• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:11
CEST 13:11
KST 20:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11558 users

How to grow taller? - Page 14

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 Next All
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
September 04 2008 20:33 GMT
#261
On September 05 2008 05:18 travis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2008 04:35 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
How the hell can someone argue that a source doesn't have to be credible? You fucking kidding me? I could declare right now that I know for a fact that rat milk is 500% more healthy for you than daily exercise with my source being a leprekaun. Of fucking course the credibility of a source matters holy shit.


Show nested quote +
On September 05 2008 04:41 Hawk wrote:
Writers who constantly deemed credible can't have their works taken at face value, and it's certainly not worth investigating into whether or not they're right. I've agreed with inc, what has become of meeeee

edit: do a quick google of John Rense and you'll see he isn't worth the time..



Do you guys know what the word credible means?

And what the phrase has to be means?


Part of the reason people are so closeminded is because they are also so closeminded about the sources they get information from.


Oh rofl.. sorry we assumed you weren't be a literal nit-picking asshat who goes beyond implication and strictly only means what is actually said. You are right. There is no law against less than reputable sources and their credibility. You literally are correct. It doesn't have to be credible for it to be a source. Jesus, thank god we cleared that up.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
September 04 2008 20:36 GMT
#262
On September 05 2008 05:27 Thrill wrote:
Just for the sake of trolling then, what people beside nordic do you propose are greater?

When actually thinking about it, i can come up with far less negative things about nordic people than any other, i mean - purely speaking from prejudice. So from an outside perspective i'd say yes - greatest per capita indeed. Inside? Wouldn't know until i've spent more time actually living and less time as a tourist abroad.


I just spent a year studying the middle east. I can without a doubt say I hate that region more than I do the nordic one. I'm ethnocentric btw.

In saudi arabia there is no women's suffrage. It is also illegal for them to drive. When a dutch newspaper depicts Muhammed in a disrespectful way they (islamic countries, moving away from strictly saudi arabia now) have riots that kill 100's of people and promise more to come. Genocide, ethnic cleansing, tolerable rape etc..
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-04 20:48:40
September 04 2008 20:39 GMT
#263
So we should not do our best to be literal in our discussions?

And I do not believe the point I made to be insignificant.

Credibility is largely(perhaps mostly) defined by the status quo - and this is part of the reason paradigm shifts happen so, so slowly - they don't happen until they are completely forced - even when the truth is blatantly obvious to freethinking people.


Being cynical and sarcastic does nothing to make one of us more right or more wrong, and it does nothing to help further understanding on either side.


Although I will admit it can often be amusing.
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-04 20:50:40
September 04 2008 20:49 GMT
#264
On September 05 2008 05:36 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2008 05:27 Thrill wrote:
Just for the sake of trolling then, what people beside nordic do you propose are greater?

When actually thinking about it, i can come up with far less negative things about nordic people than any other, i mean - purely speaking from prejudice. So from an outside perspective i'd say yes - greatest per capita indeed. Inside? Wouldn't know until i've spent more time actually living and less time as a tourist abroad.


I just spent a year studying the middle east. I can without a doubt say I hate that region more than I do the nordic one. I'm ethnocentric btw.

In saudi arabia there is no women's suffrage. It is also illegal for them to drive. When a dutch newspaper depicts Muhammed in a disrespectful way they (islamic countries, moving away from strictly saudi arabia now) have riots that kill 100's of people and promise more to come. Genocide, ethnic cleansing, tolerable rape etc..


Yep, definitley - i discriminate and "rank" greatness as well. Disclaimer: no, i don't believe this is gene determined, only an idiot would. That's why it's a little interesting for me to hear what others rank as 'greatest'? Perhaps it's simply so that we all rank ourselves as greatest which does make things a bit boring in this case. Hmm, so, ok:

I'm nordic, if i am to pick "the greatest people" outside of the nordic countries, i would have to choose the Brittish main island. This is not an easy choice however and one i've pondered a LOT as i've concidered med school abroad possibly followed by a working life there. Currently i havn't been able to find a choice better than staying put.

But i'm always interested to get input and opinions that may lead to me looking more closely into new options which turn out to be true eye-openers.

But really - inside my own international circle, we've all pretty much arrived at the conclusion that if your native country is suddenly blown up, a nordic country seems pretty damn appealing as a homeland, especially due to the people.

