• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:44
CEST 20:44
KST 03:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8638 users

Power Rank 02/02/2009 - Page 13

Forum Index > Polls & Liquibet
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 33 Next All
L0thar
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
987 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-14 02:08:23
February 14 2009 02:02 GMT
#241
On February 14 2009 10:52 fanatacist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...

Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 09:09 Shikyo wrote:
I think that you have to take into account the insurmountable map imbalance in the GSL, making Bisu's victory more of a battle among the Protoss. Flash being an exception, of course.




And what?

edit: I mean, I actually support Bisu for nr. 1 (for now), but I don't see why we should restrict ourselves only for GSL when talking about player ability to cope with imbalanced maps...
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
February 14 2009 02:08 GMT
#242
On February 14 2009 10:58 Rostam wrote:
The Bisu-Flash series was in the beginning of January, I don't see why you would factor that into a PR for February. Besides, it's not like you can look at that and go "Man, if those two played right now Bisu would rape the hell out of Flash!".

It was their most recent encounter, and when considering them as equals for #1, the series was not SO far off to make it a weak reference. Did I ever say Bisu was a clear favorite?
Peace~
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
February 14 2009 02:09 GMT
#243
On February 14 2009 11:02 adelarge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 10:52 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...

On February 14 2009 09:09 Shikyo wrote:
I think that you have to take into account the insurmountable map imbalance in the GSL, making Bisu's victory more of a battle among the Protoss. Flash being an exception, of course.




And what?

edit: I mean, I actually support Bisu for nr. 1 (for now), but I don't see why we should restrict ourselves only for GSL when talking about player ability to cope with imbalanced maps...

Because I was responding to his post about the GSL..
Peace~
L0thar
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
987 Posts
February 14 2009 02:17 GMT
#244
On February 14 2009 11:09 fanatacist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 11:02 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:52 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...

On February 14 2009 09:09 Shikyo wrote:
I think that you have to take into account the insurmountable map imbalance in the GSL, making Bisu's victory more of a battle among the Protoss. Flash being an exception, of course.




And what?

edit: I mean, I actually support Bisu for nr. 1 (for now), but I don't see why we should restrict ourselves only for GSL when talking about player ability to cope with imbalanced maps...

Because I was responding to his post about the GSL..


And I was refering to this topic from greater perspective. I bet this isn't the first time somebody did it there, is it?

I think PR should reflect this as well. And if we are comparing Flash with Bisu in that aspect (coping with map imbalance), Flash is definitely more impresive.
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
February 14 2009 02:22 GMT
#245
On February 14 2009 11:17 adelarge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 11:09 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 11:02 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:52 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...

On February 14 2009 09:09 Shikyo wrote:
I think that you have to take into account the insurmountable map imbalance in the GSL, making Bisu's victory more of a battle among the Protoss. Flash being an exception, of course.




And what?

edit: I mean, I actually support Bisu for nr. 1 (for now), but I don't see why we should restrict ourselves only for GSL when talking about player ability to cope with imbalanced maps...

Because I was responding to his post about the GSL..


And I was refering to this topic from greater perspective. I bet this isn't the first time somebody did it there, is it?

I think PR should reflect this as well. And if we are comparing Flash with Bisu in that aspect (coping with map imbalance), Flash is definitely more impresive.

Well then don't try to make it seem like you are countering a statement I am making... ABOUT THE GSL.

Once again I never went into specifics either, I was asking if anyone knew anyone that did that (in the GSL). Also, Katrina is irrelevant to the current PR. By a long shot.
Peace~
L0thar
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
987 Posts
February 14 2009 02:50 GMT
#246
On February 14 2009 11:22 fanatacist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 11:17 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 11:09 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 11:02 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:52 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...

On February 14 2009 09:09 Shikyo wrote:
I think that you have to take into account the insurmountable map imbalance in the GSL, making Bisu's victory more of a battle among the Protoss. Flash being an exception, of course.




And what?

edit: I mean, I actually support Bisu for nr. 1 (for now), but I don't see why we should restrict ourselves only for GSL when talking about player ability to cope with imbalanced maps...

Because I was responding to his post about the GSL..


