- Open Data View
- Select Actors from Data Type
- Search for 'siege' - we are going to use the siege[d] tank entry as a template
- Under Range, CActorRange, Not Doodad, the siege tank entry should be visible
- Copy and Paste this actor, and then modifiy the naming to fit your needs
- In the main Data Window, under the Events tab, we're only going to keep the entries related to the editor. remove the rest.
- In the Weapon tab, select the weapon of your unit/building
- Back in the Events tab, we need to set this to the proper unit. Normally, the Source Name drop down list would allow you to select it for most events. However, its not available here, so we have to modify it manually
- Select Table View, and Select Raw Data view from the bottoms at the top
- Find the CActorBase_On + field and double click to modify it. In my example here, we are using the Spore Crawler,
Note this is a very long string and you need to go through it to replace all the entries
- To verify, you can return to the normal view and the entry should now list your unit
- Finally, you can place your unit, select it, and the range will visible just as the siege tank was!
Disclaimer: I am by no means an advanced map maker. I'm not well versed in custom map creation so in the steps above, things like the naming nomenclature may be require trial and error to get right. Also, there might be something I have overlooked but so far, there's nothing else I've noticed, and this works as intended. Galaxy Editor did crash once while doing this (yet unusually hasn't since in retries), so take caution.
Please use this guide to further explore what can be done both in the editor and in game.
Thanks for reading!