• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:03
CEST 15:03
KST 22:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8703 users

GOP staffer quits, writes tell-all - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Papulatus
Profile Joined July 2010
United States669 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:15:39
September 08 2011 02:15 GMT
#141
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.
4 Corners in a day.
Zeri
Profile Joined March 2010
United States773 Posts
September 08 2011 02:20 GMT
#142
On September 08 2011 11:15 Papulatus wrote:
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.


Probably because Beck isn't a former 30-year member of the Democratic Party. But what the hell do I know?
You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.
cskalias.pbe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States293 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:28:08
September 08 2011 02:22 GMT
#143
On September 08 2011 07:37 Arrian wrote:
No matter how what's going on in Washington is framed, I think the basic results speak for themselves, and that's essentially that the Democrats have done squat to create jobs, though they have created an overabundance of debt, and we're even worse off than we were when Bush was in office, which I basically didn't think was possible, so congratualtions Mr. Obama, for doing the impossible: we are worse off than we were under Bush.


This is a misunderstanding. Obama inherited the financial crisis, revenues are lower because of the depressed economic circumstances(obviously) and the increased unemployed and impoverished also increased payouts of unemployment benefits and food stamps. Deceased revenue + increased costs = more debt.

These are all due to policies and events (largely) outside of the control of Obama. Its not like he pushed through legislation to increase unemployment and food stamp programs. Yes he extended some unemployment benefits, but as a percentage of total US gdp these were miniscule relative to real contributors to debt (war, although you could argue obama contributed to this as well. and bush era tax cuts) There is a severe misconception that one person has the ability to undo a decade of of economic buildup and consequences.

So yes, government debt increased while Obama was in office, but BECAUSE of him? No.


edit: Although Obama pushed legislation of health care reform, A. this was to actually REDUCE individual health care costs in the long run, and B. Do you have universal health care yet? No. any spending associated with this has yet to kick in to a significant degree.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
September 08 2011 02:26 GMT
#144
On September 08 2011 10:12 snotboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 06:39 Fleebenworth wrote:

This last bit about religion is particularly interesting because I have always wondered how christianity has been transformed from a radical anti-society poverty-embracing message to the gospel of wealth and corruption.


What you're talking about is Prosperity Gospel, which is a heretical teaching. Many heresies have sprung up throughout the history of Christianity, and many have been very popular as this one is, but they do not represent theologically correct beliefs. Nor do they represent Christianity as a whole.

The reason it may seem to an outsider that every Christian believes this nonsense is because the most popular (money-making) stuff about Christianity is Prosperity Gospel. They're the ones with the multibillion dollar TV networks pumping out their stuff. Their stuff is very prominent, so gets noticed by non-Christians more. The churches following Biblically-based teachings are old news and don't get noticed as much, but we're still around!


..? What? They are completely founded on Biblical verses, there's countless Biblical verses that state you're glorifying God when you make money and that God rewards good followers with wealth. That's what the Puritans were completely based on - being wealth driven. This was a different mentality from the previous Catholic dominated paradigm that wealth --> worldly --> leads to temptation and distraction from God.

There are also many studies that show the average income of a Protestant is higher than the average income of a Catholic, and countries that were predominately Catholic are the Great Schism tended to have weaker economies than countries that were predominately Protestant the following centuries.

Are these the only reasons? No. Is it even the main reason? Probably not, there are a ton of variables, but to say that it's heresy or out of the norm is a little odd, it's definitely been a mentality for a while and at the same time is very much so supported through Biblical verses.
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:31:05
September 08 2011 02:28 GMT
#145
On September 08 2011 11:15 Papulatus wrote:
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.


It is quite simple really. Actually writing an OP that attempts to be balanced, or at least distanced, is harder than just copying a page from the ocean of crap that swills around the internet.

Why put in the effort if you aren't going to be called on it? I've said it already but if you want a decent discussion, write a decent OP.

The only thing we can do is try and provide some substance to the thread.

Edit:
On September 08 2011 11:20 Zeri wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 11:15 Papulatus wrote:
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.


Probably because Beck isn't a former 30-year member of the Democratic Party. But what the hell do I know?



