• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:29
CEST 10:29
KST 17:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10355 users

[Guide] Intelligent Investing - Page 6

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
tenbagger
Profile Joined October 2002
United States1289 Posts
June 09 2009 08:37 GMT
#101
One more point regarding Eddie Lampert. I really hate the comparisions where he was hailed as the next Warren Buffett and I think they are way off base. If you read Berkshires annual report, you can clearly see how Buffett operates his business. He has some passive investments such as stock in Coca Cola, Amex, Walmart, etc. but he also runs and operates very successful and diverse businesses such as General RE and Geico. While some of his profits come from financial engineering such as the writing of derivatives contracts, he also knows how to run a real business.

That is where I believe Lampert failed. He made a killing in the finance end of the Kmart/Sears deals but when it came down to actually running the stores, his performance has been downright atrocious. To compare Lampert to either Buffett or Simons is a huge insult to both men.

I agree that value investing is the good old fashioned time tested approach to investing and is way more suited for the average investor. However, to claim that more billionaires have been minted from value investing than from hedge funds is probably inaccurate. I can't say for sure but I'd bet off the top of my head that there are more billionaires that made their fortune from hedge funds than from value investing. And even though you can learn the same value investing principles that Warren Buffett uses, what he does is by no means easy to replicate.
tenbagger
Profile Joined October 2002
United States1289 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-09 08:57:47
June 09 2009 08:43 GMT
#102
On June 09 2009 17:28 SaveMySoul wrote:
"sheer number of running horses" didnt mean that simons performance was lucky. Just that out of the thousands of hedge funds that trades with a complex//statistical macro strategy, simons is one of the very few that actually succeeds.

Also, i don't care whether Simons is actually better than Lampert. But its a bit weird coming from a Buffett fan to be praising someone like Simons, who uses a method that Buffett ridicules in each of his essays.


It comes down to cold hard numbers and performance. Simons is so secretive that no one really knows what his strategy is, so of course I have no idea how he is doing it. It is the long term performance of both Buffett and Simons that is totally mind boggling and worthy of praise. Buffett's strategy is in plain view and he writes letters to the public about it and therefore we can all marvel at his excellence. Simons on the other hand gives out zero information so we can't even independtly verify the accuracy of his results let alone his actual strategy. So while we praise Buffett on both his results and his method, we can praise Simons only on his results alone.

But the name of this game is making money and that is how the score is kept. When you see a tiger woods or federer dominate the competition year over year, you marvel at their accomplishments. This situation is a bit different because we cannot see the actual game and only the results. So everyone is left to wonder, WTF is Simons doing to accomplish this? But the results speaks for itself and it is kinda hard to fathom how truly amazing and remarkable it is to have 20 years no down years, 10 years of no down quarters and a ROI of over 100K% in 20 years.

And the reason why I am comparing Simons and Lampert is because you said the following:

On June 09 2009 15:42 SaveMySoul wrote:

Lampert is truly one of the best. Probably Buffett's successor. One of the best investors of his generation.


I just happen to disagree with that statement and I was merely giving facts to support my case.

SaveMySoul
Profile Joined June 2009
Barbados8 Posts
June 09 2009 09:30 GMT
#103
--- Nuked ---
PobTheCad
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Australia893 Posts
June 09 2009 10:06 GMT
#104
smart money is in gold/silver
US is printing money like wildfire , gold/silver can only go up whilst that occurs
Once again back is the incredible!
Polus
Profile Joined June 2008
United States25 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-09 14:03:48
June 09 2009 14:00 GMT
#105
While it's true that precious metals like gold see a significant bump during a recession, they can be highly volatile and are susceptible to speculation. I also don't see how one could advocate a mid-long term investment unless it's a small part of a diversified portfolio.

