• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:17
CEST 07:17
KST 14:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7396 users

Automated Tournaments Coming to Beta - Page 7

Forum Index > Legacy of the Void
134 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
GaNgStaRR.ElV
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada535 Posts
August 23 2015 14:08 GMT
#121
On August 22 2015 03:03 Naracs_Duc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2015 02:49 Cyro wrote:
On August 22 2015 00:49 Roblin wrote:
On August 21 2015 18:01 Cyro wrote:
If the game reaches the 25-minute limit, victory will be awarded to the player who has the highest experience point value


bad system

I haven't tried it but please elaborate, how and why is it a bad system?

I can see that it definitely isn't ideal, but there has to be some way to enforce the 25 minute time limit, so what would you suggest?

the argument I've seen against this system is it promotes using the most efficient possible strategy, which often means the most turtley one.

the counter -argument I have seen to that is if the enemy turtles then you can just grab the entire map and never attack, thereby winning because you have mined thousands of points worth of resources more.

I have not seen this effect in action nor have I tried it, so I don't actually know if either of these arguments are true, but I would very much like to see a constructive argument be made around it.


Winning based on an arbitrary exp point system (that wasn't designed for it) if neither player is 100% eliminated just has the potential to skew the games into being about something other than beating your opponent like you would in a real game/tournament


Would you prefer draws? Which would encourage running around the map building pylons/extractors/depots
Would you prefer a specific building/unit/supply count? Which would amount to the same thing as points but doesn't take into account efficiently trading units.

What system do you think is most fair as a tie breaker?



I don't think a "tie-breaker" is right to consider it a proper tournament. 35 minutes of game-time in HOTS, i played plenty of games on ladder longer than that.

To be fair I'm not going to hate on it too much until I try it but I do think you will see some silly complaints about players who were clearly winning but who lost on XP, because god knows that the points stat at the end of the game has never truly been relevant to what happened in the game. I've lost many of games where I'm higher in points or won when i'm lower because points don't matter if you make a mistake that costs you the game.
Caihead
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada8550 Posts
August 23 2015 15:15 GMT
#122
On August 22 2015 03:21 Cyro wrote:
I can't think of a great one (at least not without a ton of effort) but the game length seems a bit too short. If it was longer, it would be more ok to win based on an imperfect system


Add 5 minutes onto a match and a 3/6-round Bo1 might take 15/30 minutes longer to complete and it only goes up from there. I don't think you can reasonably expect casual players to stick around for that long with out dropping out.
"If you're not living in the US or are a US Citizen, please do not tell us how to vote or how you want our country to be governed." - Serpest, American Hero
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
August 23 2015 15:51 GMT
#123
On August 24 2015 00:15 Caihead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2015 03:21 Cyro wrote:
I can't think of a great one (at least not without a ton of effort) but the game length seems a bit too short. If it was longer, it would be more ok to win based on an imperfect system


Add 5 minutes onto a match and a 3/6-round Bo1 might take 15/30 minutes longer to complete and it only goes up from there. I don't think you can reasonably expect casual players to stick around for that long with out dropping out.

There is a little button to the bottom left, if everyone clicks Ready it skips that 15~30min waiting process.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Naracs_Duc
Profile Joined August 2015
746 Posts
August 24 2015 16:51 GMT
#124
On August 23 2015 23:08 GaNgStaRR.ElV wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2015 03:03 Naracs_Duc wrote:
On August 22 2015 02:49 Cyro wrote:
On August 22 2015 00:49 Roblin wrote:
On August 21 2015 18:01 Cyro wrote:
If the game reaches the 25-minute limit, victory will be awarded to the player who has the highest experience point value


bad system

I haven't tried it but please elaborate, how and why is it a bad system?

I can see that it definitely isn't ideal, but there has to be some way to enforce the 25 minute time limit, so what would you suggest?

the argument I've seen against this system is it promotes using the most efficient possible strategy, which often means the most turtley one.

the counter -argument I have seen to that is if the enemy turtles then you can just grab the entire map and never attack, thereby winning because you have mined thousands of points worth of resources more.

