• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:40
CEST 03:40
KST 10:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7315 users

Republican nominations - Page 539

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 537 538 539 540 541 575 Next
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
March 10 2012 16:09 GMT
#10761
On March 10 2012 18:00 sc2superfan101 wrote:
man Santorum gets really blasted in this thread. it always makes me feel so wierd posting in here knowing i'm probably the only one that kind of wants him to win the nomination.


You are. I work for a Republican, and I wouldn't even HESITATE to vote for Obama over him.
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
March 10 2012 16:16 GMT
#10762
On March 11 2012 00:43 Risen wrote:

Edit: This was sparked b/c I told him I voted for Santorum and he responded with this before I could tell him I only did it b/c I wanted the party to burn so it could be rebuilt...


It will be. I was speaking with a handful of the younger people in the office I work with (it's a campaign office). I was surprised at how many of them essentially consider themselves to be the social liberal/economic conservative that many of us moderates really want. They basically say they have to deal witht he religious attachment simply because it's needed at this point to win elections. In 20 years, these individuals will be the ones running the Republican Party (at least in my state). It gives me hope.
Derez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Netherlands6068 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-10 16:27:29
March 10 2012 16:25 GMT
#10763
On March 10 2012 23:44 BioNova wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 23:02 Defacer wrote:
Sometimes I wish Americans could live abroad for a few years and just follow American politics, from the outside looking in. On the same note, I wish I could live in the states a couple of years and be exposed to your media. I have no idea how you siphon through whatever bullshit these politicians are throwing at you these days.

I understand that people don't agree with Obama. But if he didn't get a second term in would be a real shame. It's obvious to the international community that he may be one of the brightest and talented leaders in world right now.

I just hope Americans don't wake up one day hearing about how President Santorum sent 40,000 more troops to Iran and realize they took Obama for granted.








Funny, I've heard the live abroad, and look within line more than a dozen times. Jesse Ventura was the last I think use that term. Out of all the people who have used that phrase, you might be the only one who said it stumping for Obama.

I more than 'don't agree'. The shame is people who evidently at this late hour still believe in hope and change(from him).

Sc2Superfan, when you approach middle -age, you've heard all the BS before from multiple candidates, you tend to not end up falling in to the candidates 'pillow talk' and the internet wasn't accesible like when I was 18 and 1000 points of light were shining thru my living room. Obama failed you, and democrats, and anyone who voted on his 08 campaign that isn't a insider. Whistleblower, Gitmo, Perpetual Warfare. At least his stazi brown shirts are not fully fuctional yet. Good ole lame duck shenanigans to come...



He was actually arguing against Obama and voted for McCain. It's also ironic how all the 'policies' you mention are policies originally instituted by his republican predecessor. Your 'perpetual warfare' is a leftover from the glorious Bush years, as is Gitmo, as are the bailouts, as are most encroachments on your personal freedom (I'd say the patriot act was the bigger evil then the healthcare bill).

Obama disappointed the far left, because his policies are too moderate, I'll give you that. Obama is essentially a centrist moderate, as was Clinton before him. Especially when it comes to foreign policy he has done a much better job then his predecessor: The republican bush years led to two major conflicts, one of them avoidable, both of them poorly planned. Obama blew a couple of billion bombing Libya, but that's about it. He has run a sane, multilateral foreign policy and I honestly don't see how the republicans are offering an alternative at all, even more so when you take the actual campaign promises into account (bomb, bomb, bomb Iran). How promising a new middle eastern conflict is winning anyone votes is beyond me.
Doublemint
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria8760 Posts
March 10 2012 16:32 GMT
#10764
On March 11 2012 01:16 BluePanther wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2012 00:43 Risen wrote:

Edit: This was sparked b/c I told him I voted for Santorum and he responded with this before I could tell him I only did it b/c I wanted the party to burn so it could be rebuilt...


It will be. I was speaking with a handful of the younger people in the office I work with (it's a campaign office). I was surprised at how many of them essentially consider themselves to be the social liberal/economic conservative that many of us moderates really want. They basically say they have to deal witht he religious attachment simply because it's needed at this point to win elections. In 20 years, these individuals will be the ones running the Republican Party (at least in my state). It gives me hope.