I had a friend who spent two years of his life at J.P. Morgan working 70 hours a week entirely on gold. After he left he gave me one piece of advice: stay away from gold.
intruding
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
157 Posts
June 09 2009 15:44 GMT
#106
--- Nuked ---
intruding
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
157 Posts
June 09 2009 15:58 GMT
#107
--- Nuked ---
kewlsunman
Profile Joined May 2004
United States131 Posts
June 09 2009 23:46 GMT
#108
On June 09 2009 17:37 tenbagger wrote:
One more point regarding Eddie Lampert. I really hate the comparisions where he was hailed as the next Warren Buffett and I think they are way off base. If you read Berkshires annual report, you can clearly see how Buffett operates his business. He has some passive investments such as stock in Coca Cola, Amex, Walmart, etc. but he also runs and operates very successful and diverse businesses such as General RE and Geico. While some of his profits come from financial engineering such as the writing of derivatives contracts, he also knows how to run a real business.

That is where I believe Lampert failed. He made a killing in the finance end of the Kmart/Sears deals but when it came down to actually running the stores, his performance has been downright atrocious. To compare Lampert to either Buffett or Simons is a huge insult to both men.

I agree that value investing is the good old fashioned time tested approach to investing and is way more suited for the average investor. However, to claim that more billionaires have been minted from value investing than from hedge funds is probably inaccurate. I can't say for sure but I'd bet off the top of my head that there are more billionaires that made their fortune from hedge funds than from value investing. And even though you can learn the same value investing principles that Warren Buffett uses, what he does is by no means easy to replicate.


You can't compare hedge funds and value investing; one is an investment vehicle, the other is an investment strategy. A lot of successful hedge funds use value-oriented investing strategies. Despite your disdain for Eddie Lampert, his value-oriented hedge fund has been able to return 25-30% annually for over 10 years now. You forget that he was successful before Sears (and I suspect will continue to be despite recent market turmoil--SHLD is up 100% since it hit $30 something a few months ago).

I agree though, value-oriented investing isn't the only way to invest successfully. I'm also a huge fan of Soros who runs much more of a top-down trading fund, although most of his profits go to his philanthropic projects now.
KH1031
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States862 Posts
June 10 2009 02:58 GMT
#109
Amazing guide.

Thanks
Milton Friedman
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
98 Posts
June 10 2009 04:40 GMT
#110
On June 09 2009 02:32 kewlsunman wrote:
--There's no mistake in the mathematics but the assumptions which the math derives from are false.


I went at length to describe the assumptions involved and admitted they are unrealistic. However, like the Mogdigliani-Miller theorems, the insight lies in what happens when some of these assumptions are violated and how well the theory can still approximate for that. In the case of the CAPM and APT the empirical performance is still decent, depending on how you define the market portfolio for CAPM and I've already talked about how APT does work well empirically.


--Sure, volatility can be measured; nobody is arguing that beta is not a good measure of volatility. But volatility IS NOT risk, whereas the standard interpretation of the models suggests that it IS.


Related to a point below.

--Again, a rational argument based on a false premise. Most young people do not rely on their investments for consumption income, they rely on them for capital gains. Even if we step away from the assumptions about the investing rationale of a specific demographic, the simple fact that the intelligent investor CAN ignore short-term unrealized gains/losses is enough to disprove the necessity of equating risk with volatility. My solvency is not at risk if I don't employ leverage (because I'm not deluded into thinking my models are perfectly correct).


People earn a certain amount each period and choose to invest the rest. For many the investment is a savings account of some kind. However, there will inevitably be fluctuations to disposable income, such as unexpected medical bills, and in those times you need to draw upon the money tied into your investments. If you're 100% in equity and due to unfavorable market conditions your portfolio is doing badly then you're taking a hit in your income. I think it's intuitive that people like to smooth consumption through time (to some extent) and that implies smoothing portfolio returns through time. Going 100% in one asset doesn't lead to smoothing.


[Emphasis added]. Sure, but there's market-wide systematic risks which screw up the predictions of the models by turning historically uncorrelated assets into correlated assets.