I have not seen this effect in action nor have I tried it, so I don't actually know if either of these arguments are true, but I would very much like to see a constructive argument be made around it.


Winning based on an arbitrary exp point system (that wasn't designed for it) if neither player is 100% eliminated just has the potential to skew the games into being about something other than beating your opponent like you would in a real game/tournament


Would you prefer draws? Which would encourage running around the map building pylons/extractors/depots
Would you prefer a specific building/unit/supply count? Which would amount to the same thing as points but doesn't take into account efficiently trading units.

What system do you think is most fair as a tie breaker?



I don't think a "tie-breaker" is right to consider it a proper tournament. 35 minutes of game-time in HOTS, i played plenty of games on ladder longer than that.

To be fair I'm not going to hate on it too much until I try it but I do think you will see some silly complaints about players who were clearly winning but who lost on XP, because god knows that the points stat at the end of the game has never truly been relevant to what happened in the game. I've lost many of games where I'm higher in points or won when i'm lower because points don't matter if you make a mistake that costs you the game.


It is arbitrary which one it is. So long as draws aren't allowed it will be fine--because it would such for terran to float everywhere and you get a draw while waiting for your flyers to build. Or to get a draw because your protoss opponent spread all 60 probes around the map to make pylons at the 23 minute mark.

Points, supply count, building count, whatever the scoring system (or lack thereof) is fine so long as they don't do draws. It will create a weird metagame where being more aggressive and having a bigger economy will be helpful.
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
August 24 2015 22:45 GMT
#125
Thank you Blizzard entertainment!
"not enough rights"
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
August 24 2015 22:50 GMT
#126
On August 25 2015 01:51 Naracs_Duc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 23 2015 23:08 GaNgStaRR.ElV wrote:
On August 22 2015 03:03 Naracs_Duc wrote:
On August 22 2015 02:49 Cyro wrote:
On August 22 2015 00:49 Roblin wrote:
On August 21 2015 18:01 Cyro wrote:
If the game reaches the 25-minute limit, victory will be awarded to the player who has the highest experience point value


bad system

I haven't tried it but please elaborate, how and why is it a bad system?

I can see that it definitely isn't ideal, but there has to be some way to enforce the 25 minute time limit, so what would you suggest?

the argument I've seen against this system is it promotes using the most efficient possible strategy, which often means the most turtley one.

the counter -argument I have seen to that is if the enemy turtles then you can just grab the entire map and never attack, thereby winning because you have mined thousands of points worth of resources more.

I have not seen this effect in action nor have I tried it, so I don't actually know if either of these arguments are true, but I would very much like to see a constructive argument be made around it.


Winning based on an arbitrary exp point system (that wasn't designed for it) if neither player is 100% eliminated just has the potential to skew the games into being about something other than beating your opponent like you would in a real game/tournament


Would you prefer draws? Which would encourage running around the map building pylons/extractors/depots
Would you prefer a specific building/unit/supply count? Which would amount to the same thing as points but doesn't take into account efficiently trading units.

What system do you think is most fair as a tie breaker?



I don't think a "tie-breaker" is right to consider it a proper tournament. 35 minutes of game-time in HOTS, i played plenty of games on ladder longer than that.

To be fair I'm not going to hate on it too much until I try it but I do think you will see some silly complaints about players who were clearly winning but who lost on XP, because god knows that the points stat at the end of the game has never truly been relevant to what happened in the game. I've lost many of games where I'm higher in points or won when i'm lower because points don't matter if you make a mistake that costs you the game.


It is arbitrary which one it is. So long as draws aren't allowed it will be fine--because it would such for terran to float everywhere and you get a draw while waiting for your flyers to build. Or to get a draw because your protoss opponent spread all 60 probes around the map to make pylons at the 23 minute mark.

Points, supply count, building count, whatever the scoring system (or lack thereof) is fine so long as they don't do draws. It will create a weird metagame where being more aggressive and having a bigger economy will be helpful.

