• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:53
CEST 22:53
KST 05:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7815 users

Australia to vote on Gay marrige - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 37 Next All
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
October 21 2011 03:45 GMT
#221
On October 21 2011 12:05 jdseemoreglass wrote:
What I've learned from this thread:

Most people who support gay marriage are outright hypocrites and still bigoted despite their arguments against bigotry. Most bigotry is a result of social conditioning, and because society is becoming accepting of gays, people are becoming accepting of gay marriage. It has nothing to do with logic or reason or morality or consistency, it's simply societies slowly becoming accustomed to homosexuality. Society has not become accustomed to many other sexual orientations through the media or education, and so people have no problem discriminating against those groups and and trying to distance them from homosexuality.

I guess that confirms what many of us already knew: That those who consider themselves most progressive and tolerant and enlightened are often nothing more than modern day traditionalists according to modern tastes, and that repetition of an idea will continue to be more powerful than the rationality behind it.


What???? What are you talking about? Bigoted against what? Christians? I have nothing against Christians unless they try to impose their religion on others. And that's not bigoted, because that isn't just Christians that i believe that about.

What other sexual orientations? Transgender? Is this part of the topic?

Modern day traditionalist? What the hell does that even mean?
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
October 21 2011 03:45 GMT
#222
On October 21 2011 12:05 jdseemoreglass wrote:
What I've learned from this thread:

Most people who support gay marriage are outright hypocrites and still bigoted despite their arguments against bigotry. Most bigotry is a result of social conditioning, and because society is becoming accepting of gays, people are becoming accepting of gay marriage. It has nothing to do with logic or reason or morality or consistency, it's simply societies slowly becoming accustomed to homosexuality. Society has not become accustomed to many other sexual orientations through the media or education, and so people have no problem discriminating against those groups and and trying to distance them from homosexuality.

I guess that confirms what many of us already knew: That those who consider themselves most progressive and tolerant and enlightened are often nothing more than modern day traditionalists according to modern tastes, and that repetition of an idea will continue to be more powerful than the rationality behind it.


Are you referring to polygamy? I'm for that <_<
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
October 21 2011 03:45 GMT
#223
On October 21 2011 12:16 Belisarius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 10:58 ShatterStorm wrote:
On October 21 2011 10:39 Belisarius wrote:
I've never quite understood the issue here. To my knowledge, there are no practical legal differences between a married heterosexual couple and a gay couple. The gay couple becomes a de facto partnership and are treated under the law as though they were married.

If I'm wrong, by all means correct me, but it it seems like this whole thing is an argument over the definition of a word. There's little legal discrimination left, even in Australia. If there is, I agree it should probably be removed... but what's wrong with a gay union being called something other than marriage?


Very good point here.

If we redefine what it is that gay people want, then the argument makes more sense.
Essentially, AFAIK gay people want to have the same LEGAL recognition as others with regard to entering into a "life partnership". So Why not give them that right ?
It doesn't have to be called "Marriage" it could be called "Ooble Wooble" (or "Civil Union") for all I care, as long as a same sex couple can end up with the same LEGAL rights as a mixed sex couple with regard to their relationship.

Let the churchies keep "Marriage" and relegate that to a purely religious ceremony with no recognition under law, or at least give it the same recognition as "Ooble Wooble"

After all, the current situation is that after your "ceremony", you still need to sign some documentation and have it lodged with the Dept of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the Marriage to have any sort of Govt recognition.


This is actually something that a lot of Christians want. One of CS Lewis's many good points was a call for a difference between civil marriage and marriage in the church, not just for gays but for heterosexual couples as well. There are a lot of things that the church disagrees with in the secular definition of marriage - for example, how easy it has become to get a divorce - and there are a lot of things the secular world disagrees with in the church system, like their stance on gay marriage.

It would make a lot of sense to separate the two, and have a union under law that everyone could enter into, and a marriage under God that people committed to if they chose, with more stringent bindings and requirements in line with religious ideals.

A vast portion of the confusion and anger in these kinds of debates stems from the fact that the two sides are arguing about two different things, and not realising that. Of course for the Christians, it would be nice if theirs was the version called "marriage," since it really was a religiously-defined word in the first place, but that's a completely secondary concern.


