• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:28
CEST 16:28
KST 23:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9276 users

[Podcast] 25 Minutes To Surrender - Page 2

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
judytuna
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 03:25:02
January 20 2011 02:57 GMT
#21
I changed the episode description to show that we're not talking about true Bravery. =)

hahaha. No, I actually understand the frustration of watching people not directly involved with your favorite sub-community taking an idea and running with it/bastardizing it/making it their own without paying proper homage or even knowing its origin. But that's like all memes in general, sort of. And that's sort of the sign of a healthy gaming community at large, though, isn't it? Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and so on and so forth. However, in this age of free-flowing thoughts and ideas, it's still very important to give credit where credit is DUE, and it's definitely due to TL for starting the whole thing, so I will rectify that next week. But you guys should be proud for coming up with the seed of a whole new movement and all the variants that have sprouted up thereafter, too.

@AmishNinja: A difference between you and me is that you (and day9) appear to have prescriptivist leanings, whereas my leanings tend to be in a more descriptivist direction. (I'm a fan of the Language Log, which has a lot (a loooot) to say about linguistic peeving hahaha).

Thanks for letting me know about the gripe against metagame, though, because clearly I am not informed and hadn't heard of the gripe yet. Sadly, I perceive that it may be difficult to convince everybody to drop the term when they actually mean "what happens when players understand mechanics and begin to counter strategies on a more abstract level", because... I agree with the linguists that say a word means what a lot of people use it to mean; that say a word's meaning has the capacity to change over time. Of course this doesn't mean that if I say "I want the word "pineapple" to mean "stomachache" now" that suddenly that word will actually mean "pain in my stomach," but if it turns into some kind of inside joke among my friends and we all start using the word that way, one can make the argument that the word has become useful in conveying the message. I think in general it's because I'm not married to the letters of the word itself, but rather the meaning that saying the word conveys--what it represents for a large portion of the community using it--what they see in their minds when they hear it used (albeit incorrectly by original standards).

DISCLAIMER: I don't actually have a degree in linguistics, so I can't claim competency in the subject, but I hear a lot of about linguistics from my dear friends who are getting their PhDs in it. So I reserve the right to have represented any of this slightly incorrectly. =( ANYWAY......

tl:dr: I AM SORRY YOU GUYS D:


Edit: from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming
Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself.

In simple terms, using out-of-game information, or resources, to affect one's in-game decisions.

(emphasis mine)

There is a special set of moves in chess which allows a player to win in four moves. Competitor A has been watching Competitor B play chess, and the past five games in a row Competitor B has attempted to use this four-move win. When Competitor A sits down to play against Competitor B, Competitor A will be metagaming if he/she plays in a way that will easily thwart the four-move checkmate before Competitor B makes it obvious that this is what he/she is doing.


So if that is metagaming, how about this example (WARNING I SUCK AT LOL but my other team members and certainly our illustrious guests do not suck at LoL, so don't judge the podcast too harshly based on me):

- My playgroup understands that everybody always goes 1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, and 1 jungler. Before we even queue for a game, someone in my group decides that they're going to pick a counter-jungler to kill the jungler of the other team that we are assuming they will have, to stop it from getting buffs and experience. We are using information from outside the current actual game to influence our ingame decisions.

Also, I assume that people talking about popular strategies and how to counter them before the game even starts (or at least be prepared to face them / counter them before the game starts, like fearing a 6pool on Steppes of War) is part of "the game universe outside of the game itself" right?

To make it so that I better understand (I'm asking honestly, not just trolling), can you give me an example of something that's NOT "metagame" but everybody calls "metagaming" ? Or perhaps I should just STFU and go watch Day9 talking about it. Maybe that would be the best for everyone, most of all myself. lol
it's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange. -takeshi kaga
Abenson
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada4122 Posts
January 20 2011 03:05 GMT
#22
O_O
No need to get upset...
I, for one, don't mind that much (as long as you will mention it at a later date)
Anyways, it's a really great show, and I really love listening to it!
I think this is the BEST LoL-related podcast on the web, by far.

Good job, and keep up the good work :D
By the way, can you get people like bigfatjiji and HSGG etc. on CLG to talk about their tournament experiences? I would also really love it if you can start a sort of "learn to play better tips" section too :D
judytuna
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 03:24:45
January 20 2011 03:20 GMT
#23
Haha, thank you Abenson. I'm glad you're around. I'm not actually upset, but I am very excitable in general. I think this is really funny to talk about, but on 2nd reading, it's hard to see that I'm just having fun in plain old text. I will revise my post so that it is not too manic. I also haven't been sleeping X_X My forum personality needs some careful grooming, lol.

