• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:59
CEST 03:59
KST 10:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8391 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 1882

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 5997 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-10 23:40:12
November 10 2019 23:37 GMT
#37621
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 03:19 Simberto wrote:
I always find it weird how people who support the republicans never seem to see the massive, obvious hypocrisy. In so many situations, if you just turn around which side of the spectrum actors are on and leave all other factors identical, their response shifts by 180°.

The only real explanations for this are either stupidity or acting in bad faith. I cannot think of any other.


To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger by abusing the office of the President in a similar way. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24377 Posts
November 10 2019 23:46 GMT
#37622
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 03:19 Simberto wrote:
I always find it weird how people who support the republicans never seem to see the massive, obvious hypocrisy. In so many situations, if you just turn around which side of the spectrum actors are on and leave all other factors identical, their response shifts by 180°.

The only real explanations for this are either stupidity or acting in bad faith. I cannot think of any other.


To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Show nested quote +
Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
November 10 2019 23:53 GMT
#37623
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 03:19 Simberto wrote:
I always find it weird how people who support the republicans never seem to see the massive, obvious hypocrisy. In so many situations, if you just turn around which side of the spectrum actors are on and leave all other factors identical, their response shifts by 180°.

The only real explanations for this are either stupidity or acting in bad faith. I cannot think of any other.


To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.

The equivalent for Charlotte would be if the Ukranians wanted to investigate it and Trump was holding up funding to stop them from doing it.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-10 23:56:31
November 10 2019 23:55 GMT
#37624
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

It's actually just not.
Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests.

Yes, doing things in the "national interest" will potentially make a president look better in the eyes of the public and therefore serve their political interests. This is not in any sense the same as what Trump has done in this instance.
So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion.

This is directly opposed to what I said. Trump using the office for his own direct personal/political benefit is a central part of the problem.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24377 Posts
November 11 2019 00:10 GMT
#37625
On November 11 2019 08:55 Aquanim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

It's actually just not.
Show nested quote +
Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests.

Yes, doing things in the "national interest" will potentially make a president look better in the eyes of the public and therefore serve their political interests. This is not in any sense the same as what Trump has done in this instance.
Show nested quote +
So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion.

This is directly opposed to what I said. Trump using the office for his own direct personal/political benefit is a central part of the problem.


The distinction Democrats make between something like Trump moving the embassy in Israel and the bribery/extortion/corruption lobbying involved with that (or the countless other situations like this under every administration) and Trump's pressuring Ukraine to put something together on Hunter Biden's scam job is emblematic of the same kinda "stupidity or acting in bad faith." Simberto sees in Republicans for me with Democrats.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-11 00:19:12
November 11 2019 00:15 GMT
#37626
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 03:19 Simberto wrote:
I always find it weird how people who support the republicans never seem to see the massive, obvious hypocrisy. In so many situations, if you just turn around which side of the spectrum actors are on and leave all other factors identical, their response shifts by 180°.

The only real explanations for this are either stupidity or acting in bad faith. I cannot think of any other.


To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.



Extortions and bribe are done every day in international politics. While dirty, these are "legal". Usually they benefit a country. Ex: we bail you out if you let us buy your biggest port (china/greece) etc etc.

In this case :
1) Trump does not get to decide who gets or not the money that was voted by congress. He does not have a veto power. Republicans argue this is not new.
2) what has biden's son done? (Even allegedly...)
3) It was not to benefit his country, but for unverified, already debunked by his own executive agencies, conspiracy theories, for negative exposure (just exposure, not even indictment. Je just wants the "he is being investigated so he is corrupt" punchline, which he rejects when it applies to him) of his political opponent.

Corrupt intent. It has everything to do with who he asks an investigation of, and if there is probable cause (there is not, confirmed by his admin AND ukrainian prosecutors who himself fed the bullshit theory). As there is no probable cause nor existing indictment, you cannot just bring a random citizen to testify about... What? He got a high paying job questionably? His name helped him get the job? Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


As much as I hated the embassy move and its reasons, it's not illegal, not for naked personal gain, and somewhat of a campaign promise, so you could argue it's the will of the people, so he was not dishonoring his pledge. (On the Netanyahou side though... Just before election.. and other announcement... You could argue Trump interfered in their politics. That's for them to decide)
NoiR
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24377 Posts
November 11 2019 00:18 GMT
#37627
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 03:19 Simberto wrote:
I always find it weird how people who support the republicans never seem to see the massive, obvious hypocrisy. In so many situations, if you just turn around which side of the spectrum actors are on and leave all other factors identical, their response shifts by 180°.

