• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:40
CEST 02:40
KST 09:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9151 users

Whale Wars - Page 18

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next All
BushidoSnipr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States910 Posts
June 04 2011 02:59 GMT
#341
At first i thought this show was awesome...then I figured out it was part fake. Forever alone.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
July 16 2011 13:05 GMT
#342
After 5 dreadfully boring episodes, the season is starting to pick up. Episode 6 was amazing. The Sea Shepherd abandoned their search for the Japanese whalers to participate in a search and rescue for some crazy Norwegian thrill seekers that went to the South Pole in a 50 ft yacht. Pretty intense episode. It looks like next episode they find the factory ship so maybe there will be some more action finally.
Syben
Profile Joined October 2010
United States512 Posts
July 16 2011 13:21 GMT
#343
I really enjoyed this show early on but as the idiocy when it comes to their sailing became more prevalent I stopped caring.
Definitely gonna switch to G, the only race I havent played yet. - TLO
Josri
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands219 Posts
July 16 2011 13:21 GMT
#344
Was really likign the show untill he faked that shot.. That was just terrible acting
poundcakes
Profile Joined March 2011
Norway239 Posts
July 16 2011 13:24 GMT
#345
The Berserk crew isn't crazy, they've got experience. Why three crewmembers decided to leave the safety of the anchor area when a polar windstorm set in is strange though.
The cur foretells the knell of parting day; The loafing herd winds slowly o'er the lea; The wise man homeward plods; I only stay to fiddle-faddle in a minor key.
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
July 16 2011 13:32 GMT
#346
On June 04 2011 11:59 BushidoSnipr wrote:
At first i thought this show was awesome...then I figured out it was part fake. Forever alone.


Of course part of it is fake. Why do you think they call it reality television? :[
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
May 14 2012 15:34 GMT
#347
Major bump, haven't got to watch Viking Shores and missed the Tuna episode where they wer ein Libya, BUT Paul Watson has been arrested:

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — An environmental activist group known for its confrontations with whalers and fishermen says its founder has been arrested in Germany for extradition to Costa Rica for allegedly interfering with a shark fishing boat.

Paul Watson of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society was arrested Saturday in Frankfurt, the U.S.-based group said in a statement Sunday.

Sea Shepherd said Watson is accused of violating of ships traffic during filming of a documentary in 2002. The group said the incident took place in Guatemalan waters, when Sea Shepherd encountered an illegal shark finning operation run by a Costa Rican ship, the Varadero.

Sea Shepherd said it told the Varadero's crew to stop and head to port to be prosecuted. The crew accused Sea Shepherd of trying to kill them.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-14 15:46:09
May 14 2012 15:44 GMT
#348
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to book him. He seems to have made it abundantly clear that hes willing to walk on the edge of law, I dont think many people would be surprised to hear that he crossed it on occasion.
Very serious accusation though, I wonder if it will stick. I know nothing of the laws of the country.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
May 16 2012 22:40 GMT
#349
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
July 15 2012 04:24 GMT
#350
(Sorry if I'm inappropriately necro-ing. The last post is technically not "Old Post"-ed, and the show's still running on its 5th season.)

Always thought these guys were pretty... er,..."fishy." Lol. (I know, whales are mammals, not fish...)

The response should be obvious, one way or the other. Either the Japanese are legally permitted to hunt for whales, or they aren't. Which side is actually right, on the other hand, sounds debateable. Apparently, the International Whaling Commission (IWC) created a whale sanctuary, which conveniently surrounds the entirety of Antarctica, and what looks like pretty much everywhere else whales would be when they head South. (source) I'm not sure if this organization should be passed off as unofficial, or if it's actually backed by the representative countries' governments, like a UN for whales. If it's unofficial and the waters are internationally free, then Japan does no legal wrong. If the IWC's sanctuary is to be internationally enforced, then Japan's undoubtedly in trouble, but the Sea Shepherds are going about this in a terribly hypocritcal and unsuitable manner.

Sooooo, anyone watching Season 5? I try to glance at the last 10 or so minutes, when stuff actually happens. X-D
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
logikly
Profile Joined February 2009
United States329 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-15 04:49:23
July 15 2012 04:48 GMT
#351
Been watching this show since season 1. I do not find myself a green person but this cause i do support. wish I could be their medic
함은정,류화영,남규리
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
July 15 2012 05:01 GMT
#352
All this is the reason I stopped eating meat, how can one blissfully eat cow, pig or chicken and they pretend to be mad about killing whales, dolphins or even dogs??

The Japanese whalers have the legal right to do what they are doing and are strictly monitored by an external international organisation, I know this because one my of students is a fisherman and the reason he is studying English is because of the need to communicate with said organisation.

One thing I will add is that whaling to the Japanese is seen as a traditional activity and no more right or wrong than killing any other animal for food.
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
July 15 2012 05:21 GMT
#353
On July 15 2012 14:01 robjapan wrote:
The Japanese whalers have the legal right to do what they are doing and are strictly monitored by an external international organisation, I know this because one my of students is a fisherman and the reason he is studying English is because of the need to communicate with said organisation.


Personally, I hope you're right. I believe Japan should have the right to hunt if they so choose, and if they've got a maximum quota to not go over, that's adequately enforced by the international community, then they're doin' it right.

