• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:02
CEST 18:02
KST 01:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7870 users

[Map] Ground Xero

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Normal
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-27 19:15:08
June 15 2010 21:33 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Inspired by Metalopolis, takes place in a demolished city environment. Macro-Oriented map.

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Features] +

Easy to take natural
[image loading]

Andromeda-style main with cliff behind natural. LOS Blockers for proxy and hidden tech
[image loading]

Watchtowers over the 3rd and outer lane of the map
[image loading]

Fire!
[image loading]

Destructible Tower in middle blocking the base. If you want the base, forfeit the vision.
[image loading]

[image loading]



+ Show Spoiler [Load Screen] +

Load Screen image
[image loading]

In-Game
[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Known bugs] +

Tarmac appears under the road, apparently the tarmac actor is bugged :/
[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Progress] +

Expansions placed, map is half textured, outside areas doodaded up
[image loading]

Map theme / out of bounds scenery
[image loading]

Terrain v0.1
[image loading]

Concept
[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Changelog] +

Version 1.0
-Added destructible tower
-Changed the name to "Ground Xero" from "Ground Zero" because the map turned out to look like an X
Version 1.1
-Fixed destructible tower
-Removed 2 mineral patches, added 2 geysers to center
-Removed broken Terran Tarmac doodads from intersections. Will re-add in later patch if the actors get fixed (they're bugged, apparently.)
-Added custom load screen
-Added trees blocking the edge of the middle facing the low-ground expansions under it. Units will have a harder time shooting down those expansions.
-Debating switching low-ground expansions to the other side of that area, just under the watchtower.


Feedback is appreciated! Check out my other projects!
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
DreaM)XeRO
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Korea (South)4667 Posts
June 15 2010 21:36 GMT
#2
saw my handle. i was interested
aha. reminds me of andromeda for some reason
:D
cw)minsean(ru
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 21:40:36
June 15 2010 21:37 GMT
#3
On June 16 2010 06:36 DreaM)XeRO wrote:
saw my handle. i was interested
aha. reminds me of andromeda for some reason
:D

The mains are a lot like Andromeda

...i should update the OP with that!

EDIT: updated~
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 21:42:03
June 15 2010 21:41 GMT
#4
Very nice work. My only suggestion would be to make the naturals a bit bigger other than that me likey. I never liked minerals right in the middle of any map because most of the time they are never taken. It's pointless really. ;/

Metropolis had parallel expos and it worked unlike the rest. I don't see it working here either. This would make a great 1v1 map.
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
June 15 2010 21:42 GMT
#5
I like this one. Really need to start dabbling in the map editor some more -.-
Life is Good.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 21:52:32
June 15 2010 21:50 GMT
#6
I think the gold minerals in the middle are a waste, I'm not really sure how you'd ever be able to take them.

I'm also a little unsure about the layout. 1v1 with vertical placements mean there really isn't much for expansion opportunities past your natural which could create imbalances. On the other hand Horizontal or cross positions gives you crazy expansion opportunities and you can cover up to 6 bases with only 2 relatively close ground chokes. I suppose the horizontal isn't a terribly big issue, but I think vertical placements might have problems.
Logo
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 15 2010 21:53 GMT
#7
On June 16 2010 06:50 Logo wrote:
I think the gold minerals in the middle are a waste, I'm not really sure how you'd ever be able to take them.

I'm also a little unsure about the layout. 1v1 with vertical placements mean there really isn't much for expansion opportunities past your natural which could create imbalances. On the other hand Horizontal or cross positions gives you crazy expansion opportunities and you can cover up to 6 bases with only 2 relatively close ground chokes.


There are plenty of opportunities to expand no matter which way you spawn. You just have to think outside the box and take them <:D
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
June 15 2010 21:55 GMT
#8
At a first glance seems there is so little space to build stuff.

I would like the map was a little more open.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 15 2010 21:56 GMT
#9
On June 16 2010 06:55 fabiano wrote:
At a first glance seems there is so little space to build stuff.

I would like the map was a little more open.

