enough? By the time you get to the point where 20 isn't enough, there's almost certainly a few maps that you want to get rid of anyway, unless you just aren't improving, and despite how much your arguments irritate me, I'd venture to say you've improved substantially. Pick a bad map to nuke and move on, so that people who like your new map, can actually play it. Don't blame Blizzard for that one.
It's not about improving, it's about that some people still have replays on those maps which they might want to watch and they can't any more if the map gets removed, or play on it.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 26 2013 06:26 GMT
#16
Show nested quote +
Saying the textures you use can't look good because of 'limitations in the editor' is a weak excuse, and you're not about to lecture me of all people on constraints and limitations. Testbug managed to look good, despite splitting its textures 3 ways
The textures of testbug look awful man. And this is in no way something you can blame the artist of, he did the best with the tools he had at hand but ultimately you can't make etcetera-grade texture blends working with only 2 textures per quadrant.

I wasn't aware we were talking about a quad-themed map here.

Show nested quote +
It all comes down to the textures you choose, and how you use them. If the result is bad, then it's more on you than the editor. Pick better textures, or just get better. There I said it.
Of course it doesn't 'all' come down to that, if you only have 3 textures to work with it's just not going to look amazing no matter the skill of the texturer, let's face it.

Or let's not. Dual Sight, despite what you say, manages to pull off both themes rather well, and it did it partially by choosing textures that enhanced both themes, instead of picking textures explicitly for one or the other.

Show nested quote +
And seriously, 20 maps isn't enough? By the time you get to the point where 20 isn't enough, there's almost certainly a few maps that you want to get rid of anyway, unless you just aren't improving, and despite how much your arguments irritate me, I'd venture to say you've improved substantially. Pick a bad map to nuke and move on, so that people who like your new map, can actually play it. Don't blame Blizzard for that one.
It's not about improving, it's about that some people still have replays on those maps which they might want to watch and they can't any more if the map gets removed, or play on it.

I'm fairly certain you just made this one up. And even if it's true, oh well? I'm sure the people who played your old maps won't lose any sleep or hair over it. Old maps get unpublished, it happens. In fact, this is perhaps the weakest excuse I've ever seen, try harder.

Overall I just get the feeling you made this map explicitly so you could complain about everything the editor does. Textures look like shit? Blame Blizzard for that, the editor doesn't let me use 20 textures at once. Can't play the map? I couldn't publish, blame Blizzard for that.

I will also say that although I like certain aspects of the map, mostly because it lifts things straight out of Crossfire, your two signature touches are still somehow present, and I don't see why. The main bases are the only part of the edges that don't touch the playable borders, and every mineral is annoyingly close to the edge, making air harass even stronger than it already is. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. Also, the "Icarus" bases you've become so fond of. If it was a natural expansion, I might concede that they have a noticeable impact in certain scenarios, since early boosts in income can snowball later in the game, or accelerate specific timings done in the early game. Here, when all 4 of these expansions are 4th bases at the earliest, what impact is it going to have? Probably none. Neither of the two things I've pointed out seem to add anything to the map, and seem to be there only for the sake of being there.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 26 2013 06:38 GMT
#17
On July 26 2013 15:26 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
Saying the textures you use can't look good because of 'limitations in the editor' is a weak excuse, and you're not about to lecture me of all people on constraints and limitations. Testbug managed to look good, despite splitting its textures 3 ways
The textures of testbug look awful man. And this is in no way something you can blame the artist of, he did the best with the tools he had at hand but ultimately you can't make etcetera-grade texture blends working with only 2 textures per quadrant.

I wasn't aware we were talking about a quad-themed map here.
You said Testbug looks well, I'm saying it doesn't, that's all, but again, you really can't fault the texturer in this case.

Show nested quote +
It all comes down to the textures you choose, and how you use them. If the result is bad, then it's more on you than the editor. Pick better textures, or just get better. There I said it.
Of course it doesn't 'all' come down to that, if you only have 3 textures to work with it's just not going to look amazing no matter the skill of the texturer, let's face it.

Or let's not. Dual Sight, despite what you say, manages to pull off both themes rather well, and it did it partially by choosing textures that enhanced both themes, instead of picking textures explicitly for one or the other.[/quote]Dual Site's textures also don't look amazing and pretty bland at either side honestly. Especially the lava side looks really bland.


I'm fairly certain you just made this one up. And even if it's true, oh well? I'm sure the people who played your old maps won't lose any sleep or hair over it. Old maps get unpublished, it happens. In fact, this is perhaps the weakest excuse I've ever seen, try harder.
I'm sure old maps get unpublished, but as it stands, I like each of the 20 maps and mods I have published now more than this one so I'm not going to trade this one for any of them, that's all.