The reason of the time limit is to keep the tournaments short. Allowing draws beats that purpose, so I don't think they would do that.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
August 24 2015 22:52 GMT
#127
Just won my 2nd GM league tournament =)
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Dumbledore
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden725 Posts
August 26 2015 17:48 GMT
#128
Imo instead of XP it should be a balance between current income and supply that determines winner
Have a nice day ;)
Naracs_Duc
Profile Joined August 2015
746 Posts
August 26 2015 19:26 GMT
#129
On August 27 2015 02:48 Dumbledore wrote:
Imo instead of XP it should be a balance between current income and supply that determines winner


How would that work?

Higher supply =/= higher income
Higher income =/= higher supply

Does higher income give more points than higher supply?
Does higher supply give more points than higher income?

What if the game ends when one player's workers are returning resources but the other player's workers had already returned it?

What if you win the fight when time is called, but your opponent had overmade workers so they still had more supply than your 10 marines left over?

What if zerg instamax on roaches and drones in the last 2 minutes of the game to instantly win the supply/income count?

DeadByDawn
Profile Joined October 2012
United Kingdom476 Posts
August 26 2015 21:07 GMT
#130
When someone plays an automated tournament (which is a cool feature) I guess that there is no way to watch it apart from if one of the players is streaming?
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
August 28 2015 07:39 GMT
#131
Has anyone experienced issues with the points = win system?
I'd even be curious if anyone has noticed ladder games where they've won despite having a lower score?
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
August 28 2015 16:36 GMT
#132
On August 28 2015 16:39 y0su wrote:
Has anyone experienced issues with the points = win system?
I'd even be curious if anyone has noticed ladder games where they've won despite having a lower score?


It's not points points, it's experience points. You know, the little XP numbers that appear when you build something or destroy something. It keeps a running total of that for both players and the higher XP value for that game is the winner if the time limit is hit.
Moderator
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
August 28 2015 17:02 GMT
#133
On August 29 2015 01:36 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2015 16:39 y0su wrote:
Has anyone experienced issues with the points = win system?
I'd even be curious if anyone has noticed ladder games where they've won despite having a lower score?


It's not points points, it's experience points. You know, the little XP numbers that appear when you build something or destroy something. It keeps a running total of that for both players and the higher XP value for that game is the winner if the time limit is hit.

I always thought they were the same thing - whatever was used to calculate "points" was just converted to "XP" for leveling. How different are they?
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 08 2015 18:29 GMT
#134
I still don't quite understand why these tournaments are scheduled at certain times tbh.
Why not just let players sign up and as soon as there are enough players start it?
I bet there would be a lot of interest in playing tournaments pretty much all the time, but i probably will NEVER play one if i have to be online at a specific time
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
blooblooblahblah
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4163 Posts
October 08 2015 22:26 GMT
#135
On August 22 2015 03:21 Cyro wrote:
I can't think of a great one (at least not without a ton of effort) but the game length seems a bit too short. If it was longer, it would be more ok to win based on an imperfect system


I think it's good enough tbh. Tournaments are ready painful enough as it is cos most of the time as it is, you have to wait the full duration before the next round. During the weekend tournaments, it gets so bad that you can be waiting hours in total, especially if you skip round 3. Games in LotV don't tend to even reach that game length, most people get there their matches done really quicker, and then go play ladder games and delay the entire tournament.

I don't know what they can do to make these tournaments less painful, but lengthening the game length would be the worst thing they could do.
Ganzi beat me without stim. Ostojiy beat me with a nydus. Siphonn beat me with probes. Revival beat my sentry-immortal all-in.
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 113
Nina 111
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2206
HiyA 276
Mong 125
Shinee 76
sorry 31
Noble 17
NotJumperer 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1315
NeuroSwarm180
League of Legends
JimRising 670
Reynor47
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft614
Other Games
summit1g7426
Coldzera 743
C9.Mang0336
PiGStarcraft217
RuFF_SC234
ArmadaUGS25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick710
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream390
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2149
League of Legends
• Rush1531
• Lourlo1334
• Stunt313
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
4h 44m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
18h 44m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 5h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.