The only real explanations for this are either stupidity or acting in bad faith. I cannot think of any other.


To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
November 11 2019 00:20 GMT
#37628
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
3) It was not to benefit his country, but for unverified, already debunked by his own executive agencies, conspiracy theories, for negative exposure (just exposure, not even indictment. Je just wants the "he is being investigated so he is corrupt" punchline, which he rejects when it applies to him) of his political opponent.
...
As much as I hated the embassy move and its reasons, it's not illegal, not for naked personal gain, and somewhat of a campaign promise, so you could argue it's the will of the people, so he was not dishonoring his pledge. (On the Netanyahou side though... Just before election.. and other announcement... You could argue Trump interfered in their politics. That's for them to decide)

I was going to write a post but this pretty much covers it.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-11 00:40:08
November 11 2019 00:39 GMT
#37629
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 03:19 Simberto wrote:
I always find it weird how people who support the republicans never seem to see the massive, obvious hypocrisy. In so many situations, if you just turn around which side of the spectrum actors are on and leave all other factors identical, their response shifts by 180°.

The only real explanations for this are either stupidity or acting in bad faith. I cannot think of any other.


To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.
NoiR
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24377 Posts
November 11 2019 00:58 GMT
#37630
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.


As I said;

The distinction Democrats make between something like Trump moving the embassy in Israel and the bribery/extortion/corruption lobbying involved with that (or the countless other situations like this under every administration) and Trump's pressuring Ukraine to put something together on Hunter Biden's scam job is emblematic of the same kinda "stupidity or acting in bad faith." Simberto sees in Republicans for me with Democrats.


When you say:

you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.


I see the same bad faith defense of corruption people constantly talk about with Republicans and why Democrats can't see this is a dud politically.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
November 11 2019 10:26 GMT
#37631
On November 11 2019 09:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
[quote]
If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.


As I said;

Show nested quote +
The distinction Democrats make between something like Trump moving the embassy in Israel and the bribery/extortion/corruption lobbying involved with that (or the countless other situations like this under every administration) and Trump's pressuring Ukraine to put something together on Hunter Biden's scam job is emblematic of the same kinda "stupidity or acting in bad faith." Simberto sees in Republicans for me with Democrats.


When you say:

Show nested quote +
you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.


I see the same bad faith defense of corruption people constantly talk about with Republicans and why Democrats can't see this is a dud politically.


Not sure I see the 'dud politically' angle.

Yes there's corruption involved in this nonsense, but politics everywhere involves a degree of hypocrisy and functions based on it, and people accept it. So long as everyone sings the same song, agrees tacitly that this bit of hypocrisy is part of the system, politically it works fine.

The line in the sand doesn't need to be logical to be adhered to on the political level.
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
November 11 2019 13:20 GMT
#37632
There's a big difference between taking advantage of personal connections and taking actions that directly threaten democracy. Whatever you think Hunter Biden is guilty of GH (it isn't too clear), one is someone who isn't a politician doing anything particularily harmful to society, and the other is the president of USA using the US Government to attack political rivals.

And no, all rich people on board of directors and their families should not be put in jail, just because you wnt them to. I can't believe you even think this is appropriate.
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
November 11 2019 13:47 GMT
#37633
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

To that point, if it wasn't Hunter Biden but Charlotte Pence in the identical situation Democrats wouldn't be trying to impeach Trump for it.

If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.

You expect any law to be upheld against those who facilitates and funds its upholders?

In general, law works well to moderate undesirable behaviour, but it is entirely impotent when it comes to dealing with the wealthy and connected.

To fix the law, you first need to fix the potential for individual power and the leverage it allows.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
November 11 2019 13:53 GMT
#37634
I’m not entirely clear on GH’s stance on the Trump/Biden thing but I can definitely get behind him on the jail the rich ticket.