Now that is something that gives me hope for the Republican party as well. I don´t have got anything against faith, but Santorum is preaching for a way back to the "stone age" when it comes to societal policies, and tries to sell it as an economic/freedom issue for the most part. Just pathetic.
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before the fall.
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-10 16:58:22
March 10 2012 16:57 GMT
#10765
On March 11 2012 01:25 Derez wrote:


He was actually arguing against Obama and voted for McCain. It's also ironic how all the 'policies' you mention are policies originally instituted by his republican predecessor. Your 'perpetual warfare' is a leftover from the glorious Bush years, as is Gitmo, as are the bailouts, as are most encroachments on your personal freedom (I'd say the patriot act was the bigger evil then the healthcare bill).

Obama disappointed the far left, because his policies are too moderate, I'll give you that. Obama is essentially a centrist moderate, as was Clinton before him. Especially when it comes to foreign policy he has done a much better job then his predecessor: The republican bush years led to two major conflicts, one of them avoidable, both of them poorly planned. Obama blew a couple of billion bombing Libya, but that's about it. He has run a sane, multilateral foreign policy and I honestly don't see how the republicans are offering an alternative at all, even more so when you take the actual campaign promises into account (bomb, bomb, bomb Iran). How promising a new middle eastern conflict is winning anyone votes is beyond me.


Perpetual warfare isn't something that Bush started... remember Korea? Veitnam? Cold War? Gulf Wars? Several others?


And to say Obama is a centrist is somewhat laughable. He's a centrist and moderate in foreign affairs (which is good imo), but he's far from that when it comes to domestic policies. Unlike the last election, this one will not be dominated by foreign affairs discussions. It will be decided on domestic and cultural affairs. On those topics, Obama is somewhat of an outsider.
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
March 10 2012 17:06 GMT
#10766
On March 11 2012 01:57 BluePanther wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2012 01:25 Derez wrote:


He was actually arguing against Obama and voted for McCain. It's also ironic how all the 'policies' you mention are policies originally instituted by his republican predecessor. Your 'perpetual warfare' is a leftover from the glorious Bush years, as is Gitmo, as are the bailouts, as are most encroachments on your personal freedom (I'd say the patriot act was the bigger evil then the healthcare bill).

Obama disappointed the far left, because his policies are too moderate, I'll give you that. Obama is essentially a centrist moderate, as was Clinton before him. Especially when it comes to foreign policy he has done a much better job then his predecessor: The republican bush years led to two major conflicts, one of them avoidable, both of them poorly planned. Obama blew a couple of billion bombing Libya, but that's about it. He has run a sane, multilateral foreign policy and I honestly don't see how the republicans are offering an alternative at all, even more so when you take the actual campaign promises into account (bomb, bomb, bomb Iran). How promising a new middle eastern conflict is winning anyone votes is beyond me.


Perpetual warfare isn't something that Bush started... remember Korea? Veitnam? Cold War? Gulf Wars? Several others?


And to say Obama is a centrist is somewhat laughable. He's a centrist and moderate in foreign affairs (which is good imo), but he's far from that when it comes to domestic policies. Unlike the last election, this one will not be dominated by foreign affairs discussions. It will be decided on domestic and cultural affairs. On those topics, Obama is somewhat of an outsider.


On what exactly Obama not a centrist?
BioNova
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States598 Posts
March 10 2012 17:11 GMT
#10767
On March 11 2012 01:25 Derez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 23:44 BioNova wrote:
On March 10 2012 23:02 Defacer wrote:
Sometimes I wish Americans could live abroad for a few years and just follow American politics, from the outside looking in. On the same note, I wish I could live in the states a couple of years and be exposed to your media. I have no idea how you siphon through whatever bullshit these politicians are throwing at you these days.

I understand that people don't agree with Obama. But if he didn't get a second term in would be a real shame. It's obvious to the international community that he may be one of the brightest and talented leaders in world right now.

I just hope Americans don't wake up one day hearing about how President Santorum sent 40,000 more troops to Iran and realize they took Obama for granted.








