• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:19
CEST 04:19
KST 11:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8963 users

[Guide] A Hackintosh How to: From the Ground Up - Page 9

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 14 Next All
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-07 04:50:43
August 07 2009 04:42 GMT
#161
I use a program called Gnome (partition editor) to mess around with partitions and do multiple OS installs on a single HDD. Maybe it can help you. I am afraid I am not certain what is wrong with your HDD either. It might be best to start over?

Are you using windows 7?
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Also, Cham 2 RC2 is out: (fixes some bugs, just use it ;p)
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159885&st=300&p=1137584&#entry1137584

Additionally, 10.5.8 came out yesterday. Go ahead and download it anyone who wants it, just boot off the boot-132 CD afterward and type in "80" to choose the primary HDD and boot with flags " -x -f " then install all drivers again. 10.5.8 fucks the ATI 4870 driver over, so if you don't boot off the CD and re-install then you get a garbled white mess of a screen and no boot at all. But, once you install the drivers again everything is pretty and perfect.

edit: oh, and 10.5.8 fails to load the first time, then restarts the comp. that even happens on real macs. just ignore it ;p
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
tgrokz
Profile Joined July 2009
United States30 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-07 22:24:50
August 07 2009 21:15 GMT
#162
Well, now I have a much bigger problem. I used gparted and deleted the large ntfs part and formatted it to hfs+
when I rebooted, it wouldn't boot from the hard drive. The windows 7 boot disc said I didn't have windows installed or had a different version. The partitions are still there, but after it tries to boot from the disc drive it just hangs. I tried switching the boot flag From the 200mb efi part to the win7 and osx partitions, but nothing worked. Pleeeassee help me fix this so I don't have to redo everything haha.

Deleting the big partition didn't help. Should I try installing another win7 partition and use easybcd to replace the maybe curropted boot sector?
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
August 07 2009 22:36 GMT
#163
you can't boot off OS X either??

Try sticking in the Boot-132 CD and boot off that, then do the whole type"80" thing, press enter, and then try installing Chameleon 2 again.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
tgrokz
Profile Joined July 2009
United States30 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-07 23:15:14
August 07 2009 22:51 GMT
#164
gparted changed partition style to gpt on all drives, apparently. Windows said it couldn't install win7 because everything was in the gpt partition style. Is there a way to change it back?
Booting into osx through boot 123 worked. I installed chameleon and now it boots to the chameleon screen. When I try to boot osx, I get a bunch of terminal like text and it kernal panics. Win 7 says that the boot sector is damaged and needs repai, which can't be done because the win boot disc says I'm using the wrong version. I just have to change the gpt thing I think. I was apparently using the windows bootloader before. I guess that's why it wouldn't boot anything
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-07 23:12:43
August 07 2009 23:11 GMT
#165
win7 can install on GPT. You should probably install OS X and Win7 on GPT for simplicity. Then they could probably read each other also...

This is why I suggest two separate HDDs in the guide though ;p It makes it WAY easier.

Anything you did with Gpart you can un-do with Gpart as well. You could maybe take a picture of your disks when at the Gpart window and post it? I could perhaps get a better idea of what needs to change.

Windows 7 repair would probably fix any W7 boot issues as well.


on a side note I finally built an i7 hackintosh benchmarks soon I suppose.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
tgrokz
Profile Joined July 2009
United States30 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-08 00:03:25
August 07 2009 23:22 GMT
#166
hm it was very insistent that i couldnt install win7 on any gpt partition haha. i wish i had the money to get that other HD

as i said, the win boot disc cant repair anything. it says that im using a different version of windows than whats on the disc.

as for gpart, i know nothing noticeably changed after i partitioned and formatted the volume to hsf+. i know the entire disc's information panel said it was in the gpt style format, or something. i dont know if it said anything different before, though. i think i saw a screenshot icon in there, so ill see if that will work. if not, i guess ill have to settle for crappy iphone pics haha

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


the ntfs partition had msftres after it, but when i changed the flag to boot, it wouldnt let me just turn it off. unchecking boot auto checked that
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
August 08 2009 00:03 GMT
#167
maybe just install win 7 then? Does the installer disk let you do that?
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
tgrokz
Profile Joined July 2009
United States30 Posts
August 08 2009 00:11 GMT
#168
no. every partition says windows cant be installed due to the gpt thing. formatting within the windows disc doesnt help at all.
tgrokz
Profile Joined July 2009
United States30 Posts
August 08 2009 01:46 GMT
#169
eh not worth all the trouble. chameleon works, but boots only into osx, so ill just reinstall windows. i used the install pc_efi chameleon option in uinstaller and now it boots nicely into OSX so ill just start over winth win7. i didnt have anything too important on it, anyway
maltice
Profile Joined July 2009
United States28 Posts
August 10 2009 12:09 GMT
#170
Question:
Does OSX shut down on anyone randomly and give a message that says, "You need to shut down your computer" ?

It doesn't happen often but it happened to my wife again last night when she was doing some stuff and its happened to me a few times when I first built it.

Basically a seethrough grayish background descends from the top of the screen and covers the main screen and gives the message. I believe there is a big power symbol on the message too.

Anyone?
Whats the rumpus?
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-12 02:41:10
August 12 2009 00:02 GMT
#171
This?
http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/data/57/Kernel_Panic-1p0f.png

That is kernel panic. That is a bad thing.

It is basically the BSoD equivalent. Remind me, are you having any driver problems? Are you overclocking? Any differences between your build and and my parts list?

also, have you run any stress test programs? handbrake, or CPUTest?
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
maltice
Profile Joined July 2009
United States28 Posts
August 13 2009 00:27 GMT
#172
Yep, its the kernel panic screen... heh.

