• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:59
CEST 11:59
KST 18:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12033 users

[M][T] Host's Revenge Mafia - Page 172

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 170 171 172
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-17 15:38:40
January 15 2017 06:11 GMT
#3421
The emergent gameplay is pretty nuts.

At some point in host chat I wrote something along the lines of

slam incorrectly thanks hosts via walkie talkie for the paperplane from LS to disfo getting blown off course by breeze, thus inadvertently radioing it to GB dentures

That was when we realized we had created a monster.


Gotta tell this story properly for those who didn't connect the dots / wouldn't go digging for it:
  • Calix & I were refining N1 feast item ideas. We crippled the "thermal goggles" + Show Spoiler +
    The battery seems to be running low… enough for one night’s use.
    As long as you still have battery power, you can target one player each night.
    You will spy on their house, and find out if they were visited by anyone.
    But you will not learn the identities of any visitors.
    by giving it only enough battery power for one use. Then I added the "walkie talkie" + Show Spoiler +
    You turn it on and find that it’s in perfect working condition! Then you feel silly because you only have one walkie talkie and no one to talk to.
    as semi-troll complementary item that doesn't actually work as communications, but its batteries could be taken out and used in the goggles.
    + Show Spoiler +
    Calix be like: what if no one takes the walkie talkie?
    I was like: just you wait, people love that kind of shit


  • ExO gets the walkie talkie, tries using it to no avail (feedback: only empty static)
    Meanwhile Alakaslam fails to get the walkie talkie, makes a big fuss in thread.

  • thermal goggles are in mafia possession (we expected them to hoard and never use it)
    So we add "dentures"+ Show Spoiler +
    You have some dentures!
    Surprisingly, they fit!
    to N2 feast, with hidden function as a passive receiver for the walkie talkie.

  • ExO got lynched D2 so when Grack picked up the dentures they did nothing.

  • On D3, Grack gets surplus items from feast leftovers and dead players for redistribution. He is also compelled to give away his own stuff. At EoD3/SoN3, walkie talkie goes to Alakaslam, dentures go to GB.

  • D4. Alakaslam tries to communicate with the hosts by walkie talkie, which is not what the walkie talkie was intended for. When his in-thread efforts fail, he goes to PMs. This happens:
    [image loading]
    GB responds to hosts by PM + Show Spoiler +
    I CAN HEAR YA!! I CAN!
    which has no effect

  • LS sends paper plane to disfo. Each player gets an RNG weather each day based on the weather forecast. LS rolled breeze on D4, so the message was diverted to Alakaslam instead.

  • Alakaslam assumes hosts are responding to his walkie talkie calls:
    [image loading]
    "Thank you based alien :D" occurs. Not clear if GB has picked up on "alien" linking the message to Alakaslam or not...

  • GB interprets the "intercepted message" as being from scum?LS to scum?disformation; accuses disformation

  • disformation mails the fission using the nuke that mafia!inventor Chez gave him.



Side note: + Show Spoiler +
crossbow (LS: no ammo) and small spear (btdt) were another pair of complementary items in N1. The flimsy little spear fell apart when btdt tried to stab someone with it, yielding a stupid little pointy stick -- which would have work as crossbow ammo.
Chezinu
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States7468 Posts
January 15 2017 06:18 GMT
#3422
That's an interesting read cakepie. Thanks for putting that together.

df, if you want to see me analyze a game trollishly sane. here is a link for you: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/mafia/509751-names-are-hard-mini-mafia?user=Chezinu
lol, clueless in The Prism!
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
January 15 2017 06:35 GMT
#3423
On January 15 2017 15:11 cakepie wrote:
Show nested quote +
The emergent gameplay is pretty nuts.

At some point in host chat I wrote something along the lines of

slam incorrectly thanks hosts via walkie talkie for the paperplane from LS to disfo getting blown off course by breeze, thus inadvertently radioing it to GB dentures

That was when we realized we had created a monster.


Gotta tell this story properly for those who didn't connect the dots / wouldn't go digging for it:
  • Calix & I were refining N1 feast item ideas. We crippled the "thermal goggles" + Show Spoiler +
    The battery seems to be running low… enough for one night’s use.
    As long as you still have battery power, you can target one player each night.
    You will spy on their house, and find out if they were visited by anyone.
    But you will not learn the identities of any visitors.
    by giving it only enough battery power for one use. Then I added the "walkie talkie" + Show Spoiler +
    You turn it on and find that it’s in perfect working condition! Then you feel silly because you only have one walkie talkie and no one to talk to.
    as semi-troll complementary item that doesn't actually work as communications, but its batteries could be taken out and used in the goggles.
    + Show Spoiler +
    Calix be like: what if no one takes the walkie talkie?
    I was like: just you wait, people love that kind of shit


  • ExO gets the walkie talkie, tries using it to no avail (feedback: only empty static)
    Meanwhile Alakaslam fails to get the walkie talkie, makes a big fuss in thread.

