• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:26
CEST 14:26
KST 21:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8696 users

IEM Sao Paulo, Day One - Victory Road - Page 6

Forum Index > News
109 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
MVTaylor
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2893 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 21:29:04
February 08 2012 21:26 GMT
#101
On February 09 2012 05:19 tree.hugger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 02:14 mvtaylor wrote:
illusion is the first player eliminated from IEM Sao Paulo while darkforce gets through 2-1. Boom, pretty happy given my earlier post in the thread.

I think that's why people, and not just germans, get a bit annoyed, the amount of hype attached to players based on what is effectively one week of decent results in online matches.

Lets bet on this. I think Illusion will win a major tournament before DarKFoRcE does, and you seem to disagree. Name your terms.


What an utterly ridiculous comment given the massive number of variables involved, but to humour you...$20?

I'm only a student so take it or leave it, it's an amazingly fantastic bet for you.
@followMVT
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 22:21:57
February 08 2012 22:10 GMT
#102
On February 09 2012 05:55 OrbitalPlane wrote:
i actually don't want to be too narrow-minded, the rest of the write up was pretty good but since you asked here are your answers:

Show nested quote +
Name a single thing in my short paragraph on DarKFoRcE that was incorrect, or evidence of poor research.

I already did on page 1, but here again special for you:
lack of stellar major tournament results is not true
and DarKFoRcE's best result yet was his defeat of aLive in the NASL Season 1 finals is arguably wrong too.
he has put up quite decent good results in a lot of big tournaments
just some examples:
He beat several of the best foreigners and best koreans out there on the GeForce tournament and placing 3rd
did well at WCG, beating MKP and getting out of the group
at both NASL, first placing as the highest foreigner, second one going to the playoffs

Yet it's hard to acknowledge that it does achieve above-average results.
This sounds very weird to me. what is average results? and what is above-average results? Sounds to me like not very extraordinary.
You're totally mincing words. DarKFoRcE's results aren't 'stellar', that's a word I'd describe for people who've won things. Above average, is a phrase I'd use to describe players like DarKFoRcE who have a few good finishes, but have never really threatened to win a tournament. I don't count a Bo1 defeat of MKP as better than a Bo3 defeat of aLive. You're right, GeForce was a good tournament for him, but he never beat anyone the calibre of aLive in that event, and online events six months ago with the KR-AM server lag don't really mean much when we're talking about live events right now.

On February 09 2012 05:55 OrbitalPlane wrote:
Show nested quote +
Moreover, my paragraph was plenty positive about DF.

the only really positive thing i can find is that he is funny.

Show nested quote +
Did you read the part where I said he was the second best known in the group

yes i did, that's more a fact than a positive statement

Show nested quote +
that he was the second most likely to advance?
Your prediction was 0:3 so sorry that i don't buy that...

Show nested quote +
Or did you not read the paragraph at all? O_o

i actually did, but it seems you did not read my post on page 1.
I read your post on Page 1, but it was 100% opinion and no facts to back it up. In this post, I explained exactly why I think DarKFoRcE's NASL Bo3 win over aLive was his best result yet, you're entitled to disagree, of course, but you have never proved anything to be wrong or poorly researched. I can't go over the entire life story of every player, I pick and choose the results that I think are most important. Second, since when did a positive statement not count as something positive? And third, my prediction was what I wrote in the article, did you choose to ignore what was written at the end because you were mesmerized by the random numbers at the end? The numbers at the end are guesses about something that it's impossible to be precise for. I'd prefer you put more weight into the actual analysis.

On February 09 2012 05:55 OrbitalPlane wrote:
Show nested quote +
I recognize that DF wins a lot of games, but I personally (I think it's abundantly clear that my opinion there was a personal value judgement) think his style is dull, and that he doesn't have the massive upside I see in players like Illusion. I tend to sometimes overvalue a player's potential at the cost of their current form, but I'll stand by my analysis here any day.


I just don't think its the right place to criticize a player. I don't mind if you post it somewhere else but not in the presentation of a player. But that's just my opinion maybe i am the only one who is bothered by that.

the prediction is fine fore me. even so a lot of people might disagree thats your good right to say so.
(But if you make such a ballsy prediction you should not be surprised if other people have a different opinion. even so here were quite some unfair flames about it tbh)

EDIT: Beastyqt Illusion showmatch?
i would have to bet on beasty so. :D


I have to be honest, it annoys me when people don't read anything and just look at the numbers and then say dumb things about it. You clearly read what I wrote, but other people don't. I recognize that you're a fan of DarKFoRcE, and that obviously you disagree with my assessment. That's just the way it is. But don't call me out for being factually incorrect, when I'm not being factually incorrect, and don't try to interpret obvious opinion as fact and then try to pin me to it. Please.




On February 09 2012 06:26 mvtaylor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 05:19 tree.hugger wrote:
On February 09 2012 02:14 mvtaylor wrote:
illusion is the first player eliminated from IEM Sao Paulo while darkforce gets through 2-1. Boom, pretty happy given my earlier post in the thread.