No driver issues, no overclocking (yet)....

When I first installed I had a few kernel panics but now its pretty stable (except for the one my wife had the other day when I posted this)...

I havent tested anything with handbrake or CPU test yet so I'll give that a whirl... Other than the one the other day I havent had one in weeks and I've been editing with final cut and doing tons of stuff so it may have just been a fluke but I'll do some stress tests and see what happens. Thanks again.
Whats the rumpus?
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
August 13 2009 00:37 GMT
#173
Well, CPUTest really should not turn up anything if you never overclocked. CPUs never ever are bad unless you physically damage them.

You can try DLing and burning to a CD memtest86+. It should complete 3 full passes (3 hours maybe?) without any errors. Then at least you can sign off on the RAM as well.

You might be best served to just update to 10.5.8 and reinstall the drivers. Do all of the motherboard drivers (EP45-DS3L+essentials) as well as the Enabler_for_nvidia driver package.

You no longer need to install the motmot kext or the initial HD48xx series package. I also modified the OP to reflect this change.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
August 21 2009 06:38 GMT
#174
On August 05 2009 03:38 maleorderbride wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 01 2009 13:59 Dead9 wrote:
On August 01 2009 11:30 maleorderbride wrote:
Hmmm..that is odd. You can download seatools to check the HDD as well. Although, it does not sound like a HDD problem we still need to rule it out. Did you run OCCT for at least 4 hours? Preferably 8.

After that you should really get a spare PSU to test with. If the RAM/HDD/PSU/CPU all test OK then that really just leaves the motherboard =/

Blehhh I just closed seagate on accident after it ran for a few hours on long drive self test >_<
Running the short self drive test now
But it passed the SMART test

I ran OCCT for 7 hours and 40-something minutes
I don't really have any spare computer parts; the only ways I could get another PSU would be to buy another or steal one from someone :[

Edit: apparently the short tests run really fast, both of my HDDs passed the SMART check, short drive self test, and short generic

I'm probably just going to give my extra two sticks of RAM to my friend and buy another motherboard in a few years =\


Might want to steal a PSU to test with =/ (Radioshack 30 day return policy!) as your comp not working with 8GBs of RAM really seems like you have some sort of hardware problem. Chances are it will crop up again later in the form of additional instability. It is best to solve it now.

Managed to get a new PSU (only took a month right haha) and it still doesn't work :[
torifile
Profile Joined August 2009
United States6 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-21 20:06:26
August 21 2009 20:06 GMT
#175
Thanks for the thorough guide. I have a very similar set up with a couple differences. I have a EP45-DS4P rather than your board. And, the big one, a Gigabyte 4870. In short, the gigabyte 4870 DOES NOT WORK in OSX. It's a lost cause. I went as far as flashing it yesterday to try. No go. Oh well. I'll try a 4890 and see if I have better luck. If not, as least I get a better graphics card.
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
August 21 2009 23:48 GMT
#176
The 4870 should really work, unless you have a TOXIC 4870 or one of the HDMI/S-video/DVI version cards. Is that what you have?

Even if you do, there *might* be a thread somewhere on insanelymac that can help.

<b>Dead9</b>: Have you tried just one stick in each of the RAM channels? Is it possible that just one channel on the motherboard is bad?
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
torifile
Profile Joined August 2009
United States6 Posts
August 22 2009 02:11 GMT
#177
On August 22 2009 08:48 maleorderbride wrote:
The 4870 should really work, unless you have a TOXIC 4870 or one of the HDMI/S-video/DVI version cards. Is that what you have?

Even if you do, there *might* be a thread somewhere on insanelymac that can help.

<b>Dead9</b>: Have you tried just one stick in each of the RAM channels? Is it possible that just one channel on the motherboard is bad?

Nope. I swear, I've read every last pixel on getting the 4870 to work and a Gigabyte card will not work. It was a DVI/HDMI/Displayport version. I'm running a Diamond Radeon HD 4890 (for google spiders to get this post in case someone is looking) and it booted straight into my previously broken OS X without modification.

[image loading]
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
August 22 2009 15:32 GMT
#178
Ah, yea the DVI/HDMI/Displayport versions are the only ones that do not work ;p

If anyone ever gets reliably working EFI strings then it will be fine.

Also, that 4890 is not quite done yet, you want Core Image to say "hardware" and Quartz Extreme to be "supported".
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
torifile
Profile Joined August 2009
United States6 Posts
August 22 2009 18:56 GMT
#179
On August 23 2009 00:32 maleorderbride wrote:
Ah, yea the DVI/HDMI/Displayport versions are the only ones that do not work ;p

That's just my luck.

Also, that 4890 is not quite done yet, you want Core Image to say "hardware" and Quartz Extreme to be "supported".

Yeah, I noticed that QE/CI weren't enabled. I'm working on that next. I did a restore from my TM backup last night and my LAN ports quit working. I'm not sure what happened but I'm just starting over and I'll get it all working by tonight, I hope.

One thing I haven't been able to do is get audio working. It says "no output source connected" or something like that. I checked my BIOS settings and it's set to what the OP suggests. Any ideas?
torifile
Profile Joined August 2009
United States6 Posts
August 22 2009 19:56 GMT
#180
Ok. Got QE/CI working. Sound is up next.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 130
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 412
NaDa 40
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm212
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9827
JimRising 695
WinterStarcraft194
ViBE168
Mew2King89
Trikslyr46
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1439
BasetradeTV229
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream116
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• davetesta49
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush242
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 41m
INu's Battles
9h 41m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 41m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 41m
Replay Cast
20h 41m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.