Curious, though: you've stopped consuming all meat, but support Japan's practices. (I'm one who's fine with any meat, by the way) Is it to support treating all animals equally, livestock or not? Sorry, I'm merely confused. O_o
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
July 15 2012 14:32 GMT
#354
I think it's wrong to kill animals and eat them but I'm not going to go around telling people what they can and can't do.

It's just my choice and I firmly believe that all people are free to do the same.
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
July 15 2012 14:37 GMT
#355
On July 15 2012 13:48 logikly wrote:
Been watching this show since season 1. I do not find myself a green person but this cause i do support. wish I could be their medic

This has as much to do with .. "green sentiments" as throwing red paint on people wearing fur has to do with saving furry animals.

The biggest tipoff is it's televised. I'm a staunch believer that no form of continual protest can be so exciting as to merit a seasons worth of footage.

Glad to hear the knuckleheads were charged for criminal actions. They're not as embarrassing as PETA but not for lack of trying.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Praetorial
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States4241 Posts
July 15 2012 14:48 GMT
#356
I am very much in favor of conservation, and the killing of whales is abhorrent and should be stopped.

But the Sea Shepard society are idiots. They take violent measures, and do nothing on their show except show off that they are hippies and want to save whales. I would not want to be associated with them and honestly think that they do deserve a classification of terrorist.

I call throwing objects at another ship with the intent to harm, and doing so repeatedly and with deliberate intent, terrorism.
FOR GREAT JUSTICE! Bans for the ban gods!
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-15 15:29:57
July 15 2012 15:22 GMT
#357
On July 15 2012 23:32 robjapan wrote:
I think it's wrong to kill animals and eat them but I'm not going to go around telling people what they can and can't do.

It's just my choice and I firmly believe that all people are free to do the same.


Ah, mmkay. Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

Thought this was a good laugh, if it hasn't been shown yet, that is: + Show Spoiler +


Well, shoot. Can't embed it. Just watch it on YouTube, then. :-D


On July 15 2012 23:48 Praetorial wrote:
I am very much in favor of conservation, and the killing of whales is abhorrent and should be stopped.


I'm in favor of conservation too; I don't support the reckless killing of any animal that is threatened to extinction, or close to threatened or whatever. However, with discretion, I don't have a problem with hunting whales for food. I don't see killing any other animal is less abhorrent than killing a whale, except just on a proportionally much larger scale. Good stewardship, in my opinion, says, "Do use, don't abuse."
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
giftdgecko
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2126 Posts
July 16 2012 03:59 GMT
#358
I think most people are in agreement that Paul Watson is a few drones short of full saturation, but some of what they are trying to do is legit. Whales aren't like cows or chickens that can be farmed, they are more like elephants. I live in an area of the US that has "whale watching" as part of our tourism and my gf performs research on the effect of toxins on whale tissues (BP oil spill stuff). Whales aren't rapid breeders nor do they grow to mating age fast in most cases. Simply put, they aren't a sustainable food and shouldn't be treated as such.

The taking of these whales isn't for research because to get the information you need you shouldn't have to kill any whales, let alone the numbers they set. The fact that it is often called a quota kinda tells the story of how some people feel. Fishermen have quotas, scientists have goals. If we can capture and release great whites to get the scientific information we need are whales really that much more difficult they have to die?

The IWC generally opposes the Japanese whaling system for the main reason that it is making a profit off the killing of a practice supposedly under a moratorium. With South Korea possibly following the Japanese example of bending the rules, hopefully the IWC will grow some testes and make black and white rules and limitations so that the whaling done will truly be for the benefit of scientific research and the preservation of these species.
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
July 21 2012 19:16 GMT
#359
Anyone watch last night's episode? Spoil it for me. I was at the theater seeing DKR.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
January 06 2014 08:29 GMT
#360
Huge bump:



The Sea Shepherd Fleet has located all five vessels of the Japanese whale poaching fleet, including the Japanese factory ship, the Nisshin Maru, inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

The Steve Irwin, The Bob Barker and The Sam Simon are now in pursuit of the whaling fleet, driving them away from their intended poaching grounds, disrupting their illegal hunt, and preparing to shut down their whale-killing operations.

The Steve Irwin’s helicopter first located the Nisshin Maru at 64°44' S, 162°34' W, in New Zealand’s sovereign waters in the Ross Dependency Antarctic region, and inside the internationally recognised Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

Sea Shepherd has obtained compelling footage and images of three dead protected Minke Whales on the deck of the Nisshin Maru, taken at the time the factory ship was first located. A fourth whale, believed to be a Minke, was being butchered on the bloodstained deck.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft448
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta18
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft448
WinterStarcraft57
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 161
Noble 96
NaDa 53
Hyuk 51
Bale 16
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm132
League of Legends
Doublelift4002
Counter-Strike
taco 87
minikerr22
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox548
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4101
Khaldor566
Other Games
summit1g7941
FrodaN1623
Coldzera 812
JimRising 469
C9.Mang0311
KnowMe165
ViBE66
ArmadaUGS51
Mew2King43
CosmosSc2 11
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick786
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH329
• Hupsaiya 56
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21743
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
9h 20m
Online Event
10h 20m
FEL
15h 20m
AI Arena Tournament
16h 20m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
18h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
INu's Battles
1d 11h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.