• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:28
CEST 05:28
KST 12:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6525 users

If you're seeing this topic then another mass shooting hap…

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 761 762 763 764 765 891 Next
Although this thread does not function under the same strict guidelines as the USPMT, it is still a general practice on TL to provide a source with an explanation on why it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion. Failure to do so will result in a mod action.
SetStndbySmn
Profile Joined August 2010
United States657 Posts
August 26 2018 23:21 GMT
#15241
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.
"He doesn't operate under some divine shroud that lets him determine what is or is not valid culture. He cannot rob you, retroactively, of wholly valid experiences; he cannot transform them into worthless things." - Tycho
Broetchenholer
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany1967 Posts
August 26 2018 23:33 GMT
#15242
Yeah, there can be a discussion about the problem without spotlighting the case and the suspect. It's hard to pull off but a good start would be to never show pictures of victims or perpetrator, never name them, never interview them or their relatives. What good does it do to have a mother cry on television that their kid is dead or have a relative say that the son was always a quiet and polite boy. The personal drama does not belong on national television and switching it might be a good first step.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17903 Posts
August 26 2018 23:45 GMT
#15243
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
August 26 2018 23:53 GMT
#15244
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

The violence in inner city Jacksonville is horrible. For example: The schools mandate clear backpacks and metal detectors. Meanwhile outside the city the area is really nice and has good schools. Jacksonville schools report over 6000 violent physical acts in a single year. Violence is a huge issue in this area and quite scary for me as a new father. We intentionally are moving to the neighboring county when our kid needs to go to school.

Source: https://www.news4jax.com/news/investigations/duval-county-schools-most-dangerous-in-the-state
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
thePunGun
Profile Blog Joined January 2016
598 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 03:52:41
August 27 2018 00:03 GMT
#15245
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up *on my list....

(*edit: F*** typos)
"You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself."
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
August 27 2018 00:25 GMT
#15246
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....


live free or die

User was temp banned for this post.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17903 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 00:27:44
August 27 2018 00:26 GMT
#15247
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

i've been to many EA NHL '94 throughout the Greater Toronto Area over the last 15 years; They've always had zero security. If a competitive event based on a game released in October of 1993 ( EA NHL 94 ) or July 1991 ( Super Tecmo Bowl ) adds security then I'm not attending. I'll just watch on Twitch.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 00:32:24
August 27 2018 00:31 GMT
#15248
On August 27 2018 09:26 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

i've been to many EA NHL '94 throughout the Greater Toronto Area over the last 15 years; They've always had zero security. If a competitive event based on a game released in October of 1993 ( EA NHL 94 ) or July 1991 ( Super Tecmo Bowl ) adds security then I'm not attending. I'll just watch on Twitch.

There is no way EA is going to have any events without security after this. Their own employees were at this event. Enjoy watching on twitch.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
August 27 2018 00:33 GMT
#15249
On August 27 2018 09:26 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

i've been to many EA NHL '94 throughout the Greater Toronto Area over the last 15 years; They've always had zero security. If a competitive event based on a game released in October of 1993 ( EA NHL 94 ) or July 1991 ( Super Tecmo Bowl ) adds security then I'm not attending. I'll just watch on Twitch.

The landing is notorious for irrational murders. It has a history of football fans ranging from Jacksonville vs X team and Florida vs Georgia fans killing each other over team pride and hatred. In this instance I would prefer security knowing the history of competitive rivalry over the years. Just recently an opponent of the jags had a fan who was stabbed to death while walking with his family.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 00:44:58
August 27 2018 00:44 GMT
#15250
On August 27 2018 09:31 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 09:26 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

i've been to many EA NHL '94 throughout the Greater Toronto Area over the last 15 years; They've always had zero security. If a competitive event based on a game released in October of 1993 ( EA NHL 94 ) or July 1991 ( Super Tecmo Bowl ) adds security then I'm not attending. I'll just watch on Twitch.

There is no way EA is going to have any events without security after this. Their own employees were at this event. Enjoy watching on twitch.


Dont think EA has a whole lot to do with some of these smaller events.. Ive only been to major events, for Dota CS and SC2 and all of them had metal detectors. Just like any other concert or sporting event.
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
August 27 2018 00:49 GMT
#15251
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.

It was a small thing at a gaming bar, so probably not any more than one would expect going to a bar. This wasn't some big tournament at a stadium.
ShambhalaWar
Profile Joined August 2013
United States930 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 01:08:59
August 27 2018 01:04 GMT
#15252
On August 27 2018 05:49 zlefin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 05:07 Excludos wrote:
On August 27 2018 03:58 zlefin wrote:
Hmmm, how do I push the view that we should talk about mass shootings less in a way that isn't, in itself, contributing to the problem of talking about mass shootings?


I don't think we should talk about it less. I understand and even agree to the idea of not giving these people more attention, yet if we start talking less about these it then they are also going to become less important. They should be at the forefront of everyone's minds until people start voting in politicians with a resemblance of humanity in them.

Do you understand that the nature of the objection is that talking about these things causes them to become more common? and that if they were not splashed all over the news and everywhere else all the time, they might become less common as a result?



There is no way to know if talking about a thing causes it to occur more, which makes the statement false (and dangerous because it encourages silence).

All of these issues people talk about and discuss existed before they were topics of discussion.

Take for example racism and violence against women, these are 2 direct examples of awareness/discussion increasing and occurrence decreasing. In these cases, talking about the issue raised awareness and advocacy for the people being hurt.

I think I hear your point, and I'm no fan of how mainstream media with broadcast this 24/7, but silence won't help America's gun problem.

