• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:24
CEST 14:24
KST 21:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8761 users

Simple Questions/Answers - Page 158

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 156 157 158 159 160 182 Next
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
May 27 2015 21:21 GMT
#3141
On May 27 2015 11:15 turtles wrote:
How did you do it in those photos? The green looks like the pathing layer in the editor, but obviously it's not since it has the dialog up at the same time.

You can use triggers to figure out the lenght/width/location of a region. Then you can place whatever effects you need done.


I just added the green in photoshop.

What kind of effects will make region change in appearance? I am very new to editor.
Nihility
Fuell
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands3111 Posts
May 27 2015 21:32 GMT
#3142
On May 27 2015 12:29 TheFish7 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2015 08:36 Fuell wrote:
I have two questions, if anyone is familiar with these that would be great:

1) Duplicating units doesn't seem to work like it used to in previous editions of the editor. I try to duplicate an unit, actor, weapon, and damage effect, to say make the fire archer from the archer, but the name changes for both units when I duplicate?

2) Splash damage doesn't appear to be working like it should. Anyone know the tricks behind this?



1) Duplicating units is a lot different from past editors. The basic procedure for duplicating a unit is to use Ctrl+U, then duplicate everything that is unique to that unit (but not shared or universal abilities, actors etc.) See the screenshot below for what I mean. If you have an archer unit and want to make a fire archer, I recommend that you duplicate a new one from scratch. (The other option being morph abilities, which is a pain just due to the actor events) You'll need to duplicate a new actor, units should never share actors, and probably a weapon, model, abilities, and whatever else.

Duplicating the Marine without having conflicting actors, etc:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


2) Splash damage is actually really well done in the sc2 editor, there are a ton of possibilities for different levels of damage, different effects (force effects that push units away from the center of the blast for example) and other things. Remember to use a Set effect hit first (target unit/point). You can then attach whatever damage, force effects, and so forth.

For the most part however, you just need a Set Effect, then a Damage Effect. The Damage effect should have the Amount field filled out, Splash kind, Search Filters (important), and Area. The Area field controls how much damage units get depending on their proximity to the center of the set effect. For example, a Damage effect with an Amount of 30, and 3 Area indexes as such:

Fraction 1.0 , Radius 1
Fraction 0.66, Radius 2
Fraction 0.33, Radius 3

will do 30 damage to any unit within 1 square of the center, 20 damage to any units between 1-2 squares away, and 10 damage to any units 2-3 squares away.

You can also use Create Persistents and validators to create some really cool effects.

WhalesFromSpace - I think your best bet will be to create a simple custom unit or actor or effect and then create/kill it using a trigger. Might be a better way to do it though.

thanks a lot, man!
fOu/Zenith/NEX/WeRRa/SlayerS
Sholip
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
Hungary422 Posts
May 30 2015 14:48 GMT
#3143
I don't know if this question makes a lot of sense, but is there a way to access the code of the actual spells and abilities in the editor or somewhere? I'm thinking of triggers or scripts which describe what exactly happens when the ability is used.
"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. Also, Zest is best." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
turtles
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia360 Posts
May 30 2015 15:47 GMT
#3144
Sholip, Spells and abilities are accessed in the data module inside the editor. They sure can be manipulated/edited/copied/etc.

The way they are set up might seem very confusing at first but it is a powerful way to express them if you know how.

Here is an example of the punisher grenade which I drew for someone ages ago: http://postimg.org/image/cdd6fw9xd/

You can see how each spell/ability is brocken down into small sections and joined together to create the full effect. If you open the data module in the editor you should be able to follow along with that to get an idea.
Sholip
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
Hungary422 Posts
May 30 2015 16:22 GMT
#3145
On May 31 2015 00:47 turtles wrote:
Sholip, Spells and abilities are accessed in the data module inside the editor. They sure can be manipulated/edited/copied/etc.

The way they are set up might seem very confusing at first but it is a powerful way to express them if you know how.

Here is an example of the punisher grenade which I drew for someone ages ago: http://postimg.org/image/cdd6fw9xd/

You can see how each spell/ability is brocken down into small sections and joined together to create the full effect. If you open the data module in the editor you should be able to follow along with that to get an idea.

Thanks for the reply, but it is not exactly what I am looking for. What you wrote is a weapon if I'm not mistaken. I thought about more "complex" abilites, which don't just deal damage or apply some effect, but do something unique.
In particular, I would be interested in what happens when the "Build X" order is issued to a Probe.
Do these abilites have a custom script somewhere that is accessible?
"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. Also, Zest is best." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-01 09:15:08
May 31 2015 00:20 GMT
#3146
I just got LotV beta access and I was wondering if there was a way to start mapping with LotV tilesets/editor? At the very least, is it possible to publish to LotV servers?