Your arguments are very sound, if not inspirational. I wonder what the gay community think of your idea. I think there's a a need to separate Religion and State, so let Christians have their patent on the word marriage, as their definition for the rite between two Christians. This way everyone get what they want without interfering with State.
reneg
Profile Joined September 2010
United States859 Posts
October 21 2011 03:46 GMT
#224
On October 21 2011 12:39 GettinMyFill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:34 Belisarius wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:29 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:25 sealpuncher wrote:
Honest question from an 18 year old: am I allowed to disagree with gay marriage on the basis of religious belief or is it only the majority who are not allowed to be bashed for their OPINION?

I personally believe that gay marriage is wrong. I don't, however, think it's any worse than any of the sins other Christians commit. I don't judge gay people at all because they are worth the same as anyone else including other Christians. Is it wrong for me to have my own opinion?


Yes, when you're opinion is completely wrong, based on fairy tales, myths and fables, and you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.

Christians do not value gay people on the same level as your average Christian, don't act like they do.


Because you're obviously valuing Christians on the same level as your average non-Christian in your post...



If it is a matter of social policy, human rights and natural, deserved equality, why would anyone value Christian doctrine when determining what is fair and right?

Oh, right, politicians and people who are afraid of anyone who is different. That's why this debate is happening. Don't turn this around on me.


Frankly, i feel like you're allowed to feel whatever you want to for or against homosexuality. If you feel like it's against your religion, then fantastic. No gays will make it into your heaven. If you don't feel that way, then also great, they will make it into yours.

Let God decide who's making it in, and who isn't.

There's no need to further persecute people on earth based upon things that you believe, if you can find anyone who believes something different.

I hope that it's all legalized, and it's seen as an important step for the future when it's legal everywhere.
moose...indian
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
October 21 2011 03:46 GMT
#225
On October 21 2011 12:42 sealpuncher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:31 DoubleReed wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:25 sealpuncher wrote:
Honest question from an 18 year old: am I allowed to disagree with gay marriage on the basis of religious belief or is it only the majority who are not allowed to be bashed for their OPINION?

I personally believe that gay marriage is wrong. I don't, however, think it's any worse than any of the sins other Christians commit. I don't judge gay people at all because they are worth the same as anyone else including other Christians. Is it wrong for me to have my own opinion?


Yes, because we are talking about a law about whether or not other people can get gay married. Which means you are imposing your beliefs on others. If their religion says gay marriage is okay, then why do you get to say otherwise?

Many Christians believe that gay marriage is okay. Why do you get to say that they're wrong?


I get to say they're wrong because it's my opinion. I never said I disagree with implementing gay marriage did I? I think gay couples SHOULD have the same government defined opportunities as heterosexual couples because the government has no right to give unequal advantages to one group of people over another. There are lots of things that are completely permissible for the public but are considered wrong in the church. I don't understand why this isn't one of these things to be honest. I guess I should have clarified my actual opinion on implementing a gay marriage law.


I apologize previously for my harshness, I've been under a lot of stress. (couple of posts up)

I still stand by the general gist of my statement however. Everyone has a right to have an opinion, but that doesn't make their opinion immune to judgment by others. Everyone can, and SHOULD, evaluate the ideas and opinions of others. This is how we decide what ideas are good and which are bad. If we take the stance that all opinions are equally valid, we wind up with terrible and nonsensical results from bad decisions.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Belisarius
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia6233 Posts
October 21 2011 03:47 GMT
#226
On October 21 2011 12:38 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:25 sealpuncher wrote:
Honest question from an 18 year old: am I allowed to disagree with gay marriage on the basis of religious belief or is it only the majority who are not allowed to be bashed for their OPINION?

I personally believe that gay marriage is wrong. I don't, however, think it's any worse than any of the sins other Christians commit. I don't judge gay people at all because they are worth the same as anyone else including other Christians. Is it wrong for me to have my own opinion?


People are pationate about this issue because it is about identity and freedom. So no you should not be bashed for having an identity and expressing your freedom of having an opinion.

What people will do is try and understand why you have that opinion. Most non-religious people believe that if you can't logically explain something, you are being unreasonable (it is actually the definition but never the less). To a person with faith, the argument makes no sense because logic doesn't enter into the matter.