Although him getting my vote is rather unlikely, me being over here and whatnot. I assume you’ll have to run as an Independent GH? Doesn’t seem a goer with the big two anyway
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
ZerOCoolSC2
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
9068 Posts
November 11 2019 13:58 GMT
#37635
On November 11 2019 22:53 Wombat_NI wrote:
I’m not entirely clear on GH’s stance on the Trump/Biden thing but I can definitely get behind him on the jail the rich ticket.

Although him getting my vote is rather unlikely, me being over here and whatnot. I assume you’ll have to run as an Independent GH? Doesn’t seem a goer with the big two anyway

You can jail people for using their wealth and connection for nefarious reasons, but to arrest them simply for having money is absurd. Wealth redistribution needs to occur, but it's a fool's errand to even contemplate jail time for simply having money.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
November 11 2019 14:03 GMT
#37636
On November 11 2019 22:47 plated.rawr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:46 Aquanim wrote:
[quote]
If Trump was pulling strings to get Charlotte Pence investigated, the case that he was using the office of the President for his own personal political gain would be far more tenuous.

+ Show Spoiler +
In fact I don't see how it would personally benefit him at all. Which is why he wouldn't do it.


Saying that the Democrats would not investigate him for such a thing does not seem like a good example of hypocrisy or partisanship.


So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.

You expect any law to be upheld against those who facilitates and funds its upholders?

In general, law works well to moderate undesirable behaviour, but it is entirely impotent when it comes to dealing with the wealthy and connected.

To fix the law, you first need to fix the potential for individual power and the leverage it allows.

Which is the crux of the issue really, and a rather intractable one at that.

If the US political system constituted two different wings of policy/general ideologies around a shared pillar of civic duty and what have you, then it could navigate these issues better.

When it sits atop a population that is actively tribal and a media culture that fuels and actively thrives on stoking those fires it becomes exceptionally difficult.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12175 Posts
November 11 2019 14:53 GMT
#37637
On November 11 2019 23:03 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 22:47 plated.rawr wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 07:58 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

So it's not the bribing/extortion that's the problem, it's who it benefited and you don't see the hypocrisy or partisanship... okay

I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.

You expect any law to be upheld against those who facilitates and funds its upholders?

In general, law works well to moderate undesirable behaviour, but it is entirely impotent when it comes to dealing with the wealthy and connected.

To fix the law, you first need to fix the potential for individual power and the leverage it allows.

Which is the crux of the issue really, and a rather intractable one at that.

If the US political system constituted two different wings of policy/general ideologies around a shared pillar of civic duty and what have you, then it could navigate these issues better.

When it sits atop a population that is actively tribal and a media culture that fuels and actively thrives on stoking those fires it becomes exceptionally difficult.


FPTP breeds tribalism if pushed too far as well. If you were forced into coalition governments all the time it would be harder to hide any shady doings and it would allow a political spectrum to emerge. Currently you have pro rich people and companies on both sides. Then one side is against environment and people's rights, the other somewhat cares about them.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
November 11 2019 15:26 GMT
#37638
On November 11 2019 23:53 Yurie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 23:03 Wombat_NI wrote:
On November 11 2019 22:47 plated.rawr wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
[quote]
I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.

You expect any law to be upheld against those who facilitates and funds its upholders?

In general, law works well to moderate undesirable behaviour, but it is entirely impotent when it comes to dealing with the wealthy and connected.

To fix the law, you first need to fix the potential for individual power and the leverage it allows.

Which is the crux of the issue really, and a rather intractable one at that.

If the US political system constituted two different wings of policy/general ideologies around a shared pillar of civic duty and what have you, then it could navigate these issues better.

When it sits atop a population that is actively tribal and a media culture that fuels and actively thrives on stoking those fires it becomes exceptionally difficult.


FPTP breeds tribalism if pushed too far as well. If you were forced into coalition governments all the time it would be harder to hide any shady doings and it would allow a political spectrum to emerge. Currently you have pro rich people and companies on both sides. Then one side is against environment and people's rights, the other somewhat cares about them.

