• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:26
CEST 14:26
KST 21:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8551 users

Heroes Large General Thread - Page 419

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
9055 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 417 418 419 420 421 453 Next
Add yourself in the TL Player list if you want to play with TL people, and /join teamliquid channel ingame. Also check out the new Heroes Liquipedia.
Yoav
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1874 Posts
May 21 2015 19:38 GMT
#8361
On May 22 2015 01:02 xDaunt wrote:
For newbies, team comps shouldn't matter that much as long as both are equally screwed up (as is usually the case). It's more important for the newbies to focus on learning the flow and pacing of the game, as well as the heroes that they are playing.


Eh, a random team selection frequently leaves one team overwhelmingly favored. It's made worse by newbies not understanding that some heroes are just not for new players (Illidan and most specialists)
Thezzy
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands2117 Posts
May 21 2015 20:02 GMT
#8362
The horribly bad spot that QM is in now is making me wonder if I should try Hero League even though I don't know ten heroes completely comfortably yet.

The ones I have are Anub, Muradin, ETC, Tyrande, Malfurion, Kerrigan, Valla and Zagara.

Of those, I have yet to play ETC since his changes and know the rest well, with Zagara, Kerrigan, Anub and Tyrande being my main heroes. As a third support I'll get Uther (who I've played quite a bit when he's on rotation) though I'm not sure yet about my third assassin. Jaina is popular but I just don't really like her that much, I'd rather get Tychus but I don't think he is as useful or wanted. Falstad seems fun but I'd have to play him a dozen games first. Zeratul might be an option, but I'd definitely want to get real good with him before I play him in HL. Bad Void Prisons ruin games.

I was planning on slowly improving over time and adding heroes till I got ten heroes that I know very well before I went into HL but QM is such garbage right now. Absolutely terrible in that I'm getting multiple 3k MMR teams versus half that.
In several games it feels like I'm the only one that knows better than to dive for objectives or starting a teamfight when you're 9-11 in levels down. And then there's the absolutely new player that just doesn't know the game, map, hero or basics.
That in itself is fine but why am I playing with them against 3k MMR teams?
Playing Terran is like flying down a MULE drop in a marine suit, firing a Gauss Rifle
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
May 21 2015 20:52 GMT
#8363
I just realised that now you can play all servers :D
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
May 21 2015 21:00 GMT
#8364
On May 22 2015 05:02 Thezzy wrote:
The horribly bad spot that QM is in now is making me wonder if I should try Hero League even though I don't know ten heroes completely comfortably yet.

The ones I have are Anub, Muradin, ETC, Tyrande, Malfurion, Kerrigan, Valla and Zagara.

Of those, I have yet to play ETC since his changes and know the rest well, with Zagara, Kerrigan, Anub and Tyrande being my main heroes. As a third support I'll get Uther (who I've played quite a bit when he's on rotation) though I'm not sure yet about my third assassin. Jaina is popular but I just don't really like her that much, I'd rather get Tychus but I don't think he is as useful or wanted. Falstad seems fun but I'd have to play him a dozen games first. Zeratul might be an option, but I'd definitely want to get real good with him before I play him in HL. Bad Void Prisons ruin games.

I was planning on slowly improving over time and adding heroes till I got ten heroes that I know very well before I went into HL but QM is such garbage right now. Absolutely terrible in that I'm getting multiple 3k MMR teams versus half that.
In several games it feels like I'm the only one that knows better than to dive for objectives or starting a teamfight when you're 9-11 in levels down. And then there's the absolutely new player that just doesn't know the game, map, hero or basics.
That in itself is fine but why am I playing with them against 3k MMR teams?

HL is not that hardcore. I started playing HL immediately when I got 10 heroes After 50 matches I still have those same 10 heroes. 1 support only
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-21 21:29:10
May 21 2015 21:23 GMT
#8365
On May 22 2015 05:52 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
I just realised that now you can play all servers :D


Yup: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/19162954

I was excited at first, but I don't think I'm in any hurry to start over *with* lag though =p.

On May 22 2015 05:02 Thezzy wrote:
The horribly bad spot that QM is in now is making me wonder if I should try Hero League even though I don't know ten heroes completely comfortably yet.