Thanks for the emphasis. I said idiosyncratic risk for very good reason - precisely because be definition only the systemic risk is left. Hence, the variance of the portfolio can only be the systemic risk - therefore - the variance of the portfolio is reflecting the risk of the portfolio.

Also, most models do account for the leverage effect. There's a lot of literature showing how squared returns are correlated. This empirical fact then allows a prediction of which direction the market may move tomorrow. I've said this more than once now and mentioned the leverage effect more than once too. I don't know where the comment of "screw up the predictions of the models by turning historically uncorrelated assets into correlated assets" is coming from.

I'm not responding to the rest of your post because it misses the point. Nobody doubts the mathematics behind the models, what we're saying is that the assumptions that drive those mathematics are false. I can state that "apples are blue" and then follow it consistently by saying that "apples are the color of the sky"; which would be true, if apples really were blue, but they're not! Similarly, these models can draw impressive mathematical predictions about the movement of real assets IF volatility really does equal risk, but it doesn't!


I didn't miss the point. I was challenged about my claim that CAPM is a special case of APT and there was some surprising comment about how CAPM is empirically more sound than APT. I disputed this and discussed the empirical literature to back up my claim. I haven't seen a response yet.

Model assumptions discussed above. Use of volatility for a portfolio discussed above. Saying something like: "I'd argue that CAPM doesn't make any theoretical sense" is like saying "M-M1 (market value irrelevant of capital structure under perfect markets and no taxes) makes no theoretical sense". I won't repeat myself here.

Risk does have various definitions. I've explained why I'm referring to it as variance. Otherwise risk for an individual asset may be the factor premia associated with that asset (since stocks are essentially discounted future cash flows the factors are usually unexpected inflation, industrial output index etc.). You make quite an outrageous statement:

If I gave you a bet with a 90% chance of doubling your money; a 5% chance of losing half; and a 5% chance of not gaining or losing anything; the correct response is to put ANY AND ALL your money into this bet, over and over and over again. That's what risk is, and what risk management should be from the investor's standpoint--a series of expected return calculations based on the potential for permanent capital loss/gain, not on relative correlation and the magnitude of price movements.


Have you never heard of the St. Petersburg Paradox? One of the oldest insights in Economics is that people want to maximize the expected utility from gambling - people don't just look at the expected value of a gamble.

Furthermore, you're encouraging people to only consider the expected value. Higher moments matter to investors, at the very least the variance of any asset. Forget about CAPM or APT, idiosyncratic or systemic risk but an asset's historical volatility. Are you honestly saying if a stock with an expected return of 10% is better for everyone and you should invest everything into if the only other asset in the world gives an expected return of 5%? If you consider the variance then the 10% expected return asset may have a variance of 20%, while the 5% expected return asset has a variance of 5%. Which asset someone chooses depends on his appetite for bearing higher variance as risk. Mean and variance are only the first two moments - higher moments matter.

--you have control over when you sell, so you can hold out for the long run and ignore the short run.


I'll take this to mean you do know there's a stochastic component to stock price movement (because it's not at all clear from everything else you've said). Everything links together: the need for portfolio diversification to smooth consumption means you can't always hold onto stocks forever. Plus, I'll add in Shiller's favorite example that stock markets don't always rise indefinitely over long periods of time: the Nikkei.

I have never said the theories I have mentioned are perfect. But I consider them more informative for investing than the basic advice of looking at the expected value of a stock by reading the company balance sheet. Indeed, considering equity based performance measures has its own share of problems, e.g. a firm that increases it's leverage and changes its Debt-Equity ratio lowers its EPS but raises its P/E ratio or that you should consider the measurements for all companies within that sector but different firms have different D/E values (thus different equity Betas) although admittedly within a sector the variation is low, so an approximation is quite possible. However, I'm sure you see my point.