In short people shouldn't bash you but if they do it is because they do not understand you. There is also a responsibility on you to understand others. The main point being that by your choice of religion you are denying strangers the right to marry.


While reasonable, a lot of this is completely untrue. It's a fallacy that faith and reason cannot coexist. Logic absolutely does enter into the matter, even within religion itself. What faith does is give you a tremendously important point of data on which to base your reasoning, which other people do not share.

And he's not denying people the right to marry by his choice of religion, that's silly. Christianity is denying people the right to consider themselves married under God if they do not conform to Christianity's idea of what that should look like. That's the whole, real argument.
reneg
Profile Joined September 2010
United States859 Posts
October 21 2011 03:48 GMT
#227
On October 21 2011 12:45 dtvu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:16 Belisarius wrote:
On October 21 2011 10:58 ShatterStorm wrote:
On October 21 2011 10:39 Belisarius wrote:
I've never quite understood the issue here. To my knowledge, there are no practical legal differences between a married heterosexual couple and a gay couple. The gay couple becomes a de facto partnership and are treated under the law as though they were married.

If I'm wrong, by all means correct me, but it it seems like this whole thing is an argument over the definition of a word. There's little legal discrimination left, even in Australia. If there is, I agree it should probably be removed... but what's wrong with a gay union being called something other than marriage?


Very good point here.

If we redefine what it is that gay people want, then the argument makes more sense.
Essentially, AFAIK gay people want to have the same LEGAL recognition as others with regard to entering into a "life partnership". So Why not give them that right ?
It doesn't have to be called "Marriage" it could be called "Ooble Wooble" (or "Civil Union") for all I care, as long as a same sex couple can end up with the same LEGAL rights as a mixed sex couple with regard to their relationship.

Let the churchies keep "Marriage" and relegate that to a purely religious ceremony with no recognition under law, or at least give it the same recognition as "Ooble Wooble"

After all, the current situation is that after your "ceremony", you still need to sign some documentation and have it lodged with the Dept of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the Marriage to have any sort of Govt recognition.


This is actually something that a lot of Christians want. One of CS Lewis's many good points was a call for a difference between civil marriage and marriage in the church, not just for gays but for heterosexual couples as well. There are a lot of things that the church disagrees with in the secular definition of marriage - for example, how easy it has become to get a divorce - and there are a lot of things the secular world disagrees with in the church system, like their stance on gay marriage.

It would make a lot of sense to separate the two, and have a union under law that everyone could enter into, and a marriage under God that people committed to if they chose, with more stringent bindings and requirements in line with religious ideals.

A vast portion of the confusion and anger in these kinds of debates stems from the fact that the two sides are arguing about two different things, and not realising that. Of course for the Christians, it would be nice if theirs was the version called "marriage," since it really was a religiously-defined word in the first place, but that's a completely secondary concern.


Your arguments are very sound, if not inspirational. I wonder what the gay community think of your idea. I think there's a a need to separate Religion and State, so let Christians have their patent on the word marriage, as their definition for the rite between two Christians. This way everyone get what they want without interfering with State.



But that's also part of the debate. Why should heterosexuals have a monopoly on the word "marriage"? Shouldn't they, as equal human beings, be allowed to use the same word in an extremely similar (almost identical) situation?

It basically boils down to a notion of separate but equal for a lot of activists in the gay community. If you don't call it marriage, you're basically saying that it's slightly lower on the totem pole of society.
moose...indian
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
October 21 2011 03:49 GMT
#228
On October 21 2011 12:39 GettinMyFill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:34 Belisarius wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:29 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:25 sealpuncher wrote:
Honest question from an 18 year old: am I allowed to disagree with gay marriage on the basis of religious belief or is it only the majority who are not allowed to be bashed for their OPINION?

I personally believe that gay marriage is wrong. I don't, however, think it's any worse than any of the sins other Christians commit. I don't judge gay people at all because they are worth the same as anyone else including other Christians. Is it wrong for me to have my own opinion?


Yes, when you're opinion is completely wrong, based on fairy tales, myths and fables, and you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.

Christians do not value gay people on the same level as your average Christian, don't act like they do.


Because you're obviously valuing Christians on the same level as your average non-Christian in your post...



If it is a matter of social policy, human rights and natural, deserved equality, why would anyone value Christian doctrine when determining what is fair and right?