And I was refering to this topic from greater perspective. I bet this isn't the first time somebody did it there, is it?

I think PR should reflect this as well. And if we are comparing Flash with Bisu in that aspect (coping with map imbalance), Flash is definitely more impresive.

Well then don't try to make it seem like you are countering a statement I am making... ABOUT THE GSL.

Once again I never went into specifics either, I was asking if anyone knew anyone that did that (in the GSL). Also, Katrina is irrelevant to the current PR. By a long shot.


Then look at TvP on Medusa without Flash and Flash stats on that map.
Rostam
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2552 Posts
February 14 2009 02:58 GMT
#247
On February 14 2009 11:08 fanatacist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 10:58 Rostam wrote:
The Bisu-Flash series was in the beginning of January, I don't see why you would factor that into a PR for February. Besides, it's not like you can look at that and go "Man, if those two played right now Bisu would rape the hell out of Flash!".

It was their most recent encounter, and when considering them as equals for #1, the series was not SO far off to make it a weak reference. Did I ever say Bisu was a clear favorite?


Well if it doesn't indicate him as a clear favorite then I don't understand why we should really consider it. There's already ELO and KeSPA for statistical rankings, shouldn't PR be about who's playing best and not what the players' records against each other are? I would think their performances in leagues this month will be different enough that whoever makes the next PR wouldn't have to refer to an old series as any kind of tiebreaker.
BW forever || Thall
raga4ka
Profile Joined February 2008
Bulgaria5679 Posts
February 14 2009 08:59 GMT
#248
Flash deserves # 1 far more then Bisu right now the kid is dominating everywhere , and Bisu let his team down in WL vs MBC/Light on Andromeda of all maps ... Not to mention Flash all - killing Oz and semi - all - killing STX ....When will Bisu do something as amazing as that ?
baubo
Profile Joined September 2008
China3370 Posts
February 14 2009 09:02 GMT
#249
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...


Tears of the Moon is 11-2 ZvP. That is, btw, worse than Mercury's 14-4 ZvP, or Monty Hall's 11-5 PvZ, to name some infamous maps. As for the two wins, I didn't watch Backho's game. But Kal's win was an unexpected one-base timing attack, which is unlikely to work in the future now that zergs know protoss can't FE on the map.

So how is Bisu wrong?

As for Bisu vs Flash in GOM, it was one protoss favored map(Medusa which Flash won), one terran favored map(sin-Chupuny-Ryeong which Flash lost because he fucked up his timing push) and one slightly protoss favored map(Destination where Bisu simply outplayed him).

While GOM maps were protoss favored, you can't blame Flash's loss on it, especially since he WON on the map that was heavily favored against him.

Meh
Darth Peter
Profile Joined October 2008
Romania438 Posts
February 14 2009 09:19 GMT
#250
Come on,stop arguing,there is still half month left. Flash can be fired from both leagues in a matter of days,while Bisu is 90% qualified in the OSL. At least give time for him to get his response at Flash's dominance. If Bisu can perform an all-kill,for which he has plenty of time this month,can beat JD in impressive fashion in Gom and Flash will be eliminated from at least one league,I don't see no reason why Bisu couldn't be no1. Of course,as things are standing right now,Flash is clearly the no1. But damn,there is still half of a month,and a player can fall 4 spots in the PR in one single day,so I don't see why debating who should be no1 this early.
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
February 14 2009 09:46 GMT
#251
Flash has been playing good, but people have been acting like Bisu has started to drop off since the last rank? He 3-1ed Jangbi, he went 6-0 in the OSL tiebreakers, and is currently 2-0 in his OSL Group of Death (wins over both Stork and July). Flash/Bisu should be #1 and #2, I just don't know what order, but it isn't clear cut for either side. Flash finishing his series with Leta, both of their remaining OSL groups, and Bisu vs Jaedong will tell us alot about which one deserves #1 more.
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Zinbiel
Profile Joined October 2008
Sweden878 Posts
February 14 2009 11:41 GMT
#252
On February 14 2009 18:46 Sentenal wrote:
Flash has been playing good, but people have been acting like Bisu has started to drop off since the last rank? He 3-1ed Jangbi, he went 6-0 in the OSL tiebreakers, and is currently 2-0 in his OSL Group of Death (wins over both Stork and July). Flash/Bisu should be #1 and #2, I just don't know what order, but it isn't clear cut for either side. Flash finishing his series with Leta, both of their remaining OSL groups, and Bisu vs Jaedong will tell us alot about which one deserves #1 more.

