• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:28
CEST 05:28
KST 12:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6571 users

If you're seeing this topic then another mass shooting hap…

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 767 768 769 770 771 891 Next
Although this thread does not function under the same strict guidelines as the USPMT, it is still a general practice on TL to provide a source with an explanation on why it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion. Failure to do so will result in a mod action.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-30 03:42:41
August 30 2018 03:41 GMT
#15361
Technically you are right that you called the argument, not the people, "so fucking stupid and failed." I think it's hard for someone being told their argument is 'so fucking stupid' to not think the accusation of stupidity is also directed at them, but indeed you are technically correct.

Your assertion that I accused you of saying sarcastic things is not correct. You said "why not try sarcasm" which is what I was responding to, recognizing that several other users have been super sarcastic in the past day or so (I do need to acknowledge you are not responsible for the sarcasm used by others).

For "How is 'countless deaths' hyperbole?" I'll let the reader decide if it is or not.

I have no problem with your position that you are not going to identify every position of gun rights activists/debaters, and I agree that's not really possible. But note that you said, "the only response that gun culture offers is..."

I maintain that your example of the stand your ground debacle in Florida isn't really supporting (or disproving) your overall thesis. There are much better examples.

You made a few good counterpoints in your most recent post but there also seemed to be zero acknowledgement that your post gives a whole bunch of low hanging fruit to those who disagree with you and hold the viewpoint that you consider "so fucking stupid." If you agree that we both ultimately want mostly the same things here, then you should also respect the fact that my reason for pointing this out to you is because I think you are harming your own cause. I agree, you do not solely share the blame and I've also done things in the past that, looking back, didn't help. But I suggest you don't summarily dismiss 100% of my post, either.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 30 2018 03:52 GMT
#15362
--- Nuked ---
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-30 04:39:14
August 30 2018 04:38 GMT
#15363
On August 30 2018 12:21 ShambhalaWar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2018 11:28 micronesia wrote:
ShambhalaWar your post is basically a gun nut's wet dream. You...

  1. Call the people you disagree with 'so fucking stupid' right from the getgo, guaranteeing you aren't accomplishing anything in what is supposed to be a discussion thread, and allowing those of conservative gun policy preferences to feel they are superior in this discussion
  2. You suggest that sarcasm might help sway the opposition, even though it's obvious sarcasm never does that and is merely self-serving
  3. You refer to gun deaths as 'countless deaths' which is over-dramatized BS. There are legitimate points you can make about quantities of deaths caused by guns... no need to completely discredit yourself by saying they are countless
  4. You attempt to sum up the entirety of the opposition to your stance with regards to guns... using two examples and leaving others out
  5. You point to a case where some idiot went out of his way to unnecessarily shoot someone and got charged as some proof that defending yourself with a gun is not justified. To be fair, there are some people who think any minor violence against you, regardless of the fact that it was instigated by you, warrants shooting the other person to death. That is not the majority view among those who disagree with you on gun policy.

I get that folks are super frustrated... I am too. But this mocking of those you disagree with and resorting to chains of sarcasm renders the thread useless.


I appreciate your approach, but take 60 minutes away from the thread, then come back and read my post. Nothing in my post was sarcastic, plenty of other posts in this thread are and I support that expression, but you singling me out doesn't feel connected to the words in my post.

And your words don't seem accurate to me.

I never called anyone stupid, I said the argument used by the opposition is stupid. I stand by that. Arming teachers, for example, is a stupid fucking idea.

The situation is ugly and completely fucked up, what do you want me to say about it? It's an ugly thing that's going on with guns in America and using ugly words to describe it isn't crazy or inaccurate. It's ridiculous and murderous... for what?

People with guns want to keep them because they are afraid someone will kill them and it's their "right" to own.... That's the best argument I get from the other side. Yet the more guns on the street increase the chances someone will actually kill them.

Also, the people that are doing these shooting aren't people that don't own guns, the people that do these shootings are the gun owners...

The shooters more often than not own these guns and buy them legally. If people on the others side cared about doing anything to prevent shootings, they would opt/lobby their own side for stricter laws, licenses, etc.. to make sure only responsible people got to arm themselves... In my time on this thread I've never heard any pro-gun person talk like that or ask for those reforms to prevent things like this from happening.

What I get is the immediate diversion to "they are going to take all our guns away."

All I hear is straw men arguments and diversion from real discussion, because at this point the whole thing is so fucked up it's indefensible there is nothing they can say that really makes sense. That's why you saw marco rubio getting reamed out in a stadium standing there studdering like an ass, because there is no logical defense not enacting any law after the MSD shooting, or sandy hook for that matter.