Oh, right, politicians and people who are afraid of anyone who is different. That's why this debate is happening. Don't turn this around on me.


you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.


The irony in you writing this line is something to behold. He was just voicing his opinion, you don't have to shove your down his throat. Opinions are individual and everyone ahs a right to them. Sure you may disagree but that doesn't gove you the right to straight out insult people.

You have a valid point but the way you express just devalues what you say.
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
GettinMyFill
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia37 Posts
October 21 2011 03:52 GMT
#229
On October 21 2011 12:49 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:39 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:34 Belisarius wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:29 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:25 sealpuncher wrote:
Honest question from an 18 year old: am I allowed to disagree with gay marriage on the basis of religious belief or is it only the majority who are not allowed to be bashed for their OPINION?

I personally believe that gay marriage is wrong. I don't, however, think it's any worse than any of the sins other Christians commit. I don't judge gay people at all because they are worth the same as anyone else including other Christians. Is it wrong for me to have my own opinion?


Yes, when you're opinion is completely wrong, based on fairy tales, myths and fables, and you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.

Christians do not value gay people on the same level as your average Christian, don't act like they do.


Because you're obviously valuing Christians on the same level as your average non-Christian in your post...



If it is a matter of social policy, human rights and natural, deserved equality, why would anyone value Christian doctrine when determining what is fair and right?

Oh, right, politicians and people who are afraid of anyone who is different. That's why this debate is happening. Don't turn this around on me.


Show nested quote +
you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.


The irony in you writing this line is something to behold. He was just voicing his opinion, you don't have to shove your down his throat. Opinions are individual and everyone ahs a right to them. Sure you may disagree but that doesn't gove you the right to straight out insult people.

You have a valid point but the way you express just devalues what you say.


So you have a Christian telling any gay person reading this thread that he thinks that they are immoral and wrong and are not allowed the basic social distinction and celebration of their love, but he backs it up by saying 'but it's only my OPINION!'.

It's exactly the same thing as being racist, but by backing it up by saying 'No, no, it's okay, it's only my opinion, don't worry!'

You are treating people who do not respect others with a higher level of respect. It's wrong.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
October 21 2011 03:54 GMT
#230
Allowing for gays to marry would not be the first time that the definition of marriage has changed. It has already happened many, many, many times in history. Every time, religious radicals fight it. Every time, it ends up happening any way.

I honestly can't believe that the people against gay marriage fight against it. Its a lost battle. Its so obviously just looking at things that the trend is for homosexual marriage to become a reality. All you guys are doing is throwing a big fit.

A question for those of you who would vote against allowing gay marriage: Do you think that gay marriage will always be illegal? Do you think that you and others who think like you will continue to be numerous enough to prevent it down the line? History certainly says otherwise.
nalgene
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada2153 Posts
October 21 2011 03:54 GMT
#231
Doesn't christian have magick in it... There's even a flaming sword...

Finally, the homosexuals can enjoy their rights at last. Why did take so long till now to get that voted in in Australian anyways?

btw, "gay" year 1178, "full of joy or mirth"
Year 2500 Greater Israel ( Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Gaza Strip, West Bank, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen )
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
October 21 2011 03:55 GMT
#232
I'm all for homosexual unions which result in the couple receiving the same rights and benefits as a heterosexual couple, I just don't believe it should be called marriage... because it's not. Marriage, by definition, means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.

Not everthing has to be the same. Equal but different is fine by me.
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
October 21 2011 03:56 GMT
#233
You have a right to an opinion until your opinion involves breaching the rights of others.



... In my opinion.
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
October 21 2011 03:56 GMT
#234
On October 21 2011 12:52 GettinMyFill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 12:49 Probulous wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:39 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:34 Belisarius wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:29 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:25 sealpuncher wrote:
Honest question from an 18 year old: am I allowed to disagree with gay marriage on the basis of religious belief or is it only the majority who are not allowed to be bashed for their OPINION?

I personally believe that gay marriage is wrong. I don't, however, think it's any worse than any of the sins other Christians commit. I don't judge gay people at all because they are worth the same as anyone else including other Christians. Is it wrong for me to have my own opinion?


Yes, when you're opinion is completely wrong, based on fairy tales, myths and fables, and you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.