your sig should be "scan for carriers", they don't even have to scout! j/k
Backho fan since 080416. Favourite terran: Mind. Favourite Zerg: Jaedong.
L0thar
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
987 Posts
February 14 2009 15:06 GMT
#253
On February 14 2009 18:02 baubo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...


Tears of the Moon is 11-2 ZvP. That is, btw, worse than Mercury's 14-4 ZvP, or Monty Hall's 11-5 PvZ, to name some infamous maps. As for the two wins, I didn't watch Backho's game. But Kal's win was an unexpected one-base timing attack, which is unlikely to work in the future now that zergs know protoss can't FE on the map.

So how is Bisu wrong?

As for Bisu vs Flash in GOM, it was one protoss favored map(Medusa which Flash won), one terran favored map(sin-Chupuny-Ryeong which Flash lost because he fucked up his timing push) and one slightly protoss favored map(Destination where Bisu simply outplayed him).

While GOM maps were protoss favored, you can't blame Flash's loss on it, especially since he WON on the map that was heavily favored against him.



He asked how many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance. And I replied, that definitely not Bisu...not because he lost, but the way he did it. He tried to play totally standard, no deviation, no creativity, nothing. I've never questioned the ZvP imbalance of Tears...

And how is he wrong?? The major problem I have here is his bitching that he lost the SECOND game because he was in shock. What the hell?? If he though Tears were such an imbalanced maps, why he didn't practice for the next two maps? How could he be thrown out of balance if he knew that Tears were so imba?

It was BO3 and Tears were only the first map. I would expect more tactics and mental strenght from player of his caliber. I had a great respect for Bisu, but I lost a big amount of it after that interview.

And Flash vs Bisu - don't try to compare the imbalance of Medusa with Sin-Chupung. Medusa is much worse than Sin-Chupung could ever be. It's more like you have one Protoss heaven (Medusa) and two reasonably imbalanced (if there even is such thing) maps (Sin and Destination). With Flash schedule it isn't impossible to imagine, that he trained more on Medusa (because that map is almost in every league) and hoped he could take the win on Sin-Chupung or Destination. It's very speculative...but wait, did I somewhere blame the Flash loss in GOM on maps??
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-14 16:36:05
February 14 2009 16:32 GMT
#254
On February 14 2009 11:58 Rostam wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 11:08 fanatacist wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:58 Rostam wrote:
The Bisu-Flash series was in the beginning of January, I don't see why you would factor that into a PR for February. Besides, it's not like you can look at that and go "Man, if those two played right now Bisu would rape the hell out of Flash!".

It was their most recent encounter, and when considering them as equals for #1, the series was not SO far off to make it a weak reference. Did I ever say Bisu was a clear favorite?


Well if it doesn't indicate him as a clear favorite then I don't understand why we should really consider it. There's already ELO and KeSPA for statistical rankings, shouldn't PR be about who's playing best and not what the players' records against each other are? I would think their performances in leagues this month will be different enough that whoever makes the next PR wouldn't have to refer to an old series as any kind of tiebreaker.

Because although their comparative skill vs. each other TODAY is arguable, their most recent encounter (which was relatively recent) places Bisu above Flash. Fact.

This is the deciding factor, for TODAY, if we consider Bisu and Flash to be 50/50 in taking the #1 rank. I am not talking about making the decision now for the PR 2 weeks from now. I am saying that if the PR were made TODAY, Bisu should be #1 over Flash, if for no better reason than their most recent series (once again, assuming we value their achievements equally outside of this).