And thank you for the suggestions. <3 TL.
it's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange. -takeshi kaga
Phrost
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States4008 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 03:51:55
January 20 2011 03:51 GMT
#24
Lol I'm gonna listen to a few episodes, seems pretty cool so far.
iamphrost.tumblr.com // http://howtobebettermagicplayer.tumblr.com // twitter @phrost_
locodoco
Profile Joined July 2010
Korea (South)1615 Posts
January 20 2011 05:05 GMT
#25
can i be a guest plz?
i wish riot would give me better ping
AmishNinja
Profile Joined January 2011
United States10 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 05:18:33
January 20 2011 05:15 GMT
#26
On January 20 2011 11:57 judytuna wrote:
@AmishNinja: A difference between you and me is that you (and day9) appear to have prescriptivist leanings, whereas my leanings tend to be in a more descriptivist direction. (I'm a fan of the Language Log, which has a lot (a loooot) to say about linguistic peeving hahaha).


Thanks for the response.

I wondered if the descriptivist point of view would come up over this. It seems to be a popular topic these days. Anyway, while I'm usually the kind of guy who is annoyed by grammatical errors, I definitely understand the idea that a word's meaning can change over time. My problem with these cases, and maybe on some level I'm being a little contradictory, is that it's based on a mistake that gets propagated very quickly (internet, heyoooo) and causes confusion for those who use that kind of terminology in its original form.

I mean, sure, I *get* what the podcasters mean when they say certain things even if the words are "misused", but I am sometimes wary of the slippery slope involved with being descriptivist; How much of it is legitimate acceptance of the alteration of the meaning of words and how much is willful ignorance? I guess my thought overall is: if it's a gradual change in language over time, it seems more natural as opposed to an abrupt change. There are plenty of cases of gradual language changes occurring in English over past centuries and even decades.

Sorry for excessive use of big words. I promise I didn't break out the thesaurus.

TL;DR: WORDS BAD, HULK SMASH or something

On January 20 2011 11:57 judytuna wrote:
So if that is metagaming, how about this example (WARNING I SUCK AT LOL but my other team members and certainly our illustrious guests do not suck at LoL, so don't judge the podcast too harshly based on me):

- My playgroup understands that everybody always goes 1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, and 1 jungler. Before we even queue for a game, someone in my group decides that they're going to pick a counter-jungler to kill the jungler of the other team that we are assuming they will have, to stop it from getting buffs and experience. We are using information from outside the current actual game to influence our ingame decisions.


Yeah, that's a good example of a metagame decision in response to the most common LoL strategy. Another good one would be more personal, like "I know TreeEskimo always does X with Y character, so I'm gonna do Z in anticipation of this". Pretty straightforward.

On January 20 2011 11:57 judytuna wrote:
Also, I assume that people talking about popular strategies and how to counter them before the game even starts (or at least be prepared to face them / counter them before the game starts, like fearing a 6pool on Steppes of War) is part of "the game universe outside of the game itself" right?


Yeah, somewhat although it's still part of the game; 6 pooling is just another move in the repertoire of an sc gamer so it's good to know of the possibility. Since you don't know the habit of a random ladder player, it's hard to apply 'metagame' to this situation. But since it's steppes I suppose you could say, "well since 80% of all zergs 6 pool on steppes of war I'm gonna be ready for it without even having scouted to confirm" and that would be metagaming. Looks like that's what you were going for.

On January 20 2011 11:57 judytuna wrote:
To make it so that I better understand (I'm asking honestly, not just trolling), can you give me an example of something that's NOT "metagame" but everybody calls "metagaming" ? Or perhaps I should just STFU and go watch Day9 talking about it. Maybe that would be the best for everyone, most of all myself. lol


ALL PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH ME ARE TROLLING. GRRRR.

nah it's cool uhhhh let's see, an example... I might misquote someone here or take words out of context so if I do that then I apologize for being a big jerk, but I think in the podcast somebody said something to the effect of, "how do you think blitzcrank is in the current metagame? do you think he stacks up?" and started to talk about his merits early game, mid game, late game, etc - that's not metagame. that's all within the scope of the game itself.

honestly that's the big one I see/hear the most, are questions/statements about "how viable champion X is in the current metagame".
Dgiese
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2687 Posts
January 20 2011 15:11 GMT
#27
Even though it has nothing to do with LoL, I'm glad to see a prescriptive Vs descriptive debate on the forums. Was one of my favourite topics in undergrad, and is great fun for discussing on the internet.
0123456789
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States3216 Posts
January 20 2011 17:50 GMT
#28
Will the name of this podcast change if they lower surrender times?
Xemnes_BW
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States24 Posts
January 26 2011 02:10 GMT
#29
Hey everyone the Stream is about to start go here.
http://www.own3d.tv/live/2317
Listen to the stream live and watch Judy set up lol.
Also ask Roku questions during the show.
dnastyx
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2707 Posts
January 26 2011 02:32 GMT
#30
So I heard Loco is going to be interviewed...
judytuna
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-26 16:09:05
January 26 2011 03:30 GMT
#31
@dnastyx yes, we're gonna have him on soon. I'll edit this post as soon as I can when I know the date.