Christians do not value gay people on the same level as your average Christian, don't act like they do.


Because you're obviously valuing Christians on the same level as your average non-Christian in your post...



If it is a matter of social policy, human rights and natural, deserved equality, why would anyone value Christian doctrine when determining what is fair and right?

Oh, right, politicians and people who are afraid of anyone who is different. That's why this debate is happening. Don't turn this around on me.


you voice it in an obnoxious and patronising manner, it makes it even worse.


The irony in you writing this line is something to behold. He was just voicing his opinion, you don't have to shove your down his throat. Opinions are individual and everyone ahs a right to them. Sure you may disagree but that doesn't gove you the right to straight out insult people.

You have a valid point but the way you express just devalues what you say.


So you have a Christian telling any gay person reading this thread that he thinks that they are immoral and wrong and are not allowed the basic social distinction and celebration of their love, but he backs it up by saying 'but it's only my OPINION!'.

It's exactly the same thing as being racist, but by backing it up by saying 'No, no, it's okay, it's only my opinion, don't worry!'

You are treating people who do not respect others with a higher level of respect. It's wrong.


Amen. It's one of my biggest debate pet peeves when people seem to think that by acknowledging their opinion as an opinion, their arguments become immune to criticism. Yes, I understand it's your OPINION. I'm saying that your OPINION is backwards, harmful, and idiotic.
Mr.Brightside
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia317 Posts
October 21 2011 03:59 GMT
#235
I personally am for gay marriage, marriage I think is kind of trivial and you can be happy without it but there's no reason why anyone should not be allowed to have it if signing that piece of paper is what makes them happy. However, I absolutely despise all of the people that constantly shove the gay marriage should be acceptable rant in my face on every social site I go to. I understand that protesting about things you believe in can get things done in odd cases but don't go on about your preachy bullshit and smother me with it, I'm aware that it's an issue and I care about it but what you're doing is just making me angry and if I didn't care enough then I would vote against whatever it is that you are wanting. Does anyone else feel this way?

On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.

User was banned for this post.


I think this guy really was treading on eggshells trying not to piss anyone off because he knew his opinion could be offensive but you still banned him, kind of mean, especially since he said he was fine with gay marriage. He probably should have said I hope I dont offend anyone rather than I hope I dont get banned, it's a lot better if you show that you care about others rather than yourself.
"Makin' Pylons, Makin' Probes, Fightin' Round The World" - Russell Crowe
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
October 21 2011 04:01 GMT
#236
On October 21 2011 12:55 Brett wrote:
I'm all for homosexual unions which result in the couple receiving the same rights and benefits as a heterosexual couple, I just don't believe it should be called marriage... because it's not. Marriage, by definition, means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.

Not everthing has to be the same. Equal but different is fine by me.


By whose definition? See, the funny thing about words is that their definitions are not set in stone by universal decree. And what would bother you so much about the word "marriage" being defined as the union between any two consenting adults?

There's no denying that the word "marriage" has years of social value that you deny to homosexual couples when you give them the cold, stuffy label of a "civil union." You could make a lot of people happier by just giving them equal acknowledgement with the same title. Why not just do it? Your rhetoric all just ends up being a cover for heterosexism because the only reason to be concerned about the definition of the word "marriage" is if you're somehow concerned about being somehow tainted by the gays.
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
October 21 2011 04:02 GMT
#237
This picture is relevant and amusing.

[image loading]

Hence why I'm not a Christian
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
October 21 2011 04:02 GMT
#238
On October 21 2011 12:59 Mr.Brightside wrote:
I think this guy really was treading on eggshells trying not to piss anyone off because he knew his opinion could be offensive but you still banned him, kind of mean, especially since he said he was fine with gay marriage. He probably should have said I hope I dont offend anyone rather than I hope I dont get banned, it's a lot better if you show that you care about others rather than yourself.


If you look at the automated ban list, you'll see that his ban wasn't because of his opinion. It was because he martyred himself which is against forum rules ("I'm going to get banned for this..."), and he had a bad posting history.
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
October 21 2011 04:02 GMT
#239
On October 21 2011 10:39 Rhine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 09:31 vetinari wrote:
As for the last: citation please. From what I recall, the only study to deal with that was self reporting early and mid childhood outcomes.