On February 14 2009 18:19 Darth Peter wrote:
Come on,stop arguing,there is still half month left. Flash can be fired from both leagues in a matter of days,while Bisu is 90% qualified in the OSL. At least give time for him to get his response at Flash's dominance. If Bisu can perform an all-kill,for which he has plenty of time this month,can beat JD in impressive fashion in Gom and Flash will be eliminated from at least one league,I don't see no reason why Bisu couldn't be no1. Of course,as things are standing right now,Flash is clearly the no1. But damn,there is still half of a month,and a player can fall 4 spots in the PR in one single day,so I don't see why debating who should be no1 this early.


I personally value titles greater than WL domination. Why? The pressure increases exponentially from WL -> Individual leagues -> quarterfinals -> semifinals -> finals. The stakes are much higher. The selection of opponent (usually) is the cream of the crop in many stages of the tournament, if not the finals. The series involves mind games and other BoX factors. WL is limited in that department. Thus winning a league to me is more impressive than all-killing ACE (rofl) and some relative no-names. Not saying he didn't beat good players; he did. But it's not like those players had to go through an elimination tournament to face him, and neither did he (well, you can make an argument that WL is kind of similar to an elimination tournament, but once again the pressure is not nearly the same, even at 3-3 tie breaker).

Of course, if either player can do both, they are the clear favorite. But fact is fact; Bisu won a league. Flash did not. Flash has a good WL record. Bisu's record is less impressive but still present, with a 75% winrate (as far as I recall). That makes my choice for #1, TODAY, obvious.

Some people, like you, seem to value WL all-kills over tournament titles, and I would like to hear a case for that. In my opinion, that is just exaggerating the reality. I disagree whole-heartedly. But for the sake of the previous argument, I assumed the compromise that they are 50/50 right now.

Like I said previously, things can change drastically in the next few weeks, but as for the here and now, Bisu is a step above Flash in getting #1.
Peace~
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
February 14 2009 16:46 GMT
#255
On February 15 2009 00:06 adelarge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2009 18:02 baubo wrote:
On February 14 2009 10:25 adelarge wrote:
On February 14 2009 09:57 fanatacist wrote:
How many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance?


Well, definitely not Bisu, seeing how he played like total ass on Tears of the Moon and then even had the guts to blame that map for his second loss on totaly different map...

On the other hand, Flash and Katrina, that's totally diferent story...


Tears of the Moon is 11-2 ZvP. That is, btw, worse than Mercury's 14-4 ZvP, or Monty Hall's 11-5 PvZ, to name some infamous maps. As for the two wins, I didn't watch Backho's game. But Kal's win was an unexpected one-base timing attack, which is unlikely to work in the future now that zergs know protoss can't FE on the map.

So how is Bisu wrong?

As for Bisu vs Flash in GOM, it was one protoss favored map(Medusa which Flash won), one terran favored map(sin-Chupuny-Ryeong which Flash lost because he fucked up his timing push) and one slightly protoss favored map(Destination where Bisu simply outplayed him).

While GOM maps were protoss favored, you can't blame Flash's loss on it, especially since he WON on the map that was heavily favored against him.



He asked how many players tried to find ways to deal with map imbalance. And I replied, that definitely not Bisu...not because he lost, but the way he did it. He tried to play totally standard, no deviation, no creativity, nothing. I've never questioned the ZvP imbalance of Tears...

And how is he wrong?? The major problem I have here is his bitching that he lost the SECOND game because he was in shock. What the hell?? If he though Tears were such an imbalanced maps, why he didn't practice for the next two maps? How could he be thrown out of balance if he knew that Tears were so imba?

It was BO3 and Tears were only the first map. I would expect more tactics and mental strenght from player of his caliber. I had a great respect for Bisu, but I lost a big amount of it after that interview.

And Flash vs Bisu - don't try to compare the imbalance of Medusa with Sin-Chupung. Medusa is much worse than Sin-Chupung could ever be. It's more like you have one Protoss heaven (Medusa) and two reasonably imbalanced (if there even is such thing) maps (Sin and Destination). With Flash schedule it isn't impossible to imagine, that he trained more on Medusa (because that map is almost in every league) and hoped he could take the win on Sin-Chupung or Destination. It's very speculative...but wait, did I somewhere blame the Flash loss in GOM on maps??