The mains are actually a bit bigger than your average map :O
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
stroggos
Profile Joined February 2009
New Zealand1543 Posts
June 15 2010 22:09 GMT
#10
this map looks great! i would remove the middle minerals and make the expansions beside middle gold though. This gives a little more space for the map and gives more value for those hard to defend expansions.
hi
goofoffjw
Profile Joined June 2010
United States20 Posts
June 16 2010 00:13 GMT
#11
Really looks like you put a lot of work into the design; artistically speaking it looks amazing. I really can't say much about balance as I'm not that good, but since it seems so similar in many ways to Metalopolis (by design) I doubt it's much less balanced than that.
IaniAniaN
Profile Joined September 2007
Canada555 Posts
June 16 2010 00:19 GMT
#12
The thirds will be a lot more difficult to defend than on metropolis, the path to them is a bit convoluted (not sure how this would play out though).
ionlyplayPROtoss
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada573 Posts
June 16 2010 00:24 GMT
#13
really nice map bravo!
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
June 16 2010 01:13 GMT
#14
prodiG keeps making awesome maps :D nice work dude!

One thing though, are there no geysers at the middle gold?
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 16 2010 01:20 GMT
#15
On June 16 2010 10:13 Subversion wrote:
prodiG keeps making awesome maps :D nice work dude!

One thing though, are there no geysers at the middle gold?

Nope, I wanted to keep it mineral only.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
MD_Vegetables
Profile Joined June 2010
United States43 Posts
June 16 2010 02:16 GMT
#16
Hey man, I really like this map! While this doesn't matter to most, I do like that it is aesthetically pleasing and the visuals have a touch of professionalism. As for the functionality of the map, I'm not really in a position to comment because I am not terribly good at the game itself. I agree with some of the others that the high-yield minerals in the middle of the map will be difficult to take, but I don't think that that merits their removal - the reward is clearly worth the risk if the expansion can be held, and the fact that there is only one high-yield mineral expansion means that it is worth controlling, even if you aren't mining at it. Therefore, in my somewhat naive opinion, I think the placement of the high-yield expansion is cool and interesting, and overall, the map is definitely one of the best community-designed levels that I've seen so far. Keep up the good work!
"50 seconds is a lifetime - seriously, most dogs are born, have puppies, and die in the time it takes to build a Reactor is Starcraft 2." - Day[9]
Leoj
Profile Joined January 2010
United States396 Posts
June 16 2010 02:26 GMT
#17
I like that this map is everything that Metalopolis isn't. It feels a lot more constricted, easier to lock down expos, naturals aren't nearly as vulnerable. Looks great, can't wait to play it. =)
GreatestThreat
Profile Joined May 2010
United States631 Posts
June 16 2010 02:46 GMT
#18
I love it. The set-up of the main/natural is extremely pleasing to the eye, and depending on how the players spawn in relation to one another this could be a map of very diverse games.
"I'm ethereal! My children are legion, serial! They stick to my skin like beloved cysts... I TEAR AWAY WITH MY NAILS AND TEETH AND FISTS!"
Merikh
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States918 Posts
June 16 2010 02:48 GMT
#19
Looks really good, the X in the middle reminds me of X-Men :D
G4MR | I mod day9, djwheat and GLHF's stream
Grebliv
Profile Joined May 2006
Iceland800 Posts
June 16 2010 03:21 GMT
#20
Pretty impressive texture work
ESV Mapmaking!
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 16 2010 03:45 GMT
#21
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I've spent longer doodad'ing this map than any of my other ones~
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
jamesr12
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1549 Posts
June 16 2010 03:51 GMT
#22
dear blizzard,

for ladder session 1 just use all the maps prodiG has made so far for the 1v1 map pool.

thank you
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=306479
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 16 2010 04:20 GMT
#23
On June 16 2010 12:51 jamesr12 wrote:
dear blizzard,

for ladder session 1 just use all the maps prodiG has made so far for the 1v1 map pool.

thank you

Dear Blizzard,

Give me more than five slots to upload maps to. Damn straight I'm going to make more than five. T_T
(I'll probably upload any extra maps on a friend's account or something)
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
June 16 2010 04:25 GMT
#24
Wow, middle with 10 gold minerals and no gas? Very odd. But I do like the idea of destructible vision tower. That's a cool gimmick.

