• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:12
CEST 17:12
KST 00:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8703 users

College Acceptance Thread '11 - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 36 Next All
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
March 25 2011 00:20 GMT
#121
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
March 25 2011 00:21 GMT
#122
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.
6581
DisneylandSC
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands435 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:26:11
March 25 2011 00:25 GMT
#123
On March 25 2011 09:05 feanor1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 08:49 gerundium wrote:
This always strikes me as weird, what does volunteer work have to do with being a good student? I find that odd to take into account in the admission process. GL to people having to apply to colleges right now!

Probably nothing, but it is something that every college looks at because it tells them what kind of "person" you are. Really seems like self service if the sole reason a ton a people do it is to put it on college apps. Then and again it doesn't make sense that being having white students hurts your academic environment at a school.


Actually, I suspect the reason also has to do with the american educational system. gerundium is from the Netherlands as I am. Over here we have different tiers for highschool. Whereas in america you just have highschool. The level of which is probably less then our highest tier highschool atheneum / gymnasium. As a result you get a huge group of people with really high grades. A problem which is made worse by the way they grade stuff in America.

Of course universities do want some way to seperate the good from the really good, and also students in such an environment need a way to set themselves apart from everyone else with "perfect" grades. Stuff like volunteer work lets you do just that.
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
March 25 2011 00:26 GMT
#124
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


Sorry about that man. :/ I have a friend who was both Siemens Semifinalist and got waitlisted too.
All these top schools are so difficult to get into. T_T I don't even have any of these, and I'm scared to hell by all of you guys.
darkness overpowering
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:29:00
March 25 2011 00:26 GMT
#125
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.


USAMO is obviously biggest; ARML is pretty big too.
Harvard-MIT / Princeton / Stanford / Rice / Duke hold pretty big on-site math meets. Caltech/Harvey Mudd are just beginning their own too, I think.
Many states / regions have their own math contests.
Smaller ones... USAMTS and Mandelbrot are legit, the rest not so much.

And then there's the research competitions (if you do math research)... but yeah it seems like making USAMO is important. (also lol @ USAJMO)

also this stuff doesn't really matter in college anymore, other than bragging rights to your friends >.>
Writer
Hikko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:35:27
March 25 2011 00:27 GMT
#126
I had a 4.35 weighted GPA I think, with a 3.57 unweighted GPA, and a 30 on the ACT. I plan on doing Computer Science. My freshman year GPA screwed me up =/

As far as AP's, I got a 4 on AP Human Geography, World History, US History, and English Literature, but I did not attempt any other tests because they weren't offered at my school. One of my friends and I tried to get AP Computer Science after taking two years of Programming, and we initially had the green light from our principal, but our school district's budget cuts meant that there would be no more programming or non-basic computer classes in our district...

Accepted:

BYU (planning on going here)
BYU-Idaho
UCF

I did not apply anywhere else. I reckon I'm realistic, and I either wanted to get into BYU and live far away from home, or stay at the local university. I also think that people shouldn't apply to a billion universities when they aren't serious about which ones they want to get into, because you're denying people who really do want to go to those schools the opportunity of attending when that is their #1 school of choice.


I did a ton of extracurriculars, such as a year in Marching Band and Ballroom Dance, the Teenage Republican and Young Democrat clubs (concurrently, I was an officer in both...which was amusing ) and three years of Soccer and Tennis.

I think I got into the schools because I have a ton of dual enrollment and AP credits...I'll be going into my Freshman year with 38 credits and a 3.8 college GPA!

What I'm really upset about is that I missed a half tuition scholarship by less than .01 unweighted GPA points...

Hopefully I'll get a lot out of Financial Aid, right?
♥
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:33:50
March 25 2011 00:29 GMT
#127
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


Well fml...does one have to sort of study for those competitions or take classes? Only literal geniuses can do these types of problems with an education limited to high school, right (i.e. taking calc and the like in HS can't possibly prepare one for the problem types in AMC/AIME/USAMO...correct?)?

Also, what do you mean by "here"? How much exactly, additionally, do your region (or school perhaps) matter? .__.

MIT has always been and still is my dream school, so it's really disheartening to see all of these rejections...


On March 25 2011 09:26 ]343[ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.


USAMO is obviously biggest; ARML is pretty big too.
Harvard-MIT / Princeton / Stanford / Rice / Duke hold pretty big on-site math meets. Caltech/Harvey Mudd are just beginning their own too, I think.
Many states / regions have their own math contests.
Smaller ones... USAMTS and Mandelbrot are legit, the rest not so much.