I think that's why people, and not just germans, get a bit annoyed, the amount of hype attached to players based on what is effectively one week of decent results in online matches.

Lets bet on this. I think Illusion will win a major tournament before DarKFoRcE does, and you seem to disagree. Name your terms.


What an utterly ridiculous comment given the massive number of variables involved, but to humour you...$20?

I'm only a student so take it or leave it, it's an amazingly fantastic bet for you.
If you don't actually believe in what you seemed to be arguing, than there's no point in making a bet on it. If you think I misunderstood what you mean by being annoyed by hype [and preferring an established player; i.e. DarKFoRcE is better than Illusion] than please state what you mean more clearly and we can discuss it.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
Timmeh_Anderson
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany37 Posts
February 08 2012 22:17 GMT
#103
so i guess winning a BO5 against startale_ace in geforce cup is not noticable for you too?
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
February 08 2012 22:41 GMT
#104
On February 09 2012 07:17 Timmeh_Anderson wrote:
so i guess winning a BO5 against startale_ace in geforce cup is not noticable for you too?

I can't do this anymore. T_T
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
Beastyqt
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Serbia516 Posts
February 08 2012 23:12 GMT
#105
On February 09 2012 05:19 tree.hugger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 02:14 mvtaylor wrote:
illusion is the first player eliminated from IEM Sao Paulo while darkforce gets through 2-1. Boom, pretty happy given my earlier post in the thread.

I think that's why people, and not just germans, get a bit annoyed, the amount of hype attached to players based on what is effectively one week of decent results in online matches.

Lets bet on this. I think Illusion will win a major tournament before DarKFoRcE does, and you seem to disagree. Name your terms.

Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 01:37 OrbitalPlane wrote:
Well i was not complaining about the prediction,(even so i don't agree with it). Everyone can has his own opinion about that and it's fine to discuss it, too. And the predictions are predictions so they obviously don't always have to come true. no problem with that...

What was not appropriate imho is to present a player as boring and with a poorly researched introduction. I just don't like the picture that is drawn by that. A lot of people who don't know darkforce as well as the european scene might get a completely wrong picture of him.
If there are several writers anyways, why not let find a writer for the notes who can actually find a positive word of the player?

Name a single thing in my short paragraph on DarKFoRcE that was incorrect, or evidence of poor research. Moreover, my paragraph was plenty positive about DF. Did you read the part where I said he was the second best known in the group, that he was the second most likely to advance?

Or did you not read the paragraph at all? O_o

I recognize that DF wins a lot of games, but I personally (I think it's abundantly clear that my opinion there was a personal value judgement) think his style is dull, and that he doesn't have the massive upside I see in players like Illusion. I tend to sometimes overvalue a player's potential at the cost of their current form, but I'll stand by my analysis here any day.

Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 04:19 Empire.Beastyqt wrote:
On February 09 2012 03:58 mvtaylor wrote:
On February 09 2012 03:45 Empire.Beastyqt wrote:
I dont think Illusion deserves hate for people hyping him its not really his fault, casters in general try to hype new players after winning one bo3..too much in my opinion.

Illusion is very good for 15 year old player, I have no doubt if he keeps playing that he will be top top player in 12-18 months, but people that hype him are doing more hurt than good (like in this thread people flaming him and calling him bad after so much hype because people expect too much from him).

I watched his games today first time and he plays very risky in TvZ, not getting tank until 14minute and siege mode until 15min will get destroyed many times with just 2 base baneling bust allins or infestor plays. His micro and macro are good, but (no offence to him or his fans) he is not top player and he probably knows it since he's a smart guy. He isnt far away from it either, but like I said if he keeps practising he will slay some nerds very soon, he should work on his builds mostly since his understanding of the TvZ seems better than his builds in it.


Oh exactly, I don't think anyone here hates illusion, he does what he has to do and plays as best he can in his own style. I think people dislike the amount of hype that gets put on certain players who have only a handful of games on which to back it up, trimaster, goswser, gatored etc. I'm sure we'll see more from him in the future once he has more lan experience and sc2 experience in general while he isn't trying to juggle school and sc2.


I know I hate the hyping after one tournament or one series as well

Beasty top three foreign terran?


Not sure what you mean with that last thing, I was saying hype from casters, predictions arent hyping someone
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/Beastyqt YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/beastyqtsc2
MVTaylor
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2893 Posts
February 08 2012 23:25 GMT
#106
On February 09 2012 07:10 tree.hugger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 06:26 mvtaylor wrote:
On February 09 2012 05:19 tree.hugger wrote:
On February 09 2012 02:14 mvtaylor wrote:
illusion is the first player eliminated from IEM Sao Paulo while darkforce gets through 2-1. Boom, pretty happy given my earlier post in the thread.

I think that's why people, and not just germans, get a bit annoyed, the amount of hype attached to players based on what is effectively one week of decent results in online matches.

Lets bet on this. I think Illusion will win a major tournament before DarKFoRcE does, and you seem to disagree. Name your terms.


What an utterly ridiculous comment given the massive number of variables involved, but to humour you...$20?

