• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:38
CEST 07:38
KST 14:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202613Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10138 users

What do you think of the new WCS system? - Page 3

Forum Index > Polls & Liquibet
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
KaiserKieran
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States615 Posts
April 04 2013 23:19 GMT
#41
I think GSL type tournaments in NA and EU are both great things. I look forward to it but I can't get the notion out of my head that his will harm small tournaments and hurt e-sports in the long run.
dNa
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany591 Posts
April 04 2013 23:40 GMT
#42
Overall this system made a very positive first impression in my opinion.

The only thing that straight up bugs me, (maybe because I didn't understand it completely yet) is that there might be a problem regarding getting 'new' (read: unknown) players into this tournament. This new system seems to be more of a overall global point system for existing players, which means Blizzard seems to go away from their original goal of WCS which was to give players the opportunity to have regional champions, as well as a platform for rising stars.

In some ways I'll have to see how it will pan out (in regards to how the point system works, or how different tournaments play into it).
Also I'm not sure if I personally had chosen IEM over Dreamhack, simply because Dreamhack made a REALLY great tournament last year, and choosing a new partner over one I already had a great experience with seems counterintuitive to me.
Then again, I'm sure there are reasons behind the scenes that I don't know of, and I don't think anyone can argue that IEM will do a great job as well.

Other than those 'doubts' I'm positively surprised by this new system, It's really much better than the one of last year, and I'm convinced that Blizzard will continue to improve upon it, when or if problems should come up.
"a pitchfork is for hay. a trident is for killing bitches." -djwheat
trada
Profile Joined August 2012
Germany347 Posts
April 05 2013 01:32 GMT
#43
it looks good on paper, but we shall see.
~
Darpa
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada4413 Posts
April 05 2013 04:28 GMT
#44
Id rather they region lock the competition by residence. You must live in said area to compete, and those outside of those areas can compete in the best ping region to their area if they dont have their own competition (china, sea, SA).

Other than that, seems good.
"losers always whine about their best, Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"
Zerg.Zilla
Profile Joined February 2012
Hungary5029 Posts
April 05 2013 05:28 GMT
#45
Free HD stream, Koreans to boost the european and NA scene.Bigger prize pool.So what's not to like?
(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) ~Keep calm and inject Larva~
GelberSack
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany8 Posts
April 05 2013 08:24 GMT
#46
I voted neutral b/c a lot is still in the dark. How will MLG and ESL run their tournaments? If Koreans have to chose on which continent to play, does that mean they cant play the 3rd GSL when they want to play on other continents (as they can change region after this GSL)? Are we screwed out a GSL b/c of the OGN tournament? Is that an OSL? The list goes on.

I like the aspect WCS had last year, and WCG still has. Foreigners vs some Koreans with an actual chance of winning something that matters. It's fun to see some European win a Dreamhack, where the strongest Korean has no chance of playing Code S. But to see e.g. Socke, Stephano or Naniwa make Koreans fight for their victory is where it's at for me. I hope we don't lose that with the new format.

Nonetheless: Loving how Blizz seems to make Gom, KeSPA, eSF and OGN work together!

Just saw: Socke to EG ^^
www.kirchenchor.com
Damnight
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Germany222 Posts
April 05 2013 08:30 GMT
#47
I have to disagree here. It (from my perspective) looks BAD on paper. I haven't seen any residency restrictions (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong). Which means that Koreans can play from Korea on EU and NA qualifiers, but EU and NA have a hard time playing on KR because in Korea it's lan, EU/NA is online.
I don't think there needs to be a nationality restriction, but I am of the opinion that we need a residency restriction which means, that violet can play on NA qualifier but not on EU/KR; vise versa Symbol can't stomp NA/EU but only crush KR.
I don't think we have to have only Koreans in the final event, and I'm sorry to all foreign pro's but there are very little of you being able to compete with a ton of koreans. If you look at it, even B-Teamers are SO strong.
This system would benefit all people who live outside Korea, and everybody who lives there would have a disadvantage, but as Sase said: He isn't there for the money, he wants to be as good as possible.