The ones I have are Anub, Muradin, ETC, Tyrande, Malfurion, Kerrigan, Valla and Zagara.

Of those, I have yet to play ETC since his changes and know the rest well, with Zagara, Kerrigan, Anub and Tyrande being my main heroes. As a third support I'll get Uther (who I've played quite a bit when he's on rotation) though I'm not sure yet about my third assassin. Jaina is popular but I just don't really like her that much, I'd rather get Tychus but I don't think he is as useful or wanted. Falstad seems fun but I'd have to play him a dozen games first. Zeratul might be an option, but I'd definitely want to get real good with him before I play him in HL. Bad Void Prisons ruin games.

I was planning on slowly improving over time and adding heroes till I got ten heroes that I know very well before I went into HL but QM is such garbage right now. Absolutely terrible in that I'm getting multiple 3k MMR teams versus half that.
In several games it feels like I'm the only one that knows better than to dive for objectives or starting a teamfight when you're 9-11 in levels down. And then there's the absolutely new player that just doesn't know the game, map, hero or basics.
That in itself is fine but why am I playing with them against 3k MMR teams?


If you are good at/like Tychus, play Tychus. The difference between hero tiers is not that large to justify shoe-horning yourself into Jaina over Tychus. Plus, I'm stereotyping that if you haven't tried HL before now then you aren't likely to be shooting for rank-1 where the differences start to matter (and even then I would argue are not game breaking).

I'm terrible at support and try to avoid it as much as possible. Looking at my match history I've only been support in 6 / 44 matches (not counting Tassadar, fyi Tyranda can't solo-support so I wouldn't count her either). I'm surprised I haven't been forced into healing more.

In any case, HL is a very different beast from QM, I didn't like it and really only played the month it came out. Probably cuz I was much worse at it than QM for whatever reason (being bad at changing who I play game to game probably a big part of it).
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
May 21 2015 22:14 GMT
#8366
On May 22 2015 06:23 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 05:52 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
I just realised that now you can play all servers :D


Yup: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/19162954

I was excited at first, but I don't think I'm in any hurry to start over *with* lag though =p.

Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 05:02 Thezzy wrote:
The horribly bad spot that QM is in now is making me wonder if I should try Hero League even though I don't know ten heroes completely comfortably yet.

The ones I have are Anub, Muradin, ETC, Tyrande, Malfurion, Kerrigan, Valla and Zagara.

Of those, I have yet to play ETC since his changes and know the rest well, with Zagara, Kerrigan, Anub and Tyrande being my main heroes. As a third support I'll get Uther (who I've played quite a bit when he's on rotation) though I'm not sure yet about my third assassin. Jaina is popular but I just don't really like her that much, I'd rather get Tychus but I don't think he is as useful or wanted. Falstad seems fun but I'd have to play him a dozen games first. Zeratul might be an option, but I'd definitely want to get real good with him before I play him in HL. Bad Void Prisons ruin games.

I was planning on slowly improving over time and adding heroes till I got ten heroes that I know very well before I went into HL but QM is such garbage right now. Absolutely terrible in that I'm getting multiple 3k MMR teams versus half that.
In several games it feels like I'm the only one that knows better than to dive for objectives or starting a teamfight when you're 9-11 in levels down. And then there's the absolutely new player that just doesn't know the game, map, hero or basics.
That in itself is fine but why am I playing with them against 3k MMR teams?


If you are good at/like Tychus, play Tychus. The difference between hero tiers is not that large to justify shoe-horning yourself into Jaina over Tychus. Plus, I'm stereotyping that if you haven't tried HL before now then you aren't likely to be shooting for rank-1 where the differences start to matter (and even then I would argue are not game breaking).

I'm terrible at support and try to avoid it as much as possible. Looking at my match history I've only been support in 6 / 44 matches (not counting Tassadar, fyi Tyranda can't solo-support so I wouldn't count her either). I'm surprised I haven't been forced into healing more.

In any case, HL is a very different beast from QM, I didn't like it and really only played the month it came out. Probably cuz I was much worse at it than QM for whatever reason (being bad at changing who I play game to game probably a big part of it).