I think you miss his point. It is not so much about the reliability of the source, but the tone in which in the source is written. If you put together an OP which clearly has an agenda, do you really expect balanced responses?
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
TranceStorm
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
1616 Posts
September 08 2011 02:29 GMT
#146
These 'tell-alls' are always a very suspect as they are generally designed to make a quick buck for the disgruntled employee in question. There are literally hundreds of different 'tell-alls' each of which has little to nothing in terms of importance. You'll see staffers on both sides give differing stories about their experiences and the like. Its not a good idea to take any political message from these memoirs.
cskalias.pbe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States293 Posts
September 08 2011 02:31 GMT
#147
On September 08 2011 11:28 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 11:15 Papulatus wrote:
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.


It is quite simple really. Actually writing an OP that attempts to be balanced, or at least distanced, is harder than just copying a page from the ocean of crap that swills around the internet.

Why put in the effort if you aren't going to be called on it? I've said it already but if you want a decent discussion, write a decent OP.

The only thing we can do is try and provide some substance to the thread.


How can you compare Beck to the author? Yes maybe you can argue that they are both just trying to push their political views, but Beck screams of extremism and demagoguery. Even FOX dumped him because his extremism was scary away corporate advertisers.
Klogon
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
MURICA15980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:37:33
September 08 2011 02:31 GMT
#148
On September 08 2011 11:26 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 10:12 snotboogie wrote:
On September 08 2011 06:39 Fleebenworth wrote:

This last bit about religion is particularly interesting because I have always wondered how christianity has been transformed from a radical anti-society poverty-embracing message to the gospel of wealth and corruption.


What you're talking about is Prosperity Gospel, which is a heretical teaching. Many heresies have sprung up throughout the history of Christianity, and many have been very popular as this one is, but they do not represent theologically correct beliefs. Nor do they represent Christianity as a whole.

The reason it may seem to an outsider that every Christian believes this nonsense is because the most popular (money-making) stuff about Christianity is Prosperity Gospel. They're the ones with the multibillion dollar TV networks pumping out their stuff. Their stuff is very prominent, so gets noticed by non-Christians more. The churches following Biblically-based teachings are old news and don't get noticed as much, but we're still around!


..? What? They are completely founded on Biblical verses, there's countless Biblical verses that state you're glorifying God when you make money and that God rewards good followers with wealth. That's what the Puritans were completely based on - being wealth driven. This was a different mentality from the previous Catholic dominated paradigm that wealth --> worldly --> leads to temptation and distraction from God.

There are also many studies that show the average income of a Protestant is higher than the average income of a Catholic, and countries that were predominately Catholic are the Great Schism tended to have weaker economies than countries that were predominately Protestant the following centuries.

Are these the only reasons? No. Is it even the main reason? Probably not, there are a ton of variables, but to say that it's heresy or out of the norm is a little odd, it's definitely been a mentality for a while and at the same time is very much so supported through Biblical verses.


Actually, you're completely wrong. The Prosperity Gospel is not biblical. Please go to 10 of your local churches in your area and poll the lead pastors and congregations. You'll find that you have no idea what you are talking about regarding main stream christian beliefs.

I think you'll find most Christians will agree God can bless you, but being good Christian does not lead to wealth, nor does wealth mean you were a good Christian. There is no casual relationship there. And it's a dangerous theology to preach as biblical fact.
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
September 08 2011 02:32 GMT
#149
Did anyone think politics was a tea party?
Stuff like this happens.
Worse stuff happens.
Everyday.
On all sides.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
September 08 2011 02:35 GMT
#150
On September 08 2011 11:31 cskalias.pbe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 11:28 Probulous wrote:
On September 08 2011 11:15 Papulatus wrote:
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.


It is quite simple really. Actually writing an OP that attempts to be balanced, or at least distanced, is harder than just copying a page from the ocean of crap that swills around the internet.

Why put in the effort if you aren't going to be called on it? I've said it already but if you want a decent discussion, write a decent OP.

The only thing we can do is try and provide some substance to the thread.


How can you compare Beck to the author? Yes maybe you can argue that they are both just trying to push their political views, but Beck screams of extremism and demagoguery. Even FOX dumped him because his extremism was scary away corporate advertisers.


Seriously people is it really that hard to see.