How is "countless deaths" hyperbole? Can you count me the number of gun deaths in the US in that last 10-5 years or even this year alone? I cannot. You can reference statistics... but at what number does it the term "countless" have meaning? 1,000.... 10,000... 100,000? Because you can read a number on a screen associated with many murders doesn't make the term "countless" meaningless or BS.

Those two examples I sited make up the majority of the opposition argument. There are always other arguments, you can create infinite different arguments for almost any viewpoint and run in circles with them, I'm not going to sit here and regurgitate and refute the entire opposition list of arguments, I'll pick a few.

My point with the cnn story was that this person was an example of a "good guy with a gun" who is suppose to be stopping these shootings, but guns for defense aren't always used for that purpose. Also this particular gun owner believe he had the need to defend himself from others, which is something that can be a fear manufactured in the mind, and likely has little to do with actual reality.

This man had a history of aggressive confronting people as if they were going to attack him. You ever hear the saying, "Once you have a hammer everything looks like a nail"? Once you have a gun, everyone looks like a threat. I truly believe that is a legitimate psychological phenomena, and that story illustrated an example of a man who acted on his fears and the story he built in his mind, not on any real threat.

If I'm guilty of something here I would say it's not explaining my points fully, which I have done many times and it has appeared to fall on deaf ears.

So why single me out if we are on the same side? If you are frustrated as well why not voice your own opposition instead of criticize me?

The irony is that he laid out simply and without malice the reasons why you do great harm to your own argument.

If I run across somebody on the street that thinks the opposing arguments are fucking stupid and failed, endorses sarcasm, strawmans the opposition into two camps, and points to a single criminal as some exemplar of how "people" are getting charged, I leave the insufferable troll to his own ignorant rantings. It takes a good Samaritan to actually stop and spend the time to point out the errors within the frustrated ravings.

You may think all the bastards who disagree with you are fucking nuts, but that's more conversation over beers with people that agree with you 90-100% on the issue. Micronesia brings up the great point that you're like a wet dream to gun rights activists. Most of your cooler-headed allies wish arguers like you didn't exist and focus on marginalizing how many share your opinions. See: "nobody wants to take you guns" and "everyone respects your general right to own, carry, and defend yourself lawfully, we just want common sense gun control reform."
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
ShambhalaWar
Profile Joined August 2013
United States930 Posts
August 30 2018 05:34 GMT
#15364
On August 30 2018 12:41 micronesia wrote:
Technically you are right that you called the argument, not the people, "so fucking stupid and failed." I think it's hard for someone being told their argument is 'so fucking stupid' to not think the accusation of stupidity is also directed at them, but indeed you are technically correct.

Your assertion that I accused you of saying sarcastic things is not correct. You said "why not try sarcasm" which is what I was responding to, recognizing that several other users have been super sarcastic in the past day or so (I do need to acknowledge you are not responsible for the sarcasm used by others).

For "How is 'countless deaths' hyperbole?" I'll let the reader decide if it is or not.

I have no problem with your position that you are not going to identify every position of gun rights activists/debaters, and I agree that's not really possible. But note that you said, "the only response that gun culture offers is..."

I maintain that your example of the stand your ground debacle in Florida isn't really supporting (or disproving) your overall thesis. There are much better examples.

You made a few good counterpoints in your most recent post but there also seemed to be zero acknowledgement that your post gives a whole bunch of low hanging fruit to those who disagree with you and hold the viewpoint that you consider "so fucking stupid." If you agree that we both ultimately want mostly the same things here, then you should also respect the fact that my reason for pointing this out to you is because I think you are harming your own cause. I agree, you do not solely share the blame and I've also done things in the past that, looking back, didn't help. But I suggest you don't summarily dismiss 100% of my post, either.


I agree with almost all of what you said here.

But to say I'm a wet dream for a pro gun person is inaccurate. My statements don't provide anything to pro gun arguments, at worst they may offend those people and cause them to shut down to points I've made.

I honestly believe that anyone taking the time to post in this thread is likely fixed in their view and unwilling to really debate and change their mind. This has been my experience.

Danglers in his post here is a great example, he isn't chiming in for a discussion, but more to take a bite of the "low hanging fruit" which he is welcome to.

Read the last 10 pages of posts on this thread, most of it is low hanging fruit in my view. A lot of meandering off topic, people voicing opinions, at lot of emotions couched in "civil" talk, etc... point/counter-point but I'm not sure I see much consideration of other people points and shifting of opinions.