I read that you started out as a Investment Banker, which I'm guessing explains your focus on looking at balance sheets. And probably explains why I talk from a more financial perspective.
intruding
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
157 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-10 05:32:43
June 10 2009 05:29 GMT
#111
--- Nuked ---
Melloweitsj
Profile Joined April 2003
Norway118 Posts
June 10 2009 09:07 GMT
#112
Awesome guide kewlsunman!
W... skistav!!!
kewlsunman
Profile Joined May 2004
United States131 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-10 21:42:53
June 10 2009 21:40 GMT
#113
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 10 2009 13:40 Milton Friedman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2009 02:32 kewlsunman wrote:
--There's no mistake in the mathematics but the assumptions which the math derives from are false.


I went at length to describe the assumptions involved and admitted they are unrealistic. However, like the Mogdigliani-Miller theorems, the insight lies in what happens when some of these assumptions are violated and how well the theory can still approximate for that. In the case of the CAPM and APT the empirical performance is still decent, depending on how you define the market portfolio for CAPM and I've already talked about how APT does work well empirically.

Show nested quote +

--Sure, volatility can be measured; nobody is arguing that beta is not a good measure of volatility. But volatility IS NOT risk, whereas the standard interpretation of the models suggests that it IS.


Related to a point below.

Show nested quote +
--Again, a rational argument based on a false premise. Most young people do not rely on their investments for consumption income, they rely on them for capital gains. Even if we step away from the assumptions about the investing rationale of a specific demographic, the simple fact that the intelligent investor CAN ignore short-term unrealized gains/losses is enough to disprove the necessity of equating risk with volatility. My solvency is not at risk if I don't employ leverage (because I'm not deluded into thinking my models are perfectly correct).


People earn a certain amount each period and choose to invest the rest. For many the investment is a savings account of some kind. However, there will inevitably be fluctuations to disposable income, such as unexpected medical bills, and in those times you need to draw upon the money tied into your investments. If you're 100% in equity and due to unfavorable market conditions your portfolio is doing badly then you're taking a hit in your income. I think it's intuitive that people like to smooth consumption through time (to some extent) and that implies smoothing portfolio returns through time. Going 100% in one asset doesn't lead to smoothing.

Show nested quote +

[Emphasis added]. Sure, but there's market-wide systematic risks which screw up the predictions of the models by turning historically uncorrelated assets into correlated assets.


Thanks for the emphasis. I said idiosyncratic risk for very good reason - precisely because be definition only the systemic risk is left. Hence, the variance of the portfolio can only be the systemic risk - therefore - the variance of the portfolio is reflecting the risk of the portfolio.

Also, most models do account for the leverage effect. There's a lot of literature showing how squared returns are correlated. This empirical fact then allows a prediction of which direction the market may move tomorrow. I've said this more than once now and mentioned the leverage effect more than once too. I don't know where the comment of "screw up the predictions of the models by turning historically uncorrelated assets into correlated assets" is coming from.

Show nested quote +
I'm not responding to the rest of your post because it misses the point. Nobody doubts the mathematics behind the models, what we're saying is that the assumptions that drive those mathematics are false. I can state that "apples are blue" and then follow it consistently by saying that "apples are the color of the sky"; which would be true, if apples really were blue, but they're not! Similarly, these models can draw impressive mathematical predictions about the movement of real assets IF volatility really does equal risk, but it doesn't!


I didn't miss the point. I was challenged about my claim that CAPM is a special case of APT and there was some surprising comment about how CAPM is empirically more sound than APT. I disputed this and discussed the empirical literature to back up my claim. I haven't seen a response yet.

Model assumptions discussed above. Use of volatility for a portfolio discussed above. Saying something like: "I'd argue that CAPM doesn't make any theoretical sense" is like saying "M-M1 (market value irrelevant of capital structure under perfect markets and no taxes) makes no theoretical sense". I won't repeat myself here.

