• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:30
CEST 23:30
KST 06:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8173 users

[M] (8) Black Mesa

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-29 06:49:37
February 27 2012 21:39 GMT
#1
Black Mesa

[image loading]

by TheFish
Published on <NA>

Uploaded as "Black Mesa Research Facility"
8 Player 4v4
Size 200x240

Changelog;
Version 1.0 finally finished
Completely revamped the Terrain, Textures, Doodads, and Pathing

Overview
[image loading]


Pictures (Aesthetics)
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Pictures (Map Analyzer)
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Info:

Textures - Mar Sara with New Folsom Rock & Dirt, Agria Grass
Cliffs - Mar Sara natural & Korhal Manmade
Bases - 28

The map theme is from Black Mesa, New Mexico, the setting of Half-Life 1
This is the second version I've posted here, the first to be published.
I wanted to create something a bit different from the blizz 4v4 maps in the ladder pool, particularly something oriented towards the macro game. I've found that if I get on 3 bases in a 4v4 game, the game is probably about to end. Hopefully this will provide players with greater expansion opportunity, at high risk to reward, with lots of open space to move around in.

I would like to create a team monobattles version if anyone can fill me in on that...
Feedback is appreciated

Original Post Here:

+ Show Spoiler +
Black Mesa

Made By - TheFish
Soon to be published on NA
Also planning to make a Team Monobattles version if I can get permission to use someone's triggers and put their name on it

Playable - 200x240 (Epic), 22 bases.
Textures - Custom - Mar Sara, New Folsom, Agria, Char

[image loading]

Intro / Inspiration: My 3rd map, I wanted to create a top vs bottom 4v4 map, I am building on the experience I gained from creating my last map Electric Funeral Which I felt was a great exercise but with an inherently flawed layout. I am still working on the aesthetics a bit, particularly;

1. Texturing/doodading. I'm still learning here, and I think the current setup is a bit too... busy on the eyes in terms of textures and light on creative doodads.
2. The ramps and setup of the middle, and how they pertain to balancing engagements and base positions
3. the high-ground bases on the sides are a bit bland ATM, also considering adding another base in these areas.

(I also want to allude to the map name -see below- using doodads, etc - You know, make it look like the black mesa research facility - I tried working this a bit around the edges and in the center but I'm sure I can do better.)


Pics:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Analyzer - (it seems to be messing up, since its 8 player, No I'm pretty sure the main bases are not 55 CC's big...)

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


Feedback is welcome, and before anyone asks, yes the name/theme was inspired by Black Mesa, New Mexico which is where Half-Life 1 takes place.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
February 27 2012 22:12 GMT
#2
the expansions are too damn far
DomiNater
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States527 Posts
February 27 2012 22:22 GMT
#3
The ramp is horrible on the middle bases for 2 players. You need to do something with that, or the odd man left out in each corner will get rushed by any competent players since his ramp is so far away from his 3 partners.
After I captured the elephant in the room, swept her under the rug for the hell of it... I welcome you to the melting through, of a planet that was selfish in its development of a healthy view.
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-27 22:52:10
February 27 2012 22:51 GMT
#4
On February 28 2012 07:12 Sea_Food wrote:
the expansions are too damn far


Thanks for the feedback, but could you please be more specific? I'm guessing what you mean is that the two players who spawn in the double-base will have a hard time holding a second base.

On February 28 2012 07:22 DomiNater wrote:
The ramp is horrible on the middle bases for 2 players. You need to do something with that, or the odd man left out in each corner will get rushed by any competent players since his ramp is so far away from his 3 partners.


You make a valid point, and after reading both of these I immediately thought of a couple simple solutions-

1. I could move the double-base closer to the center, (Imagine you're looking at the bottom team) I'd eliminate the two middle ramps leading down to the center, (as well as the current main ramp) and put two small ramps on the south west and south east corners of the double-base. I'd also add at least one expansion in the newly- created space at the bottom. Of course, I'd have to make it so you can't cliff walk from the middle to the main base, and it would leave 4 players very close by air...

2. Simply get rid of the big ramp and put two small ramps on the sides.

3. Split the double base into two, laying them out horizontally, putting one close to the middle, so it looks a bit like Lava Flow.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 00:14:11
February 27 2012 23:54 GMT
#5
This map seems to have the same problem all of Blizzard's 4v4 maps do: The expansions are too far, too infrequent and the main bases have WAY more space allocated to them than needed. Just about every main base you could cut in half or like 5/8ths and add another expansion for each player. Every player has a natural and if they're lucky, a third which makes it basically the same as every other 4v4 blizzard map and isn't interesting at all. Given the cheesy nature of 4v4 as well as the fact that you don't need anywhere near that much space in your main to build all of your buildings, you could very easily re-allocate that space to additional expansions making the map more fun for the players who don't die to the initial rush of 6pools and 10rax.

