• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:34
CEST 06:34
KST 13:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7495 users

TL Mafia Behavior - Page 8

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Navillus
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1188 Posts
December 17 2013 04:19 GMT
#141
Re: the WotC discussion, I think a couple sensible solutions there would be that 1. Every person in the game can only vote for one person to be kept out and 2. Getting WotCed one game means you can't have it happen to you next game.

I know some people might think that's lenient but even if someone who acts terribly is only kept out of every other game that's still a lot more than right now, additionally I think if I was told every other game I signed up for that enough people didn't want to play with me that I'm not allowed in then I probably would really try to shape up in the games I am allowed in.
"TL gives excellent advice 99% of the time. The problem is no one listens to it." -Plexa
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 17 2013 04:19 GMT
#142
Many of the ideas being espoused here sincerely make me worry about the future of the game on this site.

I'm not sure the game HAS a future on this site without some drastic ideas
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 17 2013 04:20 GMT
#143
Bum's Analysis of Behavior Mafia I

This thread is getting a bit clogged and I don't see much progress from anyone towards a lynch candidate aside from darthpunk saying kush will probably get lynched. I don't take that to heart to much because darth's posts ave been on track.

thrawn has hardly been participating in the thread, and when he does, he really detracts from the importance of today.
On December 17 2013 11:48 thrawn2112 wrote:
everyone be chill, problem solved

On December 17 2013 12:06 thrawn2112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2013 12:01 Mocsta wrote:
On December 17 2013 11:56 Mig wrote:
Stop arguing about Cora's behavior, cora/others. This isn't the place for it. You are derailing the discussion.

I agree with this.

@Mig
What is the actual issue we are dealing with broken into its most raw state?

- Newbies not continuing past the newbies?
- Guests deciding not to join the newbies?
- Experienced players leaving?
- Something else?

I hear a lot of people saying, we need to do "this and that"
but I don't recall anyone saying because we need to achieve "this and that"

Where I am going with this is, how do you fix a problem if you have no understanding of the root cause.
And how do you ascertain the root cause if you do not understand what you are investigating.


it's the internet. making new behavior modification rules won't help anything. recidivism is real and new trolls sign up all the time

my earlier post wasn't a joke. i'm not sure that there actually is a problem that goes beyond a few people, or a few relationships, but if there is a problem it can only be solved by everyone chilling out. make as many rules as you want but you're still not dealing with the "core issue" you asked about. that's nothing you can solve, all you can do is make sure you are chill and hope that others follow


This is not conducive to finding scum. We really don't have alot of means aside from "rule-making", so it's slgithly pessimistic to downplay that aspect. His use of the word 'chill' multiple times counteracts his scuminess IMO, but I'd keep an eye on this guy.

On December 17 2013 12:23 kitaman27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2013 11:53 bumatlarge wrote:
Bahahahahahahahahahaaha the coagulation temp ban in the thread about improving behavior. Why can't I stop laughing at this.


Show nested quote +
On December 17 2013 07:22 kitaman27 wrote:
On December 17 2013 07:08 GMarshal wrote:
One solution I've been toying with is simply reinforcing moderation in this forum, in the form of actually giving out tl bans on top of banlist bans for behavior, and enforcing the behavior rules outlined in the commandments.


Would hosts still have the final say on modkills or would we potentially run into the issue of a stray Banling enforcing these behavioral rules by handing out a temp ban during an ongoing game?


Little did I expect that this would happen only hours later XD


This is a very nice catch, and maybe we can figure out who killed coagulation? He kept posting afterwards, but it would take a bit for the action to go through, so that makes me very suspicious of the people active at that time. We can't speculate too hard on this though. Kita is probably town though.

Until we find someone worse, I think thrawn is our best bet today.

##Vote thrawn2112
Together but separate, like oatmeal
DarthPunk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia10859 Posts
December 17 2013 04:20 GMT
#144
Here is what I think, I mentioned this to Wave in PM already.

Modkill people who are being Toxic after a warning in thread and then a warning via PM.

Basic penalty is 3 game ban for Toxicity related modkills. All other bans/warnings stay as current.

Repeat offenders get 6 month semi perm from all TL mafia games.

If there is a disagreement then that is discussed freely in then Banlist thread.

Host get's final say unless GMarshal overrules.

Really simple and I think would this solve a lot of the problems due to toxic behaviour.


"If I wanted your opinion, I'd have told you what it was."
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 17 2013 04:23 GMT
#145
Scratch that, there is no way that corazon can be town with posts like this.

On December 17 2013 11:47 Corazon wrote:
This discussion isn't going to go anywhere. It's just going to go back into how I'm such a big problem and how I'm such an asshole and I'm the only problem in this subforum when you all need to open your eyes.


##Unvote
##Vote Corazon
Together but separate, like oatmeal
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 17 2013 04:24 GMT
#146
In fact, I'm super confident in my read.

##Shoot: Corazon
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 17 2013 04:25 GMT
#147
On December 17 2013 13:23 bumatlarge wrote:
Scratch that, there is no way that corazon can be town with posts like this.