And then there's the research competitions (if you do math research)... but yeah it seems like making USAMO is important. (also lol @ USAJMO)

also this stuff doesn't really matter in college anymore, other than bragging rights to your friends >.>


I will check out ARML; hadn't heard of it until now--I knew only of Mandelbrot/USAMO.

Ugh...I think my math skills really are subpar compared to the smarter group of students and I waste ~9 hours a day online, but I really just don't know how I'm supposed to learn about/prepare for these types of things. Gotta cut my addiction, but I just find the Internet/computer so useful...I'm also a perfectionist and focus 100% of my attention on whatever I'm doing, i.e. right now I'm focusing solely on this thread and some random research, and homework has gotten literally nowhere in 1.5 hours. I don't even know where the time went wtf
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
DarkOptik
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
452 Posts
March 25 2011 00:29 GMT
#128
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


That's not entirely correct: approximately 500 students make it into the USAMO each year. So if we assume that you have three chances out of your applicable years (that is, you can make it as either a freshman, sophomore, or junior) that means that by the time you apply there's only 1500 possible candidates for MIT...and that's just not true. And that's assuming that there are no duplicate students in the USAMO each year.

So no, while it certainly helps, it's by no means required to the extent that you seem to imply.
USK
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
173 Posts
March 25 2011 00:29 GMT
#129
accepted: UCSB, Cal Poly Slo, San Diego State
Rejected: UCSD, and UCLA

had around a 4.2 gpa, 5 on AP bio AP World History and AP US History Tests. and a 4 on the AP Chem Test.
1960 on SAT
790ish on all my SAT2's
Call Me Mr. Roller Coaster...
Itzeddiieee
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)787 Posts
March 25 2011 00:32 GMT
#130
OP stats are imba...

Currently 2nd term junior
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
March 25 2011 00:32 GMT
#131
On March 25 2011 09:29 DarkOptik wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


That's not entirely correct: approximately 500 students make it into the USAMO each year. So if we assume that you have three chances out of your applicable years (that is, you can make it as either a freshman, sophomore, or junior) that means that by the time you apply there's only 1500 possible candidates for MIT...and that's just not true. And that's assuming that there are no duplicate students in the USAMO each year.

So no, while it certainly helps, it's by no means required to the extent that you seem to imply.

I'm saying that as far as math goes--it doesn't really matter until you make it to that level. Again there are regional differences and everything--but USAMO seems to be the minimum here.
6581
resilve
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom678 Posts
March 25 2011 00:32 GMT
#132
Im so glad I got accepted to my university before the recent few years, competition seems insane with rising participation from all classes, and grades keep getting higher/exams easier (at least here).

The whole nasty kind of competition, dog-eat-dog ranking and indisciriminate judgement made me feel physically sick.

Whole american system seems really unpleasant to me.
Socke Fighting!!!!
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
March 25 2011 00:32 GMT
#133
On March 25 2011 09:29 Z3kk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


Well fml...does one have to sort of study for those competitions or take classes? Only literal geniuses can do these types of problems with an education limited to high school, right (i.e. taking calc and the like in HS can't possibly prepare one for the problem types in AMC/AIME/USAMO...correct?)?

Also, what do you mean by "here"? How much exactly, additionally, do your region (or school perhaps) matter? .__.

MIT has always been and still is my dream school, so it's really disheartening to see all of these rejections...


Well, you can study for them but it's going to take a lot of work.
Basically, you're going to have to do problem after problem after problem.
Go through like, The Art of Problem Solving set of books, and you can raise your chances, but just keep doing problems. The idea is that eventually, you'll be able to recognize what type of problems they are, and just solve them. However, this doesn't make you any more talented at math. It's kind of just brute memorization in a way. :/ On the other hand, if you can find your own way of looking at these problems, it could really help with your mathematical understanding.

But yeah, it takes a lot of effort and dedication. I never did it. T_T I suck at math.
darkness overpowering
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 25 2011 00:33 GMT
#134
On March 25 2011 09:29 DarkOptik wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


That's not entirely correct: approximately 500 students make it into the USAMO each year. So if we assume that you have three chances out of your applicable years (that is, you can make it as either a freshman, sophomore, or junior) that means that by the time you apply there's only 1500 possible candidates for MIT...and that's just not true. And that's assuming that there are no duplicate students in the USAMO each year.