You clearly underestimate the importance of mind games. Why do you think people cheese in the first game of a Bo5 like Stork/July did? It's to get a mental edge. Your mental state is just as important if not moreso than your tactics and strategy and mechanics in this game. The best PvZ getting raped so brutally on a new map - that is like a knife to the mind of anyone. If I beat you in a humiliating fashion at your reputedly best matchup (not as true for Bisu anymore, but it's not that bad either), would you feel confident in our next match? No. Similar concept applies. He explained his reason for not performing in the next match, due to very understandable reasons. Get over it.

Sin Chupung Reyung
PvT: 5-8 (38.5%)
Medusa
PvT: 35-14 (71.4%)
Destination
PvT: 28-22 (56%)

If we go by pure statistics, the total % of the three maps combined divided by 300% SHOULD be the chance that a player of that race would beat an equal skill opponent of the opposing race. So...

(38.5+71.4+56)/300 = 165.9/300 = .553

I'd say that is pretty balanced.
Peace~
wswordsmen
Profile Joined October 2007
United States987 Posts
February 14 2009 20:57 GMT
#256
On February 15 2009 01:46 fanatacist wrote:
Sin Chupung Reyung
PvT: 5-8 (38.5%)
Medusa
PvT: 35-14 (71.4%)
Destination
PvT: 28-22 (56%)

If we go by pure statistics, the total % of the three maps combined divided by 300% SHOULD be the chance that a player of that race would beat an equal skill opponent of the opposing race. So...

(38.5+71.4+56)/300 = 165.9/300 = .553

I'd say that is pretty balanced.

Your not weighting it by number of games played (not that would have any direct result on the number you got, but it would change the conclusion considerably). The odds of protoss equalizing the stats (assuming equal players in each game) on Sin Chupung Reyung are 1/8 if it really is perfectly balanced, similarly terrans coming back on Destination is 1/64. However the odds of Medusa ever seeing balanced stats TvP is 1/2097152. So essentially we have 1 fairly balanced map, 1 nearly completely unknown map, and one that clearly has a protoss bias, yet you are counting the stats as equal anyway.

Also due to sample size differences the terran bias of Sin Chupung ~ the protoss bias of destination.
SimonB
Profile Joined September 2008
United States1088 Posts
February 14 2009 22:00 GMT
#257
On February 15 2009 01:46 fanatacist wrote:

Sin Chupung Reyung
PvT: 5-8 (38.5%)
Medusa
PvT: 35-14 (71.4%)
Destination
PvT: 28-22 (56%)

If we go by pure statistics, the total % of the three maps combined divided by 300% SHOULD be the chance that a player of that race would beat an equal skill opponent of the opposing race. So...

(38.5+71.4+56)/300 = 165.9/300 = .553

I'd say that is pretty balanced.
That's a pretty spurious argument. Do you honestly think Sin Chupung's 5-8 shows any kind of the imbalance that the records for the other two maps demonstrate? Hell, if you use just plain Chupung Ryeong (which is almost the same map except the area behind the natural isn't as big), you get a 19-10 record in favor of Protoss.

I'm not dismissing Bisu's win over Flash as nothing, but it was very very close, and the map balance was significantly on the Protoss side (and Flash fucked up and didn't notice two DTs until a few seconds too late which almost assuredly cost him the game on Destination).
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-14 22:50:44
February 14 2009 22:42 GMT
#258
*useless quote*
Because GSL's map pool is clearly the most imbalanced one I've seen in a long time.

EDIT: And I don't necessarily mean the later maps. But the map pool in the ro64 and ro32 and such that eliminated all the Zergs and nearly all the Terrans was horrendous. Please don't look at the final or semifinal map pool, that's not what I'm talking about.


Tears of the moon is just to balance maps like, dare I say, BYZANTIUM?

I don't know about people attempting to overcome imbalances... I don't know what you mean, really. Cheesing? If so, that's what many T's did vs P on Neo Requiem(worst map ever).
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
February 14 2009 22:45 GMT
#259
On February 15 2009 05:57 wswordsmen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2009 01:46 fanatacist wrote:
Sin Chupung Reyung
PvT: 5-8 (38.5%)
Medusa
PvT: 35-14 (71.4%)
Destination
PvT: 28-22 (56%)

If we go by pure statistics, the total % of the three maps combined divided by 300% SHOULD be the chance that a player of that race would beat an equal skill opponent of the opposing race. So...