Show nested quote +
On December 17 2013 11:47 Corazon wrote:
This discussion isn't going to go anywhere. It's just going to go back into how I'm such a big problem and how I'm such an asshole and I'm the only problem in this subforum when you all need to open your eyes.


##Unvote
##Vote Corazon

I appreciate you're having some fun but this thread is srs business.
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 17 2013 04:27 GMT
#148
Corazon the Town Paranoid Gun Owner has been killed!

bumatlarge the Mafia Day Vigilante has been killed

All Mafia have been eliminated! Town wins!
Together but separate, like oatmeal
AxleGreaser
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia1154 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-17 04:51:33
December 17 2013 04:28 GMT
#149
On December 17 2013 07:52 Risen wrote:
If global moderation became I think it would deter me. If hosts were stricter (as long as they were clear so maybe update the OPs) with enforcing madness it would not.


I will be making a longer Axle post but this is important, as outside most pans there is a fire.
There are many more ways to do this stuff wrong than right.

A problem, with non mafia players, deciding on what is in and out, is that the game is inherently adversarial.

*I* believe I can play mafia inside the usual TL posting guidelines, I am not sure (indeed probably the opposite) that the game would then be fun for quite number of people as it would be very dry, sober, clinical, ...
I believe mafia is best moderated by people who have played, I suspect its even best if its played by people who played recently as its easy to go all ivory tower on how it ought be played.

My personal rules, for what i would allow as a host seem to be settling down

Rule 0: The contention in post needs to be about the game.

Exception 0: its social interactive game not every post is on topic, some of it will be banter.

Consider a recent post that did get (as a final straw?) the player modkilled

"You are basing a scumread off a joke I made you " derogatory epithet

While I don't dispute that mod kill case at all.

This post has actual game content, providing the epithet was not beyond the pale it is an invective that adds this meaning
"You are basing a scumread off a joke I made you, and i really mean it, your logic is badly flawed!" but in a more natural and less forced manner.

Now that is extreme, but the problem is there is considerable context to a mafia post, and posts that I suspect would get you banned elsewhere on the forum are a natural part of the game IMO, and dont really upset people. The discussion is adversarial people will make mistakes in individual posts but providing they get back to the game.

Perhaps its like the pool table, or the dad rule, where you must keep one foot on the ground at all times while in my daughters bedroom or addressing the ball.



(changing hats)
I could well be wrong, I have not read enough games on 2p2, or seen how their dispute process operates in pratice enough to judge and be sure. (Oh look I just went wishy washy.)

##shoot Aquanim
he is obviously not playing.

Axle(OnlySomeTheoriesToAbsurdToBeConsidered)Greaser
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 17 2013 04:33 GMT
#150
Aquanim the Third Party Pooper has been killed!
Together but separate, like oatmeal
VayneAuthority
Profile Joined October 2012
United States8983 Posts
December 17 2013 04:33 GMT
#151
lol please don't try to defend that axle, it was way over the line (assuming im reading that correctly)

even if it was acceptable, there was already a warning and I let my frustration get the better of me.

i don't plan on playing anymore games and im sure people will be relieved to hear that.
I come in for the scraps
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 17 2013 04:34 GMT
#152
On December 17 2013 13:33 VayneAuthority wrote:
lol please don't try to defend that axle, it was way over the line (assuming im reading that correctly)

even if it was acceptable, there was already a warning and I let my frustration get the better of me.

i don't plan on playing anymore games and im sure people will be relieved to hear that.


Together but separate, like oatmeal
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
December 17 2013 04:39 GMT
#153
On December 11 2013 05:01 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2013 03:34 Mid or Feed wrote:
On December 11 2013 03:09 Kurumi wrote:
On December 11 2013 03:06 Blazinghand wrote:
On December 11 2013 03:02 Kurumi wrote:
Just make people play for their wincon once again.


hey, hey, settle down buddy, let's not get too crazy with these new ideas here

I am just repeating what BC said, because the discussion drifted on the spam topic, while you can't beat spam in any meaningful way besides making people to play how they should, instead of introducing arbitrary rules.

And how exactly do you 'make' people play how they should?


Anyone caught actively playing against their win con is auto modkilled / banned. Obviously this is going to be subjective to the mods but seriously. Watching people go into a game and troll to shit while not posting anything meaningful is insanely frustrating.

This is coming from a guy who has watched players make justifications that townies are allowed to be "anti town". If anyone in the town is repeatedly "anti town" or however people want to justify it they die. A town members job is to get scum lynched and make it obvious that they are town and thus shouldnt be lynched. People if they join a game should be trying. There are other people who might or would have made better use of your slot if all your going to do is lurk. Don't have the time required to play in a game? don't join.


Seriously, spam isn't that much of an issue. Even skimming a thread you can spot posts that feel wrong and you can filter the player. Its incredibly easy to still play a game with a ton of spam. Is it frustrating to do? Yes, but its doable. No one wants to play with people who don't play to their win conditions.



Figured this is still applicable to the general situation.

