• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:14
CEST 12:14
KST 19:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8021 users

XvP: do you have significant problems with PO?

Forum Index > Legacy of the Void
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
October 16 2015 02:41 GMT
#1
Pretty straight forward question, do you have problems dealing with Photon Overcharge? Not the kind of problems where you go "crap, I need to back off for 11 second or attack a different base" but the kind where you feel the game is one sided enough to actively complain about it?

I have no opinion and don't intend on forming said opinion until after LotV officially launches+at least 1 balance patch is implemented. I just want to know what the TL community feels about it.
EonuS
Profile Joined July 2010
Slovenia186 Posts
October 16 2015 02:47 GMT
#2
as zerg I personally have nothing against pylon overcharge except for the aggressive abuse; it forces a different mentality where I don't try to finish protoss off immediately because they have a much better defenders advantage now and rather win the war of attrition
redloser
Profile Joined May 2011
Korea (South)1751 Posts
October 16 2015 02:51 GMT
#3
Had it not been for the skytoss, I would have nothing against the PO. Now that carriers are nerfed, I guess I don't care much about that anymore.

But I heard the real problem with the PO is in the PvP matchup, so I don't know.
Beliskner
Profile Joined August 2015
111 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-16 03:16:15
October 16 2015 03:11 GMT
#4
On October 16 2015 11:51 redloser wrote:
But I heard the real problem with the PO is in the PvP matchup, so I don't know.


I've heard a few people been stating this, but have not actually heard any reason why. It seems like people are just regurgitating, because to me, logically it's actually the best change for PvP.

Simply because of the immortal and the adept. Pylon charge stopped the stupid adept vs adept where you simply shade into each other and kill as many probes, now you just PO your mineral line and the person who threw their adepts away is behind and usually gets punished by stalker pressure.

And with immortals it allows more 2 base attacks. Instead of nexus charge shutting you down 100%, you can push in if you have a higher immortal count and actually press your advantage(Immortals obviously kill pylons pretty fast, plus with the new shield tank a few shows), and getting pylon rushed getting an immortal out shuts it down pretty quick.

Pylon charge is better, it allows more variety and counter play than nexus charge. I've found the people vehemently against it, seem to want to just charge into a base without sniping the MC and are upset when they get shutdown.


And honestly I'm not seeing pylon rushes being that effective above silver/gold with a proper scout and response.
ROOTFayth
Profile Joined January 2004
Canada3351 Posts
October 16 2015 03:17 GMT
#5
I like where PO is at atm, doesn't cause problems PvP it feels, it allows for actual defender advantage, to me it feels like it makes the match up a bit less coinflippy
wjat
Profile Joined August 2015
385 Posts
October 16 2015 03:19 GMT
#6
It's too damn strong ><
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
October 16 2015 03:45 GMT
#7
On October 16 2015 12:11 Beliskner wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2015 11:51 redloser wrote:
But I heard the real problem with the PO is in the PvP matchup, so I don't know.


I've heard a few people been stating this, but have not actually heard any reason why. It seems like people are just regurgitating, because to me, logically it's actually the best change for PvP.

Simply because of the immortal and the adept. Pylon charge stopped the stupid adept vs adept where you simply shade into each other and kill as many probes, now you just PO your mineral line and the person who threw their adepts away is behind and usually gets punished by stalker pressure.

And with immortals it allows more 2 base attacks. Instead of nexus charge shutting you down 100%, you can push in if you have a higher immortal count and actually press your advantage(Immortals obviously kill pylons pretty fast, plus with the new shield tank a few shows), and getting pylon rushed getting an immortal out shuts it down pretty quick.

Pylon charge is better, it allows more variety and counter play than nexus charge. I've found the people vehemently against it, seem to want to just charge into a base without sniping the MC and are upset when they get shutdown.


And honestly I'm not seeing pylon rushes being that effective above silver/gold with a proper scout and response.


Interesting, I have a question for you regarding that since I'm a Protoss player.
In my PvP I frequently rush to chargelots to counter blink stalker and early robo play, PO in HotS does not stop the chargelots from winning the game what so ever.