@0123456789 .... we probably won't change the name of the podcast, but we will QQ a lot. lol

Talking to Roku has been super-fun. TYVM for posting Xemnes_BW <3 <3

Edited to add: you can see today's shenanigans on own3d.tv here. I fail pretty hard, we all troll jamal (especially roku), and roku receives multiple marriage proposals. It's pretty silly right now, but we're still getting used to the whole live streaming thing. Forgive us x_X hahah.

Edited again to add: the audio episode is up at http://25minstosurrender.podomatic.com/entry/2011-01-26T07_29_12-08_00

and on iTunes already, too. =D
it's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange. -takeshi kaga
Senx
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Sweden5901 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-26 15:24:30
January 26 2011 15:24 GMT
#32
Just watched the episode on own3d, good job. Roku was a decent guest.
Can't wait to hear locodoco on the show, should be fun if he' actually willing to share his thoughts.. he seems like a pretty soft spoken/quiet guy.
"trash micro but win - its marine" MC commentary during HSC 4
judytuna
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
January 27 2011 01:15 GMT
#33
Senx, do you have any questions for him in particular? =)

Also... I finally went to our other friends' house to get the dandinh episode onto my computer today. That's the only episode that was recorded without me, so it was on someone else's computer that we didn't have access to for a while. We'll release it as soon as I clean up the audio (or try to, at least).

Thanks for commenting, and give us feedback =)
it's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange. -takeshi kaga
ATeddyBear
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Canada2843 Posts
January 27 2011 01:19 GMT
#34
When are you guys going to get some CLG members. I'm curious about how they started up.
Professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world’s first analrapist.
Abenson
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada4122 Posts
January 27 2011 01:33 GMT
#35
Can we get a TL episode? :D
Title: TeamLiquid - Founders of all things brave

Pretty please? :D
judytuna
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States217 Posts
January 27 2011 02:16 GMT
#36
Anything for you Abenson!!! When do you want me to set it up? LOL

We can have a big lovefest Skype conference call and have TL talk about what makes it the best LoL community. Then we can stream some inhouse games after the show =D

@ATeddyBear: we shall work on it. I'll keep this thread updated about guests!!
it's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange. -takeshi kaga
barbsq
Profile Joined November 2009
United States5348 Posts
January 27 2011 02:19 GMT
#37
talk to caller, guitarasaurus and redtooth about bravery
Look at this guy, constantly diluting himself! (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ ( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
Phrost
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States4008 Posts
January 27 2011 02:20 GMT
#38
talk to me and 5hit combo about being dead and rage
iamphrost.tumblr.com // http://howtobebettermagicplayer.tumblr.com // twitter @phrost_
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
January 27 2011 08:00 GMT
#39
How are the two of you going to talk, seeing as how your dead? Or is it one of those ghost things where you can intercept the real world by communicating over radio waves?
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
Phrost
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States4008 Posts
January 27 2011 12:58 GMT
#40
we will communicate via puppetry
iamphrost.tumblr.com // http://howtobebettermagicplayer.tumblr.com // twitter @phrost_
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5211
Bisu 2216
Soulkey 1509
EffOrt 1062
Jaedong 961
Horang2 706
Mini 516
actioN 412
ZerO 355
Larva 350
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 264
Yoon 113
Mind 105
Sharp 84
Pusan 79
Dewaltoss 70
Shinee 70
hero 68
Snow 63
Hyun 56
Barracks 53
Bale 42
sorry 38
ToSsGirL 36
Sacsri 21
scan(afreeca) 17
Trap 16
NaDa 13
Rock 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Terrorterran 9
Noble 6
zelot 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4787
qojqva2590
Dendi1120
Counter-Strike
fl0m802
Fnx 600
x6flipin5
Other Games
hiko921
B2W.Neo769
Lowko366
crisheroes296
DeMusliM245
XBOCT215
Liquid`RaSZi213
Hui .194
Livibee186
Liquid`VortiX177
QueenE85
Mew2King49
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 58
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV682
League of Legends
• Nemesis2842
• Jankos1858
Other Games
• Shiphtur168
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 33m
Patches Events
1d 1h
The PondCast
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.