They would need to change the constitution for that. You need 2/3rd of Congress. So any party in power at that time would never relinquish that power. Won't happen. The best chance is when a party, over decades, changes things little by little, like the push in states to remove the electoral college. But changing the party structuring ? good luck.
NoiR
mikedebo
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada4341 Posts
November 11 2019 17:12 GMT
#37639
Did anyone here read Trick Mirror? I just finished it, and I feel like it articulated so many things I've been feeling so well that I'm sort of shaken by the experience.
I NEED A PHOTOSYNTHESIS! ||| 'airtoss' is an anagram of 'artosis' ||| SANGHOOOOOO ||| "No Korea? No problem. I have internet." -- Stardust
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
November 11 2019 23:07 GMT
#37640
On November 11 2019 23:53 Yurie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2019 23:03 Wombat_NI wrote:
On November 11 2019 22:47 plated.rawr wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:39 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 09:15 Nouar wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:37 Aquanim wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
On November 11 2019 08:17 Aquanim wrote:
[quote]
I would probably still find some of the details of how this went down problematic if Trump was trying to get some random pleb or somebody on his own side investigated.

But yes, the fact that Trump was using the office for his own personal gain as opposed to your hypothetical situation where he would not personally gain anything does make a difference. I'm not sure what your difficulty with that is.

EDIT: I am finding this hypothetical situation a little difficult to come to grips with simply because the notion of Trump pulling strings to get a Pence investigated is so obviously ludicrous.


Really that hard for you to imagine Trump believing Pence has machinations to replace him and wanting leverage on Pence to prevent it?

It's still pretty hard to believe... but in the hypothetical case where that happened, I reckon Democrats would probably still try to sink Trump with it (after all, the potential for blowback on them goes down considerably if the Bidens aren't in the picture). Perhaps less enthusiastically... but they'd probably be getting more help from the Republicans, too.

An actually believable chain of events would be Trump looking for dirt on the family of a hypothetical primary challenger. Which I think would probably also get him impeached (again with less enthusiasm from the Democrats, but probably a lot more from Republicans).

Obviously doing things in the "national interest" are also in his personal and political interests. So it's not that he was benefiting personally/politically for bribery/extortion. It's the ratio calculated by partisans of the national interest in confronting the kinda corruption Hunter Biden was engaged in and a Biden presidency would open up vs the personal/political benefit Trump would gain from it.

I can't even engage with this without buying into your worldview so I think I'm just gonna not.


Other than the quotations around national interest, that has nothing to do with my worldview and is merely a summary of the positions I've seen articulated here and supported by the rest of your post.

If Trump had done the extortion/bribe for something more traditionally bipartisan but definitively more horrific there would be no impeachment attempt for it.

...

Ok put all rich people on administration boards and their families in jail.


Now you're speaking my language


As much as I'd like to sometimes, it's not realistic, you shouldn't arrest people who have not broken the Law. Even if you wish it, you cannot expect the Dems to do it and call them hypocritical if they don't (in this specific case). Change the Law first.

You expect any law to be upheld against those who facilitates and funds its upholders?

In general, law works well to moderate undesirable behaviour, but it is entirely impotent when it comes to dealing with the wealthy and connected.

To fix the law, you first need to fix the potential for individual power and the leverage it allows.

Which is the crux of the issue really, and a rather intractable one at that.

If the US political system constituted two different wings of policy/general ideologies around a shared pillar of civic duty and what have you, then it could navigate these issues better.

When it sits atop a population that is actively tribal and a media culture that fuels and actively thrives on stoking those fires it becomes exceptionally difficult.


FPTP breeds tribalism if pushed too far as well. If you were forced into coalition governments all the time it would be harder to hide any shady doings and it would allow a political spectrum to emerge. Currently you have pro rich people and companies on both sides. Then one side is against environment and people's rights, the other somewhat cares about them.

Tribes breed tribalism IMO, systems can mitigate to some degree but it’s something that flows upwards from the base.

The Northern Irish assembly isn’t FPTP, there is enforced power sharing and the political climate is so toxic it doesn’t even sit.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 5997 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings94
davetesta34
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 290
WinterStarcraft221
RuFF_SC2 114
CosmosSc2 77
ViBE61
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2233
GuemChi 1380
Artosis 585
910 52
MaD[AoV]20
Bale 16
Sharp 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever360
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 556
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox711
Other Games
summit1g9162
Day[9].tv775
shahzam656
JimRising 629
C9.Mang0367
Trikslyr28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick731
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP44
• EnkiAlexander 37
• Hinosc 6
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv775
• Shiphtur645
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
14h 1m
The PondCast
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 9h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 20h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.