The double wide ramps on the mains, even though there are 2 players in the base make it much more vulnerable to cheese and when you have to open with some hyper aggressive opening just to stay in the game, the map really doesn't do anything. Definitely suggest shrinking them down to make things more defensible

Secondly, the aesthetics leave something to be desired (and I can see that you're working on them). Try to avoid using straight lines in your terrain and shake up the texturing a little bit more. It shouldn't look quite as blotchy, blending everything a little better will make the map feel much more authentic

I like where it's headed and I hope it turns into a really solid and unique 4v4 map when it's done

EDIT: Here's an example of an aesthetically well-0done map using the the same tileset as you are (or very close, anyway) ESV Discord
+ Show Spoiler [ESV Discord] +
[image loading]
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 01:41:58
February 28 2012 01:39 GMT
#6
Thanks, ProdiG, that helps tremendously! Discord looks awesome - I may have to steal some ideas from it ;-)

Its nice when you work part-time, because I've been working on this thing all day, and of course the aesthetics aren't done - I decided to re-texture since I was pretty much going to have to anyway and I wasn't happy with the original to begin with, but here is the new layout if anyone is interested and wants to give feedback

I decided to go with option #1 from my previous post, all the bases are now smaller, and I added 6 bases in total, bringing it to 28 total, 4 more than any ladder map if I'm not mistaken.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
February 28 2012 01:53 GMT
#7
That looks like WAY more fun but there's a lot of unneccessary openness throughout the map still. You need to keep things a bit more open since it's 4v4 but I wouldn't think quite to the point it is now (specifically talking the open space around the expansions directly above/below the mains (the would-be 3rds)

I also feel like some of the nats are a bit far away (particularly the two middle ones) and you coould pull them closer (maybe even add a semi-island cliff and add an expo there while positioning the two middle nats below it)

My final concerns is for the center mains, the gas looks pretty close to the edge and I wouldn't be surprised if tanks could hit the outer geysers from below. It'd be a rare occurence but it's an easy fix and not a really good "feature" to have imo
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 02:20:01
February 28 2012 02:19 GMT
#8
Yea, I did want to keep things really open, especially since there are so many bases and therefore probably 8 deathballs wandering around. What I plan on doing is adding some aesthetic features that will cut down on some of the openness around the mains.

I think your right about the two middle naturals, and while I'm hesitant to add any more bases I think I'll probably change that area around a bit and bring them closer to the double-main.

The double-main is currently seigeable from the low ground, but I'll be fixing that for sure. Since there is some dead space in there, I'm going to play some half life for inspiration and then tackle that area tomorrow.

Thanks again, ProdiG
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
February 29 2012 22:32 GMT
#9
Updated. Completely revamped the terrain, textures, doodads.

I also changed some of the textures from the original - here is what I used

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
March 01 2012 01:26 GMT
#10
This map looks so good!!! I expect to see this on ladder soon ^.^
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
TGGC
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany17 Posts
September 01 2012 20:38 GMT
#11
If you play a 3v3 on this map, what spawns are allowed? Is it possible to restrict the spawns to either the two mid bases + the one on the left or the right?
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
September 01 2012 22:05 GMT
#12
Right now, its only set up for 4v4, so if you were to play a 3v3 on it I think you'd just get random top v bottom spawns.

I'm not 100%, but I think it would be possible to set up a 3v3 game mode, where the shared bases are automatically picked as spawn locations. You would need to do this by going into Team Placement (Advanced) under 'Map', and creating a couple possible 3v3 game modes.

Feel free to download the map and play with it / upload it to EU.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/anfef86n90z6711/ckZ5BIXL8P
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 176
JuggernautJason123
Nina 107
SpeCial 38
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 175
firebathero 78
910 38
NaDa 31
Counter-Strike
Fnx 815
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0154
PPMD22
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9449
Liquid`Hasu1744
crisheroes1523
Trikslyr90
Other Games
summit1g6651
Liquid`RaSZi5812
Beastyqt694
shahzam496
ToD214
B2W.Neo214
Pyrionflax189
KnowMe136
ArmadaUGS84
ZombieGrub81
JimRising 78
IndyStarCraft 62
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream356
Other Games
BasetradeTV200
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 30
• Eskiya23 20
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV544
League of Legends
• TFBlade1281
Other Games
• imaqtpie1057
• Shiphtur264
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 31m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 31m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.