Do you think the new PO would invalidate the 1 base 5 gate chargelot+whatever gas heavy units you decide to suppliment the chargelots with due to having more dps or would the short duration make it still semi viable vs non dark shrine openers?

Beliskner
Profile Joined August 2015
111 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-16 03:56:54
October 16 2015 03:56 GMT
#8
On October 16 2015 12:45 BabelFish1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2015 12:11 Beliskner wrote:
On October 16 2015 11:51 redloser wrote:
But I heard the real problem with the PO is in the PvP matchup, so I don't know.


I've heard a few people been stating this, but have not actually heard any reason why. It seems like people are just regurgitating, because to me, logically it's actually the best change for PvP.

Simply because of the immortal and the adept. Pylon charge stopped the stupid adept vs adept where you simply shade into each other and kill as many probes, now you just PO your mineral line and the person who threw their adepts away is behind and usually gets punished by stalker pressure.

And with immortals it allows more 2 base attacks. Instead of nexus charge shutting you down 100%, you can push in if you have a higher immortal count and actually press your advantage(Immortals obviously kill pylons pretty fast, plus with the new shield tank a few shows), and getting pylon rushed getting an immortal out shuts it down pretty quick.

Pylon charge is better, it allows more variety and counter play than nexus charge. I've found the people vehemently against it, seem to want to just charge into a base without sniping the MC and are upset when they get shutdown.


And honestly I'm not seeing pylon rushes being that effective above silver/gold with a proper scout and response.


Interesting, I have a question for you regarding that since I'm a Protoss player.
In my PvP I frequently rush to chargelots to counter blink stalker and early robo play, PO in HotS does not stop the chargelots from winning the game what so ever.

Do you think the new PO would invalidate the 1 base 5 gate chargelot+whatever gas heavy units you decide to suppliment the chargelots with due to having more dps or would the short duration make it still semi viable vs non dark shrine openers?



I don't think 1 base 5 gate chargelots is that great in either expansion you'll win because of bad responses from your opponent. But yes, Pylon charge will shut it down a bit harder because if they have a simcity you can't do much(With PO or not).
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
October 16 2015 04:34 GMT
#9
zerg player here

IMO 2 bases or less, attack to kill is just not an option. 3 bases ONLY if you are lucky, and keep stuff hidden and attack well. you have to watch like a HAWK to see if they are going to attack. try to contend the 4th and win on 5 bases or so.

It's basically the same plan I had in hots, but 1 more base for everyone. I used to contend the 3rd but that is usually laughable now.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
ScienceRob
Profile Joined April 2010
United States382 Posts
October 16 2015 12:48 GMT
#10
IMO it feels like an unfair defender's advantage compared to Terran's defender's advantage.
Carpe Diem
FLuE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1012 Posts
October 16 2015 12:55 GMT
#11
Seems to me it allows the toss to cut where they might have made cannons before.

It is really hard as a zerg to punish a greedy toss player if you see the opening. To the degree where on the map we were on instead of expanding away from me the player was actually expanding toward me basically leap frogging with pylons and quicker warp-ins using those gateways to wall off his pylons.

I don't think it is so much that it is so strong, but that it can be cast so many times in a row or on so many pylons.

I still contend that a pylon that is overcharged should lose it's power radius for any buildings it powers and any warp-ins associated. Now you could still have 2 pylons next to each other with one on overcharge and the other powering/warping in, but logically it seems to me that overcharge is taking the power of the pylon and turning it into an attack. Therefore there should be some tradeoff, and I think the power radius should go until it wears off. This wouldn't fix everything but at least it would mean that in early game you might have to build an extra pylon for defense or make the decision to lose building power in exchange for the damage.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 16 2015 12:59 GMT
#12
Gameplay wise i don't have problems against it, design wise i think it doesn't belong into the game though
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
October 17 2015 02:03 GMT
#13
On October 16 2015 12:56 Beliskner wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2015 12:45 BabelFish1 wrote:
On October 16 2015 12:11 Beliskner wrote:
On October 16 2015 11:51 redloser wrote:
But I heard the real problem with the PO is in the PvP matchup, so I don't know.