This author has an agenda that he is clearly pushing. The OP pushes it further with his selection of quotes and thought bubbles. If you want a decent discussion, leave out as much bias as possible. I am not holding up Beck as some model of balance, neither am I saying this author is somehow unreliable. I am merely stating that these political threads descend into crap because the discussion is framed as me against you.

How do you discuss with someone when they don't even attempt to be balanced?
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
cskalias.pbe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States293 Posts
September 08 2011 02:45 GMT
#151
On September 08 2011 11:32 Chargelot wrote:
Did anyone think politics was a tea party?
Stuff like this happens.
Worse stuff happens.
Everyday.
On all sides.


Stuff like the debt ceiling debate does not happen everyday. There is HARDLY "worse stuff" than the US defaulting on its national debt. You just don't understand in the slightest the sheer enormity of the ensuing financial crises that would have followed.

People like you would argue: well, we got good legislation out of it that would have cut our deficit!
Maybe, but this is like taking 10 thousand people, and telling the president that you are going to have them starve unless him and congress do what you tell them to, and if he doesn't agree, it's all the presidents fault

Not only that, but Obama's plan would have reduced the deficit even further, but nevermind that. Clearly he's out to get us.
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
September 08 2011 02:48 GMT
#152
On September 08 2011 10:25 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 10:17 Probulous wrote:
On September 08 2011 10:11 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:31 Romantic wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:28 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:22 Romantic wrote:
I find it interesting that the individual mandate - originally a Republican idea - is not the essence of big government intervention. Only goes to show how far the Republican party is from where it was in the 90's.


The individual mandate is unconstitutional (and the Supreme Court is going to strike it down) and should be discarded. The better approach is to create a two-tiered health care system where either the federal government or the states (probably the states would be better) provides a basic level of health care for everyone, and then individuals and/or companies are free to purchase and/or provide to employees supplemental coverage that gives extra benefits.


I can't tell the future like you. The only reason the mandate exists is because Republicans would resist any move towards "Medicare for everyone with supplemental private insurance" as communism and the death of America, so Democrats had to use the corporate healthcare insurance system to get semi-universal coverage.


Well, the Supreme Court has made it pretty clear over the past 16 years or so that it wants to revisit the scope of the commerce clause and that its ready to limit its New Deal jurisprudence. I don't think many people are expecting the individual mandate to survive. In fact, there was an interesting New Yorker article a week ago or so on Justice Thomas's influence on the Court and how the Obamacare case is looking to be his defining moment. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/29/110829fa_fact_toobin

As for the "medicare for all with supplemental private insurance" idea, I agree that republicans are predisposed to oppose it. However, I believe that it's the type of idea that they might accept as a replacement for Obamacare, assuming that 1) the program is inexpensive enough, and 2) the benefits provided are relatively minimal.



Which in and of itself is patently absurd. Universal coverage of any type is far more socialist than an individual mandate. At least with the mandate you can choose which plan to purchase. Medicare for all is just a smaller version of a single payer system with supplemental insurance. If the Reps went for this, then they have no right calling Obama socialist.


The difference may seem absurd, but it's very important. There's a big difference between the federal government providing a service with tax dollars and the federal government forcing you to buy a product. It's not all that different in the context of structuring health care, but it's crucial in other contexts.




Wow, I actually think I totally agree with you. I'm surprised to hear you advocate a single-payer system, as that was so far from palatable that Congress had to jump right to the "public option" and finally negotiate down to the stupid do-nothing bill we ended up with. I don't like the idea of an individual mandate either, and I really can't see the constitutional argument for it, but I would love a single-payer system for basic health care. Financially, the difference between a mandate and a taxpayer funded government program is kind of nominal, but there is an important distinction between them. The mandate forces us to participate in a broken industry that will continue to abuse us and I don't think the current bill will fix that. A "Medicare for all" system, implemented intelligently (probably a pipe dream), with a proper industry overhaul, would bring us in line with the rest of the industrialized world.
mangomango
Profile Joined September 2009
United States265 Posts
September 08 2011 02:54 GMT
#153
It's a wall of text but I just read the article. (I read the Harry Potter novels so I know I wall of text when I see one. ) It just makes me more angry. The people who hold their beliefs on the right and do so honestly from their heart I assign no blame. Each of us chooses to be informed from the sources we choose. If some choose the Bible so mote it be. I say we can agree to disagree. Let the peaceful public discourse begin.