But otherwise, very pretty. Mains are kinda huge, though.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
AskJoshy
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1625 Posts
June 16 2010 04:44 GMT
#25
prodiG you've done it again, man. This map seriously looks like a really, really fun 2v2 map with good potential for some excellent macro-oriented 1v1 play. I may be speaking prematurely here, but I think I'd like to see this map get some use in our iCCup TV events. =)
Heroes, Hearthstone, and SC2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/AskJoshy
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 16 2010 14:20 GMT
#26
On June 16 2010 13:44 JoshSuth wrote:
prodiG you've done it again, man. This map seriously looks like a really, really fun 2v2 map with good potential for some excellent macro-oriented 1v1 play. I may be speaking prematurely here, but I think I'd like to see this map get some use in our iCCup TV events. =)

If you do end up using it, let me know. I'd love to see it played by some high-level players. I've only personally played it against some of the downloadable AI and I haven't found any outstanding or game-breaking problems with the map, but it's understandably hard to have a good game against AI that loses to my first push or AI that cheats and rapes me with a 40 unit ball of roach hydra muta in 8 minutes

I hope all of my future projects are received as well as this one! I plan on finishing Redemption next.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Inkarnate
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada840 Posts
June 16 2010 14:54 GMT
#27
Looks really nice, though for a macro oriented map a third expansion is going to be hard to take, especially if you spawn directly across from each other.
Ghostcom
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark4783 Posts
June 16 2010 15:10 GMT
#28
On June 16 2010 13:20 prodiG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2010 12:51 jamesr12 wrote:
dear blizzard,

for ladder session 1 just use all the maps prodiG has made so far for the 1v1 map pool.

thank you

Dear Blizzard,

Give me more than five slots to upload maps to. Damn straight I'm going to make more than five. T_T
(I'll probably upload any extra maps on a friend's account or something)


I'll gladly give my five slots away if you keep making good maps
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
June 16 2010 15:39 GMT
#29
I think this is the best-looking map I've seen so far.

The only comment I really have on what I feel could be improved is:

-The path from any base to any other base seems very choked in some places where it shouldn't be. It would be pretty easy to block someone in I feel. If you look at the highest elevation area in the middle, possibly consider widening (via a slant? to keep the X theme?) the areas immediately above the upper ramps and below the lower ramps. I think this would solve the problem. I like that the elevation dips low for the contested middle grounds.


Great-looking map though.
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 17 2010 14:20 GMT
#30
On June 17 2010 00:39 mlbrandow wrote:
I think this is the best-looking map I've seen so far.

The only comment I really have on what I feel could be improved is:

-The path from any base to any other base seems very choked in some places where it shouldn't be. It would be pretty easy to block someone in I feel. If you look at the highest elevation area in the middle, possibly consider widening (via a slant? to keep the X theme?) the areas immediately above the upper ramps and below the lower ramps. I think this would solve the problem. I like that the elevation dips low for the contested middle grounds.


Great-looking map though.


When I designed the map, I wanted it to punish you for sitting in your base for too long, which would result in some aggression being necessary if you wanted to keep up with a good opponent. I think it works well, but I'll keep your suggestion/any other suggestions in mind once I can actually test the map
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
DJDemon
Profile Joined June 2010
United States39 Posts
June 19 2010 20:45 GMT
#31
The map looks great, can't wait to download it.
Whiplash
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2929 Posts
June 19 2010 20:49 GMT
#32
Great to see another prodiG map. This guy knows how to make balanced maps, unlike 99% of the other stuff we see in the map section (rambles on about impossible to defend naturals and mains with 2 unblocked entrances).
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator. Former Starcraft commentator/player
EnderW
Profile Joined March 2010
United States170 Posts
June 19 2010 20:54 GMT
#33
looks like a really cool map, can't wait to try it out in some practice games when the beta is back!
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you wont live long enough to make them all yourself.
Challe
Profile Joined June 2010
Afghanistan58 Posts
June 19 2010 20:58 GMT
#34
is it possible to have cars going around the track and if you have your units inthe middle of the track when when the cars come by they can get hit and die? that would be awesome
Grebliv
Profile Joined May 2006
Iceland800 Posts
June 19 2010 21:02 GMT
#35
On June 20 2010 05:58 Challe wrote:
is it possible to have cars going around the track and if you have your units inthe middle of the track when when the cars come by they can get hit and die? that would be awesome