  • thermal goggles are in mafia possession (we expected them to hoard and never use it)
    So we add "dentures"+ Show Spoiler +
    You have some dentures!
    Surprisingly, they fit!
    to N2 feast, with hidden function as a passive receiver for the walkie talkie.

  • ExO got lynched D2 so when Grack picked up the dentures they did nothing.

  • On D3, Grack gets surplus items from feast leftovers and dead players for redistribution. He is also compelled to give away his own stuff. At EoD3/SoN3, walkie talkie goes to Alakaslam, dentures go to GB.

  • D4. Alakaslam tries to communicate with the hosts by walkie talkie, which is not what the walkie talkie was intended for. When his in-thread efforts fail, he goes to PMs. This happens:
    [image loading]
    GB is oblivious to the fact that it comes from Alakaslam, and responds to hosts PM + Show Spoiler +
    I CAN HEAR YA!! I CAN!


  • LS sends paper plane to disfo. Breeze diverts the message to Alakaslam instead.

  • Alakaslam assumes hosts are responding to his walkie talkie calls:
    [image loading]
    "Thank you based alien :D" occurs. Not clear if GB has picked up on "alien" linking the message to Alakaslam or not...

  • Stuff happens, disformation mails the fission using the nuke that mafia!inventor Chez gave him.



Side note: + Show Spoiler +
crossbow (LS: no ammo) and small spear (btdt) were another pair of complementary items in N1. The flimsy little spear fell apart when btdt tried to stab someone with it, yielding a stupid little pointy stick -- which would have work as crossbow ammo.

This is beautiful
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Tictock
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6052 Posts
January 15 2017 08:09 GMT
#3424
On January 15 2017 07:46 disformation wrote:
Yo the TT2 bus was super sick. Wiped off the suspicions I had completely.


Yea I had a hard time believeing BtDt bussed.

LS flipping should have tipped me off actually.

Seeing some of Cake's posts Host team deserves major props for this game.

I wish I had been able to put a bit more time into it. I was pretty determined to get that ring even after the fuckup. Though this distracted me from the game even more.

I had actually had an inclination to vote Chez last min but working during EoD made that pretty impossible.
I can take that responsibility.
disformation
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany8352 Posts
January 15 2017 11:08 GMT
#3425
On January 15 2017 17:09 Tictock wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 15 2017 07:46 disformation wrote:
Yo the TT2 bus was super sick. Wiped off the suspicions I had completely.


Yea I had a hard time believeing BtDt bussed.

LS flipping should have tipped me off actually.

Seeing some of Cake's posts Host team deserves major props for this game.

I wish I had been able to put a bit more time into it. I was pretty determined to get that ring even after the fuckup. Though this distracted me from the game even more.

I had actually had an inclination to vote Chez last min but working during EoD made that pretty impossible.

Yeah, the story of the message was great.
Huge props to the host team, the game was very well run and had some great ideas.
Chez had also like 2 no votes and two pretty meh votes, but also only realized after i was bad, that chez kinda looked worse than i thought he did while alive. prolly cause all the cool items he gave me.

Also can Chez be El Chezidente and Dr. Chez at the same time?
Artanis[Xp]
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Netherlands12973 Posts
January 15 2017 15:27 GMT
#3426
Thanks to all the hosts for putting all this effort in, especially calix and cakepie. I was mostly a lazy bum >>
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
January 15 2017 15:31 GMT
#3427
On January 15 2017 13:25 cakepie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 15 2017 06:32 Koshi wrote:
You people call it a bastard game but it was a really well balanced and fun game. The only bastard part was the obspolls that kinda made it a bit interesting. But town needed it.

I beg to differ, the Ouija polls were intended to be balanced around an even mix of

20% scum fabricated result
20% (live+dead) scum votes
30% dead town votes
10% obs votes
20% host votes (which we used for troll and anti-swing)

However, in practice:

In the first poll, scum team completely missed the fact that they had both a fabricated result to send as well as actual votes -- which should hint to them quite clearly that some kind of mixture of results is going to happen. So btdt only submitted a (poorly) manipulated 3,2,1,2,3 result and none of the scum voted.
The results turned out to be combination of
25% scum fabricated result
37.5% Koshi
12.5% HtS
25% hosts

In the second poll, scum team failed to send a fabricated result, and only chez sent in a vote. Also there was no obs participation, and deadchat just sheeped Koshi. The results were combination of
28.57% Chez
42.86% Koshi and co.
28.57% hosts

tl;dr:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2017 10:13 beentheredonethat wrote:
we even failed to manipulate the uija board.