The people who ruffle my feathers are the ones who step on your neck to reach your wallet. They know they are standing on your neck. They just don't care. The Eric Cantors (R Virginia) of this world. The Jason Altmires (D Pennsylvania) who claim that health care for everyone is just too expensive. The K Streeters. Who believe that God blesses the rich with money so that they may hold sway over the rest of his less favoured (read poor) children. Because God hands out a report card and it looks just like a bank statement to these guys.

Oh well. Good luck to us all. Rich and poor alike. Because who will carry water for them and shine their Bentleys when all the poor are gone? It's a class war. Pure and simple.
Husky: Every drone you lose is like a needle in the eye. Nony: probes win $10k (Earn it! Idra Fighting) :P
cskalias.pbe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States293 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:58:01
September 08 2011 02:56 GMT
#154
On September 08 2011 11:35 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 11:31 cskalias.pbe wrote:
On September 08 2011 11:28 Probulous wrote:
On September 08 2011 11:15 Papulatus wrote:
I don't get how sources like this are any different than linking to a article from Beck exposing something that the democratic party is doing wrong.

I don't get why people are so quick to crucify the right using articles such as these, but throw out anything from the right as "biased" or "unreliable".

I guess its just the target audience of forums that I read.


It is quite simple really. Actually writing an OP that attempts to be balanced, or at least distanced, is harder than just copying a page from the ocean of crap that swills around the internet.

Why put in the effort if you aren't going to be called on it? I've said it already but if you want a decent discussion, write a decent OP.

The only thing we can do is try and provide some substance to the thread.


How can you compare Beck to the author? Yes maybe you can argue that they are both just trying to push their political views, but Beck screams of extremism and demagoguery. Even FOX dumped him because his extremism was scary away corporate advertisers.


Seriously people is it really that hard to see.

This author has an agenda that he is clearly pushing. The OP pushes it further with his selection of quotes and thought bubbles. If you want a decent discussion, leave out as much bias as possible. I am not holding up Beck as some model of balance, neither am I saying this author is somehow unreliable. I am merely stating that these political threads descend into crap because the discussion is framed as me against you.

How do you discuss with someone when they don't even attempt to be balanced?


I didn't even read the OP. You can ignore the thought bubbles and his opinions remain well thought out.

He makes every attempt to be balanced. former republican, clearly indicates that he feels democrats make many of the same mistakes, but that the republicans just go too far.

But even then, i'm not looking for a "balanced" article. I'd rather learn about natural selection than how we need to "balance" our education system with natural selection and creationism (for example).
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 03:08:07
September 08 2011 03:05 GMT
#155
On September 08 2011 11:48 Senorcuidado wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 10:25 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 10:17 Probulous wrote:
On September 08 2011 10:11 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:31 Romantic wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:28 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:22 Romantic wrote:
I find it interesting that the individual mandate - originally a Republican idea - is not the essence of big government intervention. Only goes to show how far the Republican party is from where it was in the 90's.


The individual mandate is unconstitutional (and the Supreme Court is going to strike it down) and should be discarded. The better approach is to create a two-tiered health care system where either the federal government or the states (probably the states would be better) provides a basic level of health care for everyone, and then individuals and/or companies are free to purchase and/or provide to employees supplemental coverage that gives extra benefits.


I can't tell the future like you. The only reason the mandate exists is because Republicans would resist any move towards "Medicare for everyone with supplemental private insurance" as communism and the death of America, so Democrats had to use the corporate healthcare insurance system to get semi-universal coverage.


Well, the Supreme Court has made it pretty clear over the past 16 years or so that it wants to revisit the scope of the commerce clause and that its ready to limit its New Deal jurisprudence. I don't think many people are expecting the individual mandate to survive. In fact, there was an interesting New Yorker article a week ago or so on Justice Thomas's influence on the Court and how the Obamacare case is looking to be his defining moment. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/29/110829fa_fact_toobin

As for the "medicare for all with supplemental private insurance" idea, I agree that republicans are predisposed to oppose it. However, I believe that it's the type of idea that they might accept as a replacement for Obamacare, assuming that 1) the program is inexpensive enough, and 2) the benefits provided are relatively minimal.