+1, imperative for a good melee map experience
ESV Mapmaking!
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 19 2010 22:11 GMT
#36
On June 20 2010 05:49 Whiplash wrote:
Great to see another prodiG map. This guy knows how to make balanced maps, unlike 99% of the other stuff we see in the map section (rambles on about impossible to defend naturals and mains with 2 unblocked entrances).


I *think* they're balanced. Time will tell

Not enough people are using drops or ferrying units around in sc2 so that's my excuse for everything
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-21 06:34:54
June 21 2010 06:34 GMT
#37
Here's a quick game of me dicking around vs GreenTea AI v0.48, it's super sloppy since i've forgotten my build but it shows some of the map features.

I think it turned out well
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
June 21 2010 07:06 GMT
#38
i really like it, but i must admit not liking the no gas expansion. feel thats the reason i always have to expand!
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 21 2010 07:12 GMT
#39
On June 21 2010 16:06 Subversion wrote:
i really like it, but i must admit not liking the no gas expansion. feel thats the reason i always have to expand!

The only base with no gas is the one in the middle :o
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Christmastaflex
Profile Joined May 2010
United States35 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-21 07:13:41
June 21 2010 07:13 GMT
#40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On June 16 2010 06:50 Logo wrote:
I think the gold minerals in the middle are a waste, I'm not really sure how you'd ever be able to take them.

I'm also a little unsure about the layout. 1v1 with vertical placements mean there really isn't much for expansion opportunities past your natural which could create imbalances. On the other hand Horizontal or cross positions gives you crazy expansion opportunities and you can cover up to 6 bases with only 2 relatively close ground chokes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




There are plenty of opportunities to expand no matter which way you spawn. You just have to think outside the box and take them <:D


I think you should really take into consideration the criticism on the high yield. A 4 play map with 1 high yield containing no gas? Sure there are pleanty of other expansions to take, but at what point of the game does a player have a decision to make a pivotal move for a dangerous high yeild. Simple enough 1 hy for 4 players with no gas...ATLEAST add gas. Outside of that; I really appreciate the main//natural. Large base with alot of room for great drop harrass on both main and natural. However, I feel uncomforable with such tight travel lanes. Gains way to terran mech imo. Not much opportunity for flanking which makes Zerg ground Bantha Fodder. Against a turtling terran I see it being even more of a nightmare with the Main/Natural in comparison to the lane sizes. A siege tank on the ledge of the main is in range to shred units all the way to the next expansions ramp. I like the general cosmetics of the map but I would suggest amplifying the size of the map giving more room in the lanes. All in all thanks for the thread. Good Luck, I hope you submit more.
All you know about me is what I've sold you.
never_Nal
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica676 Posts
June 21 2010 07:18 GMT
#41
I would do a much more open center, and that high ground around the center expansion is really really scary, definitely would see a lot of siege abuse on this map, and mobility would be favored (Terran), keep in mind that
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 21 2010 07:31 GMT
#42
On June 21 2010 16:13 Christmastaflex wrote:
Show nested quote +
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On June 16 2010 06:50 Logo wrote:
I think the gold minerals in the middle are a waste, I'm not really sure how you'd ever be able to take them.