Thanks!

Edit: I don't think it is actually possible - never mind.
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
daboss9635
Profile Joined September 2014
Canada21 Posts
June 02 2015 04:17 GMT
#3147
Hey guys I really need help on something. I've been looking for a couple hours but have not found anything to help my problem.
So here's the issue: I have a custom tile set for a map that I made (I really like it a lot) but have not found a way to use that tile set on a new map. Is there any way to save a custom tile set so that I can use it on a new map, instead of having to convert all of the textures and specifications one by one?
AssyrianKing
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia2121 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-04 12:06:44
June 04 2015 12:06 GMT
#3148
Looking at all the TPW maps on liquepidia, almost all their maps are beautiful and different yet I have barely seen any of them in competitive play, what happened ?
John 15:13
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
June 04 2015 13:24 GMT
#3149
On June 04 2015 21:06 AssyrianKing wrote:
Looking at all the TPW maps on liquepidia, almost all their maps are beautiful and different yet I have barely seen any of them in competitive play, what happened ?

Blizzard/tournaments were mostly unwilling to use them so they got pretty universally ignored.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
June 04 2015 21:10 GMT
#3150
I think it's kind of a shame that unused older maps don't ever get considered (unless it was made in the last few months, it might as well not exist). I mean obviously the 8 and 10 base early WOL maps with wide open naturals can't really be used, but people have been making 12 base maps with manageable naturals and thirds for a while now. Out of those there are so many good ones.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-07 11:43:33
June 07 2015 11:40 GMT
#3151
+ Show Spoiler +
On May 28 2015 06:21 WhalesFromSpace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 27 2015 11:15 turtles wrote:
How did you do it in those photos? The green looks like the pathing layer in the editor, but obviously it's not since it has the dialog up at the same time.

You can use triggers to figure out the lenght/width/location of a region. Then you can place whatever effects you need done.


I just added the green in photoshop.

What kind of effects will make region change in appearance? I am very new to editor.

There are light emitters (doodads that you can place for instance) which are straightforward, you just make them "non present/active on the map on initialization (start of game) and add a trigger to make them "visible" when "x" happens.
Otherwise, via triggers you can do more (I suppose you can set the color) but this requires much more in depth knowledge of galaxy.

+ Show Spoiler +
On May 31 2015 01:22 Sholip wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2015 00:47 turtles wrote:
Sholip, Spells and abilities are accessed in the data module inside the editor. They sure can be manipulated/edited/copied/etc.

The way they are set up might seem very confusing at first but it is a powerful way to express them if you know how.

Here is an example of the punisher grenade which I drew for someone ages ago: http://postimg.org/image/cdd6fw9xd/

You can see how each spell/ability is brocken down into small sections and joined together to create the full effect. If you open the data module in the editor you should be able to follow along with that to get an idea.

Thanks for the reply, but it is not exactly what I am looking for. What you wrote is a weapon if I'm not mistaken. I thought about more "complex" abilites, which don't just deal damage or apply some effect, but do something unique.
In particular, I would be interested in what happens when the "Build X" order is issued to a Probe.
Do these abilites have a custom script somewhere that is accessible?

Yes it is possible to "see/read" almost any part of the galaxy code with an "outside" .mpq editor app.
The workers' build ability for one (actually three races so three workers so three different abilities) are found in the abilities.

+ Show Spoiler +

On May 31 2015 09:20 LComteVarauG wrote:
I just got LotV beta access and I was wondering if there was a way to start mapping with LotV tilesets/editor? At the very least, is it possible to publish to LotV servers?

Thanks!

Edit: I don't think it is actually possible - never mind.


No it isn't possible.. lotv will have a new editor and hots wol maps will not work there ... or..?

+ Show Spoiler +
On June 02 2015 13:17 daboss9635 wrote:
Hey guys I really need help on something. I've been looking for a couple hours but have not found anything to help my problem.
So here's the issue: I have a custom tile set for a map that I made (I really like it a lot) but have not found a way to use that tile set on a new map. Is there any way to save a custom tile set so that I can use it on a new map, instead of having to convert all of the textures and specifications one by one?