So no, while it certainly helps, it's by no means required to the extent that you seem to imply.


well, I think he's referring to being admitted to MIT based on math. I'm pretty sure most (70%?) American MIT math majors have made USAMO. (Also it's now harder to make USAMO again thanks to that USAJMO thingy... lol.)


On March 25 2011 09:32 ghrur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:29 Z3kk wrote:
Well fml...does one have to sort of study for those competitions or take classes? Only literal geniuses can do these types of problems with an education limited to high school, right (i.e. taking calc and the like in HS can't possibly prepare one for the problem types in AMC/AIME/USAMO...correct?)?

Also, what do you mean by "here"? How much exactly, additionally, do your region (or school perhaps) matter? .__.

MIT has always been and still is my dream school, so it's really disheartening to see all of these rejections...


Well, you can study for them but it's going to take a lot of work.
Basically, you're going to have to do problem after problem after problem.
Go through like, The Art of Problem Solving set of books, and you can raise your chances, but just keep doing problems. The idea is that eventually, you'll be able to recognize what type of problems they are, and just solve them. However, this doesn't make you any more talented at math. It's kind of just brute memorization in a way. :/ On the other hand, if you can find your own way of looking at these problems, it could really help with your mathematical understanding.

But yeah, it takes a lot of effort and dedication. I never did it. T_T I suck at math.


Pretty much. Spend hundreds, thousands of hours doing problems and you'll get good
Writer
b3h47pte
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States1317 Posts
March 25 2011 00:34 GMT
#135
On March 25 2011 09:32 Loser777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:29 DarkOptik wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
[quote]
Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


That's not entirely correct: approximately 500 students make it into the USAMO each year. So if we assume that you have three chances out of your applicable years (that is, you can make it as either a freshman, sophomore, or junior) that means that by the time you apply there's only 1500 possible candidates for MIT...and that's just not true. And that's assuming that there are no duplicate students in the USAMO each year.

So no, while it certainly helps, it's by no means required to the extent that you seem to imply.

I'm saying that as far as math goes--it doesn't really matter until you make it to that level. Again there are regional differences and everything--but USAMO seems to be the minimum here.


At my school it seems to me that the only people who get in are the girls =\
Girls are OP at tech schools.
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
March 25 2011 00:36 GMT
#136
On March 25 2011 09:34 b3h47pte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:32 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:29 DarkOptik wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
[quote]

Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


That's not entirely correct: approximately 500 students make it into the USAMO each year. So if we assume that you have three chances out of your applicable years (that is, you can make it as either a freshman, sophomore, or junior) that means that by the time you apply there's only 1500 possible candidates for MIT...and that's just not true. And that's assuming that there are no duplicate students in the USAMO each year.

So no, while it certainly helps, it's by no means required to the extent that you seem to imply.

I'm saying that as far as math goes--it doesn't really matter until you make it to that level. Again there are regional differences and everything--but USAMO seems to be the minimum here.


At my school it seems to me that the only people who get in are the girls =\
Girls are OP at tech schools.

Haha, that's one bias that I'm not going to argue against. While roughly the same number of girls/boys admitted to MIT is very close, looking at the number of applicants relative to those accepted for each gender paints a very clear picture.
6581
Hikko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:38:37
March 25 2011 00:37 GMT
#137
Does anyone have experience or information about how much you get from pell grants and federal financial aid? I'm really sick at my stomach thinking about how I'm going to pay for school. My family's income is around $50,000, and my parents are trying to retire, so I'm going to be mostly on my own.

EDIT: Post 700!
♥
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:40:05
March 25 2011 00:38 GMT
#138
On March 25 2011 09:33 ]343[ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:29 DarkOptik wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
[quote]
Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


That's not entirely correct: approximately 500 students make it into the USAMO each year. So if we assume that you have three chances out of your applicable years (that is, you can make it as either a freshman, sophomore, or junior) that means that by the time you apply there's only 1500 possible candidates for MIT...and that's just not true. And that's assuming that there are no duplicate students in the USAMO each year.

So no, while it certainly helps, it's by no means required to the extent that you seem to imply.


well, I think he's referring to being admitted to MIT based on math. I'm pretty sure most (70%?) American MIT math majors have made USAMO. (Also it's now harder to make USAMO again thanks to that USAJMO thingy... lol.)


Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:32 ghrur wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:29 Z3kk wrote:
Well fml...does one have to sort of study for those competitions or take classes? Only literal geniuses can do these types of problems with an education limited to high school, right (i.e. taking calc and the like in HS can't possibly prepare one for the problem types in AMC/AIME/USAMO...correct?)?

Also, what do you mean by "here"? How much exactly, additionally, do your region (or school perhaps) matter? .__.

MIT has always been and still is my dream school, so it's really disheartening to see all of these rejections...


Well, you can study for them but it's going to take a lot of work.
Basically, you're going to have to do problem after problem after problem.
Go through like, The Art of Problem Solving set of books, and you can raise your chances, but just keep doing problems. The idea is that eventually, you'll be able to recognize what type of problems they are, and just solve them. However, this doesn't make you any more talented at math. It's kind of just brute memorization in a way. :/ On the other hand, if you can find your own way of looking at these problems, it could really help with your mathematical understanding.

But yeah, it takes a lot of effort and dedication. I never did it. T_T I suck at math.


Pretty much. Spend hundreds, thousands of hours doing problems and you'll get good


So literally only way outside of being a genius is to brute-force work on problems? ._. Any suggestions besides AoPS? I know of those books but have yet to get them...well definitely do that.

On March 25 2011 09:26 ]343[ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:41 Loser777 wrote:
GPA: 3.80UW -UC GPA was something shitty like 4.00
SAT: 2310
SAT IIs: 790 US 790 Physics 800 Math II

ECs: Mixture of various science clubs, competitions and fairs, marching band for four years, few community service hours (~100)

Major Awards: Intel Science Talent Search Semifinalist

UC Berkeley: Rejected
Harvey Mudd College: Rejected
MIT: Rejected
UC San Diego: Rejected
Stanford: Waiting :/
Carnegie Mellon: Waiting :/
UCLA: Accepted
UCI: Accepted
UCSB: Accepted
UCR: Accepted
UCD: Accepted
USC: Accepted
UIUC: Accepted
University of Michigan: Accepted
University of Texas Austin: Accepted
Cal Poly SLO: Accepted

Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.


USAMO is obviously biggest; ARML is pretty big too.
Harvard-MIT / Princeton / Stanford / Rice / Duke hold pretty big on-site math meets. Caltech/Harvey Mudd are just beginning their own too, I think.
Many states / regions have their own math contests.
Smaller ones... USAMTS and Mandelbrot are legit, the rest not so much.

And then there's the research competitions (if you do math research)... but yeah it seems like making USAMO is important. (also lol @ USAJMO)

also this stuff doesn't really matter in college anymore, other than bragging rights to your friends >.>


Wait, so how much exactly do these matter in regard to EECS? I'm still very much open to possibilities, but do I want to enter a future in STEM and EE currently seems to appeal most to me. ._.

Ugh...I think my math skills really are subpar compared to the smarter group of students and I waste ~9 hours a day online, but I really just don't know how I'm supposed to learn about/prepare for these types of things. Gotta cut my addiction, but I just find the Internet/computer so useful...I'm also a perfectionist and focus 100% of my attention on whatever I'm doing, i.e. right now I'm focusing solely on this thread and some random research, and homework has gotten literally nowhere in 1.5 hours. I don't even know where the time went wtf
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
March 25 2011 00:43 GMT
#139
On March 25 2011 09:32 ghrur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:29 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:21 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:20 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:18 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:14 ]343[ wrote:
On March 25 2011 09:00 Loser777 wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:56 Z3kk wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:49 chenchen wrote:
On March 25 2011 08:42 Froadac wrote:
[quote]
Hmmm. Sort of eerily similar.

My extracurriculars are probably a bit better, and GPA is probably a hare better, but overall very similar.

What major are you wanting to do?


Your extracurriculars are probably a bit better than intel semifinalist =O



How did he get rejected from Berkeley (not saying it's an easy school of course) with those stats omg...intel semifinalist and everything solid except GPA in a pinch...


Considering all the other schools that I didn't get into... I wasn't entirely shocked by this point. You win some you lose some, and by now I figured it was time for me to lose a lot. Obviously people with "lesser" stats get in--it's just a matter of which direction the wind blows.


actually wait a second--are you an "international" (non-permanent resident) student? I might be reading too deeply into the "China" on your profile lol, but that would make it much harder to get into places.

I live in the United States right now and had US Citizenship when I applied. I'm thankful that so many people are offering their sympathies and are trying to reason through with me... as for myself I'm trying not to read too deeply into everything.