If you feel you have those moments of debate here, more power to you.

You make some assumptions based on my posting, which I think is normal when enough isn't stated about a viewpoint. It seems like you make an assumption that my goal is to sway the opposition, based on my experience here in this forum, I don't think that's possible here.

Most of my share is an emotional vent at how angry I am we will have to do this again in another two weeks or so, and nobody in congress will do anything about it because they are bought out. That is our reality. Statistically the majority of Americans want gun reform but we won't get it for the reason I cited just now.

They fact that Vegas didn't even enact a bump stock ban is beyond fucking insane, I don't understand what kind of civil debate that is suppose to create.

The other part of my post is that sometimes I believe there is value in calling something out for what it is, ugly and murderous. It's foul as fuck... all of this is and has been for a while. I see value to that, you might not and I respect that.

And I do think you made good observations about my posts, while it may not sound like it I appreciate the feedback.
ShambhalaWar
Profile Joined August 2013
United States930 Posts
August 30 2018 05:47 GMT
#15365
On August 30 2018 13:38 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2018 12:21 ShambhalaWar wrote:
On August 30 2018 11:28 micronesia wrote:
ShambhalaWar your post is basically a gun nut's wet dream. You...

  1. Call the people you disagree with 'so fucking stupid' right from the getgo, guaranteeing you aren't accomplishing anything in what is supposed to be a discussion thread, and allowing those of conservative gun policy preferences to feel they are superior in this discussion
  2. You suggest that sarcasm might help sway the opposition, even though it's obvious sarcasm never does that and is merely self-serving
  3. You refer to gun deaths as 'countless deaths' which is over-dramatized BS. There are legitimate points you can make about quantities of deaths caused by guns... no need to completely discredit yourself by saying they are countless
  4. You attempt to sum up the entirety of the opposition to your stance with regards to guns... using two examples and leaving others out
  5. You point to a case where some idiot went out of his way to unnecessarily shoot someone and got charged as some proof that defending yourself with a gun is not justified. To be fair, there are some people who think any minor violence against you, regardless of the fact that it was instigated by you, warrants shooting the other person to death. That is not the majority view among those who disagree with you on gun policy.

I get that folks are super frustrated... I am too. But this mocking of those you disagree with and resorting to chains of sarcasm renders the thread useless.


I appreciate your approach, but take 60 minutes away from the thread, then come back and read my post. Nothing in my post was sarcastic, plenty of other posts in this thread are and I support that expression, but you singling me out doesn't feel connected to the words in my post.

And your words don't seem accurate to me.

I never called anyone stupid, I said the argument used by the opposition is stupid. I stand by that. Arming teachers, for example, is a stupid fucking idea.

The situation is ugly and completely fucked up, what do you want me to say about it? It's an ugly thing that's going on with guns in America and using ugly words to describe it isn't crazy or inaccurate. It's ridiculous and murderous... for what?

People with guns want to keep them because they are afraid someone will kill them and it's their "right" to own.... That's the best argument I get from the other side. Yet the more guns on the street increase the chances someone will actually kill them.

Also, the people that are doing these shooting aren't people that don't own guns, the people that do these shootings are the gun owners...

The shooters more often than not own these guns and buy them legally. If people on the others side cared about doing anything to prevent shootings, they would opt/lobby their own side for stricter laws, licenses, etc.. to make sure only responsible people got to arm themselves... In my time on this thread I've never heard any pro-gun person talk like that or ask for those reforms to prevent things like this from happening.

What I get is the immediate diversion to "they are going to take all our guns away."

All I hear is straw men arguments and diversion from real discussion, because at this point the whole thing is so fucked up it's indefensible there is nothing they can say that really makes sense. That's why you saw marco rubio getting reamed out in a stadium standing there studdering like an ass, because there is no logical defense not enacting any law after the MSD shooting, or sandy hook for that matter.

How is "countless deaths" hyperbole? Can you count me the number of gun deaths in the US in that last 10-5 years or even this year alone? I cannot. You can reference statistics... but at what number does it the term "countless" have meaning? 1,000.... 10,000... 100,000? Because you can read a number on a screen associated with many murders doesn't make the term "countless" meaningless or BS.

Those two examples I sited make up the majority of the opposition argument. There are always other arguments, you can create infinite different arguments for almost any viewpoint and run in circles with them, I'm not going to sit here and regurgitate and refute the entire opposition list of arguments, I'll pick a few.