Overall I just get the feeling you made this map explicitly so you could complain about everything the editor does. Textures look like shit? Blame Blizzard for that, the editor doesn't let me use 20 textures at once. Can't play the map? I couldn't publish, blame Blizzard for that.
Such nonsense, I made it because I wanted to fuse Dual Site and Crossfire. I could make any map to complain about the 20 limit since I've been at the 20 limit for quite a while and have to choose which map/mod I retain and I'm not going to trade any of the maps I currently have for this one because I like each of them more, that's all.

I will also say that although I like certain aspects of the map, mostly because it lifts things straight out of Crossfire, your two signature touches are still somehow present, and I don't see why. The main bases are the only part of the edges that don't touch the playable borders
This is part of Dual Site though.

and every mineral is annoyingly close to the edge, making air harass even stronger than it already is. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. Also, the "Icarus" bases you've become so fond of. If it was a natural expansion, I might concede that they have a noticeable impact in certain scenarios, since early boosts in income can snowball later in the game, or accelerate specific timings done in the early game. Here, when all 4 of these expansions are 4th bases at the earliest, what impact is it going to have? Probably none. Neither of the two things I've pointed out seem to add anything to the map, and seem to be there only for the sake of being there.


Obviously the reason for making air space and putting mineral lines close to the edge is exactly what you said, it's to make air harass and drops stronger, play I like to see instead of people turtling and death balling. I've actually grown more fond of Icarus bases as aggressive thirds than as naturals currently. You can take a forward icarus base and use it as a staging point for a push, they need less workers to saturate and don't provide as much income as a normal base but it can be used for an aggressive staging point which I like, the ratio is just right, 6 patches providing 7 patches worth of income.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-26 09:01:35
July 26 2013 08:58 GMT
#18
On July 26 2013 15:38 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Obviously the reason for making air space and putting mineral lines close to the edge is exactly what you said, it's to make air harass and drops stronger, play I like to see instead of people turtling and death balling. I've actually grown more fond of Icarus bases as aggressive thirds than as naturals currently. You can take a forward icarus base and use it as a staging point for a push, they need less workers to saturate and don't provide as much income as a normal base but it can be used for an aggressive staging point which I like, the ratio is just right, 6 patches providing 7 patches worth of income.



I think putting mineral lines closer to airspace edges helps air unit harass more than it helps drops, though both are easier because it's harder to punish with ranged units. A cleanup crew of zerglings and banelings still works just as effectively, but the queen anti-air is less threatening, and if you place static defense it'll disrupt mining.

Are you expecting a player to take one of the Icarus bases as an aggressive 3rd? Like a zerg that has map control gearing up for a 2 base push, building a macro hatchery in a place where it will also provide a slightly stronger income. Or a 160 supply pushing mech terran? I'm having trouble seeing a real use for them, given how much of a risk they are, and how easy they are to scout, unless people are placated so terribly by the watch towers that they don't scout additionally.

I like the main/nat/3rd and the attack paths on the first 3 bases. I also like the far open corner third that I could see a ling bane zerg taking but it's still pretty easy to harass because of the high ground. I would prefer textures that are a little more extreme for the burned area, but I think at the least some contrast would help considerably. The brighter lava cracks at a lower opacity will look pretty similar to the darker lava cracks that you've used here, giving you the opportunity to bring a little more contrast too. I would also suggest a cracked dirt or rock that doesn't have the same value/tone as the softer dirt texture.

If you chose a black/very dark rock/shale texture instead of the cracked char dirt (or something like that?) you could probably overlay it onto some of the small bel'shir tiles in order to support the man made cliffs on the burned side.


It's not about improving, it's about that some people still have replays on those maps which they might want to watch and they can't any more if the map gets removed, or play on it.



I'm sure old maps get unpublished, but as it stands, I like each of the 20 maps and mods I have published now more than this one so I'm not going to trade this one for any of them, that's all.


So... it is about improving?
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-26 09:11:19
July 26 2013 09:10 GMT
#19
On July 26 2013 17:58 RFDaemoniac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2013 15:38 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Obviously the reason for making air space and putting mineral lines close to the edge is exactly what you said, it's to make air harass and drops stronger, play I like to see instead of people turtling and death balling. I've actually grown more fond of Icarus bases as aggressive thirds than as naturals currently. You can take a forward icarus base and use it as a staging point for a push, they need less workers to saturate and don't provide as much income as a normal base but it can be used for an aggressive staging point which I like, the ratio is just right, 6 patches providing 7 patches worth of income.