I'm also a little unsure about the layout. 1v1 with vertical placements mean there really isn't much for expansion opportunities past your natural which could create imbalances. On the other hand Horizontal or cross positions gives you crazy expansion opportunities and you can cover up to 6 bases with only 2 relatively close ground chokes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Show nested quote +
There are plenty of opportunities to expand no matter which way you spawn. You just have to think outside the box and take them <:D


I think you should really take into consideration the criticism on the high yield. A 4 play map with 1 high yield containing no gas? Sure there are pleanty of other expansions to take, but at what point of the game does a player have a decision to make a pivotal move for a dangerous high yeild. Simple enough 1 hy for 4 players with no gas...ATLEAST add gas. Outside of that; I really appreciate the main//natural. Large base with alot of room for great drop harrass on both main and natural. However, I feel uncomforable with such tight travel lanes. Gains way to terran mech imo. Not much opportunity for flanking which makes Zerg ground Bantha Fodder. Against a turtling terran I see it being even more of a nightmare with the Main/Natural in comparison to the lane sizes. A siege tank on the ledge of the main is in range to shred units all the way to the next expansions ramp. I like the general cosmetics of the map but I would suggest amplifying the size of the map giving more room in the lanes. All in all thanks for the thread. Good Luck, I hope you submit more.


I'll consider the high yield, but not before sufficient testing. With ten patches, it still nets you WAY more minerals than any other base on the map and controlling that base and saturating it will put you at a significant advantage.

As for the travel lanes, they're just about as wide as anything you'd see on Metalopolis, which was heaven for Zergs. If Zergs want to set up elaborate flanks, they can get overlords and nydus works and drop them on the other side of the map. Mindless 1a2a3a will get you killed, and that's the way I designed it. Against a turtling terran, you need to pull out every trick in the book. Take the 10 patch gold expansion and every other base on the map and harass the christ out of the terran if he wants to park himself in his nat and do nothing. I'll stop here, because that particular topic tends to just piss me off and I don't want to look like an angry troll

Finally, a Siege Tank on the ledge of the main can hit units running into the nat... What map can they NOT do that on?
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
stimtokolos
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia77 Posts
June 21 2010 07:58 GMT
#43
prodiG.
If your tarmac is still showing up under the road and you want to fix it, it is just a doodad I believe.
Drag a selection box around it in the doodad palette, then hit enter.
There should be a box on the second row of values for Height. Add a small amount to that value until it appears just above the road.
I'm unsure but you might have to click "OK" at the bottom to make the changes show up in the main window. I think adding +0.1 or 0.2 height should be enough. But I'd have to see really.
Hope this helps if you still care about it
Darthturtle
Profile Joined May 2009
United States718 Posts
June 21 2010 11:34 GMT
#44
Although you're trying to 'punish' someone for staying in base too long, they pretty much have to against T and P, because you're looking at someone dropping sieges/colossi at your main to fire on your nat.

It also looks like zerg might be a bit uncomfortable on this map, There's no expansion I'd particularly want to take as my third.

Finally, I think whoever gets a fast contain off first will win here. Maybe the main could use a back door or something, but right now, it looks so easy to just trap someone against two of the more obvious awful defender's arcs (right outside the bent ramp, and above/below the natural, where you're about to spill into the center of the map.).
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 21 2010 15:18 GMT
#45
On June 21 2010 16:58 stimtokolos wrote:
prodiG.
If your tarmac is still showing up under the road and you want to fix it, it is just a doodad I believe.
Drag a selection box around it in the doodad palette, then hit enter.
There should be a box on the second row of values for Height. Add a small amount to that value until it appears just above the road.
I'm unsure but you might have to click "OK" at the bottom to make the changes show up in the main window. I think adding +0.1 or 0.2 height should be enough. But I'd have to see really.
Hope this helps if you still care about it

Every time I change the value, all of the other tarmacs go back under the road. According to the guys in #sc2mapster, the actor is bugged and I guess I'm just going to have to wait for a beta phase 2 patch to fix it ;_;
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
ckw
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1018 Posts
June 21 2010 15:20 GMT
#46
Very pretty map, looks fun to play as well but expos besides the nat look hard to hold unless you have superior map presence.
Being weak is a choice.
Zoltan
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States656 Posts
June 21 2010 15:25 GMT
#47
this map looks like a blast to play on. Cant wait for beta to be back:

When is beta coming back up? End of june? or no date yet?
'HOW LONG HAVE THOSE REAPERS BEEN KILLING MY PROBES?!?!
stimtokolos
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia77 Posts
June 21 2010 16:12 GMT
#48
On June 22 2010 00:18 prodiG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2010 16:58 stimtokolos wrote:
prodiG.
If your tarmac is still showing up under the road and you want to fix it, it is just a doodad I believe.
Drag a selection box around it in the doodad palette, then hit enter.
There should be a box on the second row of values for Height. Add a small amount to that value until it appears just above the road.
I'm unsure but you might have to click "OK" at the bottom to make the changes show up in the main window. I think adding +0.1 or 0.2 height should be enough. But I'd have to see really.
Hope this helps if you still care about it

Every time I change the value, all of the other tarmacs go back under the road. According to the guys in #sc2mapster, the actor is bugged and I guess I'm just going to have to wait for a beta phase 2 patch to fix it ;_;


That sucks, I just toyed around to see if I could fix it with my limited skills.
As it turns out I cannot.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 22 2010 01:16 GMT
#49
On June 22 2010 01:12 stimtokolos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2010 00:18 prodiG wrote:
On June 21 2010 16:58 stimtokolos wrote:
prodiG.
If your tarmac is still showing up under the road and you want to fix it, it is just a doodad I believe.
Drag a selection box around it in the doodad palette, then hit enter.
There should be a box on the second row of values for Height. Add a small amount to that value until it appears just above the road.
I'm unsure but you might have to click "OK" at the bottom to make the changes show up in the main window. I think adding +0.1 or 0.2 height should be enough. But I'd have to see really.
Hope this helps if you still care about it

Every time I change the value, all of the other tarmacs go back under the road. According to the guys in #sc2mapster, the actor is bugged and I guess I'm just going to have to wait for a beta phase 2 patch to fix it ;_;


That sucks, I just toyed around to see if I could fix it with my limited skills.
As it turns out I cannot.

Yeah, it and some of the decal doodad actors are bugged and act wierd like this. What I really don't understand is why it works fine on Metalopolis but not anywhere else...
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
June 22 2010 01:54 GMT
#50
Don;t like the gold mineral base in the middle and I think the watch towers should be moved so they don't see 2 bases.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
stimtokolos
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia77 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-22 02:29:03
June 22 2010 02:26 GMT
#51
On June 22 2010 10:16 prodiG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2010 01:12 stimtokolos wrote:
On June 22 2010 00:18 prodiG wrote:
On June 21 2010 16:58 stimtokolos wrote:
prodiG.
If your tarmac is still showing up under the road and you want to fix it, it is just a doodad I believe.
Drag a selection box around it in the doodad palette, then hit enter.
There should be a box on the second row of values for Height. Add a small amount to that value until it appears just above the road.
I'm unsure but you might have to click "OK" at the bottom to make the changes show up in the main window. I think adding +0.1 or 0.2 height should be enough. But I'd have to see really.
Hope this helps if you still care about it

Every time I change the value, all of the other tarmacs go back under the road. According to the guys in #sc2mapster, the actor is bugged and I guess I'm just going to have to wait for a beta phase 2 patch to fix it ;_;


That sucks, I just toyed around to see if I could fix it with my limited skills.
As it turns out I cannot.

Yeah, it and some of the decal doodad actors are bugged and act wierd like this. What I really don't understand is why it works fine on Metalopolis but not anywhere else...

On Metalopolis the roads don't actually pass under the tarmacs. They terminate neatly at the edge and in the gap the tarmac appears. Them making the map like this could be a reason for them missing the bugged actors in testing.
If you change it to be like this, make sure you know that holding control while are about to lay a point of road makes it so that it won't join to previous road.
I'm not a huge fan of the road system as is. Really wish when you hit escape, then selected a 'point' that the road has placed, you could alter the X-Y coordinates of the point. As it stands it opens up a window where you can't change anything. I'm a bit obsessive about things being EXACTLY where I want them though.