I'm only a student so take it or leave it, it's an amazingly fantastic bet for you.
If you don't actually believe in what you seemed to be arguing, than there's no point in making a bet on it. If you think I misunderstood what you mean by being annoyed by hype [and preferring an established player; i.e. DarKFoRcE is better than Illusion] than please state what you mean more clearly and we can discuss it.


Right, I would argue that looking at their previous form that Darkforce is a better track player right now, illusion has had four notable achievements... Qualifying for this event with a 3-0 over demu in the process, Beating Lucky and Choya in online bo1s cross server, Coming "second" at ONOG and finishing 24th at MLG Providence.

However this was his first ever LAN tournament not in the US and as I said he can't be comfortable about it if in the interview with Bitter he says he doesn't tell people what he's doing when he competes in LANs. You could see he was nervous, in the final game he played against KiLLeR he just let his marines stand there while banelings rolled in to them in the middle of the map off creep then forgot to gg, for someone who has shown great micro and marine splitting that sort of shows he wasn't 100%. Darkforce on the other hand doesn't have these nerve issues, he played as well as he usually does at LANs and that's pretty okay considering he can beat MKP in Korea, get to the ro8 at NASL1 etc.

Now, illusion does have more POTENTIAL than darkforce. He's far younger, hasn't even played Terran until season 2 of ladder etc but he doesn't have a track record or much lan experience, zero foreign lan experience before this.

So, once he's got a bit more of that, overcome some nerves and such then I think he will be able to pull out better results than darkforce, but it takes a pretty special sort of person that can do that at their first foreign lan based off of four "achievements". Hype is good at getting players noticed and showing who are ones to look out for but you need to keep things in perspective for a 15 year old kid going to his first foreign event.

In six months, darkforce will probably be in the same sort of place he is now but the future looks far brighter for illusion.
@followMVT
Elem
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden4717 Posts
February 09 2012 00:31 GMT
#107
On February 09 2012 07:17 Timmeh_Anderson wrote:
so i guess winning a BO5 against startale_ace in geforce cup is not noticable for you too?
It's not.
#freeshauni
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
February 09 2012 00:38 GMT
#108
On February 08 2012 15:18 devPLEASE wrote:
When did Illusion leave oGs and join Vile?


wrong illusion
Don't worry, that's halo!
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
February 09 2012 00:45 GMT
#109
On February 09 2012 03:45 Empire.Beastyqt wrote:
I dont think Illusion deserves hate for people hyping him its not really his fault, casters in general try to hype new players after winning one bo3..too much in my opinion.

Illusion is very good for 15 year old player, I have no doubt if he keeps playing that he will be top top player in 12-18 months, but people that hype him are doing more hurt than good (like in this thread people flaming him and calling him bad after so much hype because people expect too much from him).

I watched his games today first time and he plays very risky in TvZ, not getting tank until 14minute and siege mode until 15min will get destroyed many times with just 2 base baneling bust allins or infestor plays. His micro and macro are good, but (no offence to him or his fans) he is not top player and he probably knows it since he's a smart guy. He isnt far away from it either, but like I said if he keeps practising he will slay some nerds very soon, he should work on his builds mostly since his understanding of the TvZ seems better than his builds in it.


I know illusion for pretty much a year now - he used to play zerg in season 1/2 so his tvz always has been a strong part, because his micro is pretty darn good - he doesnt like tanks, he feels to immobile with them and prefers to not use them, or well he just doesn't make them early on. thats why he rather gets some helions and marines and micro's the hell out off it. he aswell has been baneling busted alot and practiced alot against it, he holds alot of baneling busts pretty well. unless he fails to read them, wich he hardly does because he is quite the aggressor. i do completely agree on you tho, he has alot of things to work on. but, he is working on it - and the hype around him is aswell something thats just happening. he is young, played good online in IPL, beated demuslim 3-0 to qualify for this IEM. enough reason to hype him. sadly he lost both his tvz's 2-1. but, funny enough if he managed to win those, and advance everybody would praise him - sadly enough thats how the world is.

Just indeed, look for him in about 12 months.
Don't worry, that's halo!
Fatze
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Germany1342 Posts
February 09 2012 02:11 GMT
#110
awesome article!
Comfort from bottles, cheers from beers the guitars are our weapons and we know how to kill!
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko433
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41799
Bisu 1537
Horang2 1026
Hyuk 368
BeSt 330
EffOrt 312
Mini 290
Soma 282
Light 265
Larva 192
[ Show more ]
ZerO 131
Rush 109
Leta 102
Snow 101
Mong 95
Barracks 87
Pusan 59
Sea.KH 58
ToSsGirL 43
JYJ 37
Shinee 30
NaDa 30
Mind 30
Aegong 28
Yoon 24
Sexy 23
Bale 21
sorry 20
zelot 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Noble 11
JulyZerg 9
Icarus 7
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
Gorgc1489
XaKoH 381
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1520
Khaldor1168
Other Games
gofns33438
singsing2275
olofmeister1349
B2W.Neo343
hiko197
Livibee188
Mew2King78
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream226
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH177
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 11
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
34m
OSC
9h 34m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 34m
Online Event
22h 34m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.