• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:26
CEST 00:26
KST 07:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8134 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 20

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 69 Next
Kohonski
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 22:34:37
November 07 2011 22:31 GMT
#381
I have a question for korean. I have Microsoft-IME for it. However, I haven't been able to create characters. One of the ones was golf: 골프How would you go about making those characters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_South_Korea.svg

Is that the correct keyboard layout for me to be looking at? I know hitting some keys will make a combo out of the characters, I just don't know how the specifics.

Awesome site by the way, thanks to the OP for posting this!

Edit: TL-UNCMan
Now we are both in the club of "people who caught mice and asked IRC what to do". Mine was caught face first on a glue trap though, but his back legs were free and he was pushing the trap all over my house. I ended up drowning him. - Lemonwalrus
Snuggles
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1865 Posts
November 07 2011 22:32 GMT
#382
Guys, I HIGHLY recommend you to take the genki course for learning kanji. They have you type out the kanji very very often, even in the seeding stages. Although you probably won't really be able to write it out, you can at least recognize the complicated kanji and assign it an english meaning so you can at least read.

I just started the course and its making me type out the kanji but they also have the kana in plain sight for me to just type... but it still works to imprint the kanji into your head. Hopefully in the later stages it will force me to write the kanji without the kana to cheat off of lol.
suejak
Profile Joined March 2010
Japan545 Posts
November 07 2011 22:33 GMT
#383
On November 07 2011 23:39 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2011 23:36 Robinsa wrote:
On November 07 2011 23:31 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
On November 07 2011 23:14 Robinsa wrote:
On November 07 2011 22:22 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
On November 07 2011 19:44 grobo wrote:
To the other people that are studying Japanese on the site, am i not supposed to write the words in kanji?

For example when they want me to write Refrigerator i write 冷蔵庫 but it says it's wrong? and it happens every time
i write the kanji for a word.

I started trying to input in Japanese because I was getting frustrated with having to memorize the romanization that was saved for each word, and I think I figured out what's going on here. When you enter a Japanese word in Windows, you have three stages: You enter the word, then you select the characters to render it, then you finalize it. If you click on "submit" before the word is finalized (if it's still underlined and you can select different kanji by hitting the space bar), then the characters aren't submitted properly and it counts as an error.

Just make sure you hit <enter> before you submit.

I'm a bit annoyed by some things about this page the more I use it. There seems to only be one halfway decent set for Japanese, and it's not at a very high level (JLPT level 2), and the words in it are inconsistent. Sometimes I only get shown the kanji for a word, and sometimes the kanji are rendered with the hiragana pronunciation right next to them. There seems to be no option to drill just on the words without kanji or just on the kanji without pronunciation. Also, the mnemonics are horrible and mostly rely on memorizing some kind of mispronunciation of the word to make it sound like English, which is a horrible habit.

I'm still pretty impressed with the software, though. It just needs better content, and the flashcard format needs to be made a bit better to allow more options.

Ive only tried the N1 quiz and it works fine for me except theres a lot of pretty basic words included that I think is N2 level. Other than that its fine and I see none of this "inconsistancy" at all.

Am I missing something? I only saw one N1 list, and it had a really small number of words in it, like 100. Can you share a link to the list you found?

http://www.memrise.com/set/10001757/n1/ This is the one I use. Its called N1 単語 and has 766 words in it. A bit too few considering N1 should hold atleast 1000+ new words from N2. And Im sure that there are N2 words included in the words.

Oh cool, thanks!

Now I want an option to combine word lists...

Also, it would be really cool if more than one person could have write access to a word list. I bet the TL Japanese student community could band together to make a really excellent set of cards for at least the various noryokushiken levels.

I'm taking the N1 test next month, and I gotta say, you CANNOT rely on the definitions given for that word list. I was suspicious of 成果 as "accomplishment/achievement" -- which isn't wrong, but isn't quite right. However, when it said that ~系 means "system," I knew I had to stop before I got corrupted. Obviously it's hard to convert such versatile kanji into a simple English definition, but it's just not useful to memorize the meaning "system". I mean, you'll generally encounter this in structures like アフリカ系アメリカ人, and it obviously doesn't mean "system" there.

Honestly, this is not useful. If you want to learn a language, get books and study. These games may make you feel like you're making progress, because playing a game is easier than studying, but the "meanings" they assign the words and phrases are completely without context and really totally useless -- at least in such a context-dependent language.