(38.5+71.4+56)/300 = 165.9/300 = .553

I'd say that is pretty balanced.

Your not weighting it by number of games played (not that would have any direct result on the number you got, but it would change the conclusion considerably). The odds of protoss equalizing the stats (assuming equal players in each game) on Sin Chupung Reyung are 1/8 if it really is perfectly balanced, similarly terrans coming back on Destination is 1/64. However the odds of Medusa ever seeing balanced stats TvP is 1/2097152. So essentially we have 1 fairly balanced map, 1 nearly completely unknown map, and one that clearly has a protoss bias, yet you are counting the stats as equal anyway.

Also due to sample size differences the terran bias of Sin Chupung ~ the protoss bias of destination.

Not really sure where you are getting these numbers from (I trust you, tentatively), but 1/8th isn't that big, and even if it were to equalize it'd just signify a change in gameflow on the map, much like how new strategies affect the development of any map (PvT on Katrina, PvZ on Destination, etc. etc.). At the time of their games, Chupung was considered a Terran-favored map. Medusa was considered a Protoss-favored map. End of story.

Of course my method isn't definitive, but it's not my fault that the amount of games played is less on one map than on another. I could make a confidence interval which would make my conclusion even more statistically sound, but that is too much work. Instead I will do this:

Sum of P wins on maps / Number of games on maps
68 / 112 = .607

Now, this would be a more accurate statistic I guess, and still not drastically imbalanced.

However, Flash won on Medusa... So if the other two maps are "unknown" and balanced in your opinion, how could Flash lose? Clearly imbalance isn't everything.
Peace~
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
February 14 2009 22:47 GMT
#260
On February 15 2009 07:00 SimonB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2009 01:46 fanatacist wrote:

Sin Chupung Reyung
PvT: 5-8 (38.5%)
Medusa
PvT: 35-14 (71.4%)
Destination
PvT: 28-22 (56%)

If we go by pure statistics, the total % of the three maps combined divided by 300% SHOULD be the chance that a player of that race would beat an equal skill opponent of the opposing race. So...

(38.5+71.4+56)/300 = 165.9/300 = .553

I'd say that is pretty balanced.
That's a pretty spurious argument. Do you honestly think Sin Chupung's 5-8 shows any kind of the imbalance that the records for the other two maps demonstrate? Hell, if you use just plain Chupung Ryeong (which is almost the same map except the area behind the natural isn't as big), you get a 19-10 record in favor of Protoss.

I'm not dismissing Bisu's win over Flash as nothing, but it was very very close, and the map balance was significantly on the Protoss side (and Flash fucked up and didn't notice two DTs until a few seconds too late which almost assuredly cost him the game on Destination).

Addressed above. Look at the last few lines for the response to the second part of your post.
Peace~
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 33 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM776
TKL 274
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 776
ByuN 369
mouzHeroMarine 301
TKL 274
IndyStarCraft 186
BRAT_OK 56
MindelVK 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16009
Calm 2568
Horang2 400
Dewaltoss 163
Mini 145
Rush 84
Zeus 47
EffOrt 36
Free 35
Trap 25
[ Show more ]
Bale 18
ToSsGirL 17
scan(afreeca) 15
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
febbydoto9
LuMiX0
League of Legends
KnowMe46
Counter-Strike
fl0m4503
pashabiceps1448
Fnx 799
edward27
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2268
Liquid`Hasu489
Other Games
singsing1743
Liquid`RaSZi1636
Beastyqt769
B2W.Neo355
C9.Mang0298
crisheroes220
dupreeh146
QueenE113
Trikslyr72
UpATreeSC57
JuggernautJason20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH308
• EnkiAlexander 33
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 20
• Michael_bg 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2661
League of Legends
• Nemesis3314
• TFBlade748
Other Games
• imaqtpie794
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15h 16m
INu's Battles
16h 16m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
18h 16m
OSC
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 4h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.