Faced with the same question - if the US suddenly dissapeared, where would you go? It's quite an interesting scenario which forces a lot of thinking, at least for me.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 04 2008 20:52 GMT
#265
If I was to move I would consider:

Switzerland, France, New Zealand.
kemoryan
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Spain1506 Posts
September 04 2008 21:03 GMT
#266
On September 05 2008 04:35 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
How the hell can someone argue that a source doesn't have to be credible? You fucking kidding me? I could declare right now that I know for a fact that rat milk is 500% more healthy for you than daily exercise with my source being a leprekaun. Of fucking course the credibility of a source matters holy shit.


No I'm not kidding you. Denying what somone says because of how/what he is a known fallacy called Ad Hominem. You should learn basic syllogistic logic before trying to argue anything.

On September 05 2008 04:31 travis wrote:

Only if you aren't willing to investigate the truth of the words for yourself.


He said it himself.
Freedom is a stranger
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
September 04 2008 21:25 GMT
#267
Thrill: I would move to Canada. Great country, very close in climate etc.

Travis: Of course there is room for literal interpretations. But it is often said that those that can determine when interpretation calls for a literal or figurative translation are probably more intelligent. You tried to nit-pick the fucking point as if it needed to be determined that there is no law mandating the physical impossibility of a less-than "credible" source existing.

kemoryan: The broken english in your post difuses any chance of a coherent thought being pulled from that. "How/what he is" doesn't make any sense. Especially given the conversation. And stop with the assumptions, like that I hadn't studied something. Ironically that assertion IS a logical fallacy so before you can presume to preach it I suggest you learn it bitch.

UnitarySpace
Profile Joined November 2007
United States61 Posts
September 04 2008 21:28 GMT
#268
Ad Hominem only applies when there is an argument being made, i.e. when there is just logic involved. Credibility enters into play when you begin to talk about purported facts or information, in which case the source certainly matters.
Huh?
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 04 2008 21:32 GMT
#269
On September 05 2008 06:25 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Travis: Of course there is room for literal interpretations. But it is often said that those that can determine when interpretation calls for a literal or figurative translation are probably more intelligent.


Is this supposed to be a reply to:

"So we should not do our best to be literal in our discussions?"?

Because it certainly does not address that question.


For the sake of humoring you, let's put the original statement into a figurative context, so that

"has to be" is now "ought to be"


Has any point I made changed whatsoever?


You tried to nit-pick the fucking point as if it needed to be determined that there is no law mandating the physical impossibility of a less-than "credible" source existing.


Nit-pick what point?

I was attempting to illustrate my own point.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 04 2008 21:35 GMT
#270
On September 05 2008 06:28 UnitarySpace wrote:
Ad Hominem only applies when there is an argument being made, i.e. when there is just logic involved. Credibility enters into play when you begin to talk about purported facts or information, in which case the source certainly matters.



Are you suggesting that the credibility of a source is not a subject of debate in of itself?
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
September 04 2008 21:36 GMT
#271
Oh ok Travis.. you were LITERALLY asking me if I knew what credible means or "has" means? Sorry, I was confusing you with a nit-picking asshat.. guess I had it wrong.
UnitarySpace
Profile Joined November 2007
United States61 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-04 21:41:31
September 04 2008 21:37 GMT
#272
Somebody used Ad Hominem incorrectly so I corrected it. I have no idea what anybody is talking about here.
Huh?
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
September 04 2008 21:37 GMT
#273
I originally typed "US & Canada disapeared" in my post, but edited it out as yeah - it's a bit silly. However i feel it's the 'safe' choice, a little like choosing Austria if you live in Germany. I also don't agree with them (the canadians) still allowing spanking of children but other than that i only have nitpicking to throw at 'em. Yeah - Canada and many states are great choices indeed.

But if we remove them? :p Just for the sake of argument.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
September 04 2008 21:47 GMT
#274
Australia, Britain, Germany or Italy are all fine choices imo.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
September 04 2008 21:51 GMT
#275
Interesting subject with spanking btw.. that could be it's own thread/blog.. presonally I think the government has no right to ban "spanking" since the definition of spanking is so blurry and the implications of the government dictating parental roles is dangerous. Obviously it stops being "spanking" if you injure or harm the child severely.. but the common use of spanking has its place.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 04 2008 21:51 GMT
#276
On September 05 2008 06:36 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Oh ok Travis.. you were LITERALLY asking me if I knew what credible means or "has" means? Sorry, I was confusing you with a nit-picking asshat.. guess I had it wrong.