I "think" it is possible, but being on mac (mac=/=pc) I have no clue about "how" and suggest you go on mapster and look/ask around.
"not enough rights"
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-07 11:45:05
June 07 2015 11:42 GMT
#3152
Why am I the only one doing 8 players+ maps?
"not enough rights"
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
June 07 2015 23:24 GMT
#3153
On June 07 2015 20:42 fluidrone wrote:
Why am I the only one doing 8 players+ maps?

You aren't
+ Show Spoiler +

[LCV] Crucify:

Link to the Map Thread

Link to the Map Overview

I make them very infrequently though because my computer gets a lot of lag simply dealing with 4p maps, so 8+p is fairly difficult.
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
June 08 2015 01:13 GMT
#3154
I suck at team/FFA maps. I might make another try next time I pick up the editor though ^^
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-08 18:20:53
June 08 2015 18:17 GMT
#3155
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 08 2015 08:24 LComteVarauG wrote:
On June 07 2015 20:42 fluidrone wrote:
Why am I the only one doing 8 players+ maps?

You aren't
+ Show Spoiler +

[LCV] Crucify:

Link to the Map Thread

Link to the Map Overview

I make them very infrequently though because my computer gets a lot of lag simply dealing with 4p maps, so 8+p is fairly difficult.
My comp likes to turn itself off when overheating , fun fun fun.


+ Show Spoiler +
On June 08 2015 10:13 The_Templar wrote:
I suck at team/FFA maps. I might make another try next time I pick up the editor though ^^



Also, I meant more like: why has tl pushed out (maybe totally without malice or planning) of this glorious sub forum its ffa fun. I'm sure if you go back and make a trend graph the number of player spawns has decreased steadily to never change.
4 spawn in Wol, 2 in hots.. will the lotv maps be played alone (joke) ?
"not enough rights"
imitablesilver
Profile Joined June 2015
1 Post
June 14 2015 02:33 GMT
#3156
how do you get a image of your map from a top down view that is can be vectored?
MSN
Profile Joined June 2013
Czech Republic53 Posts
June 14 2015 21:16 GMT
#3157
When I already started a map, where there is only one type of cliff possible ... can I somehow add more types of cliffs (not just change the one which is already there, I can manage that).
What, you run out of Marines ? ^^
SwedenTheKid
Profile Joined July 2014
567 Posts
June 14 2015 23:44 GMT
#3158
@MSN
To edit the cliffs and textures you have avalible for your tileset, you must chage the spesific tileset in the data editor. Select the data editor and find/select terrain types. Select the tileset you're using and find cliffs. Add the cliffs you want, a map can have a maximum of 4 cliffs. You may need to reload the terrain editor to be able to use the new cliffs/textures.
Casual Mapmaker
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
June 15 2015 12:10 GMT
#3159
On June 15 2015 08:44 SwedenTheKid wrote:
@MSN
To edit the cliffs and textures you have avalible for your tileset, you must chage the spesific tileset in the data editor. Select the data editor and find/select terrain types. Select the tileset you're using and find cliffs. Add the cliffs you want, a map can have a maximum of 4 cliffs. You may need to reload the terrain editor to be able to use the new cliffs/textures.

"not enough rights"
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
June 15 2015 12:12 GMT
#3160
How many times did you have to reinstall on mac because of the frigging "no units tab I want to slug someone through the face" bug?
"not enough rights"
Prev 1 156 157 158 159 160 182 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1009
WardiTV538
OGKoka 261
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko386
mouzHeroMarine 348
OGKoka 261
Rex 147
ProTech136
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2174
Larva 1495
Horang2 1444
Shuttle 986
EffOrt 702
BeSt 514
Soma 495
Mini 279
Hyuk 255
Stork 202
[ Show more ]
Light 186
ZerO 184
Rush 126
ggaemo 125
Zeus 120
Killer 83
Barracks 71
Hyun 69
Sea.KH 46
ToSsGirL 30
Shinee 28
Bale 27
Mong 24
PianO 20
Aegong 19
Shine 17
Sexy 15
sorry 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
soO 14
Sacsri 14
zelot 12
Noble 10
HiyA 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Dendi1739
qojqva762
BananaSlamJamma167
LuMiX1
League of Legends
KnowMe34
Counter-Strike
x6flipin1097
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes272
Other Games
singsing2192
olofmeister1693
B2W.Neo534
hiko261
Sick228
XaKoH 228
Pyrionflax200
ArmadaUGS78
Mew2King36
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream570
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH302
• StrangeGG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2087
Other Games
• WagamamaTV209
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 36m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.