*Imagine if nobody was talking about 3D printed guns and we did nothing about it, the problem worsens exponentially. Yet many people might not know you could get 3D printed guns until the news broke about it, but if we said nothing and raised no concerns that would have been a reality for all of us.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 02:12:05
August 27 2018 01:15 GMT
#15253
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

A gaming event does not need backpack searching etc. If you reach the point where searching backpacks is preferable to gun control then something has gone badly wrong. Similar to putting toddlers in body armour etc.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
August 27 2018 02:05 GMT
#15254
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.


Security consists of there being more armed citizens in the vicinity. After all, most people are good guys, and the more good guys there are with guns, the less likely it is that a bad guy will get very far. In other words, more guns = more safety. We must adhere to this age old maxim and ensure that there are more guns in all areas of America:

JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17903 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 02:13:32
August 27 2018 02:11 GMT
#15255
On August 27 2018 09:31 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 09:26 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

i've been to many EA NHL '94 throughout the Greater Toronto Area over the last 15 years; They've always had zero security. If a competitive event based on a game released in October of 1993 ( EA NHL 94 ) or July 1991 ( Super Tecmo Bowl ) adds security then I'm not attending. I'll just watch on Twitch.

There is no way EA is going to have any events without security after this. Their own employees were at this event. Enjoy watching on twitch.


lol, EA NHL '94 was abandoned in 1996.. some 22 years ago. these events are run on shoestring budgets and any "security" would be just to say they have "security". its not like it'd be some kind of elite military force.

i predict teh next NHL '94 event held in the greater toronto area will have zero security.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 27 2018 02:20 GMT
#15256
On August 27 2018 11:05 Doodsmack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.


Security consists of there being more armed citizens in the vicinity. After all, most people are good guys, and the more good guys there are with guns, the less likely it is that a bad guy will get very far. In other words, more guns = more safety. We must adhere to this age old maxim and ensure that there are more guns in all areas of America:

https://twitter.com/DLoesch/status/1033806660865863680

Damn they beat us to politicizing it. Im shocked, shocked I say.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
ShambhalaWar
Profile Joined August 2013
United States930 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-27 02:46:43
August 27 2018 02:46 GMT
#15257
On August 27 2018 11:05 Doodsmack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.


Security consists of there being more armed citizens in the vicinity. After all, most people are good guys, and the more good guys there are with guns, the less likely it is that a bad guy will get very far. In other words, more guns = more safety. We must adhere to this age old maxim and ensure that there are more guns in all areas of America:

https://twitter.com/DLoesch/status/1033806660865863680


I'm pickin up on your sarcasm, and it speaks volumes in a very round-a-bout way.

<3
Luolis
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Finland7196 Posts
August 27 2018 04:28 GMT
#15258
On August 27 2018 10:15 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2018 09:03 thePunGun wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:45 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
On August 27 2018 08:21 SetStndbySmn wrote:
On August 27 2018 07:38 Sent. wrote:
Can anyone who used to or still does frequent gaming tournaments in the US describe how do security measures at those events look like? I'm guessing they're minimal at smaller tournaments, I'm mostly curious about bigger titles.


The MLG event I went to in Raleigh a number of years ago had a decent amount of security. I can't remember if there were metal detectors, but there was a noticeable amount of security personnel. Nearly all sporting events have the works though. The smaller stuff- i.e. events that take place in stores/bars- generally has next to nothing as far as security goes. The Jacksonville Landing is a mall area, so may have had mall security. Just keep in mind the US is a pretty darn big place and the variance in violent occurrences can be night and day. I've heard from relatives who live in the area that violence in Jacksonville has been a problem recently, but that's hearsay.

i'm going to Tecmo Madison in April next year. I hope there is zero security. it preserves the fun of the event.

I advise you to reconsider your priorites, getting home alive from an event and not in a casket is pretty high up in my list....

A gaming event does not need backpack searching etc. If you reach the point where searching backpacks is preferable to gun control then something has gone badly wrong. Similar to putting toddlers in body armour etc.

We have backpack checks at Finnish lans when you walk inside, so i dont see why that would be so bad in America, especially with the current gun situation. Gun control would be nice but it doesnt hurt to be careful.
pro cheese woman / Its never Sunny in Finland. Perkele / FinnishStarcraftTrivia
DropBear
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia4437 Posts
August 27 2018 05:53 GMT
#15259
University. Mass shooting
High school. Mass shooting
Primary school. Mass shooting
Church. Mass shooting
Military base. Mass shooting
Nightclub. Mass shooting
Movie theatre. Mass shooting
Christmas party. Mass shooting
Music festival. Mass shooting
Video game tourney. Mass shooting

All of these since 2012. How are you meant to go to a public place in the US at this point? Any type of gathering has been targeted.

Sucker for nostalgia
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10392 Posts
August 27 2018 06:07 GMT
#15260
On August 27 2018 14:53 DropBear wrote:
University. Mass shooting
High school. Mass shooting
Primary school. Mass shooting
Church. Mass shooting
Military base. Mass shooting
Nightclub. Mass shooting
Movie theatre. Mass shooting
Christmas party. Mass shooting
Music festival. Mass shooting
Video game tourney. Mass shooting

All of these since 2012. How are you meant to go to a public place in the US at this point? Any type of gathering has been targeted.


You are more likely to die while driving your car to work, so I guess we should all quit our jobs too. Time to close down society.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Prev 1 761 762 763 764 765 891 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings210
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft470
RuFF_SC2 202
ViBE87
Nina 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4122
GuemChi 1194
Terrorterran 91
910 73
Bale 30
NaDa 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever455
Counter-Strike
taco 533
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox999
Other Games
summit1g8158
JimRising 604
C9.Mang0306
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP125
• Hupsaiya 61
• EnkiAlexander 49
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo907
• Stunt242
Other Games
• Shiphtur556
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 32m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.