Which in and of itself is patently absurd. Universal coverage of any type is far more socialist than an individual mandate. At least with the mandate you can choose which plan to purchase. Medicare for all is just a smaller version of a single payer system with supplemental insurance. If the Reps went for this, then they have no right calling Obama socialist.


The difference may seem absurd, but it's very important. There's a big difference between the federal government providing a service with tax dollars and the federal government forcing you to buy a product. It's not all that different in the context of structuring health care, but it's crucial in other contexts.




Wow, I actually think I totally agree with you. I'm surprised to hear you advocate a single-payer system, as that was so far from palatable that Congress had to jump right to the "public option" and finally negotiate down to the stupid do-nothing bill we ended up with. I don't like the idea of an individual mandate either, and I really can't see the constitutional argument for it, but I would love a single-payer system for basic health care. Financially, the difference between a mandate and a taxpayer funded government program is kind of nominal, but there is an important distinction between them. The mandate forces us to participate in a broken industry that will continue to abuse us and I don't think the current bill will fix that. A "Medicare for all" system, implemented intelligently (probably a pipe dream), with a proper industry overhaul, would bring us in line with the rest of the industrialized world.


Before you get too excited, keep in mind that there are "single payer systems" and then there are "single payer systems." The services and coverage that I would offer through a single payer system would be fairly limited, covering only the basics. People would have to purchase supplemental plans (or get them through employers) to get something comparable to what's typically available now through private insurers.
Exempt.
Profile Joined May 2011
United States470 Posts
September 08 2011 03:13 GMT
#156
The cool thing about all this is that even IF there's even a remote possibility that it's all truth that the GOP has been trying to mess up congress and shit for 50 years the effects could of been a lot worse. Sure there's corruption and what not, that's normal. The US government is still much cleaner than most. If anything just a fun read =)... long though.
Oreo7
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1647 Posts
September 08 2011 03:17 GMT
#157
Looks like it synthesizes what has been more or less whispered about for a while: Democrats can't do politics and republicans are obstructionist.

People don't understand that just because their are problems with government that doesn't mean the problem is government. T.T
Stork HerO and Protoss everywhere - redfive on bnet
Bippzy
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1466 Posts
September 08 2011 03:18 GMT
#158
On September 08 2011 07:55 HoldenR wrote:
What strikes me as odd is that there are actually people, who are assumingly not upper-elite class, defending the republic party.

It only takes a sliver of insight to be able to see that this is the party of the wealthy. Since politics is run by money, they do everything to get in power and look after the interests of their financial backers. So, how are a bunch of middle and lower class people on forums defending these people? How do you justify destroying your own financial security, TL Republicans? Based on ideals thinking that if you'd worked harder, you'd have been part of the upper class of society?


I'm not terribly educated on this subject, and I've been through enough of the general forum to know that everyone seems to hate fox news and republicans.

Can someone please explain why? I can't really weigh in on this article because no one has given me a relatively unbiased tutorial.
LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK
Fleebenworth
Profile Joined April 2011
463 Posts
September 08 2011 03:22 GMT
#159
Interestingly enough I see a lot of people trashing the author and the source, but very few people are disputing his factual claims - that Republicans support corporate donors and billionaires at the expense of everyone else, and are not genuine when they talk about the need to reduce the deficit, etc.

Yes the Democrats are in the pocket of corporations as well, but at least they nominally support policies which are good for society, as opposed to actively promoting the fiction that global warming isn't real and that our taxes are anything but historically low.
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
September 08 2011 03:27 GMT
#160
On September 08 2011 12:05 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 11:48 Senorcuidado wrote:
On September 08 2011 10:25 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 10:17 Probulous wrote:
On September 08 2011 10:11 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:31 Romantic wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:28 xDaunt wrote:
On September 08 2011 09:22 Romantic wrote:
I find it interesting that the individual mandate - originally a Republican idea - is not the essence of big government intervention. Only goes to show how far the Republican party is from where it was in the 90's.