Funny, I've heard the live abroad, and look within line more than a dozen times. Jesse Ventura was the last I think use that term. Out of all the people who have used that phrase, you might be the only one who said it stumping for Obama.

I more than 'don't agree'. The shame is people who evidently at this late hour still believe in hope and change(from him).

Sc2Superfan, when you approach middle -age, you've heard all the BS before from multiple candidates, you tend to not end up falling in to the candidates 'pillow talk' and the internet wasn't accesible like when I was 18 and 1000 points of light were shining thru my living room. Obama failed you, and democrats, and anyone who voted on his 08 campaign that isn't a insider. Whistleblower, Gitmo, Perpetual Warfare. At least his stazi brown shirts are not fully fuctional yet. Good ole lame duck shenanigans to come...



He was actually arguing against Obama and voted for McCain. It's also ironic how all the 'policies' you mention are policies originally instituted by his republican predecessor. Your 'perpetual warfare' is a leftover from the glorious Bush years, as is Gitmo, as are the bailouts, as are most encroachments on your personal freedom (I'd say the patriot act was the bigger evil then the healthcare bill).

Obama disappointed the far left, because his policies are too moderate, I'll give you that. Obama is essentially a centrist moderate, as was Clinton before him. Especially when it comes to foreign policy he has done a much better job then his predecessor: The republican bush years led to two major conflicts, one of them avoidable, both of them poorly planned. Obama blew a couple of billion bombing Libya, but that's about it. He has run a sane, multilateral foreign policy and I honestly don't see how the republicans are offering an alternative at all, even more so when you take the actual campaign promises into account (bomb, bomb, bomb Iran). How promising a new middle eastern conflict is winning anyone votes is beyond me.


I'm not a supporter of the neoconservative wing of either party. I did not support Bush 2 at all and I would be curious when blaming Obama's choices to continue Bush's policies became a bash on anyone else but Obama himself.

Same Sec of Defense, same monetary policy, look forward, not look back. We are in year 12 of Bushisms and the only thing clear is most people reject if flatly. The major difference seems to be who they blame for the situation. Santorum, no good. Romney, whatever. Gingrich, please. Obama is one of these 4, just coke not pepsi. Democrats might want to offer up, I don't know, maybe a democrat. It's tiresome to listen to the parties play patisan games when looking at vote counts out of the house and senate shows little difference. Obama had some Majority congress time, it wasn't the damn repub's blocking all 4 years. I'm a a perma-minority supporting Paul's principles. Not some Repub hack. I'd almost prefer Santorum so the Balkinization(sarcasm) can begin, rather than furthering bush years 12-16, or worse since lame duck presidents can do some rather odd things.


It's not going to go well for me, personally. I could see republicans being pleased with Obama, just not most Democrats with expectations past election day 2008. If they wanted Bush out, they didn't do a piss porr job in voting, Obama did a piss poor job on 'Democratin' or following campaign rhetoric with anything that resembles results.



I used to like trumpets, now I prefer pause. "Don't move a muscle JP!"
Signet
Profile Joined March 2007
United States1718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-10 17:19:06
March 10 2012 17:15 GMT
#10768
On March 10 2012 18:46 Pillage wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 18:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
Why nitpick? Because we are not talking about our mother-in-law or the color our wife wants to paint the bathroom... We are picking the gawdang leader of the FREE WORLD(at least economically)!

I expect my president to hurdle a bar placed a bit higher than not being "incomprehensible".

As for Santorum and his radical social beliefs... I think one of the main issues is that a significant amount of Santorum supporters believe the story of Genesis literally. Yet they consider any discussion about the validity of that belief an assault on their faith, but then decry political correctness...

I personally would like to see the principles of hardcore social conservatism debated on the national stage and I don't think there are many people who could do it better than Santorum.


You missed my point. I'd rather discuss things like you've mentioned, rather than how someone pronounces a word that has multiple pronunciations depending on languages, dialects, etc

As Pillage said -- there are lots of regional ways of speaking English in America; it depends on where you live and where you grew up. The majority of people I know say "Eye-rack" and almost all of them are college educated, many with graduate school degrees.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
March 10 2012 17:51 GMT
#10769
On March 11 2012 00:57 DamnCats wrote:
Show nested quote +
as it was not very heavy on facts, figures, numbers, or even specific policies. but that's how it goes with me, and for a large part of conservatives, i believe.


sc2superfan = stephen colbert?