Lili is so easy support that anybody can use it. Also she is so damn good D: And she is my only support that I have
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
TokO
Profile Joined July 2011
Norway577 Posts
May 21 2015 22:22 GMT
#8367
On May 22 2015 06:23 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 05:52 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
I just realised that now you can play all servers :D


Yup: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/19162954

I was excited at first, but I don't think I'm in any hurry to start over *with* lag though =p.


It's like the dead opposite of the localised servers we need in LotV lol ^^
Luiwtf
Profile Joined January 2011
England217 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-21 23:12:46
May 21 2015 23:10 GMT
#8368
Global play is so pointless for Heroes. The only difference between it and having to make a new account is that you get to use the same login details.

Not surprising though since all Blizzard games are like that .

I think they accidentally posted next week's sales on the Italian forum and then removed them, they're:

Anub
Cyb'arak Skin (I'm assuming Armour'arak is cyb'arak) - Edit: it's Amour, not Armour, I guess it's love bug arak, might buy that one :D
Roller Derby Nova
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17915 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 03:38:54
May 22 2015 03:36 GMT
#8369
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.


the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
dae
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1600 Posts
May 22 2015 04:01 GMT
#8370
On May 22 2015 12:36 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAx9IekIY0&t=205s

the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.


I think that HotS is not a massive investment from blizzard. Alot of assets are reused from other games, and it is just using the modified SC2 engine.

It seems like its a medium size team of developers, which means that it really doesn't need massive massive sales to make a profit. I doubt its going anywhere.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17915 Posts
May 22 2015 04:30 GMT
#8371
On May 22 2015 13:01 dae wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 12:36 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAx9IekIY0&t=205s

the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.


I think that HotS is not a massive investment from blizzard. Alot of assets are reused from other games, and it is just using the modified SC2 engine.

It seems like its a medium size team of developers, which means that it really doesn't need massive massive sales to make a profit. I doubt its going anywhere.


depends what you mean by massive.
rather than using vague wording that can mean anything lets get down to numbers.

in 2013 there were 80 to 90 guys working on the game.
that grew to 140 in 2014.
so the team is more than double the size of the RTS team.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/21/5723572/heroes-of-the-storm-making-of-blizzard
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
May 22 2015 05:00 GMT
#8372
On May 22 2015 13:30 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 13:01 dae wrote:
On May 22 2015 12:36 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAx9IekIY0&t=205s

the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.


I think that HotS is not a massive investment from blizzard. Alot of assets are reused from other games, and it is just using the modified SC2 engine.

It seems like its a medium size team of developers, which means that it really doesn't need massive massive sales to make a profit. I doubt its going anywhere.


depends what you mean by massive.
rather than using vague wording that can mean anything lets get down to numbers.

in 2013 there were 80 to 90 guys working on the game.
that grew to 140 in 2014.
so the team is more than double the size of the RTS team.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/21/5723572/heroes-of-the-storm-making-of-blizzard


The thing is, they both share a team, Team 1 is both HOTS and Starcraft. We dont know how many are working for either project exclusively, I believe Dustin Browder talks about this in one of his interviews at Heroes of the Dorm.

A good chunk of the team is an art team, and art is a weird thing in games, you're constantly in and out of projects, because unlike programming/game design stuff, there's only so much they need from you.

IDK, I think with the marketing alone it'll be an alright population wise.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17915 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 05:59:23
May 22 2015 05:51 GMT
#8373
On May 22 2015 14:00 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 13:30 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On May 22 2015 13:01 dae wrote:
On May 22 2015 12:36 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAx9IekIY0&t=205s

the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.


I think that HotS is not a massive investment from blizzard. Alot of assets are reused from other games, and it is just using the modified SC2 engine.

It seems like its a medium size team of developers, which means that it really doesn't need massive massive sales to make a profit. I doubt its going anywhere.


depends what you mean by massive.
rather than using vague wording that can mean anything lets get down to numbers.

in 2013 there were 80 to 90 guys working on the game.
that grew to 140 in 2014.
so the team is more than double the size of the RTS team.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/21/5723572/heroes-of-the-storm-making-of-blizzard


The thing is, they both share a team,


the RTS team and HOTS team have been separate for a long while now.
which is what allows them to both be in development simultaneously.
do both teams walk past the same security guard in the morning? ya.

The # of employees working on a project goes up during beta... so if anything its now more than 140.