Risk does have various definitions. I've explained why I'm referring to it as variance. Otherwise risk for an individual asset may be the factor premia associated with that asset (since stocks are essentially discounted future cash flows the factors are usually unexpected inflation, industrial output index etc.). You make quite an outrageous statement:

Show nested quote +
If I gave you a bet with a 90% chance of doubling your money; a 5% chance of losing half; and a 5% chance of not gaining or losing anything; the correct response is to put ANY AND ALL your money into this bet, over and over and over again. That's what risk is, and what risk management should be from the investor's standpoint--a series of expected return calculations based on the potential for permanent capital loss/gain, not on relative correlation and the magnitude of price movements.


Have you never heard of the St. Petersburg Paradox? One of the oldest insights in Economics is that people want to maximize the expected utility from gambling - people don't just look at the expected value of a gamble.

Furthermore, you're encouraging people to only consider the expected value. Higher moments matter to investors, at the very least the variance of any asset. Forget about CAPM or APT, idiosyncratic or systemic risk but an asset's historical volatility. Are you honestly saying if a stock with an expected return of 10% is better for everyone and you should invest everything into if the only other asset in the world gives an expected return of 5%? If you consider the variance then the 10% expected return asset may have a variance of 20%, while the 5% expected return asset has a variance of 5%. Which asset someone chooses depends on his appetite for bearing higher variance as risk. Mean and variance are only the first two moments - higher moments matter.

Show nested quote +
--you have control over when you sell, so you can hold out for the long run and ignore the short run.


I'll take this to mean you do know there's a stochastic component to stock price movement (because it's not at all clear from everything else you've said). Everything links together: the need for portfolio diversification to smooth consumption means you can't always hold onto stocks forever. Plus, I'll add in Shiller's favorite example that stock markets don't always rise indefinitely over long periods of time: the Nikkei.

I have never said the theories I have mentioned are perfect. But I consider them more informative for investing than the basic advice of looking at the expected value of a stock by reading the company balance sheet. Indeed, considering equity based performance measures has its own share of problems, e.g. a firm that increases it's leverage and changes its Debt-Equity ratio lowers its EPS but raises its P/E ratio or that you should consider the measurements for all companies within that sector but different firms have different D/E values (thus different equity Betas) although admittedly within a sector the variation is low, so an approximation is quite possible. However, I'm sure you see my point.

I read that you started out as a Investment Banker, which I'm guessing explains your focus on looking at balance sheets. And probably explains why I talk from a more financial perspective.

I spent a while trying to think of how to respond to you. I wanted to address your argument point by point, especially because you have a tendency to talk down to people;
Have you never heard of the St. Petersburg Paradox? One of the oldest insights in Economics

I'll take this to mean you do know there's a stochastic component to stock price movement (because it's not at all clear from everything else you've said).

it would have felt pretty good to shut you down. But I realized that outside of satisfying my ego, that wouldn't have accomplished anything except to clutter this thread up even further.

You're obviously a well-read guy, and my posts on the internet aren't going to change years of indoctrination that your financial models and assumptions make sense. Do you know how I know this?

Because this statement is false:
I read that you started out as a Investment Banker, which I'm guessing explains your focus on looking at balance sheets. And probably explains why I talk from a more financial perspective.

I started out in a university finance class, which is where I assume you are now. You're not talking from a more "financial" perspective, you're talking from a more "academic" perspective. And I started there too, because the first things I learned about investing came from my professor's mouth, which in turn came from Fama, Miller, Markowitz, Sharp, Scholes, Black (look I can name-drop too!). But you know what's interesting? Every single one of those guys has something profound and interesting to say about investing, and yet, not a single one of them was able to turn that into real-world investing success. If you, "Milton Friedman", can tell me why these esteemed intellects failed where you assume you can succeed, I'll delete this guide and let everybody know that your academic theories have invalidated fundamental analysis.

But I don't think that's going to happen.