As I said, I was illustrating a point.

So yes, I was literally asking you.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 04 2008 21:52 GMT
#277
On September 05 2008 06:37 UnitarySpace wrote:
Somebody used Ad Hominem incorrectly so I corrected it. I have no idea what anybody is talking about here.


fair enough
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
September 04 2008 22:06 GMT
#278
On September 05 2008 06:51 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Interesting subject with spanking btw.. that could be it's own thread/blog.. presonally I think the government has no right to ban "spanking" since the definition of spanking is so blurry and the implications of the government dictating parental roles is dangerous. Obviously it stops being "spanking" if you injure or harm the child severely.. but the common use of spanking has its place.


Well, i'm not sure if teachers are allowed to carry out corporal punishments in which case i strongly oppose the legislation, if limited to parents it's 'better' and doesn't necessarily have to be illegal.

Just saying that to clarify my position without thread hijacking (whatever's left of this thread. Got milk?).
AngryGoliath
Profile Joined August 2008
United States32 Posts
September 04 2008 22:40 GMT
#279
The dissatisfaction you feel with yourself has more to do with your character than your height. Even if you do grow a few inches, you're probably still going to feel dissatisfied. Even strong, attractive 6'6" men are likely to be dissatisfied with something or other about themselves. If your desire to be tall were to be immediately fulfilled, you would find that your attention would redirect itself to something other than your height, i.e. you would then be likely to feel preoccupied about your phsysiognomy, or your intelligence or talents - or lack thereof.

I'm 5'11", and ever since I fully discovered around the age of 18 that the world is pervaded by arrogance, stupidity, and shallowness, I've often felt discontent with my height, since all that is contemptible about the common masses of filth in our society nevertheless tends to rub off even on those of the most noble dispositions. So in all honesty, it is quite difficult not to be preoccupied in the least with the superficialities of life, but if you consider the amount of people in the world who suffer from poverty, physical and mental diseases, and even things like starvation in places such as Africa, your suffering over such a trivial thing as your height then shows itself for what it truly is: mere vanity.
kemoryan
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Spain1506 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-04 22:59:59
September 04 2008 22:52 GMT
#280
On September 05 2008 06:28 UnitarySpace wrote:
Ad Hominem only applies when there is an argument being made, i.e. when there is just logic involved. Credibility enters into play when you begin to talk about purported facts or information, in which case the source certainly matters.


On September 05 2008 06:37 UnitarySpace wrote:
Somebody used Ad Hominem incorrectly so I corrected it. I have no idea what anybody is talking about here.


Actually I wasn't using it incorrectly.

From wikipedia:

"The syllogism is at the core of deductive reasoning, where facts are determined by combining existing statements."

And:

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim."

So ad hominem is not used only when pure logic is involved. That's their deductive reasoning:

1. Source has no credibility.

2. Thus content is bullshit. (Factual claim)


On September 05 2008 06:25 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
kemoryan: The broken english in your post difuses any chance of a coherent thought being pulled from that. "How/what he is" doesn't make any sense. Especially given the conversation. And stop with the assumptions, like that I hadn't studied something. Ironically that assertion IS a logical fallacy so before you can presume to preach it I suggest you learn it bitch.


Sorry if its so difficult to understand, english is my third language and I do what I can. But yeah, I really messed up that post when I edited it.
Freedom is a stranger
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings98
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko172
ProTech129
SHIN 59
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 6878
Hyuk 1159
Mind 944
Shuttle 863
Bisu 857
Larva 665
Mini 188
firebathero 154
EffOrt 128
Soma 123
[ Show more ]
Last 109
Leta 105
Zeus 84
Hyun 74
ZerO 66
Pusan 61
sorry 47
Hm[arnc] 40
Sexy 40
PianO 39
Killer 33
Bale 32
ToSsGirL 31
Trap 27
Aegong 21
hero 16
yabsab 15
JulyZerg 8
Noble 7
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe677
XaKoH 465
Dendi115
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1468
Other Games
gofns29871
singsing2245
B2W.Neo375
crisheroes302
OGKoka 175
Mew2King96
ArmadaUGS53
DeMusliM51
Livibee48
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream190
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 65
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
• Gemini_19 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7318
League of Legends
• Jankos1572
Other Games
• WagamamaTV41
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 49m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 49m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 49m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 49m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.