As for MIT, I know another Semifinalist at my school who was waitlisted and had a better GPA and SAT score than me--so again, you win some you lose some. My low GPA and lack of math awards sealed my fate there I think.


I always wondered this: what kinds of math awards are there to obtain outside of AMC==>AIME==>USAMO etc.? I have heard of a few, but they seem mostly to be low-leveled or not particularly worthwhile.

Yeah, those are pretty much the big ones... but around here you gotta make it into USAMO or MIT won't bat an eye.


Well fml...does one have to sort of study for those competitions or take classes? Only literal geniuses can do these types of problems with an education limited to high school, right (i.e. taking calc and the like in HS can't possibly prepare one for the problem types in AMC/AIME/USAMO...correct?)?

Also, what do you mean by "here"? How much exactly, additionally, do your region (or school perhaps) matter? .__.

MIT has always been and still is my dream school, so it's really disheartening to see all of these rejections...


Well, you can study for them but it's going to take a lot of work.
Basically, you're going to have to do problem after problem after problem.
Go through like, The Art of Problem Solving set of books, and you can raise your chances, but just keep doing problems. The idea is that eventually, you'll be able to recognize what type of problems they are, and just solve them. However, this doesn't make you any more talented at math. It's kind of just brute memorization in a way. :/ On the other hand, if you can find your own way of looking at these problems, it could really help with your mathematical understanding.

But yeah, it takes a lot of effort and dedication. I never did it. T_T I suck at math.



Yup. I won a regional citywide Math competition once in Manila and that was because I got lucky enough to get familiar questions in the test. The hardest question happened to be something I just studied in a extracurricular competition level math class a week or so before. It's really more about familiarization than talent.
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:44:40
March 25 2011 00:43 GMT
#140
On March 25 2011 09:38 Z3kk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 09:33 ]343[ wrote:
Pretty much. Spend hundreds, thousands of hours doing problems and you'll get good


So literally only way outside of being a genius is to brute-force work on problems? ._. Any suggestions besides AoPS? I know of those books but have yet to get them...well definitely do that.


On March 25 2011 09:20? Z3kk wrote:
Wait, so how much exactly do these matter in regard to EECS? I'm still very much open to possibilities, but do I want to enter a future in STEM and EE currently seems to appeal most to me. ._.

Ugh...I think my math skills really are subpar compared to the smarter group of students and I waste ~9 hours a day online, but I really just don't know how I'm supposed to learn about/prepare for these types of things. Gotta cut my addiction, but I just find the Internet/computer so useful...I'm also a perfectionist and focus 100% of my attention on whatever I'm doing, i.e. right now I'm focusing solely on this thread and some random research, and homework has gotten literally nowhere in 1.5 hours. I don't even know where the time went wtf


If you want to do EECS, you don't necessarily have to do math competitions. In fact, if you want to impress compsci-wise, try things like USACO and Topcoder, or build your own cool electrical gadgets (my temp roommate took apart a Wii and stuck it inside a Macbook... so now you can play Wii 100% portably with a built in screen on it!)

If you really want to do math competitions, you really do need just a little talent and a loooooot of work. How can you be good at anything if you don't put in a lot of time?
Writer
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 454
BRAT_OK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32278
Bisu 2971
Shuttle 1753
Hyuk 1168
EffOrt 627
Mini 492
Larva 447
ZerO 354
Soma 333
firebathero 242
[ Show more ]
Zeus 120
hero 116
Sexy 66
Hyun 46
Last 43
Mong 40
Trap 38
Pusan 36
PianO 34
Killer 32
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 27
Hm[arnc] 22
sorry 20
zelot 15
Terrorterran 14
Rock 12
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7875
qojqva1768
Dendi979
Counter-Strike
fl0m2923
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1499
crisheroes998
Liquid`Hasu548
Lowko463
Other Games
singsing2115
B2W.Neo1263
Beastyqt504
Hui .219
Livibee213
Mlord154
Liquid`VortiX148
KnowMe110
ArmadaUGS104
elazer83
Mew2King81
CosmosSc2 21
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 31
• poizon28 25
• Adnapsc2 11
• mYiSmile111
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8826
• WagamamaTV268
League of Legends
• Jankos1977
Other Games
• Shiphtur170
Upcoming Events
FEL
48m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 48m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 48m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 48m
INu's Battles
20h 48m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.