I think putting mineral lines closer to airspace edges helps air unit harass more than it helps drops, though both are easier because it's harder to punish with ranged units. A cleanup crew of zerglings and banelings still works just as effectively, but the queen anti-air is less threatening, and if you place static defense it'll disrupt mining.

Are you expecting a player to take one of the Icarus bases as an aggressive 3rd? Like a zerg that has map control gearing up for a 2 base push, building a macro hatchery in a place where it will also provide a slightly stronger income. Or a 160 supply pushing mech terran? I'm having trouble seeing a real use for them, given how much of a risk they are, and how easy they are to scout, unless people are placated so terribly by the watch towers that they don't scout additionally.
Yeah, exactly that. Especially in TvX. The point is that as T you want around 60 workers, not the 75 or 80 you generally see P/Z at. 60 workers don't fully saturate 3 bases anyway so you might as well take a 6 patch base. Alternatively they're just in general for each race staging points for low eco aggressive pushes. I've used them a lot in maps and I like how they work out.

If you chose a black/very dark rock/shale texture instead of the cracked char dirt (or something like that?) you could probably overlay it onto some of the small bel'shir tiles in order to support the man made cliffs on the burned side.
It's worth a try honestly.



So... it is about improving?
Improving imply newer maps automatically get better than old map. This map in particular just started as something fun rather than a serious map so naturally I'm not extremely content with the result. Especially the top left / bottom right far thirds ended up awkward trying to slam crossfire and Dual Site together. There's a lot of Terrain awkwardness in this map so I'm not going to sacrifice one of the 20 maps I have uploaded which I have no such qualms with for this one.

I've also been ripping off crossfire more times than I ca remember, I have an unhealthy obsession with the high ground pods of crossfire for some reason.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 27 2013 06:45 GMT
#20
Well, gave it a try, couldn't really get it to work. Maybe it's I though, I'm well known for refusing to accept limitations and being kind of a 'MY VISION SHALL NOT BE COMPROMISED!' kind of snob who often abandons things altogether when something can be realized only by approximation.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 27 2013 08:10 GMT
#21
I still think that the main/nat/thirds are very clever. I like the two attack paths through the center that enable a multi-entrance natural and the forward third.

I don't think that the Icarus bases are appropriate here. I've been trying to encourage a forward staging point or a hidden base with 4 gold minerals and 1 high yield geysers. You need very few workers to gain your investment back quickly, but it's not as strong in the long run because of the less than full-base income and partially also because it mines out faster.

I'm also now considering hosting an exercise for combining the concepts of two professionally used maps.

RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
August 03 2013 03:33 GMT
#22
Would you be willing to post the map file? I'm tempted to mess around with this and recreation feels a little messy.
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
August 03 2013 04:14 GMT
#23
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6i27rvqOhZiaDlFd2RTeHpWdmM/ 'ere ye go laddie.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
August 03 2013 07:31 GMT
#24
Thanks

I present this evening's bastardization.

Changelog:
1) murdered the airspace (though I may bring the extra squares around the edges back, the map is now rectangular)
2) brought the base above the main closer to the natural and moved the center highground farther away so it'd be a potential third
3) added a drop place/reaper entrance to the main
3) added an island base
4) brought most minerals away from the edges except for the forward third and the new island base which are now harassable by roaches.
5) made the 4 and 10 bases standard gold bases, encouraging a forward 4th after the forward high ground 3rd. This may give a free 5th but I'm hoping that you might almost mine out and then be pushed out of there if your opponent is expanding to the island.
6) reshaped all of the cliffs to my preference
7) removed the towers

I'm still not happy with the middle and the bases at 3/4 and 9/10, which was really what I set out to change in the first place, but I'll come back to it tomorrow. I'm thinking about raising all of the low ground terrain up one level. It'll help with visibility when harassing the forward thirds and I think will give more freedom with the middle. I also plan on keeping the low ground path between the two forward high grounds pathable for reapers and colossi.

[image loading]
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
August 03 2013 07:36 GMT
#25
Obligatory mention of how overlords can't check the natural mineral line and how fitting it into a box makes some of the proportions look weird.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2432
Shinee 45
NotJumperer 18
Noble 10
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1010
NeuroSwarm197
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft405
Other Games
summit1g7268
Coldzera 763
JimRising 693
C9.Mang0376
PiGStarcraft272
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1019
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream351
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1017
• Rush896
• Stunt149
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 7m
Afreeca Starleague
6h 7m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
20h 7m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.