Actual polling figures are here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_iy532vaAVXG73tdb9LfOzx1JA_gek1mGZjTrDbCZCA



Show nested quote +
On January 15 2017 06:32 Koshi wrote:
What I want to say it that due to saying it is a "bastard" game you did yourself short because it was in a way equal
to for example Palmar his game last time. That game was even way flashier.

That's what I said in #3389 -- we should not have promoted/sold this game as "bastard" -- it really wasn't, but we made a big deal out of it in pregame to grab attention. In hindsight this was not a good idea since it undermined the ability of players to reason about the game.


Well you exactly prove my initial point that this is not a bastard game and you hosted it beautifully . Even the unbalanced looking things were balanced.
I had a good night of sleep.
Onegu
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States9699 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-15 15:46:35
January 15 2017 15:45 GMT
#3428
Koshi went and got himself lynched day 1 or I would have been more involved in the cohosting...

And I think I would have pushed it more into bastard mode if Koshi stayed alive...
Try TL Mafia!!!
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
January 15 2017 16:40 GMT
#3429
lol
I had a good night of sleep.
Calix
Profile Joined August 2016
3379 Posts
January 15 2017 16:48 GMT
#3430
Nah, most of the initial planning was done over the pause when cakepie and I were writing up a storm in the Google docs about who gets what role, what mechanics we should put in, what quests suited what person, etc. That was pretty fun although I think my idea of how hosting works has been skewed by the game.

I guess people felt overwhelmed when the game restarted and you had around six different mechanics to understand.
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
January 15 2017 17:31 GMT
#3431
Oh and did anyone remember my hipster votes on TT2 that everyone wanted me to explain? Still want me to explain that?
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Tictock
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6052 Posts
January 15 2017 20:08 GMT
#3432
On January 16 2017 01:48 Calix wrote:
Nah, most of the initial planning was done over the pause when cakepie and I were writing up a storm in the Google docs about who gets what role, what mechanics we should put in, what quests suited what person, etc. That was pretty fun although I think my idea of how hosting works has been skewed by the game.

I guess people felt overwhelmed when the game restarted and you had around six different mechanics to understand.


Honestly I just think 3 days off is a bit much and really made the game feel disjointed to me.

Part of that may be the way I played this one though. Phone posts only, never opened a filter.

But yea adding more in a bunch of mechanics on top of that just compounds that issue.
I can take that responsibility.
disformation
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany8352 Posts
January 15 2017 20:11 GMT
#3433
On January 16 2017 01:48 Calix wrote:
Nah, most of the initial planning was done over the pause when cakepie and I were writing up a storm in the Google docs about who gets what role, what mechanics we should put in, what quests suited what person, etc. That was pretty fun although I think my idea of how hosting works has been skewed by the game.

I guess people felt overwhelmed when the game restarted and you had around six different mechanics to understand.

No times for mechanics, those walls and 38 pages of filter wont write themselves.

Goals for next game:
use brain not keyboard
On January 16 2017 02:31 Alakaslam wrote:
Oh and did anyone remember my hipster votes on TT2 that everyone wanted me to explain? Still want me to explain that?

Oh yes yes yes please!
disformation
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany8352 Posts
January 15 2017 21:23 GMT
#3434
On January 14 2017 10:52 LightningStrike wrote:
Also dis when you wake up: Why you decided to save me Day 3 by lynching Time Traveler?

Ah think I missed this.

I had a quest to make a wagon and have 3 ppl follow me on that. So since everyone was scumreading tt2 I was like "lets make a wagon on that guy". I think my plan was to lynch you and check into tt2/chez/slam.
But you posted something near EoD that made my gut tell me you are town yet again, so I was like "YOLO LETS LYNCH TT2 AND CHECK LS!"

Like you were calming down a bunch near EoD and posted some stuff that gave me real town vibes. I think it was this one:
On January 08 2017 08:31 LightningStrike wrote:
dis promise me you will lynch Grack after I get lynched please?



And I know. I posted stuff like that as scum before.
Was just. like dunno. Fak it. xD

should listen to my gut more often. xD
Rels
Profile Joined August 2008
France13467 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-01-19 09:15:51
January 19 2017 09:15 GMT
#3435
Prev 1 170 171 172
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 7265
Horang2 553
BeSt 469
Hyuk 453
Stork 161
sorry 116
Pusan 85
Killer 80
Shinee 78
Hyun 68
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 62
Bonyth 49
Snow 47
Mind 36
Bale 34
Hm[arnc] 32
JYJ 22
Sacsri 20
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe23
League of Legends
JimRising 493
Other Games
gofns28931
singsing2077
ArmadaUGS74
Mew2King71
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick685
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• Adnapsc2 22
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2299
League of Legends
• Lourlo1522
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1m
CranKy Ducklings19
INu's Battles
2h 1m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 1m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 1m
Replay Cast
13h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.