Best post in this thread.


Haha... On that note I think it says a lot that the people who have the most rational and even keeled summation of whats been transpiring in the USA aren't the news reporters or politicians but our comedians, like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Rush Limbaugh by his own admission should have been deported years ago.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 10 2012 18:41 GMT
#10770
Further evidence of the MASSIVE ego that is Newt Gingrich. His way or the highway even if an entire party burns around him.

ELLISVILLE, Miss. — Spurning calls for him to get out, Newt Gingrich insisted Friday that he’ll stay in the race for the Republican presidential nomination even if he loses two Southern primaries next week.

“I think there’s a fair chance we’ll win,” the former House speaker told The Associated Press about the contests Tuesday in Alabama and Mississippi. “But I just want to set this to rest once and for all. We’re going to Tampa.”

Gingrich said he intended to campaign all the way to the Republican National Convention in August, regardless of whether he has won the 1,144 delegates needed to clinch the nomination.

His comments contradicted assertions by a key aide that Gingrich must win both states to remain viable.

Asked if he must win the pair, Gingrich replied: “No.”

Gingrich, who represented Georgia in Congress for two decades, spent most of the week shuttling between Alabama and Mississippi, addressing hundreds at rallies across both states about his proposal to expand U.S. petroleum exploration and drive gas prices down to $2.50 a gallon.

He won a home field primary in Georgia, his only victory among the 10 states that voted earlier this week, and canceled a scheduled trip to Kansas, which holds caucuses Saturday, to maintain his focus on the Deep South. His only other win of the season came in South Carolina in January.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
darthfoley
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States8004 Posts
March 10 2012 19:17 GMT
#10771
the longer the republicans fight, the easier it will be for obama.

so keep fighting!
watch the wall collide with my fist, mostly over problems that i know i should fix
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
March 10 2012 20:08 GMT
#10772
All of them stay in, Romney can't get the delegates and we get a Santorum-Gingrich ticket. Oh my, how lovely would that be!

I can always dream
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 10 2012 20:37 GMT
#10773
Rick Santorum was projected the winner of the 2012 Kansas Caucus on Saturday by the AP.

In the contest, 40 delegates were at stake. The results come less than one week after ten states held primaries or caucuses on Super Tuesday.

The race for the Republican presidential nomination will now turn to the South ahead of the Alabama primary and Mississippi primary, which will take place on Tuesday. Voters in Hawaii will cast ballots in the state's caucus the same day.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
March 10 2012 21:32 GMT
#10774
But it’s not just environmentalists who are howling in the wilderness.

“The firms involved have asked the US State Department to approve this project, even as they’ve told Canadian government officials how the pipeline can be used to add at least $4 billion to the US fuel bill,” Philip K. Verleger, president of PKVerleger LLC, a Colorado consulting firm that specializes in research on oil market economics, wrote in a Minneapolis Star-Tribune commentary last March.

US farmers who spent $12.4 billion on fuel in 2009 could see those costs rise to $15 billion or higher if the pipeline goes through, he projects. At least $500 million of the added cost “would come from the Canadian market manipulation,” he wrote.

“Millions of Americans will spend 10 to 20 cents more per gallon for gasoline and diesel fuel as tribute to our ‘friendly’ neighbors to the north,” the highly respected Dr. Verleger wrote. “The Keystone XL pipeline will move production from Canadian oil sands to a deepwater port from where it can be exported.”

But that is not merely Verleger’s opinion. It’s based on findings of the economic consultants hired by TransCanada – contained in their analyses of the pipeline’s impact on Canadian oil producers and in official testimony before Canada's National Energy Board.