As someone who's been here since the beginning of TL mafia basically I can say that aggressive behaviour/being an asshole never really kept people from playing the game. I say this as we were able to for a long time hold a fairly steady and strong group that played frequently. Did we let it go too far? possibly, however "attacks" are part of the game. You can use them to garner emotional responses which can prompt people to slip up.

If the posts are directed at the person and clearly not in any way shape or form game related or serve a game related purpose warn for it. Or ban.

However the biggest issue IMO is and has been for ages people not playing to win. I can point out more than one game in the last year of people spending more time being trolls/afks/dbags who don't play to win and join to be complete assholes/continue grudges from previous games. If people actively start playing to win and honestly trying to win the dynamic would change completely here.
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
Pandain
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States12989 Posts
December 17 2013 04:40 GMT
#154
I agree this conversation should be had so it is not had in future months
AxleGreaser
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia1154 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-17 16:08:13
December 17 2013 05:33 GMT
#155
On December 17 2013 13:33 VayneAuthority wrote:
lol please don't try to defend that axle, it was way over the line (assuming im reading that correctly)

even if it was acceptable, there was already a warning and I let my frustration get the better of me.

i don't plan on playing anymore games and im sure people will be relieved to hear that.


I am not defending your post in the game or the series of them at all. If I host game and that happens you would get mod killed for it.

I used it as an example because it was modkillable BUT
if the (omitted by me) words in literally JUST that post had been less strong
and the invective merely emphasised that drawing a scum read from a joke is a bad idea, then it is a play that I think maybe ought be allowed providing the rest of your play had been inside the lines.

It was good example because it was a post that I could suggest small changes in circumstance where it would still perhaps be bannable in a general TL thread but a proper part of mafia game on the same forum. It was hence case for why ban & mod kill decisions probably ought not be in non (former player)/host hands.

+ Show Spoiler +

Axle: Your original "joke", did even while I guessed it was bad joke and you were town, potentially materially aid the enemy and go against win con.
Skip: How?
Axle: games ongoing cant. L8r


Vayne: "im sure people will be relieved to hear that."
I don't mind if you go on playing at all. You can choose how to play and see if it works, if not adapt. If in the end you decide this, on this forum, is not a game you want to play that is good too. (I too make the same decision for me) If you wanted to play in game I hosted in the near future we would be having a PM discussion first.
As you are clearly aware (having I think played in other places) mafia is game that is played in different ways in different places. Here is one rather different place http://otakucentral.org/mafia-lair/7748-mafia-round-29-harou-n-14.html#post582892
I dont play there.

Axle(OnlySomeTheoriesToAbsurdToBeConsidered)Greaser
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
December 17 2013 05:37 GMT
#156
On December 17 2013 13:33 VayneAuthority wrote:
lol please don't try to defend that axle, it was way over the line (assuming im reading that correctly)

even if it was acceptable, there was already a warning and I let my frustration get the better of me.

i don't plan on playing anymore games and im sure people will be relieved to hear that.

Not me.
Slam needs his head slammed to not be lazy!
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Mocsta
Profile Joined December 2012
Australia9389 Posts
December 17 2013 05:44 GMT
#157
On December 17 2013 14:37 Alakaslam wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2013 13:33 VayneAuthority wrote:
lol please don't try to defend that axle, it was way over the line (assuming im reading that correctly)

even if it was acceptable, there was already a warning and I let my frustration get the better of me.

i don't plan on playing anymore games and im sure people will be relieved to hear that.

Not me.
Slam needs his head slammed to not be lazy!

WotC alert.
layabout
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom2600 Posts
December 17 2013 05:51 GMT
#158
lol

has it really gotten worse?
Be the Best You Can Be ! Play MAFIA II http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/mafia/ II Dragonsound Best Band
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
December 17 2013 05:53 GMT
#159
On December 17 2013 14:51 layabout wrote:
lol

has it really gotten worse?


I don't think any of the players you played with are any worse now than they were when we played together regularly.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
December 17 2013 05:59 GMT
#160
On December 17 2013 14:44 Mocsta wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2013 14:37 Alakaslam wrote:
On December 17 2013 13:33 VayneAuthority wrote:
lol please don't try to defend that axle, it was way over the line (assuming im reading that correctly)

even if it was acceptable, there was already a warning and I let my frustration get the better of me.

i don't plan on playing anymore games and im sure people will be relieved to hear that.

Not me.
Slam needs his head slammed to not be lazy!

WotC alert.

What is WotC?
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 208
ProTech128
Nina 73
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2093
Shuttle 991
Snow 100
Dewaltoss 63
Bale 40
Noble 38
Hm[arnc] 23
Icarus 4
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm157
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1131
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor595
Other Games
summit1g8426
JimRising 653
C9.Mang0314
PiGStarcraft307
Mew2King208
ArmadaUGS54
ViBE48
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 22
• Response 14
• Letter145
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2340
League of Legends
• Lourlo1078
• Rush777
• Stunt265
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 26m
OSC
17h 26m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.