Furthermore, your claims would make Blizzard's responses in the link i provided in the area of misleading or deceptive. There is no motive for deception.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 06:24:53
May 22 2015 06:21 GMT
#8374
On May 22 2015 14:51 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 14:00 lestye wrote:
On May 22 2015 13:30 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On May 22 2015 13:01 dae wrote:
On May 22 2015 12:36 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAx9IekIY0&t=205s

the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.


I think that HotS is not a massive investment from blizzard. Alot of assets are reused from other games, and it is just using the modified SC2 engine.

It seems like its a medium size team of developers, which means that it really doesn't need massive massive sales to make a profit. I doubt its going anywhere.


depends what you mean by massive.
rather than using vague wording that can mean anything lets get down to numbers.

in 2013 there were 80 to 90 guys working on the game.
that grew to 140 in 2014.
so the team is more than double the size of the RTS team.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/21/5723572/heroes-of-the-storm-making-of-blizzard


The thing is, they both share a team,


the RTS team and HOTS team have been separate for a long while now.
which is what allows them to both be in development simultaneously.
do both teams walk past the same security guard in the morning? ya.

The # of employees working on a project goes up during beta... so if anything its now more than 140.

Furthermore, your claims would make Blizzard's responses in the link i provided in the area of misleading or deceptive. There is no motive for deception.

They're stlll Team 1 out of Blizzard's 5 development teams, they still answer to the same leads of both projects . they probably switch people in and out like I described, which allows the team to work on two titles simultaneously. Granted, you probably have people who will never touch HOTS on that team, and vice versa.

There is no motive for deception because there is no deception.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 07:00:45
May 22 2015 06:59 GMT
#8375
I still think its a bit unfair to declare Heroes as a failure before it launches. There is a difference between having to sign up for a beta (even if its easy to get access) and just go into a website and press "download".

That said, I don't think Heroes will be a huge success either. I said it before (and it was the reason I quit the game), but the skillcap/outplay potential of heroes is simply too low. And in order to verify that this isn't just me, I went on to check what the most played LOL heroes actually are.

http://loldb.gameguyz.com/statistics/0/0/2/0/0/30

Everyone who has a bit of experience with the game would identify the most picked champions as being high skill playmakers, and the end of the day, that is really what Heroes is lacking imo. Why would you switch from LOL to a new game where you have to pay (or play a lot) to unlock new stuff just so you can play similar Heroes you would never touch in LOL?
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17915 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 07:33:23
May 22 2015 07:24 GMT
#8376
On May 22 2015 15:21 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2015 14:51 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On May 22 2015 14:00 lestye wrote:
On May 22 2015 13:30 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On May 22 2015 13:01 dae wrote:
On May 22 2015 12:36 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On April 07 2015 22:24 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
I'm getting buried in Heroes of the Storm offers from Blizzard. First they throw up a pay-wall and then a few weeks later they let any one in?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Stop-Selling-Heroes-Storm-Beta-Keys-71126.html

Has Blizzard announced how many people bought this "Founder's Pack". I'm guessing the number was lower than expected and Blizzard ain't saying a thing.

With Blizzard pumping out more and more content each year in all of their various universes.. sooner or later they are going to have a commercial failure. and i think Heroes of the Storm is going to be just that.. Blizzard's first commercial failure.

Fortunately, they can move the people working on Heroes onto other projects.. like folding and counting all the money they are making with Hearthstone and WoW.


made this contentious post a while back.

well, it seems others are noticing the game's lack of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAx9IekIY0&t=205s

the retail starter pack will be $20 and be available June 2.

With the release of any AAA level title or expansion (SC2, D3, WoW) Blizzard issues a triumphant press release about all the bazillions of dollars they are making as the game sells millions of units in a week or less.

if we get a press release from Blizzard about sales totals within a couple of weeks after the retail release that's a good sign. no press release and no bragging at the next investor call is a bad sign.

i think HotS is a great game. However, i do not think it'll be popular. Maybe it'll take a couple of years to build a fan base.


I think that HotS is not a massive investment from blizzard. Alot of assets are reused from other games, and it is just using the modified SC2 engine.