“Existing markets for Canadian heavy crude, principally [the US Midwest], are currently oversupplied, resulting in price discounting for Canadian heavy crude oil,” concludes a 2009 analysis on behalf of TransCanada by Purvin & Gertz, Inc., an oil economics firm based in Houston. “Access to the [US Gulf Coast] via the Keystone XL Pipeline is expected to strengthen Canadian crude oil pricing in [the Midwest market] by removing this oversupply. This is expected to increase the price of heavy crude to the equivalent cost of imported crude.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2012/0309/Inside-the-Keystone-pipeline-How-much-would-it-really-help-US-consumers


We already knew Gingrich was full of shit with his $2.50/gallon comments, but I think it's rather pertinent that Keystone XL may actually increase oil prices in parts of the US because it'll create a new distribution point in Canada, rather than have it come to the Gulf.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-10 21:42:26
March 10 2012 21:42 GMT
#10775
Doesn't look good for Romney if Kansas is any indicator of the rest of the Bible Belt/Deep South, Santorum crushed him by 30%.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-12 03:32:51
March 10 2012 21:46 GMT
#10776
On March 10 2012 23:44 BioNova wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 23:02 Defacer wrote:
Sometimes I wish Americans could live abroad for a few years and just follow American politics, from the outside looking in. On the same note, I wish I could live in the states a couple of years and be exposed to your media. I have no idea how you siphon through whatever bullshit these politicians are throwing at you these days.

I understand that people don't agree with Obama. But if he didn't get a second term in would be a real shame. It's obvious to the international community that he may be one of the brightest and talented leaders in world right now.

I just hope Americans don't wake up one day hearing about how President Santorum sent 40,000 more troops to Iran and realize they took Obama for granted.








Funny, I've heard the live abroad, and look within line more than a dozen times. Jesse Ventura was the last I think use that term. Out of all the people who have used that phrase, you might be the only one who said it stumping for Obama.

I more than 'don't agree'. The shame is people who evidently at this late hour still believe in hope and change(from him).

Sc2Superfan, when you approach middle -age, you've heard all the BS before from multiple candidates, you tend to not end up falling in to the candidates 'pillow talk' and the internet wasn't accesible like when I was 18 and 1000 points of light were shining thru my living room. Obama failed you,and democrats, and anyone who voted on his 08 campaign that isn't a insider. Whistleblower, Gitmo, Perpetual Warfare. At least his stazi brown shirts are not fully fuctional yet. Good ole lame duck shenanigans to come...




It's exactly this kind of reaction that reinforces my perspective, and makes me feel ... well ... sorry for you.

You see, I DON'T expect a leader or single person -- and certainly not a politician -- to magically change the world through sheer will power and good intentions, as you and many Americans apparently do. ALL POLITICIANS engage in flowery talk, insist that they will change the world ... that's what Americans seem to demand from their leaders.

I also DON'T blame a single person for everything that might disappoint me about the country I live in. I understand the politics and agendas of others will always make getting anything done 20 times more complicated than it needs to be. I understand bureaucracy will always make the execution of an agenda labored and complicated. Have you seen how decisions are made in government, even on a municipal level?

Sure Obama hasn't kept all his promises. He's only been on the job for three years. It took my city a decade just to approve a fucking dog park.

Why are there still Americans that are so naive they seriously believe you can heap all the blame and success in your country upon one person? Do they actually believe the fallacy -- flung at them through hyperbole and slander and attack ads and op-eds and super PACs and stump speeches -- that claims that only ONE PERSON IS TO BLAME and ONLY I CAN SAVE IT?

This is exactly what I mean by wishing Americans could look at their media from the outside. Because it's obvious that when people complain about Obama 'not getting something done', they should actually be frustrated with the plodding and laborious nature of their federal government overall, and it's inability to make or act upon swift decisions.

I personally expect a world leader to be: well-spoken, worldly, able to build consensus, negotiate well, make intelligent final decisions, and mobilize people when he needs to. Some of these decisions include knowing when to compromise, knowing when to push your agenda, and knowing when to STFU and let your opponent dig their own grave. Obama is pretty good in this regard.

Expecting more -- overhauling the whole structure of government and departments overnight, raising or cutting taxes at the drop of a hat, killing trillions of dollars of social services at a whim, ending a war with a phone call -- is not how the government could -- or should -- work.


DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
March 10 2012 23:51 GMT
#10777
On March 11 2012 06:46 Defacer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 23:44 BioNova wrote:
On March 10 2012 23:02 Defacer wrote:
Sometimes I wish Americans could live abroad for a few years and just follow American politics, from the outside looking in. On the same note, I wish I could live in the states a couple of years and be exposed to your media. I have no idea how you siphon through whatever bullshit these politicians are throwing at you these days.

I understand that people don't agree with Obama. But if he didn't get a second term in would be a real shame. It's obvious to the international community that he may be one of the brightest and talented leaders in world right now.

I just hope Americans don't wake up one day hearing about how President Santorum sent 40,000 more troops to Iran and realize they took Obama for granted.








Funny, I've heard the live abroad, and look within line more than a dozen times. Jesse Ventura was the last I think use that term. Out of all the people who have used that phrase, you might be the only one who said it stumping for Obama.

I more than 'don't agree'. The shame is people who evidently at this late hour still believe in hope and change(from him).

Sc2Superfan, when you approach middle -age, you've heard all the BS before from multiple candidates, you tend to not end up falling in to the candidates 'pillow talk' and the internet wasn't accesible like when I was 18 and 1000 points of light were shining thru my living room. Obama failed you,and democrats, and anyone who voted on his 08 campaign that isn't a insider. Whistleblower, Gitmo, Perpetual Warfare. At least his stazi brown shirts are not fully fuctional yet. Good ole lame duck shenanigans to come...




It's exactly this kind of reaction that reinforces my perspective, and makes me feel ... well ... sorry for you.

You see, I DON'T expect a leader or single person -- and certainly not a politician -- to magically change the world through sheer will power and good intentions, as you and many Americans apparently do. ALL POLITICIANS engage in flowery talk, insist that they will change the world ... that's what Americans seem to demand from their leaders.

I also DON'T blame a single person for everything that might disappoint me about the country I live in. I understand the politics and agendas of others will always make getting anything done 20 times more complicated than it needs to be. I understand bureaucracy will always make the execution of an agenda labored and complicated. Have you seen how decisions are made in government, even on a municipal level?

Sure Obama hasn't kept all his promises. He's only been on the job for three years. It took my city a decade just to approve a fucking dog park.

Why are there still Americans that are so naive to seriously believe you can heap all the blame and success in your country on one person? Do they actually believe the fallacy -- flung at them through hyperbole and slander and attack ads and op-eds and super PACs and stump speeches -- that claims that only ONE PERSON IS TO BLAME and ONLY I CAN SAVE IT?

This is exactly what I mean by wishing Americans could look at their media from the outside. Because it's obvious that when people complain about Obama 'not getting something done', they should actually be frustrated with the plodding and laborious nature of their federal government overall, and it's inability to make or act upon swift decisions.

I personally expect a world leader to be: well-spoken, worldly, able to build consensus, negotiate well, make intelligent final decisions, and mobilize people when he needs to. Some of these decisions include knowing when to compromise, knowing when to push your agenda, and knowing when to STFU and let your opponent bury their own grave. Obama is pretty good in this regard.

Expecting more -- overhauling the whole structure of government and departments overnight, raising or cutting taxes at the drop of a hat, killing trillions of dollars of social services and the drop of a hat, ending a war with a phone call -- is not how the government could -- or should -- work.




What a completely ridiculous notion. American politics is no place for such civil discourse. How dare you.
Sumahi
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Guam5609 Posts
March 11 2012 00:07 GMT
#10778
The Republican nomination process has gotten so crazy, they even pandered to Guam. I come from Guam, and the race is so contested that Rick Santorum called the media in Guam and Romney even sent one of his sons to Guam. For those of you who don't know, Guam is a colony/territory of the US, we don't get to vote for President and have no voting rights in the Congress either. For them to fight over our token delegates is laughable, shows you how tight the race is.
Startale <3, ST_July <3, HongUn <3, Savior <3, Gretorp <3, Nada <3, Rainbow <3, Ret <3, Squirtle <3, Bomber <3
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 11 2012 00:16 GMT
#10779
From the Mathematics/Baseball Guru Nate Silver:

I think Romney campaign is technically wrong in saying it won more delegates today; they're including WY delegates that were already counted.