I think the System ESL uses would be great as a structure (EPS is residency restricted). As a format I am more than happy with the GSL one
J1.au
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Australia3596 Posts
April 05 2013 08:41 GMT
#48
"I don't know". I read the announcement and I still don't understand it.
Miss_Foxy
Profile Joined March 2012
Singapore109 Posts
April 05 2013 09:37 GMT
#49
Strongly approve, Blizzard made the right choice.
I love Blizzard's stuff and Korea ~ <3
warmus
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom196 Posts
April 05 2013 10:39 GMT
#50
The free stream is sweet, though watching foreigners play foreigners is not. Watching games where a "pro" loses because he cannot react to two simultaneous drops is just not fun. I am not sure why everyone believes this will increase skill level of foreigners. You cannot make a logical connection between the format and player skill without falling into some serious fallacy territory. As long as some Koreans transfer to different regions it may become good, foreigner on foreigner will just be affirmative action without raising skill level. We have seen time and time again that best foreigners can at times compete with koreans, and players like Catz will never be able to compete, WCS or not. But i guess we truly have to wait and see what happens.
neptunusfisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
2286 Posts
April 05 2013 13:06 GMT
#51
On April 04 2013 09:56 kochanfe wrote:
if there ends up being free VODs


That would be the best part.

But now, it's rather bizarre with the "let's put a bunch of foreigners as cannon fodder in the grand finals"-attitude promoting B-teamers to go abroad and hindering Code A players from having a chance ever.

The concept is cool but the execution is inhumane.
maru G5L pls
markrevival
Profile Joined January 2012
United States222 Posts
April 05 2013 14:49 GMT
#52
my biggest concern is that non-Koreans will no longer be able to participate or attempt to qualify for GSL/OSL because that will, in future seasons, automatically lock them into the Korean region. Watching foreigners try and have success in Korea while still representing their countries in WCS has been a huge part of the GSL/GSTL/Proleague experience. It will be really sad if Scarlett, MajOr, Huk, Naniwa, SortOf and others are restricted from participating in GSL because of this.
HeeroFX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2704 Posts
April 05 2013 15:45 GMT
#53
I think it's cool but it remains to be seen how it will play out. I am optimistic it will help define who is the best player. I think blizzard should buy ad time for it too.
zephiK
Profile Joined March 2012
United States372 Posts
April 05 2013 17:37 GMT
#54
Would of voted for strongly agreed if DreamHack was apart of it. I felt like WCS Europe was definitely superior than the WCS finals =/ but overall, its pretty good.
Mallement
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark39 Posts
April 05 2013 19:04 GMT
#55
I like the idea that there will be a definitive world best player instead a champion of MLG, a champion of Dreamhack, a champion of Iron Squid, and the list goes on.

Winning WCS will prove ultimately that you are the best.

GSL Code S/A will always be something special with the element of preparation that goes into it for each player.
[]Phase[]
Profile Joined September 2010
Belgium927 Posts
April 05 2013 21:03 GMT
#56
Im not behind it a 100%, but I still like that its all coming together, if you know what I mean.
TheDougler
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada8323 Posts
April 06 2013 01:17 GMT
#57
I preferred several bits of the old system. I don't think that with this system we'll get something as amazing as WCS Europe was last year.

Somewhat disapprove.
I root for Euro Zergs, NA Protoss* and Korean Terrans. (Any North American who has beat a Korean Pro as Protoss counts as NA Toss)
Terrasmith
Profile Joined February 2013
47 Posts
April 06 2013 05:46 GMT
#58
I'd like to see WCS become a larger tournament, with 32 or 64 players at the end of the year, instead of the top five from each region. Just because it would allow all of the top koreans and foreigners a shot, instead of pitting the top five code S players against NA and EU competition, plus any koreans who move regions. I don't want the "world championship" to be a bunch of one-sided games and then the final four.

This severely disadvantages the best players in the world while promoting second-rate players (read:most foreigners), but doesn't mean the foreign players will get any better. So "Koreans are too good; let's limit the number of them that compete to make it more fun." Except that I want to see the most skilled characters, not my country's flag. I also strongly agree with what MC said about what the new format does to code A players. Overall, I don't like it.

That said, I'm happy that Blizzard is trying to make SCII a more international event. They just need find a way to do it that forces foreigners to improve instead of crippling the korean players.
Havik_
Profile Joined November 2011
United States5585 Posts
April 06 2013 06:56 GMT
#59
Most confusing tournament structure I've seen. A revised version of last year's system with more seeds going to Korea would be better.
"An opinion is only as good as the evidence that backs it up."- William O'Malley, S.J.
Incubus1993
Profile Joined February 2013
Canada140 Posts
April 06 2013 18:58 GMT
#60
I don't know and neutral are the same thing lol
"I like to keep an open mind, but not so open my brains fall out."
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 187
Nina 121
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3843
Sharp 415
Mong 90
Dewaltoss 87
Icarus 9
Noble 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King206
Other Games
summit1g7069
WinterStarcraft572
C9.Mang0276
Sick141
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• StrangeGG 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2256
League of Legends
• Lourlo1091
• Stunt384
Other Games
• Shiphtur481
Upcoming Events
OSC
17h 22m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 4h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.