E: You're probably aware of this, but there is a link somewhere in the "Remodel a Blizzard Map" contest or whatever they called it to all the melee map files if you're looking for something liek a reference. I wish I could rotate mineral patches to be honest. Maybe I'll make a custom unit.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-22 02:34:17
June 22 2010 02:33 GMT
#52
On June 22 2010 11:26 stimtokolos wrote:
On Metalopolis the roads don't actually pass under the tarmacs. They terminate neatly at the edge and in the gap the tarmac appears. Them making the map like this could be a reason for them missing the bugged actors in testing.
If you change it to be like this, make sure you know that holding control while are about to lay a point of road makes it so that it won't join to previous road.
I'm not a huge fan of the road system as is. Really wish when you hit escape, then selected a 'point' that the road has placed, you could alter the X-Y coordinates of the point. As it stands it opens up a window where you can't change anything. I'm a bit obsessive about things being EXACTLY where I want them though.

This was actually the next thing I was going to try, even though it's pretty irritating.

On June 22 2010 11:26 stimtokolos wrote:
E: You're probably aware of this, but there is a link somewhere in the "Remodel a Blizzard Map" contest or whatever they called it to all the melee map files if you're looking for something liek a reference. I wish I could rotate mineral patches to be honest. Maybe I'll make a custom unit.

I have them all, I've entered "Neo Metalopolis" into the contest, you can see it in my map thread (shameless self promotion!)
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
stimtokolos
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia77 Posts
June 22 2010 02:50 GMT
#53
Yeah I've been following your map thread. I like that you seem to actually think about a map before just making some random terrain.
I'm holding out on posting the map I've been working on until beta comes back up. There is already a huge quantity of maps on here I'd rather just wait until it can be actually play tested.
I'm also feeling lazy and don't want to have to fix the textures now that I've modified the terrain a bunch. I'll do it eventually.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 22 2010 02:59 GMT
#54
On June 22 2010 11:50 stimtokolos wrote:
Yeah I've been following your map thread. I like that you seem to actually think about a map before just making some random terrain.
I'm holding out on posting the map I've been working on until beta comes back up. There is already a huge quantity of maps on here I'd rather just wait until it can be actually play tested.
I'm also feeling lazy and don't want to have to fix the textures now that I've modified the terrain a bunch. I'll do it eventually.

I'm pseudo-testing against GreenTea AI just to kill some time, but I'm only going to expose map bugs, not huge imbalances like this.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Christmastaflex
Profile Joined May 2010
United States35 Posts
June 22 2010 04:18 GMT
#55
On June 21 2010 16:31 prodiG wrote:
With ten patches, it still nets you WAY more minerals than any other base on the map and controlling that base and saturating it will put you at a significant advantage.


Do you have to be a pioneer? Sure it feels good to be innovative and creative, but your innovation for this map comes from a print of Metalopolis. TWO High Yields. I think you missed the point. I asked how do you respond to someone taking gold. Spend twice as much cash to import a synonymous amount. I'm not sure how much you play but your conclusion to my suggestion of Terran sided map is a little off in my opinion. However that's apples and oranges.

On June 21 2010 16:31 prodiG wrote:
Finally, a Siege Tank on the ledge of the main can hit units running into the nat... What map can they NOT do that on?


I think you have to be deliberately making a statement of that sort. I said about a Siege tank shooting units on the 3rd expansions ramp. Not that natural. Which I haven't downloaded the map and it's a rough estimate, but I believe siege would PROBABLY hit units on the ramp of the 3rd expo. Again going back to the lane situation. It seems like if you want to flank, you would have to travel through expansions on the map. Between the constant differential in high/low ground moving large forces would appear to be problematic. We won't know until we jump on the map and see for ourselves though.

ALL OF THIS CAN BE IRRELEVANT IF YOU CHOOSE. It's your map, I respect your dedication to complete and courage to release it to the public. However when you do so, you subject yourself to criticism. I try and make it constructive as well. Have a good one. Keep them coming.
All you know about me is what I've sold you.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 22 2010 04:32 GMT
#56
On June 22 2010 13:18 Christmastaflex wrote:
Do you have to be a pioneer? Sure it feels good to be innovative and creative, but your innovation for this map comes from a print of Metalopolis. TWO High Yields. I think you missed the point. I asked how do you respond to someone taking gold. Spend twice as much cash to import a synonymous amount. I'm not sure how much you play but your conclusion to my suggestion of Terran sided map is a little off in my opinion. However that's apples and oranges.