That's my warning, anyway. Good luck.
Are you human?
michielbrands
Profile Joined June 2011
Netherlands1146 Posts
November 07 2011 22:35 GMT
#384
Damn this works great, already having great fun learning French (I already knew a bit, but wanted to improve for a long time). Wish there was also something so you could learn sentences the same way. Would love to learn how to really conversate instead of jsut loose words.
- me (L) competitive gaming -
Nazza
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia1654 Posts
November 07 2011 22:40 GMT
#385
Is there a Korean word list that also has someone speaking the words as well?
No one ever remembers second place, eh? eh? GIVE ME COMMAND
phyren
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1067 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 22:46:08
November 07 2011 22:45 GMT
#386
I really wish there were some more options for learning the pronunciation. Even just a phonetic spelling provided, but an audio sample to be really amazing. I know it would be a big leap to try to test users pronunciation, but attempting to connect the pronunciation with the words feels like it would help make them more memorable to me, even if the pronunciation was not something I was tested on.

oh, and also, TL-phyren
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
November 07 2011 22:45 GMT
#387
rofl sick shit, my inbox got bombarded:
[image loading]
prOxi.swAMi
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Australia3091 Posts
November 07 2011 22:47 GMT
#388
@niteReloaded yea me too :D felt good! I LOVE TEAMLIQUID!
Oh no
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
November 07 2011 22:50 GMT
#389
haha nice..
I'm TL-dayman btw.
beep boop
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 22:53:22
November 07 2011 22:51 GMT
#390
On November 08 2011 06:28 TheLOLas wrote:
TL-Thelolas
(mandarin)
I've noticed that the mandarin program is the best at this point. Most of the words have audio and pictures so it makes it easy to understand. Also I think we are going to get a TL person in the top 100 soon. Soon TL shall rule the internets.


hah, theres already 5 people in the top ten, mate :p

edit: oh ok, thats only for the day! none in the weekly or monthly, i take it back then =)
but there are at least 2 TL people already in the monthly top 100
beep boop
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
November 07 2011 22:56 GMT
#391
I managed to get top 10, but it lasts for another 1hour.......... I probably won't have the same time available tomorrow, but I'll surely continue to play regularly, but in smaller amounts.
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 23:23:34
November 07 2011 22:57 GMT
#392
Regarding the TOP 100 Month: The others have just 6-7 day headstart;)
MasterShake
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2 Posts
November 07 2011 22:59 GMT
#393
This is amazing. I'm TL-ATHFShake (spanish).
"I've made a huge mistake"
Waterhaak
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Netherlands525 Posts
November 07 2011 23:00 GMT
#394
TL-Waterhaak learning Korean, actually had a couple of high fives already
버섯보다 빛나는
Asday
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom388 Posts
November 07 2011 23:19 GMT
#395
I just signed up with TL-Asday. Seems pretty fun.

Learning Japanese, and you can type in the romaji, (English letters), so you may not need an IME, however, it's a bit rigid.

カード = kado, and not kaado.
graan
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany589 Posts
November 07 2011 23:22 GMT
#396
i try'd that to freshen up my school italian, but i think i didnt got the system right..

..are there only several different topics from which u learn the words separately ? or can u mix all the words u learn and shuffle them into one big word pool ? fe i just been to the restaurant section, now i go to the office section and it seems to be that these are completly different in the greenhouse/garden system ?

is that intentional or am i just doing something wrong ?
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 23:25:53
November 07 2011 23:25 GMT
#397
there are wordlists, most of the beta ones are user-generated. So all topics^^

Hello fellow italian learner At the moment I am living in Italy, so I can test the memrise stuff in action:D
BearSandwich
Profile Joined April 2010
United States44 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 00:02:32
November 07 2011 23:56 GMT
#398
Awesome site, thanks for the link. Working on Japanese, and I expect that if I were to formally learn Japanese in a class, this site would prove invaluable for studying. This is a much better study method than Flash Cards... I wish this had been around when I took Latin.

Oh and I almost forgot this: TL-BearSandwich

I look forward to trying to keep up with all of you top-100 smarty-pants.
Jesushooves
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada553 Posts
November 08 2011 00:04 GMT
#399
On November 08 2011 07:31 Kohonski wrote:
I have a question for korean. I have Microsoft-IME for it. However, I haven't been able to create characters. One of the ones was golf: 골프How would you go about making those characters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_South_Korea.svg

Is that the correct keyboard layout for me to be looking at? I know hitting some keys will make a combo out of the characters, I just don't know how the specifics.

Awesome site by the way, thanks to the OP for posting this!

Edit: TL-UNCMan

I found this to be helpful:
http://www.learnkoreanlanguage.com/learn-hangul.html

The keyboard you are looking at for hangul should be this:
http://www.emagasia.com/korean-keyboard

I am currently doing awful at learning korean on the site, so I don't want to give you any advice, but one "block" of a korean letter is generally (consonant - vowel) or (consonant - vowel - consonant).

So the character you are describing is pronounced as (g/k)ohl - pooh, and would be typed:"rhfvm" - in the korean layout ofc.

Hope that helps!
Lose its good, after will be win.
The_Unseen
Profile Joined March 2011
France1923 Posts
November 08 2011 00:05 GMT
#400
Nice stuff, I'll try it out for a few languages.
I got five reasons for you to shut up
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 255
Nina 129
ViBE49
Nathanias 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12541
Artosis 407
NaDa 28
Bale 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever217
febbydoto33
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox388
Mew2King71
Other Games
summit1g5690
Grubby3185
Liquid`RaSZi1796
shahzam675
WinterStarcraft451
C9.Mang0301
JimRising 137
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 92
• musti20045 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie826
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 34m
INu's Battles
12h 34m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
14h 34m
OSC
23h 49m
Replay Cast
1d
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.