My point with the cnn story was that this person was an example of a "good guy with a gun" who is suppose to be stopping these shootings, but guns for defense aren't always used for that purpose. Also this particular gun owner believe he had the need to defend himself from others, which is something that can be a fear manufactured in the mind, and likely has little to do with actual reality.

This man had a history of aggressive confronting people as if they were going to attack him. You ever hear the saying, "Once you have a hammer everything looks like a nail"? Once you have a gun, everyone looks like a threat. I truly believe that is a legitimate psychological phenomena, and that story illustrated an example of a man who acted on his fears and the story he built in his mind, not on any real threat.

If I'm guilty of something here I would say it's not explaining my points fully, which I have done many times and it has appeared to fall on deaf ears.

So why single me out if we are on the same side? If you are frustrated as well why not voice your own opposition instead of criticize me?

The irony is that he laid out simply and without malice the reasons why you do great harm to your own argument.

If I run across somebody on the street that thinks the opposing arguments are fucking stupid and failed, endorses sarcasm, strawmans the opposition into two camps, and points to a single criminal as some exemplar of how "people" are getting charged, I leave the insufferable troll to his own ignorant rantings. It takes a good Samaritan to actually stop and spend the time to point out the errors within the frustrated ravings.

You may think all the bastards who disagree with you are fucking nuts, but that's more conversation over beers with people that agree with you 90-100% on the issue. Micronesia brings up the great point that you're like a wet dream to gun rights activists. Most of your cooler-headed allies wish arguers like you didn't exist and focus on marginalizing how many share your opinions. See: "nobody wants to take you guns" and "everyone respects your general right to own, carry, and defend yourself lawfully, we just want common sense gun control reform."


You and I have had our back and forth, it didn't lead anywhere.

That being said, if you post something about what meaningful change you would like to prevent events like this (madden tournament shooting) from occurring I'll respond as I would in a thoughtful discussion to understand your point of view.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 30 2018 12:10 GMT
#15366
--- Nuked ---
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 30 2018 13:15 GMT
#15367
--- Nuked ---
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-30 13:30:14
August 30 2018 13:27 GMT
#15368
On August 30 2018 22:15 JimmiC wrote:
Questions: When did gun ownership and Christianity get so intertwined in the states? It is not so in other countries, if anything it is the opposite. Has it always been this way? Happened over time? One watershed moment?

Jesus and his whole forgiveness and love thing doesn't seem to fit. The pre Jesus stuff I sort of get but since Christianity focuses on the latter it is confusing to me.


Guns are most useful on rural areas, both for hunting (tradition) and specially self defense.
Cops can arrive in a few minutes on cities (at least theoretically), this simply isn't possible on a rural setting.
Self defense is perfectly moral, and protecting your family IS your moral duty. Your attempt at jabbin on religion by impliying owning a gun is in some sort againt christian teachings is downright stupid.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
August 30 2018 13:31 GMT
#15369
The issue he's pointing to isn't a conflation of his own, there are many fundamentalist Christian gun lovers who insist that Christ himself would have walked around with a handgun at his hip if he could have. Morality of self defense aside, that kind of crazy shit is definitely present here.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-30 13:48:10
August 30 2018 13:47 GMT
#15370
On August 30 2018 22:31 farvacola wrote:
The issue he's pointing to isn't a conflation of his own, there are many fundamentalist Christian gun lovers who insist that Christ himself would have walked around with a handgun at his hip if he could have. Morality of self defense aside, that kind of crazy shit is definitely present here.


I've never heard or read anyone say that, so it's prolly some fringe belief of 100 people in the entire U.S., like the 100 Neo-Nazis that exist scattered around america.

I could also point out that some of the people in favor of full gun confiscation are the first ones to gather to censor and beat up with sticks people with whom they disagree with (antifa)

Neither are relevant to the discussion at hand.
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
August 30 2018 13:50 GMT
#15371
On August 30 2018 22:47 GoTuNk! wrote:
I could also point out that some of the people in favor of full gun confiscation are the first ones to gather to censor and beat up with sticks people with whom they disagree with (antifa)

Uh...what?
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 30 2018 13:52 GMT
#15372
I love talking about fictional demographics.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-30 13:56:23
August 30 2018 13:55 GMT
#15373
Given that the NRA itself has been known to open its meetings with prayers that include language like "Jesus loves me and my guns," I think your brand of availibity heuristics needs some work gotunks.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 30 2018 13:55 GMT
#15374
--- Nuked ---
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 30 2018 13:59 GMT
#15375
On August 30 2018 22:55 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2018 22:27 GoTuNk! wrote:
On August 30 2018 22:15 JimmiC wrote:
Questions: When did gun ownership and Christianity get so intertwined in the states? It is not so in other countries, if anything it is the opposite. Has it always been this way? Happened over time? One watershed moment?