I've heard a few people been stating this, but have not actually heard any reason why. It seems like people are just regurgitating, because to me, logically it's actually the best change for PvP.

Simply because of the immortal and the adept. Pylon charge stopped the stupid adept vs adept where you simply shade into each other and kill as many probes, now you just PO your mineral line and the person who threw their adepts away is behind and usually gets punished by stalker pressure.

And with immortals it allows more 2 base attacks. Instead of nexus charge shutting you down 100%, you can push in if you have a higher immortal count and actually press your advantage(Immortals obviously kill pylons pretty fast, plus with the new shield tank a few shows), and getting pylon rushed getting an immortal out shuts it down pretty quick.

Pylon charge is better, it allows more variety and counter play than nexus charge. I've found the people vehemently against it, seem to want to just charge into a base without sniping the MC and are upset when they get shutdown.


And honestly I'm not seeing pylon rushes being that effective above silver/gold with a proper scout and response.


Interesting, I have a question for you regarding that since I'm a Protoss player.
In my PvP I frequently rush to chargelots to counter blink stalker and early robo play, PO in HotS does not stop the chargelots from winning the game what so ever.

Do you think the new PO would invalidate the 1 base 5 gate chargelot+whatever gas heavy units you decide to suppliment the chargelots with due to having more dps or would the short duration make it still semi viable vs non dark shrine openers?



I don't think 1 base 5 gate chargelots is that great in either expansion you'll win because of bad responses from your opponent. But yes, Pylon charge will shut it down a bit harder because if they have a simcity you can't do much(With PO or not).


Fast Chargelot Archon is actually a build for PvP. Typically it's done off of DTs though but that delays the Chargelot Archon timing. The Archon(s) destroy the FFs which can screw over the chargelots on the ramp going into the main.

But that's a tad bit off topic. Look it up on google if you're interested.
shin_toss
Profile Joined May 2010
Philippines2589 Posts
October 17 2015 02:29 GMT
#14
Carriers were nerfed so I guess it became okay for now
AKMU / IU
Pursuit_
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States1330 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 02:44:50
October 17 2015 02:44 GMT
#15
As a Terran player, I feel like it's really, really strong vs drops. Like, if you even start to drop anywhere near 3+ pylons, you can't even pick up and run because you'll lose 1-2 medivacs on the retreat. You pretty much just have to avoid dropping anywhere near pylons unless you know the MsC is elsewhere. Also pre-medivac stim timings that are normally used to keep protoss honest are shut down by 2-3 pylons at the front, since the DPS is so much higher.

But by far the biggest annoyance is that at 25 energy, it's worth it to cast it to kill a reaper. On most maps it's pretty much impossible to scout again between an adept and a pylon. Gotta scan and pray for the best
In Somnis Veritas
Garemie
Profile Joined April 2011
United States248 Posts
October 17 2015 06:27 GMT
#16
I really limits a lot of things. I really dislike it.
Bomber | CJ herO | Snute
DanceSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States751 Posts
October 17 2015 06:58 GMT
#17
I like it, I feel before it felt like protoss was forced to turtle until they had a deathball, now they have the option to move out mid game. Makes pylon placement more important. I felt like terran drops were way to strong before and now protoss have a way of dealing with them that doesn't leave them behind on the fast expanding game.
Dance.943 || "I think he's just going to lose. There's only so many ways you can lose. And he's going to make some kind of units. And I'm going to attack him, and then all his stuff is going to die. That's about the best prediction that I can make" - NonY
WGT-Baal
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
France3560 Posts
October 17 2015 07:41 GMT
#18
On October 16 2015 21:55 FLuE wrote:
Seems to me it allows the toss to cut where they might have made cannons before.

It is really hard as a zerg to punish a greedy toss player if you see the opening. To the degree where on the map we were on instead of expanding away from me the player was actually expanding toward me basically leap frogging with pylons and quicker warp-ins using those gateways to wall off his pylons.