It seems like its a medium size team of developers, which means that it really doesn't need massive massive sales to make a profit. I doubt its going anywhere.


depends what you mean by massive.
rather than using vague wording that can mean anything lets get down to numbers.

in 2013 there were 80 to 90 guys working on the game.
that grew to 140 in 2014.
so the team is more than double the size of the RTS team.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/21/5723572/heroes-of-the-storm-making-of-blizzard


The thing is, they both share a team,


the RTS team and HOTS team have been separate for a long while now.
which is what allows them to both be in development simultaneously.
do both teams walk past the same security guard in the morning? ya.

The # of employees working on a project goes up during beta... so if anything its now more than 140.

Furthermore, your claims would make Blizzard's responses in the link i provided in the area of misleading or deceptive. There is no motive for deception.

They're stlll Team 1 out of Blizzard's 5 development teams, they still answer to the same leads of both projects . they probably switch people in and out like I described, which allows the team to work on two titles simultaneously. Granted, you probably have people who will never touch HOTS on that team, and vice versa.

There is no motive for deception because there is no deception.


you can not have 2 pieces of software simulatneously in beta without separate teams. Beta is the most stressful stage of software development in terms of manpower requirements.
Furthermore, Browder has already stated HotS and SC2 have their own teams. Do they all answer to Mike Morhaime.. sure they do. It does not make paying them any cheaper.

Blizzard hides teams for years. neither of us knows how many teams they have.
We do know its at least 6 though. WoW, Diablo, SC2, Overwatch, Hearthstone, HotS.

On May 22 2015 15:59 Hider wrote:
I still think its a bit unfair to declare Heroes as a failure before it launches.


i agree: never under-estimate Blizzard's ability to improve a game after its released.
Blizzard makes the best expansion packs in the industry. Their "feed back loop" with players is crazy good.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
May 22 2015 08:59 GMT
#8377
i had someone tell me that heroes has over 13 million players right now and it's blowing dota's "6 million" out of the water :crazy:

except that they were inferring the 13 million number based off an interview where the devs said there were 11 million signed up to the beta, and therefore that all 11 million are now playing, and with open beta another 2 million ppl joined. forget ppl with multiple bnet accounts. and then comparing to the made up dota 6 million number, which isnt even correct.
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Deleted User 26513
Profile Joined February 2007
2376 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 12:03:00
May 22 2015 11:29 GMT
#8378
On May 22 2015 15:59 Hider wrote:
I still think its a bit unfair to declare Heroes as a failure before it launches. There is a difference between having to sign up for a beta (even if its easy to get access) and just go into a website and press "download".

That said, I don't think Heroes will be a huge success either. I said it before (and it was the reason I quit the game), but the skillcap/outplay potential of heroes is simply too low. And in order to verify that this isn't just me, I went on to check what the most played LOL heroes actually are.

http://loldb.gameguyz.com/statistics/0/0/2/0/0/30

Everyone who has a bit of experience with the game would identify the most picked champions as being high skill playmakers, and the end of the day, that is really what Heroes is lacking imo. Why would you switch from LOL to a new game where you have to pay (or play a lot) to unlock new stuff just so you can play similar Heroes you would never touch in LOL?

Three things.
First. The fact that a champion is popular is a result of many factors. Most of the time people pick champions that they think are overpowered and will grant them the win. Or they saw some pro winning the game singlehandedly using it. Looking at this list, all of these champions have the reputation of being OP. We are talking about mostly unranked games, where people don't really know what's good. And still on the list there are Jinx and Ashe that are anything BUT high skillcap champs.

Second. If we look at the first champions released in LoL, we can see the likes of Annie, Ryze, Warwick etc. The most basic and dull champion designs possible. As the game gets older then come the more complex heroes. This is done for a reason. Firstly basic heroes are easier to make and second they are needed in the game. Having the basic heroes released first is good for introducing new people to the core concepts of the game(thats why you play Raynor in the tutorial and not Chen). As the game gets older and enough people are familiar with the game, more complex heroes are being introduced.

Third. I can't agree that the relation between "skillcap/outplay" and game popularity is directly proportional. Quite the opposite. If we put the games popular on this site on the "skillcap" scale it will be something like this : SC>DOta2>LoL. Then we look at the popularity of these games and we can safely say that the relation is inversely proportional.
That of course ignores the countless different factors that are responsible for the popularity of a game. And this is why I think that saying if the game will be successful or not, only based on the hero roster/skillcap, is not fair.


Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-22 12:33:38
May 22 2015 12:06 GMT
#8379
Or they saw some pro winning the game singlehandedly using it. Looking at this list, all of these champions have the reputation of being OP.


Only Zed and Thresh on that list is part of the pro meta. But ofc balance obviously is a contributing factor as well, but it should still be obvious that players gnerally prefer "playmaker"-champs.

Ofc the removal of last-hitting makes it slightly harder to get the playmaking-scenarios, but imo that actually implies that the mechanical skill of heroes should be even higher than the skillcap of LOL champs. But unfortunately they went the completely opposite direction.

The most basic and dull champion designs possible. As the game gets older then come the more complex heroes. This is done for a reason. Firstly basic heroes are easier to make and second they are needed in the game. Having the basic heroes released first is good for introducing new people to the core concepts of the game(thats why you play Raynor in the tutorial and not Chen). As the game gets older and enough people are familiar with the game, more complex heroes are being introduced.


In this case this argument doesn't make alot of sense for a couple of reasons:

(1) Blizzard releases champs way too slowly to get enough of high playmaking heroes within a reasonable time frame.

(2) The outplay potential could come through a talent-choice. Then it becomes optional what type of "style" you would use with the hero. So you don't need 30+ "simple/low skill cap" heroes.

(3) LOL was released in 2009. It doesn't make sense to compare how a 6 year old game looked like at release to a Heroes of the Storm. Instead, new products are suppposed to be up to standards with its competitors. You can't defend Blizzard's design-choice here by saying that in "xx years" Heroes will also have lots of outplay-potenital champs. It will be too late at that point in time.

(4) There isn't any clear trend towards Blizzard wanting more "outplay-heroes" in the game. E.g. look at the newest assasin Thrall.

Thus, in my opinion its an intentional decision by Blizzard to avoid 1v2 outplay scenarios and instead they believe teamcoordination should be the primary differentiator.

If we put the games popular on this site on the "skillcap" scale it will be something like this : SC>DOta2>LoL


Its all about being easy too learn and hard to master.
Sc and DOTA = Hard to learn.
HOTS = Easy-to learn relatively easy to master (mechanically)
LOL = Easy to learn, relatively hard to master (mechanically).
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46502 Posts
May 22 2015 12:15 GMT
#8380
Since we're talking about popularity and potential popularity of HotS, I have a question:

What does HotS offer that LoL and DotA (and any other popular MOBA that's been out before HotS) don't? HotS is really my first MOBA game so I have nothing to compare it to (and I believe I'm in the minority with that), but what's the incentive for people to start playing HotS if they're already really committed to playing LoL or DotA? I have many friends tell me "HotS looks nice and all that, but there's no way I'm switching to a different MOBA now."

The only reason I decided to start playing HotS at all is because it has Blizzard heroes and I'm a big fan of Blizzard games (so I suppose brand loyalty is one reason), but why else would HotS potentially be able to hold its own in the MOBA-sphere?
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Prev 1 417 418 419 420 421 453 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1207
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 280
Rex 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 54492
Calm 3791
Shuttle 2813
Bisu 1321
FanTaSy 1296
firebathero 389
Stork 275
Hyuk 263
Zeus 252
actioN 250
[ Show more ]
Mini 237
Soma 232
Rush 223
EffOrt 208
Soulkey 145
Last 139
Light 128
ZerO 114
Snow 110
Mong 71
Dewaltoss 66
PianO 64
Pusan 56
Sea.KH 56
Killer 45
JYJ 44
hero 36
Barracks 36
Free 35
Shinee 34
NotJumperer 33
ToSsGirL 31
Yoon 30
Bale 29
Aegong 27
Sharp 22
Shine 20
sorry 20
HiyA 19
yabsab 19
Sacsri 18
Noble 16
Dota 2
Gorgc6559
Dendi520
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1441
kRYSTAL_96
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King98
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko380
Other Games
gofns33593
singsing1743
B2W.Neo660
crisheroes260
DeMusliM225
hiko152
Livibee107
byalli47
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
34m
OSC
9h 49m
Replay Cast
10h 34m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.