• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:55
CEST 04:55
KST 11:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9796 users

TL Map Making Contest - Page 27

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
532 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 All
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
November 10 2011 06:03 GMT
#521
On November 10 2011 14:58 FlopTurnReaver wrote:
I'd wait another day or so with that^^

lol, wasn't going to do it now, my timezone and work schedule would not agree with that decision.
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
November 10 2011 06:07 GMT
#522
On November 10 2011 14:32 Barrin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 14:15 SpoR wrote:
I hope you guys release a pack of all the submissions as well as the top 7 or whatever. I wanna see em all.

Indeed that is valuable information. I think Plexa said they wont do that though; people will post their submissions if they want them to be seen.

I don't want to upload submissions for two reasons
- intensifies any "XXX map" should have won comments
- I don't want to upload maps without permission, some authors may want to keep their entries secret for whatever reason

If I planned to showcase the maps I would have needed a "TL will post all submissions" statement somewhere in this post.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
November 10 2011 06:15 GMT
#523
Plexa I have a question. If he winning map will be chosen by mere votes after the tournament, isn't it kind of obvious that haven's lagoon already won? I don't think people watching the open tournament is going to change their mind when they've already been indicated that the play testers liked it best.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 06:25:32
November 10 2011 06:23 GMT
#524
On November 10 2011 15:15 IronManSC wrote:
Plexa I have a question. If he winning map will be chosen by mere votes after the tournament, isn't it kind of obvious that haven's lagoon already won? I don't think people watching the open tournament is going to change their mind when they've already been indicated that the play testers liked it best.

I disagree. I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals. They'll be put into a post and people can vote after that. Plus there is the staff vote as well which might change things. And I definitely wouldn't say play testers liked it best, I merely emphasized the point on that map because I knew some people would be a bit upset by it being chosen.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 06:55:21
November 10 2011 06:54 GMT
#525
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
November 10 2011 08:28 GMT
#526
On November 10 2011 15:54 Sea_Food wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.


let's ask someone who is goof in counterstrike!

seriously, who's opinion would you value when it comes to maps? casters? random chosen average joe? popular vote? mapmakers?
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
November 10 2011 09:20 GMT
#527
On November 10 2011 17:28 Samro225am wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 15:54 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.


let's ask someone who is goof in counterstrike!

seriously, who's opinion would you value when it comes to maps? casters? random chosen average joe? popular vote? mapmakers?

map makers
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
November 10 2011 10:08 GMT
#528
On November 10 2011 18:20 Sea_Food wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 17:28 Samro225am wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:54 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.


let's ask someone who is goof in counterstrike!

seriously, who's opinion would you value when it comes to maps? casters? random chosen average joe? popular vote? mapmakers?

map makers

Essentially, every map maker of note entered the contest. How can they judge a contest which has their own entry in it.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
November 10 2011 10:12 GMT
#529
On November 10 2011 19:08 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 18:20 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 17:28 Samro225am wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:54 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.


let's ask someone who is goof in counterstrike!

seriously, who's opinion would you value when it comes to maps? casters? random chosen average joe? popular vote? mapmakers?

map makers

Essentially, every map maker of note entered the contest. How can they judge a contest which has their own entry in it.


Judgin own map unbiased is almost impossible I agree, but I dont find any reason why a map maker could not judge every other map in the competion, even if he has hes own maps in the same pool.
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
November 10 2011 10:17 GMT
#530
On November 10 2011 19:12 Sea_Food wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 19:08 Plexa wrote:
On November 10 2011 18:20 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 17:28 Samro225am wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:54 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.


let's ask someone who is goof in counterstrike!

seriously, who's opinion would you value when it comes to maps? casters? random chosen average joe? popular vote? mapmakers?

map makers

Essentially, every map maker of note entered the contest. How can they judge a contest which has their own entry in it.


Judgin own map unbiased is almost impossible I agree, but I dont find any reason why a map maker could not judge every other map in the competion, even if he has hes own maps in the same pool.


i have the impression map makers tend to emphasize technical aspects, balance and aesthetics and as we are a small elitest group - yes we are cause there are so few map makers in comparison to players - we have made a meta-mapmaking so to speak, what to do and what not to do. lots of good ideas do not get through in this forums possibly, because the map is flawed in many other spots.

so having mapmakers discussing maps is like designers talk about transportations design/cars. it might be more intelligent to let the marketing experts have a voice and the consumers.
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
November 10 2011 10:25 GMT
#531
On November 10 2011 19:17 Samro225am wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 19:12 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 19:08 Plexa wrote:
On November 10 2011 18:20 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 17:28 Samro225am wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:54 Sea_Food wrote:
On November 10 2011 15:23 Plexa wrote:
I plan to get some comments from any notable participants including the four players who make it to the semifinals.


I find it silly that you value someones opinion on how good a map is, because they are good at playing starcraft2.


let's ask someone who is goof in counterstrike!

seriously, who's opinion would you value when it comes to maps? casters? random chosen average joe? popular vote? mapmakers?

map makers

Essentially, every map maker of note entered the contest. How can they judge a contest which has their own entry in it.


Judgin own map unbiased is almost impossible I agree, but I dont find any reason why a map maker could not judge every other map in the competion, even if he has hes own maps in the same pool.


i have the impression map makers tend to emphasize technical aspects, balance and aesthetics and as we are a small elitest group - yes we are cause there are so few map makers in comparison to players - we have made a meta-mapmaking so to speak, what to do and what not to do. lots of good ideas do not get through in this forums possibly, because the map is flawed in many other spots.

so having mapmakers discussing maps is like designers talk about transportations design/cars. it might be more intelligent to let the marketing experts have a voice and the consumers.


There is a reason why when 99% of the products of the world were desinged, the desingers did not ask consumers directly what they want, but instead decided themselfs what is the best for them. I see pro gamers only experts of maps they have played +150 games on personally.
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 10:28:48
November 10 2011 10:28 GMT
#532
blizzard has no need for very complex and too large maps in the mappool.
if you do not understand this...

edit: btw: "have a voice" is not the same like decide
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
November 10 2011 10:35 GMT
#533
On November 10 2011 19:28 Samro225am wrote:
blizzard has no need for very complex and too large maps in the mappool.
if you do not understand this...


This is why I think most of the maps in the final 7 are way too complex myself.


edit: btw: "have a voice" is not the same like decide


I understand that, and that is why I never said or never ment to say anything like that.
Prev 1 25 26 27 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings116
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 223
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10576
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1144
NeuroSwarm198
febbydoto17
League of Legends
Doublelift5452
JimRising 712
Counter-Strike
taco 248
minikerr47
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King262
hungrybox119
Other Games
summit1g9411
Maynarde241
ArmadaUGS53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick468
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 209
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo726
• Rush264
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 6m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 6m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 6m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.