I don't think it is so much that it is so strong, but that it can be cast so many times in a row or on so many pylons.

I still contend that a pylon that is overcharged should lose it's power radius for any buildings it powers and any warp-ins associated. Now you could still have 2 pylons next to each other with one on overcharge and the other powering/warping in, but logically it seems to me that overcharge is taking the power of the pylon and turning it into an attack. Therefore there should be some tradeoff, and I think the power radius should go until it wears off. This wouldn't fix everything but at least it would mean that in early game you might have to build an extra pylon for defense or make the decision to lose building power in exchange for the damage.


Zerg player here too, pkaying random in the beta. I agree with your point. Your proposition is excellent too (damage or power building but not both)
Horang2 fan
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 09:05:32
October 17 2015 09:05 GMT
#19
On October 16 2015 21:59 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Gameplay wise i don't have problems against it, design wise i think it doesn't belong into the game though

My thoughts exactly.
It might be balanced, but it certainly doesnt feel right.
Thezzy
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands2117 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 11:00:22
October 17 2015 10:58 GMT
#20
My only issue is that it feels like an unneeded safety net in TvP.
Protoss can border-line hide behind it whilst doing pressure and with only 25 energy and the possibility of Recall, the MSC can be out and about with an army, do damage and then come home and use PO with the remaining energy in case of a counter-attack. At the same time, warp-ins and cannons that detect and shoot both air and ground are also still present for defense.

In HotS the one thing that annoyed me a lot in TvP were builds like proxy Oracle into a quick third (sometimes on the gold).
The threat of Oracles meant at least an Engineering Bay + Turret would be needed if I wanted to move out.
That in itself was fine but Protoss could just easily hide behind his/her Nexus with just an Oracle, a Sentry or two and the MSC and there was nothing I could really do to put pressure back with what little Bio I could bring out at that point.

Imagine if I could go for a no-cloak Banshee with twice the damage and speed and then hide behind a bunch of temporary PFs that can shoot air if it goes south and the Banshee can detect stealth as well.

The shorter range of PO does make it a little trickier for Protoss but I'm honestly still wondering WHY they need it when they already have such strong and versatile defensive options with warp-ins (that can warp-in what you need), photon cannons and Recall.

Primary it's just less fun because it feels (against just an opinion) that Protoss can get away with so much whilst having so little to defend themselves with.

It's always brought up that PO was brought in for PvP (I'm guessing to end the 4g vs 4g era?) but I still think that making TvP and ZvP less fun to play just to improve a mirror matchup wasn't a good call.

I mean honestly, what TvP early game has not been a Reaper opening since HotS came out?
Versus either one of the three aggressive openings (Oracle, DT or Blink) or a fast expand?
Like 95% of the TvPs I've seen and played were that. Compare that to the various openings in TvZ and TvT.

Without PO there would at least be a need to get some units out, Cloaked Banshees would become a threat again (now they're suicidal if Protoss opened Oracles) and Protoss could not play as greedy with as few units as they can right now.

Maybe I'm overstating things a bit, but the early game of TvP feels extremely stale.
Playing Terran is like flying down a MULE drop in a marine suit, firing a Gauss Rifle
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 8457
StarCastTV_EN167
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings38
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 4868
Jaedong 1894
EffOrt 1434
actioN 918
BeSt 544
Soma 449
Horang2 435
Killer 405
Pusan 276
ZerO 227
[ Show more ]
Stork 163
Zeus 128
soO 89
Rush 81
HiyA 65
Shinee 36
Mong 31
ToSsGirL 30
JYJ 30
Bale 27
Sharp 21
NaDa 20
sorry 17
Sexy 17
Terrorterran 15
JulyZerg 10
Noble 9
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc2841
XaKoH 363
Counter-Strike
edward67
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes953
WinterStarcraft816
Other Games
gofns46311
singsing1308
olofmeister998
ceh9549
Livibee192
Pyrionflax156
byalli141
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick537
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream412
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 118
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• StrangeGG 44
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2270
League of Legends
• Jankos1808
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 47m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.