What I want to see, is if two gay parents are more/less likely to raise productive and law abiding adult citizens, than the traditional nuclear family (controlling for income). Frankly, I don't give a shit if children are happier or not from ages 5-12, if from 18 onwards they are lazy, narcissistic pricks.



Here's a review from the American Psychological Association

You can check out the papers cited, if you like. That's only up to 2004, of course.

Here's one that looks at Delinquency, Victimization, and Substance Use Among Adolescents
With Female Same-Sex Parents
. You can read more into it, but here's the gist:

Show nested quote +
Analyses indicated that adolescents were functioning well and that their adjustment was not
associated with family type. Adolescents whose parents described closer relationships with
them reported less delinquent behavior and substance use, suggesting that the quality of
parent–adolescent relationships better predicts adolescent outcomes than does family type.


This doc contains some good references
Show nested quote +

Despite considerable variation in the quality of their samples, research design, measurement methods, and data analysis techniques, the findings to date have been remarkably consistent. Empirical studies comparing children raised by sexual minority parents with those raised by otherwise comparable heterosexual parents have not found reliable disparities in mental health or social adjustment (Patterson, 1992, 2000; Perrin, 2002; Stacey & Biblarz, 2001; see also Wainright et al., 2004). Differences have not been found in parenting ability between lesbian mothers and heterosexual mothers (Golombok et al., 2003; Parks, 1998; Perrin, 2002). Studies examining gay fathers are fewer in number (e.g., Bigner & Jacobsen, 1989, 1992;
Miller, 1979) but do not show that gay men are any less fit or able as parents than heterosexual men (for reviews, see Patterson, 2004; Perrin & Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health, 2002).



It's up to you to look into it and consider whether those studies measure up in your opinion, but the findings are very consistent and clear: "Overall, results of research suggest that the development, adjustment, and well-being of children with lesbian and gay parents do not differ markedly from that of children with heterosexual parents." (from the APA review linked above)


I've read through the one on lesbian mothers. There are some serious flaws: namely, they are measuring 15 year old kids' proclivity to smoke, drink, etc, and using those to measure whether the kids are well adjusted. Small sample size, and there is no random sampling, so the whole thing is prone to selection bias. The authors are also not exactly neutral in this either.

Finally and unlike the comparisons between single mothers and two parent (hetero) families, this still does not answer whether homosexual parents produce well-adjusted adults, in terms of income, criminality,mental health, physical health not just in adolescence, but well into adulthood and middle age.



Belisarius
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia6233 Posts
October 21 2011 04:03 GMT
#240
On October 21 2011 12:54 Mohdoo wrote:
A question for those of you who would vote against allowing gay marriage: Do you think that gay marriage will always be illegal? Do you think that you and others who think like you will continue to be numerous enough to prevent it down the line? History certainly says otherwise.


Absolutely, it's a total losing battle, and it's one I'm more or less happy to lose... provided something else comes of it.

As an example, I receive regular emails from the ACL, which is the major Australian Christian politial lobbyist group, and I disagree with pretty much everything they do. I don't even know why I haven't unsubscribed yet.

The reason I disagree is that they're trying to maintain Australian society as a Christian society, when it's very clearly not, when what they should be doing is fighting to retain the rights of Christians to make distinctions based on their own beliefs, while not forcing those distinctions on others who do not believe.

What I'm harping on about regarding institutionalising a civil versus a christian definition of marriage comes into that. Once Christians give up the word, we'll never get it back. There's a window here in which we can transition into a society in which the two ideas can coexist side-by-side, and I will vote to delay blanket changes until I see that come about. We only get the one shot.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 86
ProTech35
Nina 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14472
Dewaltoss 111
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift940
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4758
Khaldor1537
Liquid`Hasu815
Other Games
summit1g6406
fl0m961
shahzam450
byalli313
FrodaN227
C9.Mang0197
KnowMe178
JuggernautJason135
ArmadaUGS94
Mew2King67
PPMD15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV219
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
Other Games
angryscii13
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen185
Other Games
• imaqtpie890
• Shiphtur212
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 8m
Stellar Fest
16h 8m
OSC
1d 1h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 13h
Online Event
1d 14h
FEL
1d 19h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.