Actually, the more I test it vs AI the more I am tempted to drop it to 8 patches and add a pair of geysers. I definitely don't get the idea the base is worth the investment unless it's 30 minutes into the game. Like I said, testing testing testing

On June 22 2010 13:18 Christmastaflex wrote:
I think you have to be deliberately making a statement of that sort. I said about a Siege tank shooting units on the 3rd expansions ramp. Not that natural. Which I haven't downloaded the map and it's a rough estimate, but I believe siege would PROBABLY hit units on the ramp of the 3rd expo. Again going back to the lane situation. It seems like if you want to flank, you would have to travel through expansions on the map. Between the constant differential in high/low ground moving large forces would appear to be problematic. We won't know until we jump on the map and see for ourselves though.

I've tried, it's very far out of range. The farthest a tank can reach is into the connection of the nat to the middle area.

On June 22 2010 13:18 Christmastaflex wrote:
ALL OF THIS CAN BE IRRELEVANT IF YOU CHOOSE. It's your map, I respect your dedication to complete and courage to release it to the public. However when you do so, you subject yourself to criticism. I try and make it constructive as well. Have a good one. Keep them coming.

Fair enough, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I tend to get over-defensive when I hear anything that remotely sounds like "terran/tanks are op on this map!" because I see it everywhere and simply believe that the only reason people are struggling with them is because they're responding to the threat wrong, but that's a completely different discussion (and one that's been discussed to death in like a 50 page thread elsewhere) and I don't need to beat a dead horse. Time will tell, and if tanks are truly overpowered they'll get fixed.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 27 2010 18:57 GMT
#57
Some new screenshots!
Hopefully some tourneys pick this one up so I can fill in the tourney box :D

+ Show Spoiler [Load Screen] +

Load Screen image
[image loading]

In-Game
[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Middle Area] +

Cannot place building, tower being attacked
[image loading]

Building new command center, vision is gone
[image loading]


You'll notice that I axed two more patches and added a pair of geysers. Hopefully that makes this expansion more interesting
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
June 27 2010 18:59 GMT
#58
Terran turtle in the middle > all.
133 221 333 123 111
Skee
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada702 Posts
June 27 2010 19:01 GMT
#59
I really like this map. A++.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
June 27 2010 19:15 GMT
#60
Updated the changelog:


Version 1.1
-Fixed destructible tower
-Removed 2 mineral patches, added 2 geysers to center
-Removed broken Terran Tarmac doodads from intersections. Will re-add in later patch if the actors get fixed (they're bugged, apparently.)
-Added custom load screen
-Added trees blocking the edge of the middle facing the low-ground expansions under it. Units will have a harder time shooting down those expansions.
-Debating switching low-ground expansions to the other side of that area, just under the watchtower.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1249
ComeBackTV 548
SteadfastSC455
TaKeTV 406
LamboSC2395
IndyStarCraft 162
Rex131
EnkiAlexander 53
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 455
LamboSC2 395
mouzHeroMarine 221
IndyStarCraft 162
ProTech156
Rex 131
BRAT_OK 72
UpATreeSC 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35238
Shuttle 1909
Mini 916
EffOrt 880
Light 575
Horang2 498
Rush 328
firebathero 320
Soma 299
Snow 201
[ Show more ]
ZerO 173
BeSt 166
hero 149
sorry 57
Killer 43
Liquid`Ret 35
Mong 33
Shinee 30
ToSsGirL 30
Sexy 24
Bale 20
soO 19
Trap 17
Shine 15
Free 12
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Terrorterran 9
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8349
qojqva1255
Dendi971
420jenkins139
Counter-Strike
fl0m1193
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2013
crisheroes1265
XaKoH 182
MindelVK9
Other Games
singsing1863
B2W.Neo1073
Liquid`VortiX202
Hui .199
ArmadaUGS132
QueenE108
KnowMe94
Mew2King92
Trikslyr53
ToD33
Beastyqt23
Dewaltoss21
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream84
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile121
• Gemini_19 18
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 17
• FirePhoenix10
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3154
• TFBlade1151
Other Games
• Shiphtur206
• WagamamaTV205
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 58m
Stellar Fest
20h 58m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.