The individual mandate is unconstitutional (and the Supreme Court is going to strike it down) and should be discarded. The better approach is to create a two-tiered health care system where either the federal government or the states (probably the states would be better) provides a basic level of health care for everyone, and then individuals and/or companies are free to purchase and/or provide to employees supplemental coverage that gives extra benefits.


I can't tell the future like you. The only reason the mandate exists is because Republicans would resist any move towards "Medicare for everyone with supplemental private insurance" as communism and the death of America, so Democrats had to use the corporate healthcare insurance system to get semi-universal coverage.


Well, the Supreme Court has made it pretty clear over the past 16 years or so that it wants to revisit the scope of the commerce clause and that its ready to limit its New Deal jurisprudence. I don't think many people are expecting the individual mandate to survive. In fact, there was an interesting New Yorker article a week ago or so on Justice Thomas's influence on the Court and how the Obamacare case is looking to be his defining moment. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/29/110829fa_fact_toobin

As for the "medicare for all with supplemental private insurance" idea, I agree that republicans are predisposed to oppose it. However, I believe that it's the type of idea that they might accept as a replacement for Obamacare, assuming that 1) the program is inexpensive enough, and 2) the benefits provided are relatively minimal.



Which in and of itself is patently absurd. Universal coverage of any type is far more socialist than an individual mandate. At least with the mandate you can choose which plan to purchase. Medicare for all is just a smaller version of a single payer system with supplemental insurance. If the Reps went for this, then they have no right calling Obama socialist.


The difference may seem absurd, but it's very important. There's a big difference between the federal government providing a service with tax dollars and the federal government forcing you to buy a product. It's not all that different in the context of structuring health care, but it's crucial in other contexts.




Wow, I actually think I totally agree with you. I'm surprised to hear you advocate a single-payer system, as that was so far from palatable that Congress had to jump right to the "public option" and finally negotiate down to the stupid do-nothing bill we ended up with. I don't like the idea of an individual mandate either, and I really can't see the constitutional argument for it, but I would love a single-payer system for basic health care. Financially, the difference between a mandate and a taxpayer funded government program is kind of nominal, but there is an important distinction between them. The mandate forces us to participate in a broken industry that will continue to abuse us and I don't think the current bill will fix that. A "Medicare for all" system, implemented intelligently (probably a pipe dream), with a proper industry overhaul, would bring us in line with the rest of the industrialized world.


Before you get too excited, keep in mind that there are "single payer systems" and then there are "single payer systems." The services and coverage that I would offer through a single payer system would be fairly limited, covering only the basics. People would have to purchase supplemental plans (or get them through employers) to get something comparable to what's typically available now through private insurers.


Yeah, I understand what you're talking about. We may disagree on the specifics that constitute "basic health care" but I think starting there is much more desirable than a mandate, as well as having more potential for a meaningful reform of the industry. Unfortunately, even the limited approach you advocate would be labeled socialism and shot down by Republicans immediately, don't you think?
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
SteadfastSC81
EnkiAlexander 7
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech128
SteadfastSC 81
Rex 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 51428
Bisu 2260
Horang2 1288
Hyuk 701
BeSt 445
Soma 445
Mini 430
EffOrt 332
Light 328
Larva 265
[ Show more ]
Rush 165
ZerO 146
Mong 111
Barracks 90
Leta 83
Pusan 66
Snow 64
Sea.KH 57
ToSsGirL 53
Mind 41
Aegong 30
Yoon 29
JYJ 26
Bale 23
Sexy 23
sorry 19
Terrorterran 13
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Icarus 8
Dota 2
Gorgc4568
XaKoH 377
Counter-Strike
Fnx 702
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1390
Khaldor1133
Lowko458
Other Games
gofns33041
singsing2033
olofmeister1271
B2W.Neo426
hiko383
Livibee198
Beastyqt114
Mew2King74
Liquid`VortiX74
ArmadaUGS60
ZerO(Twitch)9
djWHEAT2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream150
StarCraft 2
ComeBackTV 138
TaKeTV 109
IntoTheiNu 94
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
Other Games
BasetradeTV0
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH201
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 57m
CranKy Ducklings
20h 57m
Online Event
21h 57m
FEL
1d 2h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.