Romney campaign is also counting super delegates that had committed to them previously. So their delegate claim is dubious.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
FookSake
Profile Joined December 2011
United States11 Posts
March 11 2012 00:22 GMT
#10780
On March 11 2012 06:46 Defacer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 23:44 BioNova wrote:
On March 10 2012 23:02 Defacer wrote:
Sometimes I wish Americans could live abroad for a few years and just follow American politics, from the outside looking in. On the same note, I wish I could live in the states a couple of years and be exposed to your media. I have no idea how you siphon through whatever bullshit these politicians are throwing at you these days.

I understand that people don't agree with Obama. But if he didn't get a second term in would be a real shame. It's obvious to the international community that he may be one of the brightest and talented leaders in world right now.

I just hope Americans don't wake up one day hearing about how President Santorum sent 40,000 more troops to Iran and realize they took Obama for granted.








Funny, I've heard the live abroad, and look within line more than a dozen times. Jesse Ventura was the last I think use that term. Out of all the people who have used that phrase, you might be the only one who said it stumping for Obama.

I more than 'don't agree'. The shame is people who evidently at this late hour still believe in hope and change(from him).

Sc2Superfan, when you approach middle -age, you've heard all the BS before from multiple candidates, you tend to not end up falling in to the candidates 'pillow talk' and the internet wasn't accesible like when I was 18 and 1000 points of light were shining thru my living room. Obama failed you,and democrats, and anyone who voted on his 08 campaign that isn't a insider. Whistleblower, Gitmo, Perpetual Warfare. At least his stazi brown shirts are not fully fuctional yet. Good ole lame duck shenanigans to come...




It's exactly this kind of reaction that reinforces my perspective, and makes me feel ... well ... sorry for you.

You see, I DON'T expect a leader or single person -- and certainly not a politician -- to magically change the world through sheer will power and good intentions, as you and many Americans apparently do. ALL POLITICIANS engage in flowery talk, insist that they will change the world ... that's what Americans seem to demand from their leaders.

I also DON'T blame a single person for everything that might disappoint me about the country I live in. I understand the politics and agendas of others will always make getting anything done 20 times more complicated than it needs to be. I understand bureaucracy will always make the execution of an agenda labored and complicated. Have you seen how decisions are made in government, even on a municipal level?

Sure Obama hasn't kept all his promises. He's only been on the job for three years. It took my city a decade just to approve a fucking dog park.

Why are there still Americans that are so naive to seriously believe you can heap all the blame and success in your country on one person? Do they actually believe the fallacy -- flung at them through hyperbole and slander and attack ads and op-eds and super PACs and stump speeches -- that claims that only ONE PERSON IS TO BLAME and ONLY I CAN SAVE IT?

This is exactly what I mean by wishing Americans could look at their media from the outside. Because it's obvious that when people complain about Obama 'not getting something done', they should actually be frustrated with the plodding and laborious nature of their federal government overall, and it's inability to make or act upon swift decisions.

I personally expect a world leader to be: well-spoken, worldly, able to build consensus, negotiate well, make intelligent final decisions, and mobilize people when he needs to. Some of these decisions include knowing when to compromise, knowing when to push your agenda, and knowing when to STFU and let your opponent dig their own grave. Obama is pretty good in this regard.

Expecting more -- overhauling the whole structure of government and departments overnight, raising or cutting taxes at the drop of a hat, killing trillions of dollars of social services at a whim, ending a war with a phone call -- is not how the government could -- or should -- work.




upvote

(Oh politics. Me-from-four-years-ago would kick the crap out of present-me for caring as much about it as I do now - I was mostly a Carlin-ist)
Remember: the enemy's gate is down!
Prev 1 537 538 539 540 541 575 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 160
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2568
Dota 2
monkeys_forever678
NeuroSwarm202
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe182
Other Games
summit1g8117
Day[9].tv669
JimRising 569
C9.Mang0286
PiGStarcraft118
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick848
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• davetesta16
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv669
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
8h 20m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
22h 20m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.