My purpose is simple: I don't care to win an internet debate; I don't have my ego invested in my id, "kewlsunman". I do, however, want to provide useful, understandable knowledge to a heterogeneous community. I read through your post and I can't help but feel that for all your intelligence and apparent knowledge of financial theories and models, you've never actually gone out and invested yours or anybody else's money for a significant period of time.
If you're 100% in equity and due to unfavorable market conditions your portfolio is doing badly then you're taking a hit in your income. I think it's intuitive that people like to smooth consumption through time (to some extent) and that implies smoothing portfolio returns through time.

Also, most models do account for the leverage effect. There's a lot of literature showing how squared returns are correlated. This empirical fact then allows a prediction of which direction the market may move tomorrow.

I was challenged about my claim that CAPM is a special case of APT and there was some surprising comment about how CAPM is empirically more sound than APT. I disputed this and discussed the empirical literature to back up my claim.

Those statements are made by someone who enjoys debating academic theories, ideas, and abstractions, but not someone who has ever made a living handling his own or other people's money. I have, and the people I know have, and everybody in this industry who I've ever met, talked to, or heard of has had to completely erase everything they learned in university before they started working with real money.

There's only been one academic to ever be successful in the real market handling real money and that was Benjamin Graham. Show me one of your finance professors who can live up to that standard and I'll show you someone who no longer believes what he teaches.
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
June 10 2009 22:30 GMT
#114
Thank you so much for this guide, it is a pleasure to read it and I'm learning a lot I don't understand why more people don't appreciate this.
Dametri
Profile Joined September 2005
United States726 Posts
June 11 2009 02:44 GMT
#115
Extremely informative. Your writing style is utterly fluent and delightfully easy to read; if you wrote a book I would probably buy it.
i once had sex with a dog,twice -z7-TranCe
Elric
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1327 Posts
June 11 2009 06:24 GMT
#116
Thanks for the guide. It's really clear and informative~ Hope you get your key~~ : ]
Liquid`Spy
Profile Joined October 2002
Netherlands1301 Posts
June 11 2009 09:02 GMT
#117
Great guide. I read it all up to the business analysis of ATVI and skimmed the rest after that. It helped me understand more of basic market and stockmarketing principles about which I knew very little before, so thanks for that!
Im a spy in the house of love
pyrogenetix
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
China5098 Posts
June 11 2009 09:13 GMT
#118
niceeee
Yea that looks just like Kang Min... amazing game sense... and uses mind games well, but has the micro of a washed up progamer.
Milton Friedman
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
98 Posts
June 12 2009 01:04 GMT
#119
As I've stated before: volatility is correlated. If you don't use historic data to take advantage of this fact when making financial decisions then how are you going incorporate it in analysis? I don't believe the correct response is to ignore volatility. Anyway, this volatility discussion is at an impasse; I'll leave it be.

I like academic literature because respected publications tend to have controlled for various factors when making their analysis. To simply go by anecdotal evidence is too easily subject to myopia about the situation. Also, I wasn't invalidating "fundamental analysis" or asking you to delete the guide. In my second post (I think) in this thread I said at the end it would've been nice for you to have taken the basic analysis further by reducing the amount you wrote on who should be an investor and the introduction, since I felt those areas didn't provide much insight into investing and came across as more journalistic. What then got debated was the validity of CAPM, APT, volatility etc. In fact, I was the one who had to defend these theories from being invalidated by you.

Clearly these things won't get added since you don't even agree with them so we're done.
intruding
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
157 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-12 17:08:46
June 12 2009 09:33 GMT
#120
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2560
Hyuk 289
Shinee 80
Hyun 68
Killer 61
ggaemo 54
Hm[arnc] 53
Snow 45
sorry 40
Bale 36
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 29
Bonyth 16
JYJ 11
League of Legends
JimRising 593
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King111
Other Games
summit1g7844
ArmadaUGS79
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick756
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream202
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2342
League of Legends
• Lourlo1489
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 31m
INu's Battles
3h 31m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 31m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 31m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 31m
Replay Cast
14h 31m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.