Jesus and his whole forgiveness and love thing doesn't seem to fit. The pre Jesus stuff I sort of get but since Christianity focuses on the latter it is confusing to me.


Guns are most useful on rural areas, both for hunting (tradition) and specially self defense.
Cops can arrive in a few minutes on cities (at least theoretically), this simply isn't possible on a rural setting.
Self defense is perfectly moral, and protecting your family IS your moral duty. Your attempt at jabbin on religion by impliying owning a gun is in some sort againt christian teachings is downright stupid.

I don't see how this answers my question or why it makes you mad.

I mean I'd be happy to discuss with you the difference between perceived safety and protecting your family and what the numbers say. And personally I have zero problems with licensed long barrel bolt action guns. But the question is unrelated to my opinion on guns.


"Guns are most useful on rural areas, both for hunting (tradition) and specially self defense.
Cops can arrive in a few minutes on cities (at least theoretically), this simply isn't possible on a rural setting."
Answers your question.
"Jesus and his whole forgiveness and love thing doesn't seem to fit. The pre Jesus stuff I sort of get but since Christianity focuses on the latter it is confusing to me."
Seems a cheap conflation to me, if it wasn't I'm sorry. As I said protecting your family IS your moral duty. Farvacola came up with the irrelevant topic.
Broetchenholer
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany1967 Posts
August 30 2018 14:01 GMT
#15376
On August 30 2018 22:27 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2018 22:15 JimmiC wrote:
Questions: When did gun ownership and Christianity get so intertwined in the states? It is not so in other countries, if anything it is the opposite. Has it always been this way? Happened over time? One watershed moment?

Jesus and his whole forgiveness and love thing doesn't seem to fit. The pre Jesus stuff I sort of get but since Christianity focuses on the latter it is confusing to me.


Guns are most useful on rural areas, both for hunting (tradition) and specially self defense.
Cops can arrive in a few minutes on cities (at least theoretically), this simply isn't possible on a rural setting.
Self defense is perfectly moral, and protecting your family IS your moral duty. Your attempt at jabbin on religion by impliying owning a gun is in some sort againt christian teachings is downright stupid.

Yes, all the christian martyrs were well known for defending their own lives against those that wanted to punish them for not praising Jupiter. Christianity was at it's core a religion of the oppressed that lacked the power to fight for their own rights. That's why good christians, no matter how hard their life was, went to heaven just for staying silent, obeying the rules and dying without denouncing their faith.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 30 2018 14:02 GMT
#15377
On August 30 2018 22:55 farvacola wrote:
Given that the NRA itself has been known to open its meetings with prayers that include language like "Jesus loves me and my guns," I think your brand of availibity heuristics needs some work gotunks.


You mean the group of safest gun users opens meeting with prayers? God this is terrible.
Stop arguing in bad faith. Praying is not the same as saying that Jesus would walk around carrying a gun which is just stupid. (And unimportant?)
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 30 2018 14:07 GMT
#15378
--- Nuked ---
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 30 2018 14:09 GMT
#15379
--- Nuked ---
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-30 14:12:10
August 30 2018 14:10 GMT
#15380
Mixing the message of Christ with the political issue of gun control is a vulgar, fairly common thing in this country, and as a Christian myself, I think the ease with which you wave away just how often this shit occurs amounts to bad faith far more readily than my verbatim recounting of what I've encountered when arguing with other self-proclaimed Christians. You're making this about anti-religion when pro-religion provides criticism just as readily. Fundies in the US distort the Bible's message routinely, and as JimmiC pointed out in the post that started this, gun control is yet another place where this shitty tack rears its head. This politics-masquerading-as-religion thing, no matter its form, is very important.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Prev 1 767 768 769 770 771 891 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings210
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft470
RuFF_SC2 202
ViBE87
Nina 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4122
GuemChi 1194
Terrorterran 91
910 73
Bale 30
NaDa 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever455
Counter-Strike
taco 533
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox999
Other Games
summit1g8158
JimRising 604
C9.Mang0306
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP125
• Hupsaiya 61
• EnkiAlexander 49
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo907
• Stunt242
Other Games
• Shiphtur556
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 32m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.