• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:12
CEST 12:12
KST 19:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9024 users

[M] (2) Glacial Spike

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
January 06 2011 22:23 GMT
#1
--- Nuked ---
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
January 06 2011 22:48 GMT
#2
Very nice, i especially like the terrain work and lightning. MotM #1 will be hard for our judges ^^
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 22:59:39
January 06 2011 22:58 GMT
#3
--- Nuked ---
Slunk
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany768 Posts
January 06 2011 23:16 GMT
#4
Haha, after seeing this map I was certain that your icon would be zerg. Well, playing zerg myself I would love to play this map, however I think that tzhe extreme open middle and the big distances between bases might make it difficult for terran and protoss players to get a good attack going.
Very nice design though.
forelmashi
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
421 Posts
January 06 2011 23:16 GMT
#5
looks nice
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 06 2011 23:26 GMT
#6
I like the general layout, but I think it might be a bit too open in the middle though.
Have never tested the watchtower + rock combination, so I have no idea how that will effect early gameplay, will be interesting to test (but the rocks limit early openness a bit, which is a plus).

Never thought about using the terrain tools like that to do mountains/hills outside the map, that is a really good (and nice looking) idea! And the blue fog looks really atmospheric, I like that (also the minor details around the sides of the map, I never really got the hang of that last time, I think).

Finally some critique on the texturing, it looks a bit one dimensional and rushed (but getting it done in time is better than nothing ).
It is good that you have chosen a separate texture style for the non-pathable cliffs, but I think you should have mixed in more different textures there too, from what I can see it looks like you've used the area fill tool a bit too much.

A question though; why do you have so many weather doodads around the sides of the map? Seems a bit excessive.

PS. MotM #1 will be very very interesting, wishing you good luck!
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
January 06 2011 23:31 GMT
#7
Great design, and as always, nice to see another ice title set! There are really cool! Aesthetics on this map are amazing and really have blown me away, nice job!

@ Slunk - I do not think that the middle is as large as you may believe. I think that Terran and Protoss will stand a good chance on this map, even in the middle.

Two high yield expansions are ok, but on this map, I think that the one out farther away from the spawns should not be a high yield expansion because of how difficult it would be to scout and how it only comes into play later game. When I run into this on my maps, I usually put a nine mineral two gas expansion on the location that seems less likely to be a high yield expansion.

The high ground expansions are a nice touch to this map, and something that I haven't seem in SCII maps that much yet. I really like the idea!

Good luck for the MotM!
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10568 Posts
January 06 2011 23:36 GMT
#8
It looks beautiful.
Can a tank on the 4th high ground next to ur nat do damage to anything? id like to see the range. can the ledge directly out of the 3rd hit nething?
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
January 07 2011 02:02 GMT
#9
cool, but I dont like the ridiculous glowing decals. They only look appropriate at the watchtowers.

I would also move the raised 3rd/4ths slightly more into the center to make it slightly harder to sit on 4base and use the map space in a more balanced way. Just a little though.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
January 07 2011 03:25 GMT
#10
really unique Barrin
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
January 07 2011 03:35 GMT
#11
The fact that the map looks sort of like Glacial Spike is actually fucking sick. +999 points for that.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Koagel
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria167 Posts
January 07 2011 14:06 GMT
#12
The best looking snow map I've seen so far. Keep it up!
mangoloid
Profile Joined September 2010
100 Posts
January 07 2011 17:33 GMT
#13
This map is badass. I hope it plays well.

I am torn between seeing the map as a glacial spike or a yeti face. :/

Oh, are the spike areas pathable?
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
January 09 2011 04:05 GMT
#14
--- Nuked ---
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
January 09 2011 04:44 GMT
#15
^The most smily faces ever used in one post, directly above. No doubt about it.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
January 09 2011 06:30 GMT
#16
--- Nuked ---
KooKraw
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8 Posts
January 09 2011 23:17 GMT
#17
The two offset mains remind me of scrap station, but I really like that the naturals are easily viewable from the high ground fourth, I bet that terrans and toss can use that to their advantage by making it hard for the Zerg to hold onto that first expo. I'm assuming you could hit that expo with a decently ranged unit.
"When the enemy is at ease, be able to weary him; when well fed, to starve him; when at rest, to make him move. Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you."
mangoloid
Profile Joined September 2010
100 Posts
January 12 2011 09:39 GMT
#18
I just played a game on this map (against a v easy comp, just to check out the terrain and the like). I discovered that if you build in those terrain depressions where the water is, the terrain shifts. That was distracting, and I am not sure I like it, tho the puddles add to the glacier atmosphere.

You did a very good job making it feel glacial. Having an ice tileset would obviously be better, but I was impressed with the overall aesthetics while playing this map.

However, having played around on it, I am now hesitant about the layout. I did not play a real game, so this is based on first impressions, but as I was wandering around the map trying to decide where important battle would take place, I felt that there was a lot of dead space, and that any given game would use only a very small section of the map, namely the shortest path between natural and natural. There is not much incentive to fight in the upper left portions of the map, and even tho players will be expanding there, they will probably feel most comfortably attacking towards the natural rather than towards the 3rd/4th, since all that space between naturals is so vulnerable to counters.

I will have to see some real games played on this before I make my final judgment. Hopefully I can find some in the map of the month chat channel.
baskerville
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
541 Posts
January 15 2011 23:14 GMT
#19
blatant MotMT bump
http://www.teamliquid.net/mirror/smilies/random-big.gif
sCnDiamond
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany340 Posts
March 06 2011 17:15 GMT
#20
Can you upload it to the EU-Servers? There's a version of this map already, but it doesn't work .
formerly spinnaker.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 1
Rush vs Light
Afreeca ASL 5849
StarCastTV_EN113
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko160
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8315
Bisu 1841
FanTaSy 1474
Jaedong 611
actioN 587
BeSt 519
Leta 415
Horang2 331
EffOrt 283
Larva 275
[ Show more ]
Zeus 193
Dewaltoss 112
Mong 87
Barracks 74
scan(afreeca) 69
Mind 66
sorry 57
ToSsGirL 56
Free 53
Killer 48
JYJ 39
Aegong 38
Shinee 36
Bale 30
soO 27
sSak 25
Sexy 24
HiyA 16
yabsab 14
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe210
Counter-Strike
byalli939
Other Games
summit1g8696
singsing1311
olofmeister1008
crisheroes214
Pyrionflax190
KnowMe122
dupreeh51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick672
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 95
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1213
Other Games
• WagamamaTV184
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
48m
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 48m
Replay Cast
12h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 48m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
3 days
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.